X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lew Barrett
    Landlocked
    • Dec 2005

Re: Restoration of BC Salmon Troller "Petrel"

I's a bit late in the game to ask, but is there a reason you opted not to use a chemical stripper? Did you try one and find it wasn't effective? I've never found dry stripping faster or more efficient than chemical stripping, and there are a number of good strippers, some of which are considerably more benign than MEK.

I enjoy perusing these northwest threads. It seems like I know every boat and every vista. Wondering if "the Oregon Petrel" used to be the same Petrel that belonged to Chris and Kathy Grace out of Port Townsend and was sold a few years ago back to Oregon?

Article Link

I have some of my own photos of her (Petal......also of Wells Gray when she was owned by Dave Walker). I've cruised and rafted with both of those boats.
    Last edited by Lew Barrett; 08-29-2016, 09:33 PM.
    One of the most enduring qualities of an old wooden boat is the smell it imparts to your clothing.

Comment

• cstevens
      Dreaming of a boat
      • Nov 2014

Lew, I've used chemical strippers in the past but have always found them to be messy and hard to control. I really like the heat gun although I'm beginning to think its not the fastest method - at least the way I'm going about it. But you are not the first person to suggest the chemical option so maybe it's time for me to revisit it. Any recommendations?
      - Chris

Any single boat project will always expand to encompass the set of all possible boat projects.

Life is short. Go boating now!

Comment

• Lew Barrett
        Landlocked
        • Dec 2005

Chris, try Soystrip or one of the other soy based strippers first as it's the least ugly to use. It usually worked well for me. If not, you're probably straight off to the MEK compounds. Jay Greer is fond of airplane strippers but I've used the generics like Jasco to good effect too. A nice thing about the soy based strippers is that you can cover them with plastic wrap which extends the working time. Try and see. You have little to loose. If that doesn't work for you, off to the MEK but be careful. You might find some areas where only a chemical stripper will be effective....around windows/port lights or where there is molding with ogee details and the like. Also I think it works better when there is some wind (vis a vis heat). Heat guns and wind can be a PITA.

Also, I took a second look at the "Oregon Petrel" and is definitely Chris and Kathy's boat. Neat boat. Props for determination, pal!
        One of the most enduring qualities of an old wooden boat is the smell it imparts to your clothing.

Comment

• Lew Barrett
          Landlocked
          • Dec 2005

I should add that chemical stripping is messy, no denying that. Eventually you do figure out ways to decrease the distgustingness but the up side for me is that it is a lot faster once you get your systems down and get rolling. Also, it's the only way to properly/safely do lead based paints.

Comment

• cstevens
            Dreaming of a boat
            • Nov 2014

Thanks Lew. I've used Jasco and airplane strippers in the past on cars and motorcycles. Very effective but awful to work with. I may give one of the eco strippers a try though. Several people have suggested it in addition to you so I should at least see it for myself.
            - Chris

Any single boat project will always expand to encompass the set of all possible boat projects.

Comment

• DeniseO30
              Thinks too much..
              • Jan 2009

Paint ugh! Chris, may I swing you away from that topic to ask you about the dry stack? I was looking at your sketch ( nice sketch too!) and had a question about the telescoping joint at the top. Would you not want the top section to slide inside the lower section? that way any water or residue would stay within the pipe and not drip out of the joint? Ok ,back to scraping paint!
              Denise, Bristol PA, retired from HVAC business, & boat restoration and building

Comment

• cstevens
                Dreaming of a boat
                • Nov 2014

Thanks Denise! The slip joint is based on dry exhaust examples from Dave Gerr. He doesn't specify why the open end of outer section faces downward but he's the expert so I just followed the diagrams from his book. I've been rethinking the design of the exhaust a bit based on Ron LL's experience on Snoose though. Version II is in the works. But paint scraping has to happen first...
                - Chris

Comment

• Al G
                  • Aug 2016

Lew, using electric heat guns can be slow going for paint stripping but LPG gas torches are much quicker and the paint blisters without the wood underneath getting cooked so badly, in my limited experience. I've never seen professional house painters use anything else.

Looking good Chris. I admire your dedication. All the best.

