Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 56

Thread: HOW CHEAP CAN A MICRO CRUISER BE BUILT? Let's find out...

Default Re: HOW CHEAP CAN A MICRO CRUISER BE BUILT? Let's find out...

Thanks for the name suggestion... My beloved Riica 'strongly suggested' RIVER GYPSIE, so it's in my best interests to be compliment. My last boat I lived on was 'Sea Gypsie', this one being smaller suits her command... Er I mean recommendation. My daughter is half Gypsie in reality, being of Hungarian extraction. I'm pleased to pick up a couple of sails next week. My sail maker cobber knocked up a lug yawl cat boat rig out of a hand gliding wing apparently, and... Free! Thanks again guys and will catch up and post some pics in a couple of weeks. Cheers and please enjoy and keep happy. Dave

[IMG][/IMG]

my new sails... Cat rigged yawl. About 150 sq feet on a 13 foot.

[IMG][/IMG]
    a bit of tidying up... Still just over $600 from scratch including sails... Helped a friend build a couple of boats over a long period of time... He as a sail maker offered to make them for free. He doesn't know about this forum. Cheers Dave

[IMG][/IMG]

started turning it over to glass the bottom....

[IMG][/IMG]

ready for glass and chine runners...

[IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by Starving seagull; 11-30-2016 at 04:04 AM. Reason: Chine runner...

Brilliant! I must see this beauty with my own eyes. I love what you're doing.

sent from my nerdy phone app
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

You are welcome anytime Bruce... I've had an enforced break from it... like you, other commitments keep crashing over my time like waves on a reef. Have to do 6 art pieces for an exhibition next year. But I'm chipping away a bit at a time. How's scamp? Any pictures to show? Cheers Dave.

She's coming along well Dave. Any thoughts of a launch date? River Gypsie hey? I can see her pottering around somewhere like Morgan very happily.

How's it going Phil? No I don't have a completion date... With my Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and my wife's MS and our sons autism, not much happens very fast in our world. We seem to be flat out getting no where fast. Hence the boat is good therapy. Probably another 3 or 4 months.... Maybe longer, but I'm enjoying just playing around with boats.

That's why I joined this forum, just to show that with very very few coins, despite difficult circumstances, if you are still excited about breathing in and out each day, you can build something ( all be it like mine, a very humble craft). Im not too worried about a finishing date, it's just nice to walk around the corner, turn on a bit of easy listening digital radio music and see the boat sitting there, grateful for any attention I can spare it.
    Cheers cobber and keep doing what makes you happy too, please ...
    "Hi ho, hi ho... A boating we will go......"

It's been awhile... But it's almost ready. Well! I spent muchmore than I initially planned. It was going to be very Spartan peasant girl concept... But true love took over and like any fine woman, She responded well to me throwing a little cash her way. It was going to be VERY basic, all off white and varnish, for economy,mbut I ended up buying a shelf full of litre paint tins to tart her up A treat. All the extras have blown the budget out of the water, but have all been significantly value adding. I must admit... I got a little carried away and ordered some lead light, stain glass seagulls which I inserted in each side of the bulkhead. They gave proved to be some right fancy bling indeed. The spars and rudder are still required, plus trim and finishing off, then it need to let it sit for a month for the paint to harden. Winter slows that sort of thing up considerably. So cheers all.

I was wondering how your boat was going recently, good to hear it's going well.

"invalid link"

Glad to hear it, look forward to seeing the stain glass windows, and all the rest!

I can hardly wait. It all sounds perfect.

Sent from my ZTE T610 using Tapatalk
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]

Thanks guys, it's turned out OK, not finished yet, but getting there. Looking forward to seeing your scamp in the flesh Bruce. Since you are just down the road. As I said initially when I started this forum, you don't have to be clever or loaded (of which I am neither) to build something to get you afloat, I hope this has shown that. Thanks for your support and the many private messages. Keep building and have fun guys. Cheers Davo

Awesome boat!

The seagulls are very nice, and that duck is the icing on the cake. Nice blend of colours. Jobs a good-un i reckon!

Quote Originally Posted by skaraborgcraft View Post
    The seagulls are very nice, and that duck is the icing on the cake. Nice blend of colours. Jobs a good-un i reckon!
    thanks, the duck is only half finished of course, needs legs and Googly eyes and painted beak etc... But it's getting there. I carved it out of a bit of Oregon. A discarded pergola post. Lol.

Thanks tim, it has been a real budget build, but with enough quirk and bling to make people smile. It's 13 ft by 6 ft 2 ins beam, high freeboard and very roomy. Still have to build a main mast and mizzen. It's a big compromise, a bit of rag, actually a lot of sail area but designed as an overnighter for 2, and room aft for lounging with some red and cheese. With compromises come compromise, so we will see if I made the right decisions ( for my purposes) cheers

Thanks for your support and input. Appreciated

Thanks Pelagos... Still chipping away. Cheers mate and thanks davo

Quote Originally Posted by Starving seagull View Post
    Thanks Pelagos... Still chipping away. Cheers mate and thanks davo

THE BIG QUESTION... HOW MUCH CAN A MICRO CRUISER BE BUILT FOR? well I can only go on what this one finally cost, since I have pretty well everything for it now. The answer? ... Tomorrow. Cheers

I love it. Love it.

Peace,
    Robert

Default Re: HOW CHEAP CAN A MICRO CRUISER BE BUILT? Let's find out... Aaa

Quote Originally Posted by Starving seagull View Post
    This is my 1st post on this forum. I was inspired by some comments about how cheap can you build a micro cruiser... So I decided to find out. I had been collecting stuff (as we do) for about a year or so and commenced building on July 1st.
    It is about 13 ft with 6ft 3ins beam. Cat rig or gaff main and jib. I don't have any plans as I'm numbers dislexic, but I see it in my head. I'm an artist hence I am numbers illiterate but visually driven. The keel is laid, transom, stem, bottom sheets of ply, knees etc. I have most of the ply and so far it's cost me $410 AU.
    Much of the timber was from old Oregon pegolars etc that were pulled down and left as hard waste on the side of the road. I'm hoping to complete the hull for less than a $1,000 (but you know boats... Cost twice as much and take three times as long)
    There are some framing with bulkheads and longitudinals to eliminate twist, but much will also be epoxy complimented with single pack polyurathane glue. Love epoxy, I thin it with 50% metho as a primer, slightly thickened as an adhesive and mixed with baby powder (until gloss just off it) for fillets. My last 2 masted yawl I lived on until a few years ago was a multi chine frameless ply, epoxy with either metho or talc.
    So looking forward to seeing how cheap I can make it. I would like to make it clear cheap does not go with junky, I want a really decent vessel, not a floating dogs bottom. I look forward to enjoying reading people's thoughts. So thanks guys and cheers and happy boating DAVE
    As cheap or dear and one chooses... Basic minimum spend $1000 (builders ply, no glass, just 4 litres of white paint and some varnish). to... The sky's the limit. This one cost $2000. Glassed, tarted up, new homemade gal trailer with torsion bar suspension, new sails and a new 4 stroke 4HP Chinese outboard. This has only been possible because of some generous friends particularly my best friend a sail maker and HEAPS of eBay and physical seagulling... (Normal for boaties) Cheers