Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 12312 ... LastLast

Thread: Restoration of BC Salmon Troller "Petrel"

Default Re: Restoration of BC Salmon Troller "Petrel"

Lovely seeing an old fishing vessel receiving some much required TLC.

Some of those older vessels where also involved in the Sea Urchin Abalone and Geoduck fisheries in around Northern Vancouver Island and beyond, using sometimes very primitive Hookah systems . One common feature of these vessels would be additional bunks or sleeping quarters for up to 4 crew members.

Quote Originally Posted by cstevens View Post
    I do have a question about PNW fishing boat design: Can you provide any insight into the raised deck vs. trunk cabin styles? Petrel vs. Early Spring for example. Is it just a size variation (larger boats typically have the raised deck, although not always?) A regional difference? Or specific to the builder?
    No need for apologies Chris, I detected no prickliness...

I think the flush foredeck or raised deck boats have their roots in the Halibut fleet out of Prince Rupert. These boats were built by men of Scandinavian heritage but also Japanese. Most builders did whatever the client required, and built a variety of house styles. The trunk cabin boats come from Japanese built gillnetters first built on the Fraser River. The earliest trunk cabin gillnetters had a vestigial or no pilothouse at all. In very general terms the flush or raised deck is an older style, more modern boats having bigger pilothouses with the galley on deck.

The smaller boat often were never registered and never received a O.N. (Offical Number) carved into a main beam, along with gross and net tonnage measurements. The small boats would just be licensed and display a 13K number. Registration of the vessel only happened if she was mortgaged.
    Last edited by TR; 07-26-2016 at 07:39 PM.
    http://www.tadroberts.ca
    http://blog.tadroberts.ca/
    http://www.passagemakerlite.com

Quote Originally Posted by TR View Post
    The smaller boat often were never registered and never received a O.N. (Offical Number) carved into a main beam, along with gross and net tonnage measurements. The small boats would just be licensed and display a 13K number. Registration of the vessel only happened if she was mortgaged.
    Ah. That makes sense and would explain why I haven't found any permanent numbers on the boat. I'll have to keep digging through what other avenues I have. I am in touch with the family of the man who originally converted her from a fishing boat and I'm hoping they may have some more information but so far I haven't gotten much of a response.

And thanks for the explanation of trunk cabin vs. flush deck boats. I assume you are familiar with the "history of the lobster boat" poster available from the Maine Maritime Museum, among other sources? It would be great to have one for the PNW boats. If you ever felt the urge to do something similar I'd buy one. Actually, I'd buy ten!
    - Chris

https://fvpetrel.wordpress.com

Life is short. Go boating now!

Made a little progress on the pilothouse paint scraping this afternoon. One more window down, only five more to go...

While I'm slogging through this project I'm also thinking about the things I'd rather be doing on Petrel. Top of the list are railings for the aft deck. Son Dash has been asking me when we can take the boat out and I told him that we needed a railing first for safety. He's visiting his Nana this week but he made me promise to install railings so we can take Petrel out when he gets back. Can't disappoint him so I'm thinking some iron pipe and fittings will do the trick for a quick and dirty handrail.
    - Chris

More progress stripping the pilothouse. A little more than half-done now:

Slow going I know. Somehow it's taking me about an hour per window. It doesn't seem like it should take that long but there you are.

But I took a break from scraping paint today to make a start on the railing project. I'm using black pipe for the railing as I want to paint it and galvanized is reportedly impossible, or at least very difficult, to paint. Had to go to three different hardware stores to locate all the parts. I probably could have picked everything up in one trip to Home Depot but then I'd have had to go to Home Depot...

Railing pieces laid out in approximate position in the shop:

The railing is about 19" high, which will provide a decent hand hold and a barrier to keep errant children aboard. I'll run a cable at mid-height as well but first a bit of fitting to do. The problem with all those neat industrial/steampunk steel pipe projects on Pinterest is that they always leave the pipe threads showing. Like this:

Not so pretty. Petrel may only be an old fish boat but we can do better by her than that. So I picked up a 3/4" NPT tap along with the pipe. A little cutting fluid, a VERY long breaker bar and a bit of muscle later we have:

And

Much nicer. Only 35 more of these to go...

