Page 29 of 64 FirstFirst ... 1928293039 ... LastLast
Results 981 to 1,015 of 2220

Thread: Restoration of the BC Salmon Troller "Petrel"

Default Re: Restoration of BC Salmon Troller "Petrel"

Time for a confession... I bought another boat last week.

A CLC Mill Creek tandem. And now I've violated Yeadon's stricture about having only one boat in each category since I already have a two-person kayak ("Appleby", the decked canoe/kayak I picked up earlier this year). In my defense the Mill Creek was cheap - way less than the cost of the kit to build one - and it's ready to go, which the other boat is not. And since we are heading up to Friday Harbor this weekend with the hope of getting out on the water a bit I rationalized that it would be easier to buy a done boat than try to get the other one ready in time.

On the other hand, I did manage to get rid of a boat by selling our little Avon inflatable yesterday, so I have not increased my overall total. And in answer to the inevitable questions... no, I don't know what I'm going to do with the other boat yet. Keep it in the water next to Petrel and use it for gunkholing around the Ship Canal maybe.
    - Chris

https://fvpetrel.wordpress.com

Life is short. Go boating now!

That's a piece of art.

There's no rule about having too much art.

Sweet!

What a beauty!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Aquinian View Post
    That's a piece of art.

There's no rule about having too much art.
    Quote Originally Posted by Powerwagon View Post
    Sweet!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dody View Post
    What a beauty!!!
    Thanks everyone. I was pretty happy with the find, especially since I had my sights on building or buying a Mill Creek all along, as a good-looking wooden kayak able to carry the whole family. So when this one popped up I had to grab it.

Back to Petrel for the moment though. After some family discussion we now have a cruising goal for this year - an overnight in Gig Harbor over Labor Day weekend. Gig Harbor, for those not from around these parts, is a sheltered harbor about 23nm South of Seattle with a pretty little town and decent marina facilities as well as good anchorage. The preferred route is down Colvos Passage, a long channel between Vashon Island and the Kitsap Peninsula that's about a mile wide. It's a nice sheltered trip for most of the way. There is a chance we may be able to cruise in company with Snoose as well depending on Ron's schedule.

We are in Friday Harbor this weekend so that leaves me with two weekends to get ready for the trip and a list of things to get done, starting with sleeping arrangements. Hammocks all around is a tempting solution, if only for the romantic aspect (shades of the age of sail, wooden ships and iron men and all that) but after some consideration I think a more-or-less temporary v-berth for the adults will be easier and faster. Then a box over the front of the motor will do double duty to enclose the engine compartment and provide a berth for Dash... Plenty to do then. I think I'd better get started as soon as we get back from Friday Harbor!
    - Chris

This is wonderful news Chris! So happy for you, your family - and Petrel of course! Just had a look at Google Maps with the Satellite-Image-settings, it looks so green and pretty all around this area, great decision, congrats !!!

That sounds like a great trip! The old skansie brothers boat works and the net shed by jerich (sp) park are really cool. Some of the most beautiful wooden seiners ever conceived were built in gig harbor. The Genius, the Commencement, the Avalon...wow. Great food at the Tides Tavern too.

Good chance I'll leave a day or two early and Kathy will drive to Olympia Saturday. So I'll leave Shilshole on Wednesday or Thursday. It's pretty consistently a three hour cruise down Colvos, Shilshole to Gig Harbor, at 7.5 knots. The current always runs north in Colvos but usually is a non-issue, especially that week has pretty weak tides in the afternoon. Easy for me to wait for you to come thru the locks at your leisure, still plenty of time to get to Gig Harbor. Do you know what your comfortable cruising speed is? Also getting a jump on Labor Day weekend gives us better chance of finding good anchorage room.

I'm pretty sure the one boat per category rule allows for very slow moments of transition.
    Quote Originally Posted by James McMullen View Post
    Yeadon is right, of course.

