Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Building a drum sander

Default Building a drum sander

Ups, I am making a thread,,, again. But we Are here to share right?

This axle was on some farming equipment.

I cut out discs from flooring particle board

Laminating the discs on the axle

Routing jig to make the drum

Finished drum

Here is the drum and motor stacked on the table saw to take measurments for the frame.The motor is 3 phase 1,5 kw. Also from farming equipment. The sander will be made from scrap-metal I have laying around, just like I did with my bandsaw mill

Regards Fred

Sent fra min D6603 via Tapatalk
    Last edited by Fredostli; 07-21-2016 at 04:03 PM.

Default Re: Building a drum sander

The drum is 15 cm / 6" diameter. The rpm on the motor is 1350. The pulley on the motor is a little bit larger than the pulley on the drum, so I guess I will get 14-1500 rpm on the drum. Does anyone here have experience on drum sanders, or buildt one. There are som good You-tube videos on homebuildt drum-sander, and I have a good idea on how to make this, but feedback on this can only make it better!

I made one once , at a time when I was making document boxes to sell but dismantled it later when I needed the space .

The only thing that caused a problem if not a huge one was the conveyor belt , it was very hard to get it to track perfectly but also extremely useful to get a fair feed rate with no sanded depressions in the finished cut.

Is this for your veneers Fredrik? Have you tried a cheap Chinese style thicknesser ?
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Yes Greg, close enough. Peter I do have a very good old thiknesser, but to make very thin veners I believe a sander is better. Guitar builders use them a lot, and I am also building a guitar 😀 A sander like this can be used for many projects. Do you have pics of the one you had Peter?

No photos unfortunately, essentially a steel frame with 4 threaded rods supporting the drum and motors, the 4 threads being connected with a loop of chain. 2 motors, one for the drum and one for the feed. If you can find a conveyor rather than building your own I recommend it ! Possibly one from an exercise machine with one set of rollers powered ?
    Grateful Dead

I think I want to make rollers for feeding, not conveyor belt.

Here is a photo of the motor. I dont have a star delta connection svitch for it. Do you think its needed on a 1,5 kW motor?

Last edited by Fredostli; 07-22-2016 at 06:30 AM.

I meant something like the walking area of this machine but with a panel replacing the middle rollers and one end set of end rollers powered, preferably at variable speeds, say 3 to 6 m per minute ? It seems like an effective way to get a feed mechanism as long as the wood sticks to the moving surface and isn't thrown out by the sanding drum. Power feed is good, you can be stacking and getting other stock ready while the machine sands.

I often see walking machines like that at the tip but in quite good condition..

Grateful Dead

My design was much like this except with a steel frame.

http://www.shigshop.com/thickness-sander.html
    Grateful Dead

Yeah, my wife owns one. I Will take it over as soon as she gets to the door. 😀😀😀

Here is the feeder on our thiknesser, and I want to make a similar system exept the roller will be particle-wood on a Steel axle with rubber on the outside. This old thiknesser cut from the underside, but I make the sander sand on the upper side. I must find some pulleys to reduse rpm from motor to the feeder roller. Alternativ is to connect a power drill with speed controll to the drive the feeder...

An interesting idea ! (and I've never seen a thicknesser with the cutter head on the underside).

I'll be VERY interested in how it goes. The only problem I can see is the thrust from the abrasive covered drum may exceed the thrust of the feed rollers..... or actually their "grip" on the board.
    Last edited by PeterSibley; 07-22-2016 at 09:30 PM.
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Fredostli View Post
    Here is the feeder on our thiknesser, and I want to make a similar system exept the roller will be particle-wood on a Steel axle with rubber on the outside. This old thiknesser cut from the underside, but I make the sander sand on the upper side. I must find some pulleys to reduse rpm from motor to the feeder roller. Alternativ is to connect a power drill with speed controll to the drive the feeder...

That would be the death of the drill in short order, as I see it.

I don't know how y'all are fixed for used industrial junk, but a gear reduction drive shouldn't be too tough to come up with. 50:1 seems to be a fairly common ratio.

If you were not on the other side of the world, I would ship you one I have!

Rattling the teacups.

50:1 reduction and a 1/2 hp 240 volt motor was my feed power, a 1/4 hp would have been sufficient.
    Grateful Dead

I built one using the woodgears plans and instructions in post #3 above and it works great. No feed conveyor belt thing but I have no problem just pushing the stock through. I've used it to thickness tops, backs and sides for ukuleles, sand cabinet doors and sand thicker stock and it's done an excellent job. My only problem- and it's minor - is attaching the sandpaper to the drum. After fiddling with various methods, I've found that a small piece of gorilla tape holds the end of the sandpaper strip securely to the drum. Simple and effective.of course there are better ways but this one works for me.