And for those whose interests may stray beyond boats, here's a shot of my other distraction:

1949 Studebaker Pickup "Lucky". In the shop for a new fuel pump and maybe a new fuel tank and carburetor rebuild. When I have the time that is. Too many projects! A friend is trying to talk me into picking up a little Poulsbo Boat that's currently on craigslist, and a little Farymann diesel to go with it, also on CL right now. Must resist temptation. But if anyone wants a really great little project these two would go really well together.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/boa/5687839324.html
    http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/bpo/5703609138.html

(No connection to either ad, other than someone needs to buy them before I lose my resolve not to).
    Last edited by cstevens; 07-30-2016 at 10:09 PM.
    - Chris

The Poulsbo looks great! Hope it gets a good home.

I would think it would be better with the gas engine.

Quote Originally Posted by pcford View Post
    The Poulsbo looks great! Hope it gets a good home.

I would think it would be better with the gas engine.
    Ok, I'll bite - why better with gas? I'll admit that I have absolutely no rational reason for wanting to put a diesel engine in a Poulsbo Boat other than when I think about it my inner 12-year-old says "cool!" but then isn't that the ultimate motivation for most things? I guess the gas motor is probably lighter and simpler, being air cooled. But 20hp seems like a lot for a 18' displacement hull. The ad for the Farymann doesn't list HP but I'm assuming it's somewhere around 10hp based on other similar engines I can find.

I was envisioning a slow putt-putt around the harbor, tiller in hand (it would need a tiller), cap poised jauntily, wife, dog and kid aboard looking out for fish, sea otters and other sights... See this is how I talk myself into taking on new projects. Must focus.
    - Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Portland View Post
    You have lost me a bit there , I assume you mean Molle B.
    Could you please elaborate , why would she be better with a petrol engine?.
    Regards Rob J.
    Sorry Rob, I switched gears on you there. See the end of my earlier post about the railings. There's now a Poulsbo Boat in the mix.
    - Chris

Molle B is an interesting boat. She looks very original to me. Like they just pulled out the gillnet drum and left it that way. You would never want to cut her up and convert her to a cruiser with an aft cabin or other major modifications. She's too nice for that the way she is now. So she's always going to be a bit spartan. A boat for one person or a couple who like to fish and who don't mind the cramped quarters. I think that's one thing affecting the price (a question posted earlier). Also that old fishing boats are just not valued the same way that classic yachts are. The gas engine is probably also a factor but even with a diesel conversion I don't think she would sell for that much more. Just not that many people looking for old gillnetters and trollers.

Right now on craigslist there is a nice looking - well, except for the forward-raked pilothouse windows - 33' "Sagstad Trawler" (I'd guess an ex-gillnetter) with a Deere diesel listed for around $15k. "Full Moon" recently sold for around $12k I think. "Early Spring" was listed for around that much as well if I recall. Those are both diesel boats. And there is a really pretty converted Bristol Bay boat with an Isuzu diesel listed for $5k. It really is too bad that I can't buy them all.... But the point is that a diesel conversion makes no sense economically. No matter what it costs to run the Crown I doubt you'd ever make back the conversion cost in fuel savings either.

So the gas/diesel question comes down to personal preference and aesthetics. And there I would say diesel. No rational reason at all. I just like diesel engines in slow boats. And to compound the irrationality of it all I would want the Gardner. Or if the 6LW is too big maybe a 3LW or 4LW. A nice little 60hp Beta would probably be the better choice for every possible reason but I challenge anyone with a mechanical soul to watch this video <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8E4u2TSE7E> and not daydream about listening to that motor chuff quietly on a slow passage up Trincomali Channel.
    - Chris

P.S. On the question of raw water cooling for the Farymann in the Poulsbo Boat. I'd put in a keel cooler. Because if we are going to go to all the trouble to yard out a perfectly good (I'm assuming) motor just to put in something different why not go all the way? Sure, a little utility boat with a keel-cooled diesel is a bit over the top but we only do this for fun so we can do whatever we want right?
    - Chris

No progress on Petrel today. Instead I remembered that the point of all the working on boats is to actually go boating. So I did.

In the Fremont Cut

Lake Union

That's friend Reggie S. at the helm. He came over from Vashon for the trip. We toured Lake Union, Portage Bay and Salmon Bay. Nice way to spend the morning!
    - Chris

An update on the question of whether Petrel was originally a troller or a gillnetter: The son of the Norman Kinyon, the man who converted her from a fishing boat to pleasure use, says in email that she was rigged for trolling. I'm still trying to get any photos of Petrel from her fishing days but so far no luck.