I spent Christmas in Gig Harbour with friends who live there overlooking Vashon Island (I think).
    Great place.

Lovely kayak Chris. You are moving into the right direction, away from projects and to finshed boats.
    For quick accomdation may I suggest a frame of laths covered with a cheap air bed. Just screw down some laths in the hold, cover them with an old blanket or similar (to protect the airbed from the rough surface) and use one of the cheap chinese twin airbeds from Walmart. Instant comfort except for the headroom of course and you can use your normal home bedding.

1 of 3

No Petrel progress this weekend. Entire family - myself, Tory, Dash and dog Addie - all went to Friday Harbor on San Juan Island for a long wedding anniversary weekend. For those who are not familiar with this area of the world, Friday Harbor is the largest town in the San Juan Islands, an archipelago in the very northwest corner of the contiguous states of the U.S., bounded by Canada to the North and the West. To the South the Strait of Juan de Fuca leads out to the Pacific and Puget Sound will take you to Port Townsend, Seattle and the cruising grounds of South Sound.

The San Juans, along with the Canadian Gulf Islands and the passage up the inside of Vancouver Island are widely noted as one of the best cruising grounds in the world. Someday soon we will be back to with Petrel but this time we came by car ferry.

We took the new kayak hoping to get out on the water a bit. And we did on Sunday, launching from a beach conveniently located a couple of miles out of town.

The boat was great - everything I was hoping for and more. Stable, easy to paddle and more than capable of carrying the three of us (we left Addie at an animal boarding farm for the day). But the wind picked up and was gusting 25 kts directly off the beach so, given our relative inexperience with kayaking, we elected for the path of discretion and just paddled along the shore for a bit before heading back in. Still, the day was beautiful, everyone had a good time and now we have a bit more experience than we did before.

- Chris

2 of 3

A walk of the docks in Friday Harbor is always worth doing. The schooners Dirigo II and Spike Africa operate out of the port there

And I found Stitch, a Forestry Patrol boat that I’ve not seen before. She was impeccably turned out though - bristol fashion in every detail.

But my favorite, a boat that I visit every time I come here, is the John Cuitti,

I know nothing about her but she’s been working for a living for a very long time and that’s worth a photo or two.
    - Chris

3 of 3

Finally, as we were waiting for the ferry home today, a last minute browse of a used bookstore by the dock turned up a few treasures. First, this little cruising guide by Walt Woodward:

Walt Woodward was a local writer of some note although I don’t think any of his books are still in print. He wrote a volume about his adventures cruising with his family called Big Toot, after the name he gave his various boats over the years. It’s a great read if you can find a copy. His daughter was a friend of my parents back when I was growing up so I have some small connection there as well although I never got to meet him. But the real find was this:

Yacht Designs, by William Garden. I already have a copy but this one is far nicer than mine - however that’s not why I bought it:

It’s inscribed by “Bill” (Garden) to his “old friends, the Ganns” - that being Ernest Gann, the author, sailor, pilot and adventurer, and his wife Dodi. Ernest Gann lived on San Juan Island from the 60s until he passed away in the early 90s. That’s going in my treasured books collection for sure.

Ernest Gann’s boat, Strumpet, was also for sale recently. A Jay Benford design and one of my favorites - just a wonderful boat in every respect.

(With apologies to the unknown photographer as I found this photo from a Google search and it was not attributed)

Some people might imagine that I have taken a bit of inspiration from Strumpet in how I’m finishing Petrel, and they would probably be right.
    - Chris

Congratulations with your wedding-anniversary, and thanks for posting all these nice pictures! The area up there looks absolutely stunning and there is some really nice boats too, feels good to look at them. The more so, as they are getting very rare hereabouts, plastic-fantastic taking over nearly everywhere you look.

looks like great weekend adventure. Happy Anniversary!
    Great looking boats, especially John Cuitti.
    ........how you like the seats on your kayak ?

sounds like a great weekend. and thanks for the pictures!

