Page 113 of 114 FirstFirst ... 1363103112113114 LastLast
Results 3,921 to 3,955 of 3958

Thread: Restoration of the BC Salmon Troller "Petrel"

The pocket trawler cruiser that I've been in love with for a few years now are the albin 27 and 28 family cruisers and or sport version they came with Isuzu 6 cylinders *I think*
    Denise, Bristol PA, Oday30, Anchor Yacht Club, On tidal Delaware River. my current project; http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...0-Ducker-Resto

Default Re: Restoration of the BC Salmon Troller "Petrel"

Quote Originally Posted by cstevens View Post
    I think Paul was in the habit of running it at full throttle (~2200 rpm or so is my recollection, but he may correct me here) for a few minutes at the end of each run which might not be a bad idea.
    OK, some corrections. Max rated rpm on that engine is 1800, not 2200. And I never saw 1800... with over 9,000 hours, 1700 is about all she'll do with a clean prop. And I didn't have a consistent habit of running her hard at the end of the day, but I would occasionally, to "clean the cylinders" and to check how she was working at full throttle.

As for running cool... when I had the raw water pump overhauled in 2016, the Jabsco guy took a look at it and said "Is it running a little cold?", I said "Yes, around 165", and he said "Well, the cam in here is for a 6-71. Let's change to one with less flow, that should help." It did raise the operating temperature 5 degrees or so. Still maybe a bit cool, but there's not much to do about that but moving to the Caribbean. (The thermostat is new, and standard.) At least you don't have to worry about her overheating!

--Paul

Quote Originally Posted by _QB_ View Post
    I said "Yes, around 165"
    I'd be happy as a clam at 165 ! I'm lucky to see 130. That's too low, especially with slobber power. I was getting a bunch of black oil droplets out the stack at first. That's gone away since I started running her up occasionally. Also see the egt getting up to the heights of 900 when I do full power runs. A self-cleaning oven gets hotter than that !

The previous two owners never ran her up at all, but I've been next to a runaway diesel once. Don't want to do that again. Detroits can load up on extended low-power running then they keep on running uncontrolled on the slop in the air boxes.

One point for Snoose (at 165 I wouldn't worry, Skookum) is a friend who is pretty good with diesels (he was involved in the changeover of the SF ferries to 149's) is that fuel economy should be better when the engine is at the correct operating temp.

Interesting about the water pump impeller, _QB_. I'll take a look at that some time, thanks !

(The thermostat is new, and standard.)
    They make a 160* and a 173* thermostat 'standard'. Sounds like Skookum has the 160.

But like I said, I'd be supremely happy at 165*
    Last edited by Favorite; 03-22-2019 at 03:43 PM.

OK, some corrections. Max rated rpm on that engine is 1800, not 2200. And I never saw 1800... with over 9,000 hours, 1700 is about all she'll do with a clean prop. And I didn't have a consistent habit of running her hard at the end of the day, but I would occasionally, to "clean the cylinders" and to check how she was working at full throttle.

As for running cool... when I had the raw water pump overhauled in 2016, the Jabsco guy took a look at it and said "Is it running a little cold?", I said "Yes, around 165", and he said "Well, the cam in here is for a 6-71. Let's change to one with less flow, that should help." It did raise the operating temperature 5 degrees or so. Still maybe a bit cool, but there's not much to do about that but moving to the Caribbean. (The thermostat is new, and standard.) At least you don't have to worry about her overheating!

--Paul
    Ah - thanks for the clarification Paul. Good info to have. And yes, after a lifetime of driving classic cars in traffic with a constant eye on the temperature gauge it's good to not have that to worry about for sure.

Chris, Suzie is a 4GB1, no turbo. RPM tops out at 2100-2200, which I occasionally employ for ten minutes or so, noisy. My operating temps are 170-190, fresh-water cooled with heat exchangers on engine and transmission. I can get to these temps idling at the dock. / Jim

Quote Originally Posted by ron ll View Post
    I think your large engine room with lots of sound deadening is most of the answer.
    One thing I did that I'm pretty happy with, is I put a stable mat on the floor of the wheelhouse. 3/4 inch thick, weighed about 100 lbs. Only cost $45 including tax and all applicable fees and licenses.

That cut the edges of the noise quite a bit - didn't make it library quiet by any means but killed some of the racket. I can talk on the phone inside now, even at 1400 or so.