Comment

• Lew Barrett
                    Landlocked
                    • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Al G
                    Lew, using electric heat guns can be slow going for paint stripping but LPG gas torches are much quicker and the paint blisters without the wood underneath getting cooked so badly, in my limited experience. I've never seen professional house painters use anything else.

Looking good Chris. I admire your dedication. All the best.
                    I have never personally used torches mostly because a fair amount of my work has been aimed at areas that were slated to be varnished. It was not unusual to see torches in action on bottoms, but (anecdotal?) that seems to have become less common practice possibly due to yard restrictions?

This video demonstrates the problem.

No doubt a lot is up to the skill of user, but without a good touch there is the potential to do harm quickly. I have seen several propane systems that heat a pad, thereby avoiding the application of direct flame on the wood.

Another issue with propane in a situation such as Chris is facing is the proximity of glass lights, windows, what have you. I think for house painting it may be fine, but I've only seen torching used on heavily overpainted bottoms. I never tried the torch myself but I have spent plenty of time with chemicals, sanding, heat and even dry scraping. I always find the material I am trying to remove (coupled with the substrate I'm working with) usually informs me as to what technique is best in each situation.

The torch scares me!

Edit to add: This guy in the video demonstrates lousy technique in every way, but he makes my point about as well as it could be made!
                    Last edited by Lew Barrett; 08-31-2016, 11:38 AM.

Comment

• DeniseO30
                      Thinks too much..
                      • Jan 2009

outdoors paint striping with torch is not easy either guys. hard to see the flame in bright sunlight. even slight wind makes it hard to keep the paint soft. no sun no wind is a good time. Late day early evening always works best, 2 hours at that time can be more productive then a whole day in the sun and wind. Or in your case Chris. since she's afloat. just work on the shady side if you aren't already doing that. then; ... turnerround!

Comment

• Al G
                        • Aug 2016

The torch scares me!

Hell that torch scares me too!

I'm thinking of something much smaller for detailed work. You are dead right about the risks. I just offered the suggestion as a quick method for churning through large areas, not as a superior method by any means.

Cheers, Alex

Comment

• cstevens
                          Dreaming of a boat
                          • Nov 2014

I've done the torch before as well, a very long time ago when I was too young to know better. It might work for some but seems to me that the phrase "playing with fire" does seem appropriate here. No, I'll try the chemicals again to see if they are better than the gun but no pyrotechnics thank you!
                          - Chris

Comment

• DeniseO30
                            Thinks too much..
                            • Jan 2009

Yee haw!! No affiliation. And before you all start quoting me yes, I know the negativity of such a machine!
                            Last edited by DeniseO30; 08-31-2016, 07:58 PM.

Comment

• Al G
                              • Aug 2016

Damn, Denise. That looks like the business! I'll have to get rid of my flamethrower and up the anti.

Comment

• jsjpd1
                                mmmm....boat good.
                                • Oct 2009

Originally posted by Lew Barrett
                                I have never personally used torches mostly because a fair amount of my work has been aimed at areas that were slated to be varnished. It was not unusual to see torches in action on bottoms, but (anecdotal?) that seems to have become less common practice possibly due to yard restrictions?

This video demonstrates the problem.

No doubt a lot is up to the skill of user, but without a good touch there is the potential to do harm quickly. I have seen several propane systems that heat a pad, thereby avoiding the application of direct flame on the wood.

Another issue with propane in a situation such as Chris is facing is the proximity of glass lights, windows, what have you. I think for house painting it may be fine, but I've only seen torching used on heavily overpainted bottoms. I never tried the torch myself but I have spent plenty of time with chemicals, sanding, heat and even dry scraping. I always find the material I am trying to remove (coupled with the substrate I'm working with) usually informs me as to what technique is best in each situation.

The torch scares me!

Edit to add: This guy in the video demonstrates lousy technique in every way, but he makes my point about as well as it could be made!

Why in the world would you use a weed burner?!?!?

okay, okay I admit it. I use a torch to remove paint and I'm not sorry either. Heck, I might be doing myself a favor if I accidentally burn the whole mess down one day.
                                -Jim

Sucker for a pretty face.
                                1934 27' Blanchard Cuiser ~ Amazon, Ex. Emalu
                                19'6" Caledonia Yawl ~ Sparrow

Getting into trouble one board at a time.

Comment

Working...