jim

Quote Originally Posted by Dody View Post
    Congratulations with your wedding-anniversary, and thanks for posting all these nice pictures! The area up there looks absolutely stunning and there is some really nice boats too, feels good to look at them. The more so, as they are getting very rare hereabouts, plastic-fantastic taking over nearly everywhere you look.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2dogsnight View Post
    looks like great weekend adventure. Happy Anniversary!
    Great looking boats, especially John Cuitti.
    ........how you like the seats on your kayak ?
    Quote Originally Posted by MADOC1 View Post
    sounds like a great weekend. and thanks for the pictures!

jim
    Thanks everyone. Dody, I have to confess that I aimed my camera strategically to avoid the masses of fiberglass boats in the marina but it's true that this area is home to many beautiful wooden boats.

Wojo, the seats are... ok. They are pretty and comfortable enough but I don't think they will hold up to use very well. My seat was making some ominous cracking noises when I moved around. So that's something to deal with at some point. Not right away though. It's time to get back to work on Petrel. I'm heading down there in a bit to start in on the cabin sole project, which is first on my list of things to do to prep for our upcoming cruise. After that I'll be working on sleeping arrangements. I've gone 'round and 'round between some sort of slat arrangement as Rumars suggested, or just going ahead and building the v-berth according to my layout plan and various other schemes but right now I'm thinking root berths port and starboard for the adults, like this:

(Photo originally from the Unlikely Boat Builder)
    - Chris

Looks like a great trip Chris! Congratulations on the anniversary.
    -Jim

Sucker for a pretty face.
    1934 27' Blanchard Cuiser ~ Amazon, Ex. Emalu
    19'6" Caledonia Yawl ~ Sparrow

Getting into trouble one board at a time.

Congratulations, and it is great to see you have been fitting in some good "enjoyment time".

Chris, you were asking about sewing in Ron II's thread. I don't like to interfere with his thread but as this is your thread and your question, I think it's more appropriate here.

First you need the foam. You can cut it to shape with a bread-knife, an electrical one works even better.

Once you've got the shape right get yourself some clear plastic to lay on the foam and draw around the shape - you can also stick newspaper together to make the template, it's cheaper, but I find it more complicated. However, do this for both sides of the foam as you'll probably have some angles and the sides will be different.

Cut out the plastic maybe 0.5 cm shorter than your marks (you want the cloth stretched nicely, not with heaps of wrinkles later).

Now have a good look at your canvas. Often both sides look different, there is an outside the one you want to look at later, and an inside. You want to mark on the inside of the cloth so you can see where your stitches have to go. Roll out your canvas and draw around your template. This is the line where you will be sewing.

Draw out another line, maybe 1.5 - 2 cm further out. This will be the line where you will be cutting the cloth and it should be wide enough so your seams won't pop open with use later.

When you've cut out the top and the bottom-piece, the only thing that's missing to start sewing is the canvas for the sides. You know the thickness of the foam. Take 0.5 cm off in total width for the sewing line, but cutting, again, would be 1.5 - 2 cm away from this line on both sides. Wherever there are real angles, you will need more canvas, so it has to be wider there! And if it's a lot of angle and difference in width, you might even have to fold and sew the cloth making a "dart" to keep away from wrinkles.

Start with the top- and side-piece. Lay the pieces together - so that the inside of your cover is visible on both sides - and try your best to get the sewing-line to match. Take pins to hold it in place for the sewing.

Now the hard bit is done and actual sewing starts.

Once you've got the top and the side sewn together, and before sewing the bottom-piece to it, you should install the zip (unless you have something else in mind to close it). Best would be a zip that runs the whole length of the side facing outwards, so you don't see it and have no problem to take the cover off for washing.

Sew the zip in on both sides.

The only thing left now is to sew the bottom-piece to the rest. You've got to watch out to get the corners to match.

Happy sewing!!!!

