Page 108 of 108 FirstFirst ... 85898107108
Results 3,746 to 3,770 of 3770

Thread: Restoration of the BC Salmon Troller "Petrel"

Both those posts made me smile. Merry Christmas.

Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

Default Re: Restoration of the BC Salmon Troller "Petrel"

Quote Originally Posted by cstevens View Post
    Merry Christmas Powerwagon! And to everyone; Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays and best wishes for a Happy New Year! Here's hoping that 2019 will bring some peace to us all. For me, peace looks very much like an evening in a quiet cove with a stew simmering on the Dickinson, a glass of wine in hand and the family sitting around the dinette table working on a puzzle or reading aloud from some good book. That might be my sole resolution for the new year.
    Quote Originally Posted by RainierHooker View Post
    Thats a good resolution. So different from my usual reality in that same cove; family sitting around the dinette trying to stay out of the way of me fixing whatever thing broke on the cruise out that day...
    Or my reality, too much stuff on the dinette for anyone to actually sit at it. My wife and I playing twister while trying to work around each other getting dinner ready. Meanwhile, the oldest child is firmly ensconced in her bunk with her nose in a book and the the other two chasing each other around the cockpit. You guys probably donít want to be anchored in the same cove as us. It gets noisy over here sometimes.
    -Jim

Sucker for a pretty face.
    1934 27' Blanchard Cuiser ~ Amazon, Ex. Emalu
    19'6" Caledonia Yawl ~ Sparrow

Getting into trouble one board at a time.

All these scenarios sound great to a guy who's boat has been out of the water for (too many) years. While the kids on mine will be grandkids, I can't wait. Next summer damnit!

Merry Christmas + all the other holidays & happy New Year to all!
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Merry Christmas Powerwagon! And to everyone; Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays and best wishes for a Happy New Year! Here's hoping that 2019 will bring some peace to us all. For me, peace looks very much like an evening in a quiet cove with a stew simmering on the Dickinson, a glass of wine in hand and the family sitting around the dinette table working on a puzzle or reading aloud from some good book. That might be my sole resolution for the new year.
    *LIKE*

Savor those times, Chris. My girls are both sophomores in college...although they were just tiny tots the day before yesterday...and I sigh wistfully thinking about those days of puzzles and reading aloud.

Merry Christmas to all, with wishes for a peaceful and joyous New Year.
    --​Anson, M/V Kingfisher

Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. ~The Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by RainierHooker View Post
    Thats a good resolution. So different from my usual reality in that same cove; family sitting around the dinette trying to stay out of the way of me fixing whatever thing broke on the cruise out that day...
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Both those posts made me smile. Merry Christmas.

Quote Originally Posted by jsjpd1 View Post
    Or my reality, too much stuff on the dinette for anyone to actually sit at it. My wife and I playing twister while trying to work around each other getting dinner ready. Meanwhile, the oldest child is firmly ensconced in her bunk with her nose in a book and the the other two chasing each other around the cockpit. You guys probably don’t want to be anchored in the same cove as us. It gets noisy over here sometimes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    All these scenarios sound great to a guy who's boat has been out of the water for (too many) years. While the kids on mine will be grandkids, I can't wait. Next summer damnit!

Merry Christmas + all the other holidays & happy New Year to all!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sabre View Post
    *LIKE*

Savor those times, Chris. My girls are both sophomores in college...although they were just tiny tots the day before yesterday...and I sigh wistfully thinking about those days of puzzles and reading aloud.

Merry Christmas to all, with wishes for a peaceful and joyous New Year.
    Cheers everyone. Anything that gets the whole family together on the water sounds good to me. Let's all do as much of that as possible in the new year. Jim, I would love to spend an evening - or several - in the same anchorage as Amazon. I suspect Dash would fit right into that level of chaos. I'll call that a goal for the future.

That, my friend, sounds like something we would happily be a part of and a worthy goal to strive for.
    -Jim

Happy (belated) New Year everyone! I would love to have progress to report on either Petrel or Skookum Maru but the truth is that I have been entirely consumed with holiday activities for the last month, culminating in our annual New Year's Day brunch. For which we usually have somewhere around fifty guests so it's a bit of a production. Try cooking a full brunch for fifty people in a home kitchen the size of a moderately-large closet some time. It's an adventure that requires about three days of prep before the event and then another couple of days to clean up afterward. We are just now getting back to our regular routine.