The second thing it did was an unexpected byproduct but still good - it's much nicer to stand on. There's little raised blotches for traction and it's not exactly springy (for a horse I'm a lightweight) but there's more give to it than wood. It's relaxing for the legs. Even in a couple hours dilly-dallying around I noticed my back and legs felt better.

Running a diesel cool with low load can lead to glazed cylinder liners (walls), oil consumption, and blue smokey exhaust. I'm not sure of the factory operating temp for a 3-71 but I'd try to get it in line with the factory specified temp and run it under a good load...which it sounds like you're doing already.

Time for an update on Petrel. Right after she went back in the water after the haulout in 2017 the battery charger died. Since then I had been using a trickle charger just to keep the battery topped up to run the bilge pumps if needed and so I could start the engine occasionally. But either through over charging or some other cause the battery eventually died and would not hold a charge. Fortunately she doesn't leak at all but that's not a state of affairs to be relied on with a wooden boat (or any boat for that matter). So today I installed a new battery, new battery charger, new float switch for the bilge pump and a new ground cable for the engine. With that done she now starts on the button again, and the bilge pump functions if it's needed.

It was good to fire up the Detroit Diesel and feel like Petrel is alive again but it's also a little bittersweet. Recently we took a realistic look at what it costs to moor and maintain two big boats. Not to belabor the obvious but it's a lot, especially when you stack it up against things like retirement and Dash's college fund (both looming rather closer than is entirely comfortable). So after some serious discussion and more than a few tears from Dash we have decided to find a new home for Petrel.

At this point I don't know exactly what that looks like. She's functional (or will be once I get the steering hooked up again) but she's still very much a project and project boats are not much in demand. So we will see how that goes. It may be that I will keep working on her to finish some of the bigger jobs and get her to the point where someone will take her on. But one way or another I am hoping to find her a good home with someone who will continue the work that I started. She deserves that much at least.

Tough call Chris, but itís probably for the best. Trying to maintain momentum on a project of Petrelís size and maintain and cruise Skookum Maru was always going to be a big ask even if money was no object.
    -Jim

Sucker for a pretty face.
    1934 27' Blanchard Cuiser ~ Amazon, Ex. Emalu
    19'6" Caledonia Yawl ~ Sparrow

Getting into trouble one board at a time.

i sure wish i lived closer and was a bit younger, i would love to have her. i bet there are many interested folks out there. best of wishes to her and you. if you do sell it will you move skookum down?

jim

Quote Originally Posted by jsjpd1 View Post
    Tough call Chris, but it’s probably for the best. Trying to maintain momentum on a project of Petrel’s size and maintain and cruise Skookum Maru was always going to be a big ask even if money was no object.
    Yes, exactly. As my wise wife pointed out to me. And it's one thing to contemplate the cost of moorage, insurance, etc. for one month and quite another thing to think about how much that would be over the next ten years or so. That definitely put things in perspective!

Quote Originally Posted by MADOC1 View Post
    i sure wish i lived closer and was a bit younger, i would love to have her. i bet there are many interested folks out there. best of wishes to her and you. if you do sell it will you move skookum down?

jim
    Thanks Jim. At the moment we are still planning to keep Skookum Maru in Blaine but we may try to sublet a slip down here for part of the year to do some cruising around Seattle and in the South Sound area.

I think you will be happy with your decision Even if it feels a bit hard now.

So after some serious discussion and more than a few tears from Dash we have decided to find a new home for Petrel.
    You can tell Dash that's okay, grown men are crying about it too...

--Paul

... we have decided to find a new home for Petrel.

She certainly looks a bazillion times better than when you started ! You did really good by her ... And if anyone needs to know her condition, this thread is better than a survey !

Plus they get several nice design ideas for a potential cabin

I'd say she's come way up in the world since the days of being a forlorn wreck waiting to be cut up ...

Having not read through 113 pages, what big projects remain for Petrel? I'm just starting to think about/look for a wooden hull cruising and fishing boat for the Salish.

Thanks - Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Davis View Post
    Having not read through 113 pages, what big projects remain for Petrel? I'm just starting to think about/look for a wooden hull cruising and fishing boat for the Salish.

