Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123 ... LastLast

Thread: HOW CHEAP CAN A MICRO CRUISER BE BUILT? Let's find out...

Default Re: HOW CHEAP CAN A MICRO CRUISER BE BUILT? Let's find out...

[IMG][/IMG]
    this is 'sea gypsie' ...the 20ft multi chine turned 24 ft under sail.. She wasn't brilliant tight into the wind, but she was primarily our family home for my wife and I, so accomodation, warmth and comfort came first, although she still ticked along quite nicely.
    ( because of my numbers dislexia) it was not built to any plan, just a mixture of boat pictures stuck on the wall, although with a significant Bolger influence. I needed the absolute maximum internal uncluttered space for family living.nit served us quite well for a number of years. Cheers dave

[IMG][/IMG]
    this one is a very naughty picture as its half steel. I built this 2 story vessel and lived on it for a number of years. It now has 2 four stroke outboards 100 hP each. Because of the massive windage I fitted a bow rudder too for slow speed manoeuvring. It was used in a windy coastal area. It spent half the time on a mooring in the very southern part of Tasmania and the other half in a marina.mcheers DAVE.

Dave,
    The sad thing is, you just live too far away.

I could have a great time with a guy like you, I think.

Peace, and much joy in your new boat
    Robert

ps I liked your little Gypsie until I saw her under sail, then I started to love her. Charming little boat.

Now I'm really looking forward to seeing what you come up with. I'd love to see some interior pics of Sea Gypsie and the stained glass windows if you have any.

Thanks for sharing.

Sea Dreams A.K.A. Brian

Thanks rob, sea gypsie was not everyone's cup of tea, but there are big compromises required when it's so small and a home for you and your wife. I liked it and enjoyed making it. because it was frameless and completely open internally, people came aboard and thought it was like a kids story book that opened up into a castle when the pages parted. It was mostly classic white inside with just the right amount of varnished timber, (just cheap pine). Too many boats (for me atleast) are nick-knacked and cluttered. Often too much dark timber which closes them in. I like the light and airy feel, But it's amazing what a router can do, plus putting curves into almost every thing in it. Well that works for me anyway, but I'm probably outside the norm and realise my stuff is few peoples cup of tea. Some commented it felt like a gypsie caravan with the stained glass and a beautiful cast wood fire.
    Isn't that the best thing about boats though? You can make what you want, and if it doesn't work so good, you still had some fun, and if it does... Well! That's just an extra hoot! Cheers mate and please keep enjoying your own exciting boat stuff. Cheers DAVE

Hi cobber, the goal for me is to make this one different from anything I've made before. I want to see how simply a boat can be built and how cheap... Money is shy these days with both my wife and I having auto immune ailments. But of course the thought of salt and the smell of shavings never leaves you, even when you are land locked. But you already know that too I recon. So my goals these days have become more modest, so I still want something that is a hoot to play with and with still a degree of looks. The timber is mostly pine and Oregon nearly all I picked up on the side of the road where people have demolished car ports and pegolars etc. The dark piece of timber is a piece of hardwood verandah decking.. Merbau. I was reluctant to use it as I'm trying to keep it as light as possible, but it was all I had to complete the last frame. (You were very observant) full marks!
    The hull does have a compound curve to maximise strength on such a flat hull, it is as you correcting pointed out in the form of length ways rocker, but also accross the hull I got a bit in as well. More at the transom, about 30mm and about 20mm thru the hull, which doesn't sound much, but stiffened it up remarkably. It makes it quite tight. But as I said I'm not trying to reinvent the wheel, like so many of you guys I just need to play with boats.

The COSTINGS so far are $118 for 6 litres of epoxy off eBay, 12mm ply $97, 7mm ply 4 sheets $127, meranti 75mm X 19mm and 8 pieces of 30 x10 @2.4 length pine for laminating gunnels $110. The rest are plastic coated gal screws, Purbond, measuring cups and brushes etc. so far I have most of the stuff to Finnish the hull. It has cost me $455. Im hoping to complete the hull for less than a grand.