So, no actual work being done but I did get up to Blaine briefly this afternoon just to check on things and to stare at the spot where my new stove will go as soon as I have a few days free. This time I had the foresight to bring a square with me as well. The application of which revealed that the cut out is not, in fact, square at all. Well, it is in two of the three dimensions but the sides are not plumb to the bottom. Hm. I suppose I should have expected that but somehow I figured that since a stove is square the opening would be as well. Within reason at least. But no - they are a good 3/8" off of vertical.

I had been hoping to make the heat shield up in one piece, bending it at the corners. That could still be done but the angle complicates things a bit. So now I think it will be easier to make it in three pieces. And I have been tempted to fabricate it myself but in the interest of actually getting it done I suspect it's a better idea to have a professional tackle that job. I didn't have much time up there today but I'll have to take a day and measure the opening more exactly for an accurate drawing.

I did at least order the ceramic insulation board a few days ago though, so that's on the way. Once it arrives I'll head back up to Blaine, cut the insulation board, and line the box, and make templates for the heat shield panels. Hopefully I'll be able to do that next weekend. In the meantime I'm headed to Las Vegas this week (pretty much my least favorite place on the planet since I don't gamble and it's in the middle of a desert, so no boats to speak of) for the Consumer Electronics Show. More when I get back but until then I will leave you with this photo of a couple of Christmas presents in the galley just waiting for the installation of a stove so they can get to work:

I love a dutch oven! So many things you can do with one. Stews, soups, brisket, chicken... But my ultimate ambition in the galley is to cook a cassoulet aboard. I think it will be more work than the brunch (and in a smaller space) but it would be worth it. Mmmmmm... a cassoulet in the oven and a glass of red wine in hand on a cool Fall evening with the windows fogging up, the family gathered around the table and the stove keeping the salon toasty warm. Paradise.

This time I had the foresight to bring a square with me as well. The application of which revealed that the cut out is not, in fact, square at all. Well, it is in two of the three dimensions but the sides are not plumb to the bottom. Hm. I suppose I should have expected that but somehow I figured that since a stove is square the opening would be as well. Within reason at least. But no - they are a good 3/8" off of vertical.
    Make the heat shield square and space it off the wood with washers ? That's probably better anyhow, would insulate the metal from the wood a tad. And no one is going to be able to see that the bottom is 3/16" closer than the top

Otherwise, a sheet metal shop has no problems with non-squarity. Just measure all the sides. Glass is never square either, first thing I learned helping a glass guy. Never. Measure every side ...

Happy New Yeabr />

Quote Originally Posted by Favorite View Post
    Make the heat shield square and space it off the wood with washers ? That's probably better anyhow, would insulate the metal from the wood a tad. And no one is going to be able to see that the bottom is 3/16" closer than the top

Otherwise, a sheet metal shop has no problems with non-squarity. Just measure all the sides. Glass is never square either, first thing I learned helping a glass guy. Never. Measure every side ...
    Hm. That's a good point. The stove is square so the heat shield will either have to align with the sides of the box or the sides of the stove. It can't do both. And it would be easier to make it square than slanted. Seems obvious enough when you think about it but my mental block has been that I have been trying find a way to use the heat shield to cover the exposed edges of the insulation board, which I had planned on mounting directly to the sides of the box. So I've been focused on making the shield conform exactly to the shape of the box. However I could put the insulation on the back side of the heat shield instead of on the sides of the box itself. Then the heat shield can be square, with a lip to hide the insulation board. Like this:

(A Dickinson diesel heater being installed on a friend's boat a few days ago). There are a few things I would change from this installation. In particular I don't love that the corners of the heat shield are not closed - they just bent the sides but did nothing about the gaps. But the overall design would work fine I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Happy New Year
    Cheers Phil!

Chris, Just use a flange large enough to cover the gap and ceramic board. If the sheet metal is the same height as the counter top it can overlap and not be an issue as long as it fits down tight.

Quote Originally Posted by navydog View Post
    Chris, Just use a flange large enough to cover the gap and ceramic board. If the sheet metal is the same height as the counter top it can overlap and not be an issue as long as it fits down tight.
    That could work as well but...

One the right (aft) side of the box the side extends above the level of the counter so there is so edge to overlap. Not an insurmountable problem but something I need to work around. At the moment I'm thinking:

- U-shaped heat shield with just enough of a lip to cover the ceramic board mounted on a 1/2" stand-off.

