Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 789 ... LastLast

Thread: Centennial

Default Re: Centennial

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Noyes View Post
    she'll be going into Essex County waters here in Massachusetts, within sight (on a clear day) of the her originals port, the town of Gloucester. on ... July 4th of course, I have invited a great great great grandson of Alfred "Centennial" Johnsen to attend (awaiting a response). should be fun! Ill have her in for the day, maybe over night and a short shake down sail and trim/ballast adjustment.

it's likely her first serious sailing will be on Blue Hill Bay at the SRR... I'm on the list #67.
    Back in the day there would have been a brass band, and really really big flags along with bunting. If you were in Thomaston you could go right from the parade to the boat ramp. You got a local parade?
    Ben Fuller
    Ran Tan, Liten Kuhling, Tipsy, Tippy, Josef W., Merry Mouth, Imp, Macavity, Look Far, Flash and a quiver of other 'yaks.
    "Bound fast is boatless man."

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Fuller View Post
    Back in the day there would have been a brass band, and really really big flags along with bunting. If you were in Thomaston you could go right from the parade to the boat ramp. You got a local parade?
    I prefer my new launchings around 4am, with no onlookers.....

Looking good Dan, that is a bold colour scheme!

every other town around has a parade!, Newbury is a proud Farming community... rapidly transforming into a sleepy bed room community. But I do have plans to sleep aboard the first evening and down at the settlers landing surrounded on 3.5 sides by the great marsh and sand dunes beyond i should have an excellent view (in clear weather) of 6-8 towns fire works displays, including Gloucesters.

just got to get some mosquito netting before the 4th!

Quote Originally Posted by skaraborgcraft View Post
    I prefer my new launchings around 4am, with no onlookers.....

Looking good Dan, that is a bold colour scheme!
    I know what you mean... but eventually you get used to it, when I launched the Alpha Dory I drove it 5 hours north to the Small Reach Regatta and put it in the water for the first time in front of 100+- other small boat sailors... the next one, Centennial rowing hull I droped it off with the owner at the Maine Boat builders show and told him to have fun with it, but I was confident it would row nice....

as far as the "bold" color scheme goes...yeah, this guy was sailing a 20' dory across the Atlantic Ocean in 1876.... hows that for bold

painting the rail.

Last edited by Daniel Noyes; 06-25-2017 at 11:10 PM.

getting ready for rigging... t-36 hrs and counting...

Awesome, Dan!
    Clinton B. Chase
    Portland, Maine

http://tinyurl.com/myboats

Quote Originally Posted by Clinton B Chase View Post
    Awesome, Dan!
    thanks Clint, looking forward to sailing with you soon.

careening for centerboard install.

One of the unheralded features of dories is the ability to roll them up on the side for bottom painting. Come up to the Reach Regatta a day early so you can stop in to the Mannings and show them your work. Not sure they will make it to the event. I have their phone number.
    Ben Fuller
    Ran Tan, Liten Kuhling, Tipsy, Tippy, Josef W., Merry Mouth, Imp, Macavity, Look Far, Flash and a quiver of other 'yaks.

One of the unheralded features of dories is the ability to roll them up on the side for bottom painting. Come up to the Reach Regatta a day early so you can stop in to the Mannings and show them your work. Not sure they will make it to the event. I have their phone number.

ok that would be awesome and a real honor. I'll PM you my travel schedule nd we can see what works best.

Daniel, is the complete lack of shape on the centerboard faithful to the original design? I get that they didn't know about foils back when the original was built, but would have thought they might have at least rounded off the leading a bit.
    And does it even make a difference, as there are plenty of boats out there with flat plate steel boards, that seem to do fine.

Pete
    Don't underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers!

Launch Party, food folks and fun! Folks... including the great great grand daughter and great great great Grand Son of Alfred "Centennial" Johnson!

dressing ship.

success!

Congrats on the successful launch. Did all the water stay on the outside of the boat? Seems to be riding really high. Is ballast needed?
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Noyes View Post
    Launch Party, food folks and fun! Folks... including the great great grand daughter and great great great Grand Son of Alfred "Centennial" Johnson!

dressing ship.

success!

Dude, she is BEAUTIFUL! Just stunning. I am always surprised at how handsome three board boats can be, no matter how many I see.

Three board like a bottom board, and two side boards. Sampans, scows, sharpies, dories. Gosh, some are just lovely.

Nice work. Have fun.

Peace,
    Robert

Congrats. What Rob said.

Pete

thanks guys!

no leaks... just good times.

Well done. Smiling kids says it all!