The rest I have been collecting over the last 18 months. I still need timber and fibre glass sheathing. Actually, I'm only doing this thing to encourage anyone else in a similar situation as my self that if you have the desire, playing with boats is not necessarily out of range of any one. With the most basic tools as I have and just a few coins, but a big desire is all you need. I personally have lived my life very quietly and managed to fly under the radar. Not everyone has had the experience that most of you fellow forum guys have had. But there are bound to be some out there that with a little encouragement can knock up something too, that's the reason I doing this... Cheers to you all and please have a grand day. Dave

Plastic coated galv screws? Never heard of those, whats the story? I should have paid more attention to your photo, you can see a slight angle at the base of the transom, agree it does not take much to put tension in a panel.
    I think it takes a slightly different mind set to want to build a boat, but these days with cnc cut kits and epoxy, it is within the grasps of most people who can follow instructions, thats a big selling point for kits, as much of the required skills of traditional boatbuilding are just not needed. Kits are also seen to be the fastest way of getting a boat built, which again, is a selling point in a world where time is something seen as something most people do not have; but its not to say this is the cheapest way to get a boat. How is it in this modern world, with all the "time saving" gadgets most people own, people still lack time?
    My wee nephew is good at jigsaw puzzles, he would have no problem with a cnc kit boat, but i would rather go down the road of line drawings, and a pile of wood; he will learn a lot more. I think sometimes the thought of failure put many off going down a scratch build road, but hopefully, threads like this one and others can show people that a boat does not have to come packed in a box with several gallons of liquid .Nice to have alternatives.

[IMG][/IMG]
    i found an old picture of 'sea gypsie' when it was only 20 ft long. The whole main cabin top slid forward on rollers, but I changed it as it was too cold in winter this way as a live-aboard. I would come on deck in the morning and it would be white with ice. If you look at her as a green boat you can pick up the extra length and old cabin line before a dog house was put on. Some ideas we try and later need to modify, I'm the same as everyone else I guess... This was a case of doing that.
    The steel catamaran house boat I lengthen too by 8feet from when I originally built it. Always tinkering... But? Don't we all?

[IMG][/
    this is the only picture I have of inside, you can see the flue for the ornate fire box. The seagull above my head had a solar garden light immediately behind it, with the solar part on the deck and the light on the inside. When it became night the seagull which was set in the White ply background lit up with the light being a few mil behind it. It was a comforting and welcome friend. The 2 main doors were also inlaid with red stain glass which looked a treat when the morning sun flashed the colours Around the vessel in the early mornings. I should have taken more pics, but I thought I would have it forever...

Nice, simple and uncluttered. What you say about curves and round overs makes a big difference, not only in looks but livability and also easier to finish and re-finish. Love the seagull box lamp, thats a cool idea i can see myself using one day, i will be sure to give you credit for it.

[IMG][/IMG]
    i put the gunnels on today. It was a tight curve, and rather than steam anything which may put someone off from having a go at boat building, I just got some 30mm X 10mm door stop material and laminated them together. Of course the joints were staggered.the screws were brass, as I only wanted them about 18 mm long and a narrow gauge so as not to weaken the timber. I usually use 'CLIMACOTE' screws, which are a very dark grey screw. I removed some screws that were in a marine situation of constantly wet ply to examine recently. They had been in there for about 15 yrs. the ordinary zink decking screw show noticeable corrosion, being that the zink coating acts as a protection like an anode on a boats hull and immediately stars to break down with salt and water. The CLIMACOTE which were put in at the same time were still in mint condition when removed. I have always used them and have never seen any deterioration at all. I like them as brass and stainless can break or strip the head more easily than steel. The CLIMACOTE screws are zinked but almost like a plastic coating on them that does not break down.
    Tomorrow if I can, I will put up a couple of pics that I'm basing my new vessel on. They are completely different vessels, but I hope mine Enders up with a bit of each of them. Anyway cheers guys and keep boating, if only in thought. Good night all. DAVE

Yes. Fantastic stuff. I just really dig your style.

Continue to squeeze every drop from life, Friend.

Peace,
    Robert

'There is nothing new under the sun'... I just see stuff and incorporate for my own needs. Isn't that what makes a boat so personal? We can fingerprint our own personality in it. As long as you are playing with boats you are generally having fun. Cheers dave

Dave,
    Keep missing your name, sorry. Oh, I meant all of it. Your building, your attitude, your style. I feel like we are kindred spirits.

I mostly art for money, and I'm an inveterate scrounger and tinkerer. I have had larger sailboats, and am actually building right now, but I mostly just build dumb little boats by eye. Pirogues, canoes, kayaks, punts. Boards if I can, ply if I must, but I really like skin on frame.

Anyway, I really enjoy your posts. They speak to me. You aren't inspiring me, but rather encouraging me to keep on with my own thing. Just love it! Wait, you ARE inspiring me!