- Reflective foil lining the wood surface of the box

- Copper flashing to cover the visible edges of the box, including the exposed section above the counter on the aft side.

That will actually be pretty similar to what was there originally:

but with the addition of the heat shield with standoff to create an air gap. To be completely honest I think the specs from Dickinson are overkill. The original design was 1/8" of some sort of insulation (probably asbestos but don't tell anyone) underneath the copper sheet, all fastened directly to the box. And there is no sign that the wood ever got too hot. But I'm choosing caution over confidence here and going with the recommendation from the manufacturer rather than my seat-of-the-pants assumptions.

...rather than my seat-of-the-pants assumptions.
    Ya don't wanna burn your bum!
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

But my ultimate ambition in the galley is to cook a cassoulet aboard. Mmmmmm... a cassoulet in the oven and a glass of red wine in hand on a cool Fall evening...
    Does your restaurant take reservations?

If you did like the little Newport photo but brought the bent-over edges out farther to overlap the wood, then no one would ever know the wood box was not perfectly square

I don't think you want to do anything at the top, because you want air to move behind the insulating shield ...

I'd rather close the top and leave the sides open, it would keep debris from falling into the space.

If you had a bit of 1/"' copper pipe and tube cutters you could shim those panels where they need to be, easily. Hope you had a great holiday season with your family Chris! From my charts Lyall Harbour on Saturna looks to be one of the closest anchorages to your current location in Blaine. Might I see you over this way some sunny weekend? All the best for 2019. / Jim

Quote Originally Posted by navydog View Post
    I'd rather close the top and leave the sides open, it would keep debris from falling into the space.
    Form over function

Happy New Year! Though we haven't left the dock recently, our diesel stove makes us so happy!

Standing by to help shift that lump of iron onto Skookum Maru....
    --​Anson, M/V Kingfisher

Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. ~The Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by chas View Post
    From my charts Lyall Harbour on Saturna looks to be one of the closest anchorages to your current location in Blaine. Might I see you over this way some sunny weekend?
    A little closer to Blaine: grab mooring balls at Tumbo Island. Gorgeous spot. Check out walks ashore, and the Belle Chain Islets and Boiling Reef by boat. True, it's not much farther to Lyall Harbour, and a direct route through Boat Pass and Winter Cove is nice near high slack. So many great times to be had...

Quote Originally Posted by Favorite View Post
    Form over function
    The correct way to say this is; "form follows function"

"The correct way to say this is; "form follows function""

I heard him right the first time. / Jim

Well here I am stuck in Las Vegas, my least favorite place on the planet. With apologies to anyone who truly enjoys living, working or vacationing here, I simply do not understand why people will willingly pay money to spend their free time in this inhumane, soulless, ego-driven patch of desert. Bleah.

I'm beat after a day walking around the show floor at CES (biggest consumer tech show of the year, at least in this country) so I do not have the energy to respond in any detail, but thanks to all of you for your responses. And a few comments:

- Jim (chas) and Paul, a Gulf Islands cruise is absolutely in the plans as soon as possible. A long weekend to Saturna, Tumbo or one of my favorites, Annette Inlet, is something we could easily do as soon as we have some heat. We'll probably have to save Silva Bay and points farther north for this summer when Dash is out of school but that's something we plan to do as well.

- Anson, I might be calling on you sooner than later as I would like to get the stove aboard for a trial fitting within the next couple of weeks. I'll ping you to work out the details. Thanks!

More progress when I get back to my own damp, mossy, quiet corner of the planet...

So...are you home yet? Looking forward to seeing that stove finished off. I've heard that working on boats is a good way to restore the soul after long crushing trips to Vegas. Just sayin'.
    -Jim

Quote Originally Posted by jsjpd1 View Post
    So...are you home yet? Looking forward to seeing that stove finished off. I've heard that working on boats is a good way to restore the soul after long crushing trips to Vegas. Just sayin'.

Hey Jim, good timing! I just picked up a stack of copper sheet and an inexpensive benchtop sheet metal brake this morning. Those items along with a box of ceramic insulation board and miscellaneous other bits are all sitting in the shop next to the stove ready to take up to Blaine. I'm taking Dash to a model train show tomorrow morning and then will be heading up to Blaine tomorrow night to work on the stove installation. With any luck I hope to have the stove mounted in the cutout and ready for installation of the chimney and fuel lines by Monday night. We will see how I do.