Thanks - Gary
    Ah - good question. Right now Petrel is basically operational although I need to reinstall the hydraulic lines to the steering cylinder, which I will be doing soon. She has had recent garboard refastening and recaulking, plank replacement and frame repairs (2017) to address the most pressing issues. Right now she floats without leaking and the engine runs well. The remaining projects in rough order of size and priority are:

- Sistering and repairing the frames aft of the pilothouse, which are suffering from iron sickness. I have been chipping away at this project in the water by laminating frames in place and fastening them temporarily from the inside but it would be more efficient to haul out and tackle it all at once.

- Rebuilding the aft deck. I had been planning to lower the level of the deck to the same height as the pilothouse sole, which would create a cockpit in place of the original working deck and would make the height of the outside steering station a bit more comfortable. That would require installing a new, lower beam shelf. Alternately one could rebuild the deck at the original level using the original beam shelf, which is still solid.

Here is how the aft portion of Petrel looks now, mostly. I've made further progress on the frame repairs since this photo was taken but it's representative of where things stand:

- Repairing the horn timber around the rudder post. This area has been suffering from galvanic deterioration. My hope is that it could be stabilized with penetrating epoxy, or at worst would require a dutchman and reboring the hole for the rudder post but a detailed inspection should be done out of the water to determine the extent of the damage and necessary work.

- She's due for a haulout and paint and I was planning to wood the bottom in the next haulout.

With those repairs done I believe that Petrel would be seaworthy and usable for day cruising or camp cruising. Beyond that, I would:

- Replace the fuel tanks. The port tanks are mild steel. I have removed all the fuel from them and have been using the starboard tank only, which is fiberglass and in good condition.

- Refinish and reinstall the pilothouse windows and trunk cabin portlights (all of which exist and in good condition).

- Rewire. Right now she has a minimal electrical system just sufficient to run the engine and the bilge pump and to charge the battery via shore power. My plan was to build a new inside helm and install a very basic system to run navigation and interior lights and a few other essentials but no more than that, but of course any new owner may have other plans.

- Rebuild the dry stack or convert her to a wet exhaust (quieter and cleaner).

- Recaulk the foredeck, or replace the laid deck with plywood and fiberglass.

That would address most of the functional issues. Everything else is cosmetic. The pilothouse and cabin could best described as "old fishing boat chic" and there are no real accommodations. I would gut the cabin and start over. She also needs paint on the cabintops and decks.

Yeah, she's a project. Individually each of these jobs isn't huge but they do add up. Sigh. I guess you have to be excited by the idea of rebuilding an old boat to want one like Petrel. I would love to finish the work myself though. And hey - if no one else wants her I may still do that, and try to find a home for her when she's a bit further along.

Good decision, even if not an easy one.

Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by navydog View Post
    I think you will be happy with your decision Even if it feels a bit hard now.
    You can tell Dash that's okay, grown men are crying about it too...

--Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Good decision, even if not an easy one.

Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk
    Not an easy step to take for sure. I did have visions of using her for day cruising around Seattle but even if that were affordable the reality of caring for two boats would have just meant less time for boating overall. I have enjoyed every minute with Petrel (well, with the exception of a few moments during the Gig Harbor cruise, with the open garboard seams letting in the sea and the bilge full of engine oil...). But that little adventure aside it's been a great experience. I would have liked to finish the project but given the choice between working on Petrel by myself and cruising aboard Skookum Maru with my family the right path becomes pretty obvious.

Projects of that scale never seem to get finished, there always some thing more. Get out on the water, it supposed to be great weather.

With this sadness, an amusing story. Our maintenance engineer came from a well off family, they had a cabin on one of the Gulf Islands and one in Whistler . To get across to Gulf Islands he had a fiberglass hardtop. I guess his father had had one as well. So after his dad died he decided to rebuild it. His daughter's comment "Dad, you started this when I was in grade one, I graduate this year and it's still not finished."

Quote Originally Posted by Downwindtracker2 View Post
    Projects of that scale never seem to get finished ...
    Au contraire, monsewer. Look at the beginning of the thread. This boat was a derelict when Chris took her on. She's now much better. He made tremendous progress until he fell for another wo ... err, boat

For another example, look at the "Harbormaster called today ..." thread. And lots more.

Sure. Some people do not finish projects. But others do.

Petrel's on a roll. Let's not douse progress with nattering negativism

I don’t think Ray was being negative. The reverse in fact. He was saying that “done” is not the right criteria for success because there is always something left to do. Which is a reasonable point. Petrel is in better shape than when I found her and I can be happy with that even if there is more work still to be done.

