Page 102 of 102 FirstFirst ... 25292101102
Results 3,536 to 3,557 of 3557

Thread: Restoration of the BC Salmon Troller "Petrel"

Default Re: Restoration of the BC Salmon Troller "Petrel"

yup. but its not common knowledge
    Denise, Bristol PA, Oday30, Anchor Yacht Club, On tidal Delaware River. my current project; http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...0-Ducker-Resto

Quote Originally Posted by DeniseO30 View Post
    yup. but its not common knowledge
    I & most of my friends have heated with wood for many years - so it's normal for us - but I forget it isn't for others.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

the unknowing even use duct tape on flue pipes. Being in HVAC most of my life the things I've seen..."very very frightening mom a mia"
    Last edited by DeniseO30; 10-13-2018 at 12:12 PM.
    Denise, Bristol PA, Oday30, Anchor Yacht Club, On tidal Delaware River. my current project; http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...0-Ducker-Resto

Quote Originally Posted by DeniseO30 View Post
    the unknowing even use duct tape on flue pipes. Bing in HVAC most of my life the things I've seen..."very very frightening mom a mia"
    Wow. My house had a 15-20 lb chandelier that was supported by 2 wire nuts (& the ground wan't connected at all). This was right over where someone would stand to slam the front door closed... Kitchen cabinets with stapled MDO backs attached to the wall with 2 sheetrock screws through the MDO - for a double cabinet full of dishes. No weight there!

Iggerence is bliss I guess. Luckily - duct tape on a 400+ deg. flue wouldn't be a fire hazard!
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

just some of the things; cardboard and duct tape plenums, plywood ductwork, gas leaks but they still use the heater or appliance. VOC, dust, chemical air laden work environments with atmospheric combustion heaters (open flame,natural draft) plugged relief valves, hot wired direct gas vales and glowing red heat exchangers.... These are a few of my fav things...

But I would say hands down! the uncanny knack people have of putting combustible stuff right in the front or against a heating unit. Statement; "Sir, you have open paint and thinner in front of your furnace" Answer "Oh yeah I like to keep it warm/ only place for it/ keep it away from the pets, etc.

OK.. gone shopping have a great weekend everyone

^^^ My own scary DIY home owner story: The guy who owned our house for fifty or so years before us obviously did all of his own work, including his own "wiring". Which I put in quotes because his idea of adding a fixture was to take a power strip, cut off the plug, strip the insulation and wrap the bare wires around the nearest pair of knob & tube conductors. They were everywhere but my favorite was the one stuffed into the ceiling over the shower in the basement bathroom and hooked up to a bare bulb hanging down actually in the shower stall...

Thanks for the tip on orienting the chimney duct Denise. I *might* have gotten that right, but it's equally possible that I would have done it the other way so good to have the guidance. As for progress... Dash and I headed up to Blaine this morning on an absolutely beautiful fall day in the PNW.

It would have been a perfect day to just hang on the hook in Active Cove on Patos Island and do nothing at all, but we had work to do.

First, see if we could get the diagnostics tester to work based on the correct wiring diagram. Turned out that the problem was that the diagnostics feed from the heater had been appropriated by the original installer as a thermostat control line for some reason. So as soon as the thermostat turned on it was grounding the tester and causing it to restart. Simple to fix - I just disconnected the ground feed to the thermostat and...

Hey - we have error codes! Much better. Of course they don't provide much information. Just what I already know - the heater is not igniting. But at least the ECU seems to be functioning and there is no critical failure code. So now I'm thinking it's more likely that it's a problem with carbon buildup or bad glow plug. Not hard to diagnose or solve either of those issues but it's a hassle to do it all the way up in Blaine. So I pulled the heater out and to brought it back to Seattle where I can fiddle with it more easily.

Lastly we did some measuring.

The Dickinson Adriatic will easily fit in the space occupied by the original stove. And the drop-in propane unit would fit between the stove and the sink as well. The deck fitting for the stove pipe turned out to be 4" rather than the necessary 5" but on closer inspection I was able to determine that only the mounting pad needs to be modified. The hole in the overhead is already more than large enough. So that will be an easy fix.

So, no heat yet but it feels like we are getting closer.