Progress is slow right now. I cracked a rib last weekend trying to lift my 45lb dog Addie off the deck of Petrel and into an inflatable dinghy. (And yes, it was exactly as stupid as it sounds. To her credit Addie was dubious about the entire project from the start). So crawling around on deck with a scraper and heat gun is out for a little bit at least. That just leaves more time for planning new projects though. Like a new outside helm to starboard of the pilothouse door, a new design for the dry stack and engine room soundproofing based on what we have learned from Ron's experience on Snoose, a folding seat for the pilothouse... All fun but still have to scrape a lot of paint before I can start on building anything!
    - Chris

Do you have hydraulic steering?

I do in fact! Which makes things a little easier in setting up a second station. My biggest challenge is actually finding an appropriate and appropriately-sized steering wheel. The maximum diameter that will fit is 16". But Hamilton Marine has a bronze wheel that size.

(https://shop.hamiltonmarine.com/prod...ore-44800.html) so that's probably what I'll end up with.
    - Chris

Good. With hydraulic steering you can easily add an autopilot if you don't have one already. Believe me, you'll love it. Also maybe try Seattle Marine over on Commodore Way for helm wheels. And the have a lot of hydraulic steering things.

Chris, when I started my research into Pescawa's past, I visited the Vancouver Maritime Museum in Vancouver at Vanier Park. A lot of vessels that were registered as commercial boats have history located here. Make an appointment with them and they can help tremendously with your research. At least it's worth a phone call. Also, there are two Facebook pages worth mentioning here. First, "West Coast Fisherman". You'll end up talking with Alan Haig - Brown, a maritime historian. He is a wonderful source. Lastly is another Facebook page; "West Coast Fishing Boats". Another great source. Enjoy your journey.

I just happen to notice that the
    Maritime Museum of BC in Victoria has plans for a "Petrel".

I just read through your blog and thoroughly enjoyed it. Your descriptions of your first inspection aboard could have matched mine on the old Carlyle! I ended up sealing the fridge with duct tape and hauling it off the boat - it was full of food including what I guessed was meat and eggs from 2009. There were mushrooms growing everywhere and swallow's nests inside the salon. But like your Petrel there was something underneath all that mold...

If you have bleeders staining your hull, a lot of guys down here grind the head of the fastener until it's shiny and then fill and fair the depression with Duraglass, which is available at most NAPA stores. The duraglass holds up well, some of the better looking boats in the fleet have used it for over a dozen years.

Petrel certainly has lovely lines and a good looking stern. I'[m looking forward to following your progress and adventures. She was well worth saving - Cheers

Chris

www.restoringthecarlyle3.com
    M/V Carlyle III
    50' 1930 Menchions Shipyard

Thanks for sharing. Love these old fishermen. I think of the Northeast double-enders as trollers as well. If I ever go power-boat, I would love to have one converted to cruising.
    Chuck Thompson

Dave, many thanks for the links to the Facebook sites! I was familiar with Alan Haig-Brown's web site but not the Facebook page. And good tip on the various maritime museum collections. I'll check them out as well. I'm pretty sure that Petrel was renamed when she was converted to pleasure use though. She was reportedly named "Relic" before that, but that can't have been her first name as it's a reference to The Beachcombers, a Canadian TV series that didn't air prior to 1972.

Ron - good point about autopilot. I have been imagining that I would keep the technology to a minimum aboard Petrel since I swim in tech in my day job. Boats are supposed to be an antidote for it. And I've never had autopilot but I do see the advantages... In any case it's a decision that I won't have to make for a very long time given the list of projects ahead of any nav systems more sophisticated than a good compass.

Chris, I'm glad you enjoyed the blog. And likewise on your blog about Carlyle III. Great stuff and a great boat. I'm particularly inspired by your post on planking. I like the "dive in and get it done" approach and based on your experience I may try doing the work myself when I start in on the hull repairs.

Everyone else, thanks for all the comments and info. Please keep it coming!
    - Chris

Funny. There is a Petrol double-ender in Oregon for sale. At first I thought it was your boat but comparing them obviously it is not. She's a pretty thing as well.

Chuck Thompson

Yes, that Petrel is a beautiful boat. Much larger than my Petrel though.
    - Chris

More progress stripping the pilothouse. A little more than half-done now:

Slow going I know. Somehow it's taking me about an hour per window. It doesn't seem like it should take that long but there you are.