Chris,
    I hope you will start a new thread so we can follow your adventures on Skookum Maru.

You should have a painting party Chris. There are are enough folks around willing to lend a hand. A solid weekend worth of work with a few folks could go along way towards getting Petrel back into usable condition and make it easier to find a new steward.

With enough lead time I might be able to come lend a hand too.
    -Jim

me 2
    1955 Fontana 18' - 1958 Atomic 4
    1960 Skippy 12C FeatherCraft - 1947 Mercury KD4 Rocket
    1985 Glen L15 - 1980 Johnson 7.5 hp
    2016 kayak Mill Creek 13

Quote Originally Posted by navydog View Post
    Chris,
    I hope you will start a new thread so we can follow your adventures on Skookum Maru.
    Definitely!

Quote Originally Posted by jsjpd1 View Post
    You should have a painting party Chris. There are are enough folks around willing to lend a hand. A solid weekend worth of work with a few folks could go along way towards getting Petrel back into usable condition and make it easier to find a new steward.

With enough lead time I might be able to come lend a hand too.
    That's a good idea! Really it would not be hard to build a temporary aft deck(two or three days), refinish and install the pilothouse windows (another couple of days) and finish painting the cabin and decks (another day or two - the prep work is mostly done). At that point she could be used as-is, and her remaining projects can be tackled over time. Which would certainly be a better place to be for any new owner.

We are planning a short cruise aboard Skookum Maru during Dash's spring break in April but after that I could build the temporary aft deck and then schedule a painting party/EBS.... I like it!

Heck, with a couple of folks to paint and a couple to build, finishing off the deck is not a prerequisite to a work party.
    -Jim

Chris's dream for the Petrel was a dream that every boy growing up on the BC coast could have had. I know it was mine. They were almost a daily part of my life, seeing them on the Fraser river, sometimes even making a set. But realistically, Chris would never had likely taken the Petrel up to Desolation Sound, though it would be very good bet Petrel had been there, but with the Skookum Maru he had damm well better this summer ! And in great comfort, something you will never find in a fishing boat.

It has always my creed that when the thirst for adventure ends, the preparation's for the grave begin.

Quote Originally Posted by Downwindtracker2 View Post
    Chris's dream for the Petrel was a dream that every boy growing up on the BC coast could have had. I know it was mine. They were almost a daily part of my life, seeing them on the Fraser river, sometimes even making a set. But realistically, Chris would never had likely taken the Petrel up to Desolation Sound, though it would be very good bet Petrel had been there, but with the Skookum Maru he had damm well better this summer ! And in great comfort, something you will never find in a fishing boat.

It has always my creed that when the thirst for adventure ends, the preparation's for the grave begin.
    Yes, that's it exactly. I grew up drawing and dreaming about tugs and forestry patrol boats and fishing boats just like Petrel. I would have loved to take her up north, to Desolation or further. I know she has been to Alaska at least once. That dream won't happen in the way I had envisioned but Petrel did lead directly to Skookum Maru, as it was this thread that prompted Paul to reach out to me about buying her. So in a sense, all of the adventures we will have on Skookum Maru started with Petrel. And with luck Petrel will find a home with someone who will be in a better situation to continue the work and enjoy cruising aboard her. She may not be as comfortable as Skookum Maru but I do still think that she would be a great little cruiser for the right people. Maybe some day we will be able to rendezvous with her at anchor and be able to enjoy both boats for their various virtues.

With the fuel lines done it was time to fire it up. I haven't hooked up the transfer pump yet so the I filled the tank with a couple of gallons of diesel that I brought up for the purpose, opened the shutoff valves (one at the tank and one at the stove), checked all of the connections for leaks (all good) and then went through the starting ritual that I recalled from my years of living with a simlar stove aboard Savona:

1. Open the metering valve to let in enough diesel to cover the bottom of the pot and then shut it off again.

2. Turn on the draft fan about half-speed.

3. Twist and light a small piece of paper, and drop it in the pool of diesel.

4. Wait for the fuel to light and warm the burner up enough to sustain a clean burn.

5. ....

Well, step 5 is to open up the fuel meter again once the flame is burning cleanly. But I didn't get to step 5 because as soon as the fuel in the burner started burning the cabin was immediately filled with great clouds of black smoke. Not good! I quickly shut everything off and opened up all the doors and windows to air out the boat. While I was waiting for the smoke to clear I decided to check my memory against the instructions from Dickinson. Had I made some mistake? But no - their instructions were pretty much what I had been doing for years. Hm. Ok, maybe I had just flooded the burner or something. Let's see if a second attempt is better.