Edit: to get the foam in, you'll have to give it a bit of a curve, stick it in the cover and then pull the canvas a bit in place at the edges. It will feel a bit tight, but once you've got it all wriggled out it'll be perfect.
    Last edited by Dody; 08-16-2017 at 09:45 PM.

Dody thanks for the post above, and for dropping it in a thread I'm following. Nothing to it Chris! / Jim

Thanks Dody! I guess I just need to try it and see how I go. And thanks Jim - nothing to it? We'll see!
    - Chris

I have one to do also, stbd bunk forward; go to sleeper when I'm singlehanded. Will be a winter project for me, hence my interest, but I'll probably hire out the sewing part. Easier on my challenged eyes and I've signed up to the trickle away plan regarding my boat maintenance. Good luck with it!

Couple of supported cross-spalls and a sheet of ply would carry a double mattress, and you will appreciate the function of the big day-bed. All re-usable later. Just sayin.... / Jim

If you are ok with pipe cots then all you need to do is buy two folding camping cots. Fix them open and hang them in the boat like in that picture. Instant pipe berts, no sewing required.

For a more permanent solution there is the slatted bed base from Ikea. Buy one, cut to shape of V-berth, install. Repeat with mattress, cover raw edges with duct tape.

If you want to sleep well on a sheet of plywood invest in some plastic springs, but that is probably for another day.

If you are ok with pipe cots then all you need to do is buy two folding camping cots. Fix them open and hang them in the boat like in that picture. Instant pipe berts, no sewing required.
    Hmmm - that's a good idea. I had thought of camping cots but they wouldn't fit on the cabin sole if set up as intended. I didn't consider hanging them though - that could work perfectly. One of my thoughts with the custom root berth/pipe cot was that I could cut the canvas at an angle to fit them farther forward, but really that's not a requirement for now. And even if the forward ends of the cots have to overlap a bit to make it work in the space that's probably fine.

I thought of building a slatted base (Ikea or otherwise) and that could work as well, but I don't know that it's much less effort than just building the permanent v-berth that I want eventually. Off-the-shelf cots will save a lot of time though and I have a lot to do in the next couple of weeks so that's my plan now. Thanks Rumars!
    - Chris

Just remeber to fix them open so they don't fold on you. Some cots are open ended some have a closed frame. And buy some pipe fixing straps to tie them to a bulkhead or frame or else they will swing and bang around. Actually if you buy enough pipe straps all you need to do is cut 3 legs out of some 2x4 (2 at the ends and one in the middle where they cross) and the V berth is done.
    For the kid I would suggest a big bean bag on the floorboards. I would have sugested ones for you to (they make adult size ones big enough for sleeping) but I suppose you don't want to sleep in the bilge. The bean bag you can then take home and use as a chair. That is if you can pry the kid out of it.

Well, all good advice but all thoughts of sleeping arrangements will have to wait a bit as there is still work to do on the cabin sole. Made some progress this week. I reinstalled the last of the original support beams that I removed last winter, then this afternoon I cut and fit a cleat to replace the one I removed due to rot.

I didn't have any screws long enough to fasten it in though, so that's a project for this weekend. Once that's done I can lay down some plywood for the sole and we will have a place to walk again.

And so that everyone doesn't think it's all work and no play on Petrel, I set up a patio umbrella as a temporary awning so we can enjoy sitting on the aft deck occasionally.

The umbrella was $40 on craigslist. I used a piece of galvanized pipe and a deck flange to support the pole.

It's not very nautical and once I have the mast restored and stepped again I'll replace the umbrella with a boom awning. But in the meantime it creates some shade and makes the deck a bit nicer place to sit.
    - Chris

Quote Originally Posted by cstevens View Post
    Well, all good advice but all thoughts of sleeping arrangements will have to wait a bit as there is still work to do on the cabin sole. Made some progress this week. I reinstalled the last of the original support beams that I removed last winter, then this afternoon I cut and fit a cleat to replace the one I removed due to rot.