But I took a break from scraping paint today to make a start on the railing project. I'm using black pipe for the railing as I want to paint it and galvanized is reportedly impossible, or at least very difficult, to paint. Had to go to three different hardware stores to locate all the parts. I probably could have picked everything up in one trip to Home Depot but then I'd have had to go to Home Depot...

Railing pieces laid out in approximate position in the shop:

The railing is about 19" high, which will provide a decent hand hold and a barrier to keep errant children aboard. I'll run a cable at mid-height as well but first a bit of fitting to do. The problem with all those neat industrial/steampunk steel pipe projects on Pinterest is that they always leave the pipe threads showing. Like this:

Not so pretty. Petrel may only be an old fish boat but we can do better by her than that. So I picked up a 3/4" NPT tap along with the pipe. A little cutting fluid, a VERY long breaker bar and a bit of muscle later we have:

And

Much nicer. Only 35 more of these to go...

And for those whose interests may stray beyond boats, here's a shot of my other distraction:

1949 Studebaker Pickup "Lucky". In the shop for a new fuel pump and maybe a new fuel tank and carburetor rebuild. When I have the time that is. Too many projects! A friend is trying to talk me into picking up a little Poulsbo Boat that's currently on craigslist, and a little Farymann diesel to go with it, also on CL right now. Must resist temptation. But if anyone wants a really great little project these two would go really well together.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/boa/5687839324.html
    http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/bpo/5703609138.html

(No connection to either ad, other than someone needs to buy them before I lose my resolve not to).

Painting galvanized surfaces http://www.galvanizeit.org/specifica...-hdg-for-paint

Re: painting galvanized steel. I've seen a few articles on doing it with mixed results. That one is apparently aimed at large construction contractors though. I'll note the following recommendations for example:

If hot-dip galvanized steel is going to be painted, communication between the fabricator, specifier, painter, and galvanizer is vital before galvanizing.
    and

Although some passivation-quenched galvanized surfaces have a duller, matte gray finish, it can be difficult to visually detect whether passivation products have been used. If there is uncertainty regarding whether the steel was quenched, the galvanized surface needs to be tested for the presence of passivation agents. This testing is fairly clear-cut and is described in ASTM B201.
    Not really the level of effort that I want for this project! The painted iron railing may simply rust out after a few years but then I'll just replace it. Or go with bronze next time...

Chuck and Rob, I think I'm going to forever live in the shadow of that "other Petrel". She's such a beautiful boat and somewhat well known since she has appeared in a number of places (including this forum at times). Sigh. But I'm perfectly content with my own Petrel and some day I hope she will be in similar condition. Miles to go before then though.
    - Chris

Was that a Saab 96 front end in the background?

Oh, ya sure ya betcha. My shop is in Ballard, Seattle, WA, the West Coast spiritual home of all things Scandinavian, so old Saabs and Volvos are mandatory. I have a couple of 1968 Saab 96s. One really pretty but with completely rusted out floors and one solid but very shabby driver. I keep meaning to make one decent car between the two. Some day.
    - Chris

Re: painting galvanized steel. I've seen a few articles on doing it with mixed results. That one is apparently aimed at large construction contractors though. I'll note the following recommendations for example:

and

Not really the level of effort that I want for this project! The painted iron railing may simply rust out after a few years but then I'll just replace it. Or go with bronze next time...

Chuck and Rob, I think I'm going to forever live in the shadow of that "other Petrel". She's such a beautiful boat and somewhat well known since she has appeared in a number of places (including this forum at times). Sigh. But I'm perfectly content with my own Petrel and some day I hope she will be in similar condition. Miles to go before then though.
    Just clean then use an etch or wash primer before painting. The result will be better than painting black steel with little extra cost. Stainless should be cheaper than bronze if replacing.
    Last edited by dinoa; 08-06-2016 at 06:10 AM.