I guess a photo is really worth a thousand words. Espar was unknown to me. Eberspächer on the other hand ...
    From the manual: error code 52: " Safety time exceeded - heater does not start.
    Remedy: No flame was detected during the startup phase. Flame sensor value of less than 80°C (1310 ohms). Check the fuel supply, glow plug, exhaust piping, combustion air piping and flame sensor. Flame sensor values: 900 ohms at -25°C, 1100 ohms at +25°C"

Shortly after I procured my first stove, I found the match for it on Craigslist. $150 and pull it out of the old fishboat myself; all accessories included. The bronze deck iron and galvanized pipe put me in business but I should have used the bigger 4.5"cap.

It looks your deckpad is large enough to support a 5" iron but you may need a higher chimney height to support draw.In the meantime one of those wall-mounted Neptune's in the aft cabin could extend your cruising season or just provide a nice place to crash if you become overwhelmed with the winter workload.

Quote Originally Posted by Rumars View Post
    I guess a photo is really worth a thousand words. Espar was unknown to me. Eberspächer on the other hand ...
    From the manual: error code 52: " Safety time exceeded - heater does not start.
    Remedy: No flame was detected during the startup phase. Flame sensor value of less than 80°C (1310 ohms). Check the fuel supply, glow plug, exhaust piping, combustion air piping and flame sensor. Flame sensor values: 900 ohms at -25°C, 1100 ohms at +25°C"
    Thanks Rumars! That's pretty much what I was expecting. Hopefully it's not a problem with the flame sensor, as I think that part is no longer available for this model. And I'm certain that it's getting fuel since I had to drain quite a bit of it out of the exhaust (although there could still be a metering problem of some sort I suppose). The exhaust is clear as well. I didn't check the air intake so that's worth looking at I suppose, although I think a problem there is unlikely. So I'm going to test the glow plug first, as the most likely failure point.

Quote Originally Posted by chas View Post
    Shortly after I procured my first stove, I found the match for it on Craigslist. $150 and pull it out of the old fishboat myself; all accessories included. The bronze deck iron and galvanized pipe put me in business but I should have used the bigger 4.5"cap.

It looks your deckpad is large enough to support a 5" iron but you may need a higher chimney height to support draw.In the meantime one of those wall-mounted Neptune's in the aft cabin could extend your cruising season or just provide a nice place to crash if you become overwhelmed with the winter workload.
    I think you're right about the chimney height Jim. As evidence I offer this period photo of Skookum Maru when she still had her original diesel stove:

Looks like the old chimney was a couple of feet taller than what is there now.

The glow plug is certainly a weak spot on the Chinese heaters. Cheap replacements on eBay.

Not much to report on either Petrel or Skookum Maru right now as I've been buried at work for the last few days. But I did have a nice visit with Jim (Amazon), who was in Seattle this week. He gave me some useful on advice on Petrel after having a look at her. In particular he pointed out that there is nothing stopping me from finishing the frame repairs to the amidships section that I've been working on and then building the new deck just in that area. The aft section could be finished after that's done. I'm not sure why that didn't occur to me earlier. I was hung up on the idea of building the whole deck at once. But getting even a section of deck done would have huge benefits in restoring strength to the hull, being able to use the boat, move her around as needed, etc. So that's my new plan.

Jim also determined that I could fasten the new frames from the outside via the simple expedient of leaning over the side with an impact driver ("and a lanyard"). No work float or dock needed. As he demonstrated, it's possible to reach from the gunwale nearly to the waterline, all while standing inside the boat. Again, not sure why I didn't think of that but sometimes it takes a new set of eyes on the problem to point out the right path forward. So no actual work being done right now but quite a bit of progress made I think.

And on a different note, this neat little double ender turned up on Vancouver Craigslist recently...

https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/van/...704571610.html

31' LOA. Named Truant, built 1929. Not exactly a bargain at $25k CAD/$19k USD but a nice looking boat nonetheless.

I love Skookum Maru. She's big, handsome and comfortable - a great boat for extended cruising with a family. She has all the accommodations which Petrel never could provide; separate sleeping quarters for the kid, a full galley, comfortable seating both at anchor and when underway, wide walk-around decks and much more. I have come to understand that these amenities are critical to the happiness of the crew and that cruising aboard Petrel was just not a realistic plan. I enjoy those comforts as well of course, and anticipate many happy years ahead with S.M., but there is just something about small boats like Truant, Petrel and Amazon that sparks the imagination.

I can see Truant slipping into a tiny cove just at dusk, with the October chill taking away the heat of the day and the last glow of the afternoon sun lighting the trees on the eastern shore. The western side is already shadowed and the air is purple, smoky and still. After anchoring beneath a sandstone bluff, the crew settles into the cockpit to enjoy what is left of the evening. A glass of wine and quiet conversation by lamplight. Shadows reach across the harbor until only the very tops of the trees are lit. A final burst of flame before night envelops the island.