The motor is a 3/4 HP 120v job from Harbor Freight. I can't see why you'd need anything more powerful than that.
    "The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated communist, but people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists.
    -Hannah Arendt, The Origins of Totalitarianism

The motor I have is one of several I have laying around. I think it is brushless and its running very smooth, so its perfekt as I see it.

Maybe a gear from a vipermitor could do the job on the feeder?

The feeder on my thiknesser is spring loaded and push the piece against the board making good contact, so I could do that on the drum-sander too.

Do you have any reduction boxes lying around ?
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Fredostli View Post
    The motor I have is one of several I have laying around. I think it is brushless and its running very smooth, so its perfekt as I see it.

Maybe a gear from a vipermitor could do the job on the feeder?

The feeder on my thiknesser is spring loaded and push the piece against the board making good contact, so I could do that on the drum-sander too.

If you are making that feed drum yourself perhaps covering it with very coarse abrasive would be a good idea ? It would improve the grip.
    Grateful Dead

No. I guess the wormgear on an old vipermotor is the closest I get.

I could be wrong but the ones I've used aren't quite strong enough..... I think.
    Grateful Dead

I vas thinking about using a rubber hose, but your idea might be better...

Away for the veekend now, but I Will take a dive in my sheds when I get back 😀

There's always something in the Shed !
    Grateful Dead

Grateful Dead

An interesting project. Would you not need a pair of feed rolls, one in front of the abrasive roll and one after?

I used to own a nice wide belt sander, That had the usual moving belt feed with rubber pressure rollers on top to keep the workpiece pushed down on the rubber. The pressure rollers weren't powered, they were just spring loaded and rolled freely. The moving belt had to be made of rubber of just the right softness, otherwise the thrust from the sanding belt would make the workpiece stall in the machine.

The great advantage of a moving rubber belt and rubber rollers in a sanding machine is that the sanded piece is handled gently by the machine. A roller sliding a piece over a steel or wooden table is likely to score or glaze a sanded piece. This may not be a problem with coarse sanding, but as you sand out to finer grits for finishing it could be.

The feed motor on my old machine was of the same arrangement as the one shown by Oznabrag, a one horsepower motor with a gear reduction and a right angle drive.

I'm watching with interest. Good luck!

Jim

So far, so rusty. Slow progress but it is good boating weather 😀 i got some Steel from a friend, as a thanks for fiksing the sheer on hes little double ender. For adjusting the table I think I will make it sliding on a base on the angeled steel you see. I want the table to be in a straight angel all the time, to make the feeding rollers work properly

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Ledger View Post
    An interesting project. Would you not need a pair of feed rolls, one in front of the abrasive roll and one after?

I used to own a nice wide belt sander, That had the usual moving belt feed with rubber pressure rollers on top to keep the workpiece pushed down on the rubber. The pressure rollers weren't powered, they were just spring loaded and rolled freely. The moving belt had to be made of rubber of just the right softness, otherwise the thrust from the sanding belt would make the workpiece stall in the machine.

The great advantage of a moving rubber belt and rubber rollers in a sanding machine is that the sanded piece is handled gently by the machine. A roller sliding a piece over a steel or wooden table is likely to score or glaze a sanded piece. This may not be a problem with coarse sanding, but as you sand out to finer grits for finishing it could be.

The feed motor on my old machine was of the same arrangement as the one shown by Oznabrag, a one horsepower motor with a gear reduction and a right angle drive.

I'm watching with interest. Good luck!

Jim
    Spring loaded top and bottom 40 grit covered feed rollers turning together might be the way to go next time and just a smooth flat table under the sanding head.

Fredrick, the sanding side of things was simple on my machine, the feed belt was what caused problems .......... just to repeat myself.
    Grateful Dead

Yeah. Two spring loaded rollers and a smooth table is my plan. I Will use an old Office table with a respatex like surface.

Btw. Call me Fred. Fredrik is our sweedish friend Trango 😀

Fred it is !
    Grateful Dead

Close to finish the system to raise and lower the table. Only need a treaded Rod to move the table on the angeled steel. Hope you see from the photos how it works.

Watching Fred.

Have you sealed the sander drum? What did you use?
    Grateful Dead

Yes, sealed with my favourite,, epoxy😀 need another layer, as particle-board suck up a lot

I just used wet on wet polyurethane , because I had a spare can. That worked well too.
    Grateful Dead

Fred, this site has some home made machinery and there's one sander that may give you ideas. Check the video's. Fast fwd the jokes though.

http://www.stumpynubs.com/homemade-tools.html
    Last edited by andrewpatrol; 08-04-2016 at 11:37 PM.