I was just reminded on my Perihelion thread to not neglect Petrel so a quick update here: Work is a little stalled right now waiting for my rib to heal (see above for details - I cracked a rib trying to lift my dog into the dinghy a few days ago). That's one reason for starting the thread on Perihelion. It gives me something boat-related to do. It may be a few more days before I'm able to make much progress on Petrel but no fear - I expect to be back at work soon and will post more updates as soon as I can.
    - Chris

Sorry Chris, forgot about the rib! Didn't mean to be pushing you about this thread, just that I have a soft spot for these little double-Enders. I was recently in Sointula on Malcolm Island, which is a magical spot if you like old boat shops and marine railways. I have some pics yet to be uploaded that you might be interested in.
    Good luck with the healing; I've broken ribs a couple of times now. Not pleasant. / Jim

Quote Originally Posted by chas View Post
    Sorry Chris, forgot about the rib! Didn't mean to be pushing you about this thread, just that I have a soft spot for these little double-Enders. I was recently in Sointula on Malcolm Island, which is a magical spot if you like old boat shops and marine railways. I have some pics yet to be uploaded that you might be interested in.
    Good luck with the healing; I've broken ribs a couple of times now. Not pleasant. / Jim

Thanks Jim. Yes, I'd love to see photos of Sointula. I've never been although I would very much like to. Nanaimo is the farthest North I've been on Vancouver Island. Please post!
    - Chris

Wow....what a boat!
    The hull shape and proportions look just right to my eyes. Take good care of her....and please don't let yourself be sidetracked by another boat now when you have found this perfect beauty.
    Amateur living on the western coast of Finland

Quote Originally Posted by heimlaga View Post
    Wow....what a boat!
    The hull shape and proportions look just right to my eyes. Take good care of her....and please don't let yourself be sidetracked by another boat now when you have found this perfect beauty.
    I'm going to assume from this description that you are referring to the "Oregon" Petrel in the photo above, which is lovely but is not my boat. I do think that my Petrel is perfectly proportioned but I don't think anyone would describe her as a "perfect beauty" at this point! But I'll take the compliment in any case, and thank you.

Just got back from a weekend in Friday Harbor on San Juan Island. Perfect weather and the entire family had fun in this great little town. Only way it could have been better is if we had made the trip in Petrel rather than by car and ferry. Next year... So back to work on the boat.
    - Chris

I do not envy you the task of getting all those pipe fittings both tight enough, and pointing in the right directions. I once did an unofficial plumbing project running gas lines to supply a dryer and a water heater. Measured everything more than once. I even put it together in the hardware store, and compared measurements. Looked great. In the process of getting everything leak free, and pointed in the right direction, I lost a quarter inch. Local store was closed at that point. Drove 45 minutes to one that stayed open an hour later. Just made it in the door, and had them cut nipples in three different lengths. Finally got it together and sealed, and a hard cider in my hands.

Some progress this week - finished stripping the pilothouse around the windows:

I had originally planned on stopping there to paint before moving on to the rest of the cabin sides but I'm rapidly running out of summer so I think I need to press on with the rest of the stripping so I can paint it all in one session. I don't want to go another winter with the paint in its current condition. Next step is to remove the anchor winch. It needs to come out so I can have a look at the deck underneath in any case, and it will be easier to access the forward cabin face without the winch housing in the way.

Looking forward to my winter project, I am planning to rebuild the pilothouse interior starting with the forward bulkhead. The existing one has been cut into so may times for various modifications in the past that it's not salvageable:

I'm going to bring the new bulkhead all the way down and tie it into the floors and hull, with an access panel ahead of the engine. However there is a challenge. This rusty mess is the front of the Detroit 3-53 along with the engine beds and keel cooler pipes:

The new bulkhead would drop down just in front of the floor between the forward engine mounts. To do that cleanly I need to reroute the coolant lines (easy enough), replace the four-row crank pulley with a two-row version (ditto) and cut back the steel engine stringers. Which isn't difficult but I'm not sure whether losing the connection to the forward-most engine bed floor will be a problem.

Judging from the cutout in the forward-most floor in the photo, Petrel originally had a much larger engine. Probably something like a Chrysler Crown. So the last floor might not be needed to support the smaller 3-53. And the full bulkhead will add some strength to the whole structure (although not as much as I'd like since I need an access panel at the front of the engine and the companionway to starboard prevents it from tying into that side of the floor at all.) On the other hand, the floors that are tied into those steel plates are what transfer the power of the engine to the hull. There are four of them so I would be removing 25% of the strength of that connection...

So, any opinions on the wisdom of cutting down the stringers here? Eventually I want to pull it all out, clean up the engine and build a proper support with wooden beds but that's a ways down the road.
    - Chris

All I can say is wow. I am amazed at the amount of work you are doing on her. That's a lucky boat to have you in charge. Regarding that four slot pulley, you sure you don't want to keep it to run a big pump or compressor or something? Sure could make a helluva anchor chain wash down pump.