Dinner is a simple meal - grilled salmon perhaps, or a quick dish of fettuccini and prawns in a cream sauce - and eaten beneath a spreading carpet of stars. By this time any remaining warmth has vanished. Sweaters are donned before tackling galley cleanup and the other chores necessary to securing the boat for the night. Tying the tender tight against the stern so that it won't bump when the tide changes. Entering the fair copy of the day's log entries. Stowing gear. Finally the fire in the wood stove is banked, the cabin lights are doused and the crew crawls into their sleeping bags. Falling quickly asleep they dream of Raven, who placed the sun, moon and stars in the sky, and who reveals truths to all who will hear them.

Nice imaging Chris. You would be good at hypnosis therapy.

I love it, Chris, it's one of these awesome moments boatlife has in stock for us!
    fair winds, Dody

"They did not know it was impossible so they did it" - Mark Twain

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...h-Tonga/page12

Amazon Jim was in town...??!!
    1955 Fontana 18' - 1958 Atomic 4
    1960 Skippy 12C FeatherCraft - 1947 Mercury KD4 Rocket
    1985 Glen L15 - 1980 Johnson 7.5 hp
    2016 kayak Mill Creek 13

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogsnight View Post
    Well, yes... I hope I didn't blow his cover!

Youve got enough boats just for now!

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Youve got enough boats just for now!
    Yes, or perhaps one or two more than the optimal number just at present. To be clear, I'm not looking for another boat! But Truant sure is the sort of boat I like.

I dunno, operating a charter business could be fun. you've got time for another thing, right?
    There's the plan, then there's what actually happens.

Ben Sebens, RN

15' Welsford Navigator Inconceivable
    16' W. Simmons Mattinicus double ender ​Matty

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogsnight View Post
    Was being the operative word. I’m back in Juneau today. I really only had one free afternoon in Seattle and it was great to meet Chris in person, talk boats, and check out Petrel.

One thing that really struck me about Petrel was just how small of a boat she actually is. At 36 feet, you would think that she would fall into that big boat category but with the narrow beam, engine placement, and being double ended it really cuts down on the usable space, feeling much closer to Amazon in size, at 27 feet, once you are in the boat. I can see why Chris came to the conclusion that Petrel would never be the family cruising boat he was looking for. Happily, I think Petrel could still be a wonderful picnic day boat.

Hopefully, there will be more opportunities for me to visit with Chris and Petrel in the future and maybe even to get to help make some sawdust. That would be fun.
    -Jim

Sucker for a pretty face.
    1934 27' Blanchard Cuiser ~ Amazon, Ex. Emalu
    19'6" Caledonia Yawl ~ Sparrow

Getting into trouble one board at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by jsjpd1 View Post
    Was being the operative word. I’m back in Juneau today. I really only had one free afternoon in Seattle and it was great to meet Chris in person, talk boats, and check out Petrel.

One thing that really struck me about Petrel was just how small of a boat she actually is. At 36 feet, you would think that she would fall into that big boat category but with the narrow beam, engine placement, and being double ended it really cuts down on the usable space, feeling much closer to Amazon in size, at 27 feet, once you are in the boat. I can see why Chris came to the conclusion that Petrel would never be the family cruising boat he was looking for. Happily, I think Petrel could still be a wonderful picnic day boat.

Hopefully, there will be more opportunities for me to visit with Chris and Petrel in the future and maybe even to get to help make some sawdust. That would be fun.
    Thanks again for the visit Jim. I agree - great to meet in person! Hopefully I'll get a chance to head up your way to see Amazon sometime soon as well. And thanks for the advice with Petrel. It renews my enthusiasm for the work to have a goal that is a bit closer than the full reframe and deck rebuild I was envisioning. That still needs to be done of course, but it's much nicer to think about biting it off in smaller projects.

Things you find while looking at boats online.

An Olympic Y-12 just like the one I used to have on Savona. I'm sure that's what Skookum Maru had originally and it would look perfect in her galley. I'd love to find one of those rather than a new Dickinson. Sadly this one is not for sale. Unless I want to spend $55k for the boat it's installed in that is. Still they aren't exactly rare. I might get lucky.

Took a foggy trip through the locks aboard Graywin this morning.