Open the valve, turn on the fan, light the pool.... Black smoke everywhere again. Bleah. Maybe I didn't have the fan on high enough? But no, turning the fan up just made the smoke worse. Wait... what? Turning the fan up makes the smoke worse... Turning the fan UP makes the smoke WORSE. Ah ha! I quickly swapped the leads on the fan and immediately the smoke started heading up the chimney where it belonged, the air in the cabin cleared, and the stove started burning with the bright clean flame I remembered.

I just finished re cementing the firebox in my Dickinson and was told not to use paper towel to light it as it tends to leave deposits behind, I was told to light the stove with a cap full of methyl hydrate.

Quote Originally Posted by Penta2 View Post
    I just finished re cementing the firebox in my Dickinson and was told not to use paper towel to light it as it tends to leave deposits behind, I was told to light the stove with a cap full of methyl hydrate.
    Thanks Penta2, and welcome to the forum! I've heard of people starting their diesel stoves on alcohol, methanol (methyl hydrate) or sterno. There are also those who just light the diesel directly with a BBQ lighter. I've always used paper and have never found the deposits to be a problem but I've be meaning to try other methods to see if I like them any better. Have you tried it yet? How did it work for you?

Thanks Penta2, and welcome to the forum! I've heard of people starting their diesel stoves on alcohol, methanol (methyl hydrate) or sterno. There are also those who just light the diesel directly with a BBQ lighter. I've always used paper and have never found the deposits to be a problem but I've be meaning to try other methods to see if I like them any better. Have you tried it yet? How did it work for you?
    I have been lighting it on methyl the past week, its seems the added quick heat from methyl helps get draft going faster, just be careful how much you add or you might not have eyebrows

Quote Originally Posted by Penta2 View Post
    I have been lighting it on methyl the past week, its seems the added quick heat from methyl helps get draft going faster, just be careful how much you add or you might not have eyebrows
    Ha! Yeah, good tip. I also expect that the heat from the starter fuel helps heat the diesel faster, which is what actually makes it burn properly. I like the idea of lighting it on sterno as the jelly form seems like it would be easier to manage. Maybe I'll have to conduct some tests on different methods. Very well controlled tests though, with a fire extinguisher close at hand.

So I gave serious consideration to taking on Petrel. My wife and I spent 3 days day dreaming, scheming, planning, plotting, and generally fantasizing about what the future could hold for my family and Petrel. Chris very kindly worked with me to see if it could work.

But the realities of schedules, finances, and two little boys mean that its not a good idea.

A work party is a great idea, and I hope to be a part of getting Petrel on to her next steward.
    There's the plan, then there's what actually happens.

Ben Sebens, RN

15' Welsford Navigator Inconceivable
    16' W. Simmons Mattinicus double ender ​Matty

Quote Originally Posted by BBSebens View Post
    So I gave serious consideration to taking on Petrel. My wife and I spent 3 days day dreaming, scheming, planning, plotting, and generally fantasizing about what the future could hold for my family and Petrel. Chris very kindly worked with me to see if it could work.

But the realities of schedules, finances, and two little boys mean that its not a good idea.

A work party is a great idea, and I hope to be a part of getting Petrel on to her next steward.
    Hey Ben, I'll confess that I was also dreaming about you having Petrel and keeping her up north where we could see her on occasion, and maybe even cruise in company. But I have to agree with your decision to pass on her. You will get more use and enjoyment from Inconceivable for a small fraction of what it would cost to moor, maintain and continue restoring Petrel. But I would love your help for the work party. I am working to come up with some options for timing and will float them here for consideration by anyone who is interested in helping out.

And to allay any potential concern for Petrel's future here, I should make it clear that there is no real urgency in finding her a new home. It does not make sense for us to continue owning two boats indefinitely but the issue is not pressing. The decision does have some affect on which projects I will do in the interim period while we are looking for a new owner to take her on (I probably won't build out much of the interior, for example, as someone else may have different ideas there) but I'm happy to keep plugging away at the work until that does happen.

She is a very good looking boat. Proportions that sweet are quite rare on a powerboat.

I hope you find a worthy steward to carry on the project.