Peace,
    Robert

Dave,

For not going by any plans, you made some nice looking boats. You have given me many ideas for whatever boat I build next. The curves and round overs would have made my latest build a lot nicer but it was just my "practice" build anyway. The next one will have most of the sharp corners (inside and out) rounded mostly to hide the fact that it is basically a box. Unless I make something completely different which is a very real possibility.

I do intend to use some solar garden lights in my boat which make a surprising amount of light when that is all you have but I never thought of using them like your seagull light. Hopefully I don't forget that idea before I get around to using it.

I've got other things keeping me busy right now but you are inspiring me to someday build a much nicer micro cruiser. I seem to never have much money but I am a very good scrounger.

Sea Dreams A.K.A. Brian

Thanks rob, I too am an artist, 'the starving seagull' we sound like a kindred spirit. It seems each of us has a preferred way of building. That's the advantage of a forum because it opens up new ideas to us. I'm one that can easily get locked into a method, because I'm familiar with it, I know what can go wrong, and where the limits of the build method are. That doesn't mean that it's the best method, it's just what I know. But I can learn so much from others posts. Often it's nothing world shattering, just a product. Some one when I started tinkering with boats, showed me how to soak epoxy with 50% metho and to thicken it with baby powder. (I have allergy issues). It's not necessarily the best but it's cheap, works a treat always, so that's my thing. I am however always keen to learn better methods of doing things. We are all the same I think that way. I usually only build steel and ply boats. I haven't really tried much else although have replaced stems and planks for friends in planked ones. You keep at playing with boats and show me your project anytime please. I am still learning how to 'plug into the forum' stuff. Take care please and keep smiling. Cheers DAVE

Good for you Brian. I recon a box is a great thing, if it gets you on the water. What ever it takes! I'm a firm believer in build what ever your skills and dollars will allow. It's better to get your feet wet with vessel of modesty than to not have anything at all. This one I'm working on will be boxy, but with buckets of curves and trim should look okay, especially with a gaff rig and decent bow sprit. I've learned not to worry about what anyone says. It's my dream, my materials and my time. It's what keeps me sane. (Although the jury's still out on that one) I love to see people make a boat, Bolger box or clipper! It's great. It's self healing to play and think boats. So keep at it yourself and thanks for the encouragement ... DAVE (the starving seagull)

Dave,
    I still need to get the picture thing going, but I'm not totally sure how it works, yet. I'm still trying to figure out all the photo hosting ya ya. I have read all the tutorials. Thanks, Thorne!
    Last time I was on this forum, I had a buddy I was teaching to make canoes after he destroyed mine. He did all the picture business.
    I got kids and all to help me now, but just ain't trying to do it all on this little fool phone.
    I will endeavor to get that all set up, get some pics up to share.

Peace,
    Robert

Just a thort, a kit has been suggested as a way to go, if one doubts their skills. I have never used one, but if that's what it takes to give someone the confidence to build a boat, however modest... Then that sounds like a fantastic way to get into the joy of playing with boats. I would buy a plan (if I could read one with out feeling lost and inadequate) because the boat will always be easier to sell than a 'designed it myself self turnout'. it would make building a boat quite easy for most normal people. I haven't got a workshop, no bandsaw, no thicknesser. Just a router, 2 cordless drills, a circular saw, orbital and belt sander and an electric hand planer. I've managed to build everything with those and a few hand tools, Hamer etc.
    I like to build from scratch as you can start living the dream the minute the concept gels in your mind. You may tell the wife your grand plan to build or buy a small boat, only to find that while your mouth is being washed out with soap! The idea has been presented to you rather forcefully that a new 'thermomix' or kitchen makes more sense... Allas..
    But! You can start your project under the radar! By collecting timber from the side of the road. An old carport beam becomes your new keel, a few packets of screws at a time, friends who you help do a job for, give you a sheet of ply, etc. and that's great cos you arnt ready to start yet anyway, but in fact! You have... That's when the healing start... "Hi ho! Hi ho! It's boat building we shall go! Sssshhhh. Not so loud.
    Anyway I think there may be more than one person with the dream that fits this bill or something similar. So again, I say, work out what you want, remain ever modest in you expectations, buy a boat? Get a kit? Or start from scratch and see how cheap you can buil a micro cruiser? What ever blows your dress up..do it! Cheers guys and keep dreaming. DAVE (the starving seagull)