Congratulations! That last picture is great.
    -Jim

Sucker for a pretty face.
    1934 27' Blanchard Cuiser ~ Amazon, Ex. Emalu
    19'6" Caledonia Yawl ~ Sparrow

Getting into trouble one board at a time.

As much as Centennial is a no frills, super serious, passage making machine... the tykes seemed completely enchanted with her. One of the little ones started excitedly trying to tell me about Swallows and Amazons and got a bit lost in the plot.

A most fitting launch for the Fourth of July.
    Almost like you planned it that way.....
    Congratulations. Fast build too.

Congrats. That's a fine looking boat.

Kenny
    "Oh my god, Triscuits are, like, the best." L.F Herreshoff, The Compleat Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by epoxyboy View Post
    Daniel, is the complete lack of shape on the centerboard faithful to the original design? I get that they didn't know about foils back when the original was built, but would have thought they might have at least rounded off the leading a bit.
    And does it even make a difference, as there are plenty of boats out there with flat plate steel boards, that seem to do fine.

Pete
    Hi Pete, got a lil distracted today. to answer your question, I dont know, the boat is on display at Cape Anne Museaum and is resting directly on the carpet, If her board is still in her I was unable to see the leading edge.

the board profile is cut to resemble the final shape of the board, I have plans to bolt a 150+- lb leading edge to the board made of a rectangular box section steel tube 1.5" x 3" filled with lead. so I have simply shaped her wood board to reflect that form.

here's a shot of the centerboard tackle, I will likely need to go to a double block and 4x purchase when I get the lead on the board.

Congratulations! She is very pretty.

I had 55lb of lead on the tip of the cb of the Welsford Pathfinder I built. On a 4:1 tackle that was an easy single hand lift 3/4 of the way. The last bit took a biy more effort, but still easy enough with one hand.
    That board had about 12" between the pivot and the groove the line ran in, so not much of a lever either. The nice thing with the 4:1 is that the friction through the blocks makes lowering the board easy, without getting away on you - I was a bit worried that if I ever let go of the rope, the damn thing would swing down and trash itself or the case. I never put it to the test, but think it would have have been fine.

Pete

BEAUTIFUL!
    But come on, we need sailing pics....

A-MAZE-ING result. Centennial looks HUGE out in the open.

It was interesting as a building project. Now suddenly, seeing the actual decked dory, it's an exciting sailing project. Hooray!

Please... tell us if there's any plans to "show" the boat locally... would love to see her and all the details in person.

Congrats on a great outcome,
    Tom

Congratulations! --Wade

Great! Felicitations!

Dave

Great looking little ship, very fast build--congratulations! When is the shake-down cruise?

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

thanks guys!

the sailing of this boat will be a lot of fun and educational... theres so much to say about the sailing aspects... I'll save that for when I have more time.

first big sail will be the Small Reach Regatta at Blue Hill Bay.

TOM151 I hope to sail the boat over to Gloucester for the Schooner Races labour day weekend.

I spent the first night aboard last night, rowed about a half mile down river and anchored in the moon light behind a small marsh grass island near where the Parker empties into broad sound. The sleeping was more comfortable than I had been fearing, actually with another night aboard I'm fairly certain I'd be sleeping like a rock. I made some bed boards which fit in a slot in the seat risers and the centerboard trunk, each set of boards spanning the half of the boat along the lenght of the trunk. I also had a mosquito net up which was not necessary in the evening but i awoke to the sound of mosquitoes buzzing at the net, they left as the tide floated the boat, rowed back to the landing with the incoming tide.

Last edited by Daniel Noyes; 07-06-2017 at 08:49 AM.

few more in the water shots, note how high she is floating, Johnson must have had at least 400 lbs of ballast aboard for this photo.

she moves wonderfully with oar in the sculling notch... but the 9' oars are about a foot and a half- 2ft too short.

How did you get to the oar length? I've found the formulas that are out there don't account for freeboard. So on Ran Tan with 5' of spread, I should be able to use 9 1/2's which is what racing boats use. Couldn't. Needs 10's. When you call the Manning's see what they use. And what would be really nice for sculling would be a big bladed sculling oar. I'll let you try mine, but at 10' it will be short. You will like the 4' blade.
    Ben Fuller

Dan,
    Couple of questions,

Are you actually participting in the Small Reach Regatta? If so I didn't see your name on the arrival list.

And did I miss the name?
    Ben Fuller

#67 on the fleet list that Tom sent out... I'm not sure what the arrival list is.

I got the hatches made today... and some lead in the centerboard... still got to make me some sails!

The arrival list is something that Tom is doing to help us predict when crunch time comes. I think it is compiled when people send back their money and there is a place on it to note arrival time. Just didn't see you on it.
    Ben Fuller

testing the set o' the main.