I didn't have any screws long enough to fasten it in though, so that's a project for this weekend. Once that's done I can lay down some plywood for the sole and we will have a place to walk again.
    Hmm, something is not square. But that's old boats for you.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Quote Originally Posted by Peerie Maa View Post
    Hmm, something is not square. But that's old boats for you.
    True

Last edited by cstevens; 08-18-2017 at 10:35 AM.
    - Chris

Enjoying watching you work, good to see someone hard at it 😀

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
    My First Boat Build:
    http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...acgregor-Canoe
    Iain Oughtred - Macgregor Canoe - 15 foot

Chris I seem to remember you might be interested in one of these for Petrel. New listing on Craigslist.

https://comoxvalley.craigslist.ca/bp...239938688.html

Quote Originally Posted by simonmags View Post
    Enjoying watching you work, good to see someone hard at it 
    Thanks Simon!

Quote Originally Posted by chas View Post
    Chris I seem to remember you might be interested in one of these for Petrel. New listing on Craigslist.

https://comoxvalley.craigslist.ca/bp...239938688.html
    Ah, yes I'd love to put a Gardner in Petrel but sadly there is no way one would fit. Too tall. They are several inches taller than the 3-53 I have now, and that engine is shoehorned in as it is. And I can't raise the cabin sole much as there is just enough headroom in the pilothouse now. Someone suggested cutting a hole in the top of the pilothouse a while back but that seems a bit extreme...
    - Chris

More work on the cabin sole today. First I picked up the fasteners I needed at Tacoma Screw. #12 x 4" galvanized wood screws. I've been trying to use galvanized for structural fastening although I suspect there is no reason not to use bronze other than the cost difference, which is negligible for a little project like this. But here's an interesting comparison:

The darker screw was in a box of miscellaneous hardware that I got with the boat and I suspect it dates from when the hull was refastened, which makes it somewhere around 30 years old. The bottom screw is one that I bought this morning. The two could not be more different. Every detail of the older screw is finer quality than the new one. Thread profile, head shape, slot profile... everything. I suspect that the one I got today will be fine for non-critical work but I sure wouldn't put one into the hull. I'd love to find someone still making screws of the same quality as the older one. Admiral Ship Supply in Port Townsend stocks galvanized wood screws but I don't know if they are any better. I'll have to make a trip up there sometime soon and have a look at what they carry.

In any case I got the cleat for the aft end of the cabin sole fastened in.

I need to reroute the hoses for the bilge pumps but otherwise this part of the project is done. Then I "installed" my first section of the sole. Really just laid down a handy piece of plywood that I had laying around.

That panel was salvaged out of Perihelion so that boat lives on in Petrel a little bit. There are a few other bits and pieces of Perihelion in Petrel as well.

Finally I picked up a sheet of 12mm meranti plywood for the rest of the sole and will work on getting it finished tomorrow. Labor Day Weekend is coming up quickly though... I'd better pick up the pace a bit!
    - Chris

Nice job, you're getting there Chris!

Only wondering ... do you think it's a good idea to have the connector-block of the wiring for the bilge-pumps so low down in the bilge? If for some reason the water should rise over the "normal" level it could cause some mischief.

Funny you're saying this about pieces of Perihelion living on in Petrel! When I chucked Tonga's interior out quite some people went through my heap of scrap on the lookout for pieces they could re-use on their boats and showed me later with pride that some part of Tonga lives on in their boats. And I on the other hand, have some big lumps of broken timber from Atyla, for which I will find something on Tonga. I was nearly lucky. There was a fishing-boat (Fruta da União) which got hit by an unlit sailing-boat at night when hauling in their nets. The sailing-boat vanished from the scene, the fishing-boat with a big hole and making lots of water limped into Nazaré and got completely re-build by Albertino, the shipwright who has been working on Tonga's stern. We needed a piece of oak for the backbone and Tonga nearly got a piece from Fruta da União but unfortunately it was too short. I love that!