Rob...That would be great so see. I don't care how modest anyone's project is, if it's boats! It's great and I know am, so others will be too, encouraged by anyone's efforts in that direction. Look forward. Cheers DAVE

We are kindred spirits, Dave. You got me by a router, two sanders, and a drill. I got two circle saws, though, and a corded jig saw what's all about 30 years old. One drill, also corded, but usually brace for me. Oh, shoot, my number one power tool: vacuum.
    I worked in a shop with all of it once, and sometimes miss all the neat tools, but I ain't a pro, and I ain't in a hurry. Also, I learned with hand tools as a boy, and it takes me back. Plus, if you ain't all noisy, you can work before sunup. I also enjoy sharpening, which you kind of need with hand tools. Also, I really only build goofy little paddling boats, like canoes and kayaks. No big old schooners have come down my ways of late, or ever.

I sorta eschew electrical stuff in general. Mostly as a way to simplify my life and save money, but also because it's my preference. Different ships, eh?

The one good electronic thing I got is this phone, though, because I can see all the amazing stuff in the world I may not otherwise, and "meet" people from around the world I wouldn't otherwise. There are some amazing builders on this forum, and it is fun to look at.

Ive been making a hand plane, dodging the sun all day, but now I'm going to try to go back in it.
    Peace,
    Robert
    PS My kids promised to help me get a thingy so I can put pics on it and link them. Now I just gotta dig into the closet and find that digital camera, figure out how to make it talk to the computer. Dang, I'm modern, now!

[IMG][/IMG]
    hi guys, this boat has always interested me, I'm using aspects of this, mixed with thoughts from 'Tom Cat' 12 ft, and Stevenson's 14 ft micro cruiser. But I have all three pictures and there will be bits of each.

[IMG][/IMG]
    this is the very simple lines of 'Discovery'... From an old 1950s book. I think this is a fore runner to the Phil Bolger philosophies. I love the absolute minimalism of it. It's within the building reach of even the most inexperienced 'wish I could build a boat' guys, especially with today's modern adhesives and the ever so easy 'stitch and glue principles'. I don't like the keel at all, that obviously has to be updated. Maybe water ballast and steel centre board? Either way I'm influenced to using some of this in my little baby. Mine obviously will not in the same league , being shorter and beamy. I will have a lower aspect rig, long bowsprit and long boom going well aft of the transom. But sailing performance is not really the all important for me, although I do want sailing ability especially accross the beam and down wind, and some motoring with ease and a bit of fishing etc. the trade off I'm after is buckets of Freeboard and accomodation. Cheers DAVE. (The starving seagull)

I have never seen that photo of "discovery" before, i was assuming it may have been yet another of the 100s of designs drawn and never built. With regards to the keel, like many Sam Rabl boats, concrete and steel/iron ballast castings, it was drawn that way as to be economical as im sure you will know getting a lead or iron keel cast is an expense. And although a lead pour is not an impossible home job (many here have done it), concrete and steel is a far less stressy way building ballast, even if we can agree it is not optimum, priorities will be different for everyone.
    Although a bit bigger than Discovery, Jack Hannas "Dorthy" came across as another old time design that could be a functional boat today, even if drawn circa 1933.
    http://thelibraryofslavery.com/dng/i...search=dorothy
    Many others obviously for those that can work with very basic plans, but i would not suggest it for first timers who have not read up on traditional methods.

With such a tall rig, it needs keel and ballast, although I would probably want to make it trailer-able. I would think about a steel centreboard, and water ballast. If the boat weighed less, sail area and mast height could be reduced to have the same power to weight ratio. If I built it I would not be using it for a speed machine, just a bit of tradition and fun which is what it would be. If it floated a little higher being lighter, I would give it a bit less rocker too perhaps. I thought a sheet ply stitch and glue light weight hull would have been a real first timers boat, But no doubt on this one you are right. Cheers DAVE

Hi guys, and I hope any lasses too,
    how are we today? I hope a few are rethinking the possibility of building a boat over time? I hope I do not offend anyone but I feel almost anyone can do it provided you have the dream. You may not have any previous experience at all, but that's no reason to do nothing, it's all part of the adventure, I recon. Step1... Work out what you want. If you want a small sailing dinghy or micro cruiser, don't build a kayak just because it's easier, a practice run if you like. I don't believe in that philosophy. Build what you want now, as then you will be more motivated to press on if you run into temporary difficulties. I would start with ply on basic frames or stitch and glue for a beginner. Pick a plan that is easy to follow, I'm guessing there are some real experts on this forum that could recommend one and would even give willing suggestions as you go, so pick their brains, just don't be told 'you can't do it... Too hard'

i think Peter Pan was right when he said "the minute you believe you can't fly, you will never fly again".

