Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 567 ... LastLast

Thread: Centennial

Default Re: Centennial

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Noyes View Post
    oh, you've got to cut me a little slack on the sandals... it was 90 here yesterday!

Ideally I'm hoping for maybe a season or 2 with her... then on to a new owner/ adventures... so I can make another Centennial or maybe some other interesting local craft that deserves to get built. (you are right though I think she will make a great little adventure boat, I did make sure to build something I will not mind getting stuck with if she never sells )
    I feel the same about my own little adventure boat a-building. There's more fir ply in mine.
    My next grand adventure is already taking shape in my head, and the plans are already in my hand. They were a gift from a dear friend.
    My current boat I'm not sharing here, for reasons, but the next one I will, for sure.

Are you going to call her Centennial? I'm not sure if you've said.

Peace,
    Robert

P.S. About the sandals. I generally don't wear shoes at all. I have flip-flip sandals, huaraches, cowboy boots, skateboard shoes, and deck shoes.
    The last three are specialized, specific use, tool type shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post
    I feel the same about my own little adventure boat a-building. There's more fir ply in mine.
    My next grand adventure is already taking shape in my head, and the plans are already in my hand. They were a gift from a dear friend.
    My current boat I'm not sharing here, for reasons, but the next one I will, for sure.

Are you going to call her Centennial? I'm not sure if you've said.

Peace,
    Robert

P.S. About the sandals. I generally don't wear shoes at all. I have flip-flip sandals, huaraches, cowboy boots, skateboard shoes, and deck shoes.
    The last three are specialized, specific use, tool type shoes.
    the proper tool for the job is a MUST, especially when skateing... ever try ollieing in jogging shoes? not the same.

and No no name yet I am open to suggestions, not sure if I'll need to start a thread to get responses, let's try here.

I cant name her Centennial... Centennial still exists, and she is not Centennial, maybe Centennial II... or Bicentennial, but that was 1976... or what ever the word for 141st aniverrsary is but prolly not.

a good friend came up with the name for the Alpha i built and sailed for a couple years... "Spear" an excellent name for that boat I think... soemthing about how sharp it was and pierced the water... among other things.

If you wait 9 years to launch, you could name it it "Sesquicentennial" for 150 years...

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

Quote Originally Posted by WI-Tom View Post
    If you wait 9 years to launch, you could name it it "Sesquicentennial" for 150 years...

Tom
    ohhh, 9 years... sounds like just enough time to form a Not for Profit and sponsor a trans Atlantic sailing dory race to commemorate the event... with dozens of home built Centennials at the start line!!!

and, and maybe a special class for "Centennial rigged" Scamps! and another class for Portland Pudgys!

ok... my 2 best name ideas so far, besides Spear II are.... reacheater (which is the sound as little local bird makes every morning I go to do work on the hull) or Quascunqun the Indian name for our local estuary where I plan on launching... on July 4th!

July 4th... ohhhh how about "Independence Day" or just Independence... that must have been some early American sloop o war or some such I better google it.... google says yes, and a current littoral combat ship!
    Last edited by Daniel Noyes; 05-22-2017 at 07:40 AM.

How about "A Little Independence"?

What about just plain "Alf"?
    Ben Fuller
    Ran Tan, Liten Kuhling, Vernon Langille, Josef W., Merry Mouth, Imp, Macavity and a quiver of unamed 'yaks.
    "Bound fast is boatless man."

"My 2 Cents"

Phalanx....or your local Native American name for "Friend." The rowboat we restored was named Barbashela, Choctaw for friend. When we build her replica we might name it Hownikan, the Potawatomi version.

Trident? As in, Spear x 3?

Peace,
    Robert

My Two Cents

edit- Shoot didn't notice Skaraborgcraft's same suggestions earlier.
    Last edited by Matt young; 05-23-2017 at 10:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt young View Post
    My Two Cents

hmmm well you guys are making me think... not sure anything is jumping out at me yet but I appreciate the ideas. Ben, I assume "Alf" for Alfred "Centennial" Johnsen.. yeah I though about this angle, not Alf though, kind of like the James Caird replicas.
    still thinking.

in other news, we all know what they say about "The best laid plans of mice and men" well... looks like I will be trailering up to SRR this year, the sailing there is going to be a "bridge too far" and I'm not comfortable with the amount of prep and shake down time I will have ended up with (if any) before the go date... got to leave an adventure for next year!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt young View Post
    My Two Cents

can you guys explain the 2 cents a little more? is it a cute play on words/phrase because this is the second Centennial?... still thinking.

I also like the sound of Alf.... Just headin' down to the bay with Alf..... Alf and I are going to head for Mount Desert.... my buddy Alf. Sounds like a big hard working and drinking kind of guy.
    Ben Fuller
    Ran Tan, Liten Kuhling, Vernon Langille, Josef W., Merry Mouth, Imp, Macavity and a quiver of unamed 'yaks.

Did somebody call?

-Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Woxbox View Post
    Did somebody call?

No, not you, Mr. Shumway.

