Page 97 of 97 FirstFirst ... 47879697
Results 3,361 to 3,372 of 3372

Thread: Restoration of the BC Salmon Troller "Petrel"

Default Re: Restoration of the BC Salmon Troller "Petrel"

LOve the photos Chris! (but I can't hear a thing!) Guess I kind of love the sound of Diesels in the morning LOL
    Denise, Bristol PA, Oday30, Anchor Yacht Club, On tidal Delaware River. my current project; http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...0-Ducker-Resto

Quote Originally Posted by cstevens View Post

Navydog, you are not wrong and you called it exactly. "Go boating now" is in my signature for exactly the reason you point out - that it's easy to get caught up in all the distractions of daily life - including working on boats - and forget to do the thing you actually enjoy. "Someday I'll go boating when the house is painted and the lawn is mowed and the aft deck on Petrel is built" just doesn't seem like the path to happiness does it?
    No it doesn't. I'm not trying to be a pia about it either. I just know that as Dash gets older you will have less time not more. When he is older and gains independence there is no way to recapture lost time that could have been shared as a family. Then there are all the activities to attend. So to me measuring the rewards of working on a boat vs time on the water with friends is no contest. And I'll leave it at the that.

Awesome, thanks Chris to share these nice pictures with us! Makes me happy that you had a great trip on SM! One of many to come
    fair winds, Dody

"They did not know it was impossible so they did it" - Mark Twain

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...h-Tonga/page12

"Lots of time to think though."

Don't forget to watch for logs. That's mighty fine Chris! Look forward to crossing tracks sometime soon. / Jim

One benefit of keeping Petrel is propinquity. Petrel is in your neighborhood, Skookum Maru is not. When you only have a few hours for a wooden boat moment, Petrel is there for you. As for the notion that time is running out as we age, this is statistically verified, but we are all mortal and can expire at any moment. Our mortality makes life a gift and makes everything urgent and not at all, IMHO. I have more projects than I can finish in this lifetime but I am never bored and always have something to look forward to. Every time I board Petrel's cousin, Dixie Rose, I get a certain sense of contentment, even when contemplating all the work I have left to do.

I got the chance to meet up with Chris and Skookum Maru yesterday. SM is a seriously cool boat. She has a great party trick that only a real wooden boat enthusiast could appreciate, a work bench with full standing headroom! But overall, a great cruising boat. Lots of great details. And Chris is alright too.

Skookum Maru will well serve the goal of being a cruising boat. Her distance from home means that once you have set off on your trip, there is little that will cause you to cut it short. Whereas a quick few hours on Petrel can be ended when a phone call beckons you back to make a paycheck.

Its ambitious, but I think Chris has got a great thing going.
    There's the plan, then there's what actually happens, and Sh!t happens more than Should happens.

Ben Sebens, RN

It was great to meet you yesterday Ben. Glad you like Skookum Maru! And a few more thoughts on Petrel. Taking on two boats, even when one requires only routine maintenance, is definitely ambitious and comes with the risk that my time will be consumed with obligations. But I see that as a situation to be managed rather than the inevitable ruin of all future happiness. Although here I'll admit that I habitually overestimate my ability to get things done by something like a factor of ten, so that's something to keep in mind when evaluating my chances of success. But that's just a side effect of my optimistic nature. I always think things will work out and they usually do. Or maybe I just convince myself that they do... In the end it's the same thing though, no? Also as Psuggmog and Ben note, the distance to Blaine and Skookum Maru is a consideration. We plan to take a couple of longer cruises each year with a few weekends here and there but we won't be able to go out for an evening aboard when the whim strikes. But when Petrel is operational again we could go out for a day cruise or a weekend overnight any time. That's a life I would like to have and it's worth spending some effort to realize it.

But all that is just practicalities. I think Psuggmog captures my thoughts best:

Our mortality makes life a gift and makes everything urgent and not at all
    That's just what I have been thinking about over the last few weeks. If everything is urgent, and we start focusing on how much time we do or do not have, then what are we really experiencing? Are we actually enjoying the time that we have or just worrying that we won't have enough of it do do all the things we want to? I won't bore anyone with all the details but I had a bit of a health scare back in August, with the big "C" word being used seriously by my doctor. It didn't come to anything in the end but it sure got me thinking about things. And then the whole process of buying Skookum Maru and the intense effort to get the refastening done while also trying to meet all of my obligations to family and work was not easy either. Roll all of that together and I'm just now coming out the other end with a new appreciation for the art of enjoying what I am doing right now, regardless of what that is. Sure, I'd like to spend as much time on the water as I can. But I'm not going to divide my life into time spent doing things that I enjoy and time spent doing things that I don't. All of life is a gift and there is enjoyment to be found wherever we look for it.

Of course it's a lot easier to be philosophical like this when I've just spent a couple of days aboard a boat. Ask me how I feel about things in a few days when the dishes need to be done and the chestnut trees out front have dropped about ten tons of leaves all over the yard and the laundry has piled up because we haven't had time to deal with it and Dash is cranky and the dog needs a walk. I might have a different answer then.

Photos and vids are a close I'll ever get to SM Chris But I'm sure wishing I were in your neighborhood!
    Pocket trawlers, Not wood, but this was my idea of living the "dream" http://motorcityboatwerks.weebly.com/albin-27fc.html
    Last edited by DeniseO30; 09-20-2018 at 04:23 PM.
    Denise, Bristol PA, Oday30, Anchor Yacht Club, On tidal Delaware River. my current project; http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...0-Ducker-Resto

Chris, perfect, you got it. I agree to the deepest part of my heart, body & soul.

Sent from my SM-G900FD using Tapatalk
    fair winds, Dody

Quote Originally Posted by DeniseO30 View Post
    Photos and vids are a close I'll ever get to SM Chris But I'm sure wishing I were in your neighborhood!
    Pocket trawlers, Not wood, but this was my idea of living the "dream" http://motorcityboatwerks.weebly.com/albin-27fc.html
    I like those little aft cabin Albins a lot too Denise. A nice little boat. There was a woman in the PNW who lived and cruised aboard one for several years. She kept up a great blog about her adventures aboard: http://shatooshandpashmina.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Dody View Post
    Chris, perfect, you got it. I agree to the deepest part of my heart, body & soul.

Sent from my SM-G900FD using Tapatalk
    Seems to me like you've spent your life doing what I'm just now figuring out Dody. I'm learning though...

Quote Originally Posted by cstevens View Post
    Seems to me like you've spent your life doing what I'm just now figuring out Dody. I'm learning though...
    Chris, it wasn't always like this, life had some very tough knocks in stock for me. Looking back I must say this was good what happened, because it made me reflect and change and start a new life with 0. Which is hard work too. For the last 16 years I'm living in freedom, but I still need to be super vigilant to keep stress, negativity and all kind of bad stuff out of my life and concentrate on what makes life worth living: enjoy it!!!

With enjoying I mean to like what one is doing, to have fun with it and be happy about it. I like sailing and travelling, but I also really like working on my boat with my own hands and see something happening - and the challenges. Many Sailors coming through here don't understand my views. Some, after realizing the differences between the world they just came from and my world in freedom, start to think about it and come to the conclusion that after all it's quite alright what I'm doing. This is if they had managed at some point to shake off the pressure people in their working lives are constantly faced with.
    Last edited by Dody; 09-22-2018 at 07:00 AM.
    fair winds, Dody

I was thinking Princess was a reliable yacht builder, look what they’ve done, unbelievable! https://princess55fly.blogspot.com/p/home.html