Step 2... Start collecting anything that may be useful. And get a lean to, or carport, some where semi protected even if you hang tarps down the sides. Some where protected to build it under. Don't try and do it in the open. Here we get winter soaking rain and a week or two in summer of up to 43 Celsius.
    step 3... Very import for me atleast is to don't see the whole boat as one job. The 'peace of mind' approach is to break the job down into lots and lots of little tasks. I learned this many years ago when I decided to build the steel 2 story catamaran house boat. When the truck turned up and dumped tons of steel at my feet, I nearly wee'd my self as I thought, "what have I done!". But a wise old seafaring lady said to me, it's just one job at a time, and when you have finished that little job, it doesn't have to be done again, then start the next job. She was right of course.
    So when you start your build you will probably just build a keel 1st, a simple single task... Easy peasy, and that's how I do it, I don't start marking out the keel while worrying what colour to paint the cabin sole. Think simple and enjoy each step.
    Just one other thing to consider before ever starting a boat, the most important thing above skill level stuff etc... It's personality related. You need to be the type that you finish what you start, and not switch interest and go off half way thru and decide to restore a car or something. That doesn't mean you can't be like me and have 6 projects all happening at the same time, but you need to be able to Finnish what you start or you will be disappointed at some stage and poorer too. Anyway! I will get down off my soap box now and catch you later. I know many of you guys will disagree with probably most of what I have said, and you will no doubt be correct. I just think in this modern age if you can use the interweb and Google stuff, you can make ANYTHING. Make the time to research each thing on Utube or whatever and there is nothing you can't do. Cheers guys and keep sane and keep dreaming.. And if it's all to hard, sit in a comfortable chair and read a book about it with a nice glass of red or coffee. DAVE (the starving seagull)

Hi gull, Just starting on a build of a trailerable Blue water craft... Centennial a dory that sailed across the Atlantic ocean in 1876... a pretty simple low cost craft, offsets in John Gardner's "Wooden Boats to Build and Use"

building thread... http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...778-Centennial

Wowsers! What a treat! Great project... Look forward to seeing her come along. Love it! Cheers seagull.

[IMG][/IMG]

Sheer clamp looks to have sprung in nicely. Are you familiar with Yanns work?

Some boats for thought...... http://www.boat-et-koad.com/
    Last edited by skaraborgcraft; 07-27-2016 at 08:32 AM.

[IMG][/IMG]
    i put the fore deck on today, but I have to do some art over the next few days for an exhibition coming up in a few months, bummer! I'd much rather play with boats. As a general thing I put a radius curve with a cheap hand held wiz bang router on every exposed edge. It softens the general appearance, is easier to paint or varnish and removes the sharp harsh 90 * corner which can be easily damaged or dented. Cheers guys and keep building or atleast enjoy the dream. DAVE.

[IMG][/IMG]
    this is the last boat I built, I hesitated to mention it here because it's steel. It also had a horrid 100 plus HP stink motor on the transom. I do apologise with head bowed and cap in hand because it was for a friend and not something that I would ever build for myself. I was glad to see the end of it. Cheers DAVE.

Wow! No I am not familiar with yanns work. Looks good. I like the outside the box approach. Thanks for the link... I appreciate it. I will have a closer squiz when I get a moment. Cheers dave

Going back to that Discovery. It is not unlike some of the Jay Benford dory cruisers, tho I think that the smallest is 26ft. Putting a center plate into that earlier design knocks the interior space a bit, along with the structural complications and possible leaks of that era with an amateur build. Epoxy would help now.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew2 View Post
    Going back to that Discovery. It is not unlike some of the Jay Benford dory cruisers, tho I think that the smallest is 26ft. Putting a center plate into that earlier design knocks the interior space a bit, along with the structural complications and possible leaks of that era with an amateur build. Epoxy would help now.
    I would be more inclined to go with a single offset board,and a shallow lead casting. At a minimum, maybe a 6x3in plank bored with holes or pockets to accept scrap lead, and a lower centre of effort rig, probably a gunter sloop or balanced lug.
    One of the advantages of a fully framed boat is you do not need an interior to hold it all together, so you can be as sparten as you like.....sometimes a good thing in a small boat.