Peace,
    Robert

Quote Originally Posted by Woxbox View Post
    Did somebody call?

Looks like 'Alf to me.
    Ben Fuller

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Fuller View Post
    Looks like 'Alf to me.
    Alf... maybe a good name for the ships cat.

BAD

Big ass dory.....

Tribute.

Has a nice ring, to me.

Peace,
    Robert

Daniel, "my two cents"
    -play on words based on the original name

-it's your version of the original and it's the second

-a bit of a joke considering you like many of us are happy to share your opinion

But I actually prefer people names as boat names. Something sweet but tough. Like you boat is looking.

Or..... "millennial" not saying you are one, but it does fit.

... keep'em coming!

Independence Day is still my favorite.

oh maybe "Spirit o' 76"... (but which 76?)

Wikipedia...
    Congress debated and revised the wording of the Declaration, finally approving it two days later on July 4. A day earlier, John Adams had written to his wife Abigail:
    The second day of July, 1776, will be the most memorable epoch in the history of America. I am apt to believe that it will be celebrated by succeeding generations as the great anniversary festival. It ought to be commemorated as the day of deliverance, by solemn acts of devotion to God Almighty. It ought to be solemnized with pomp and parade, with shows, games, sports, guns, bells, bonfires, and illuminations, from one end of this continent to the other, from this time forward forever more.[7]

I wonder what the word for "Centennial" is in Danish?...

I may attempt to E-Mail Johnson's great great grand daughter, aparently her father was very active in contributing to the 2003 book about Johnsons crossing, and traveled to Whales to participate in the dedication and placment of a plaqe that commemorated the feat... guess I could ask for name suggestions.
    Last edited by Daniel Noyes; 05-25-2017 at 10:05 PM.

you're good!

and yes that's the tabernackle.

That really shows how much volume there is in the hull. It looked much shallower in the shed - it'll be interesting to see how she goes when you get her in the water.

Pete
    Don't underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers!

I wonder what the word for "Centennial" is in Danish?...

I may attempt to E-Mail Johnson's great great grand daughter, aparently her father was very active in contributing to the 2003 book about Johnsons crossing, and traveled to Whales to participate in the dedication and placment of a plaqe that commemorated the feat... guess I could ask for name suggestions.
    hundredårsdag, still think I like the ship's cat name, short simple not complicated. Easy to understand and makes the connection. But you are looking at a guy who has boats named Tipsy (the dory), Tippy ( the iceboat), Rantan, Josef W.,( which could have been plain Joe) Macavity, Imp
    Ben Fuller

Quote Originally Posted by epoxyboy View Post
    That really shows how much volume there is in the hull. It looked much shallower in the shed - it'll be interesting to see how she goes when you get her in the water.

Pete
    I've got to get a shot of the interior before it gets too cluttered, I already put in the stern compartment water tight bulkhead. It's quite a view sitting in the bow looking aft under the deck

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Fuller View Post
    hundredårsdag, still think I like the ship's cat name, short simple not complicated. Easy to understand and makes the connection. But you are looking at a guy who has boats named Tipsy (the dory), Tippy ( the iceboat), Rantan, Josef W.,( which could have been plain Joe) Macavity, Imp
    I'm with you Ben, Alpha named Spear, ice boat Fast, sailing skiff Bagger... I'm just feeling like Centennial may want something a little... more.

I wonder if Centennial had a name? in early references I've come across she is referred to as Alfred Johnsons centennial dory, or The Centennial Dory... ? it seems Johnson had a love of Gloucester she has the citys name along her sheer strake and a large G painted in a stripe on her tombstone.

I have a long list of cool boat names on my studio wall, but for some reason, when thinking of your boat, "Braveheart" came to mind. And I don't even really know the movie well at all.

Maybe it's her intended mission.

Great work!

Mike
    "near it, a small whale-boat, painted red and blue, the delight of the king's old age."

You could always call her Gee.....
    Ben Fuller

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon1 View Post
    I have a long list of cool boat names on my studio wall, but for some reason, when thinking of your boat, "Braveheart" came to mind. And I don't even really know the movie well at all.

Maybe it's her intended mission.

Great work!

Mike
    ahhh ok a new direction here... the "English connection" your making me think, i had to look up the name of the lil town in Whales where Johnson landed

Abercastle could be a cool name for a boat, ... also he landed in Whales... I could refer to this dory as a "Wales Boat" maybe get someone to correct me, no that's actually a banks dory
    Last edited by Daniel Noyes; 05-27-2017 at 07:52 AM.

paint going on below decks aboard the good ship Abercastle. Transom bulkhead installed and water tight.

can't wait to get out there... brings back memories of sailing bankers o' yester year!
    Last edited by Daniel Noyes; 05-28-2017 at 09:26 PM.

hatch coamings going on.

Daaaaaamn Dory Dan, you be crushing

Quote Originally Posted by callsign222 View Post
    Daaaaaamn Dory Dan, you be crushing
    Like Gojira in Tokyo son!... I have to be for a July launch.

What's that boat hanging over the dory? -- wade