Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 91819

Thread: Restoration of BC Salmon Troller "Petrel"

Default Re: Restoration of BC Salmon Troller "Petrel"

I've never understood the Molle B thing either. Joe Bakatun was (retired) one of the best shipwrights in Seattle and this was his personal boat. Yet it has been sold several times recently (twice by Joe after getting it back from a buyer). It's a bit spartan in accommodations but it wouldn't take much to fix that. And as far as I know she is structurally quite sound. I don't get it, I just don't get it.

(BTW Chris, those pictures have to be a few years old as evidenced by Wawona in the background. )

Quote Originally Posted by ron ll View Post
    I've never understood the Molle B thing either. Joe Bakatun was (retired) one of the best shipwrights in Seattle and this was his personal boat. Yet it has been sold several times recently (twice by Joe after getting it back from a buyer). It's a bit spartan in accommodations but it wouldn't take much to fix that. And as far as I know she is structurally quite sound. I don't get it, I just don't get it.

(BTW Chris, those pictures have to be a few years old as evidenced by Wawona in the background. )
    Yes, good eye! I had that thought about Wawona when I was posting them. Another fixture of my childhood gone. So it goes. As for Molle B, I've only seen her from the dock and the photos aren't clear but my guess is that she has no head and that it would be tough to add one. Not impossible maybe, but it would require a certain amount of vision and commitment. That probably makes her a boat for a retired fisherman. A *single* retired fisherman at that. Which leaves out families with kids, retirees looking for that Desolation Sound cruiser, etc.

I can imagine things you could do to her to make her more accommodating but you would have to sacrifice her originality. So perhaps the best place for her would be in the Northwest Seaport collection. I'd love to see her down at the CWB docks. Or if she was built in B.C. then maybe in the Vancouver Maritime Museum.

Might be time to pass the hat and raise some money to buy her and donate her...

Quote Originally Posted by cstevens View Post
    In a word, no. It was a colossal failure. I have burned the negatives. I will not describe in detail the various ways in which my attempts fell short of adequate, but let me just say it was a disaster from start to finish. I think the biggest problem was that I couldn’t drill a clean enough hole to get a solder-fit using twist bits. I have a unibit I can try, but that’s for another day.
    Rip off a length of shop rag a bit wider than the hole and fold it over to 3-4 layers, drill a pilot hole and then put your folded fabric between the metal and the full size drill bit and drill slowly.

By the magic invested in me by my LPBC the hole will now be round.
    Dunno exactly why this works, but i does!
    My shop teacher showed me this back in 8th grade.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeadon View Post
    Probably the greatest thread in the history of the WoodenBoat Forum.
    Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Gibbs View Post
    Probably the greatest post in the history of the WoodenBoat Forum.
    -~: Roughshod Riding Rabble Rousing Rebel :~-
    Peer of The Most Ancient and Noble Order of the Lauging Polar Bear

Thoughts on recent posts here: 1) I have a "Temporarily Permanent" standard for repairs.i.e. It has to be done well enough to be a permanent fix if I don't get bsck to it, but the solution may be temporary relative to my long term goals or my ideal way of doing it. 2)Mollie B: I passed on her and another similar boat because I don't want a gas engine in a wooden boat due to the the heavier than air nature of the fuel. Same goes for propane. I know, she's made it this long with the correct period engine. 3) I was going to go check out Ona, but have a conflicting meeting at the same time as the auction. Her wheelhouse is more squared of the I prefer, but good looking hull. 4) tapered vs straight thread seal. The tapered threads seal on the edge of the "wedged" threads. On straight threads the seal occurs between the end of the nipple and the face of the cap via a gasket or "O" ring. Either type will work if properly sealed.

Rip off a length of shop rag a bit wider than the hole and fold it over to 3-4 layers, drill a pilot hole and then put your folded fabric between the metal and the full size drill bit and drill slowly.

By the magic invested in me by my LPBC the hole will now be round.
    Dunno exactly why this works, but i does!
    My shop teacher showed me this back in 8th grade.
    Thanks Ryden. That makes sense since the problem I ran into was that the drill bit tended to dig in and take out big chunks rather than making a smooth hole. I'd guess that the cloth prevents that from happening by limiting the depth of the cut. Right now my plan is to just use fender washers and forego the faceplate just to keep going on the project, but I am going to try out the various suggestions for drilling, brazing, etc. that people have posted just to brush up on my metal working skills here. I'll report back on success of failure as the case may be.

Thoughts on recent posts here: 1) I have a "Temporarily Permanent" standard for repairs.i.e. It has to be done well enough to be a permanent fix if I don't get bsck to it, but the solution may be temporary relative to my long term goals or my ideal way of doing it. 2)Mollie B: I passed on her and another similar boat because I don't want a gas engine in a wooden boat due to the the heavier than air nature of the fuel. Same goes for propane. I know, she's made it this long with the correct period engine. 3) I was going to go check out Ona, but have a conflicting meeting at the same time as the auction. Her wheelhouse is more squared of the I prefer, but good looking hull. 4) tapered vs straight thread seal. The tapered threads seal on the edge of the "wedged" threads. On straight threads the seal occurs between the end of the nipple and the face of the cap via a gasket or "O" ring. Either type will work if properly sealed.
    Psuggmog, regarding "temporary permanent" - I'm familiar with that standard I think that's what I'm going for with my "one year" fixes, although I'm trying not to let them become permanent. And I sent you a message in FB about Ona.

So I was at the hardware store buying varnish and brushes, when for some reason I thought of you Chris.

You're welcome.
    -Jim

Sucker for a pretty face.
    1934 27' Blanchard Cuiser ~ Amazon, Ex. Emalu
    19'6" Caledonia Yawl ~ Sparrow

Getting into trouble one board at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by jsjpd1 View Post
    Ten thousand dollars gets you a turn key good looking boat these days.

http://www.pacificboatbrokers.com/classified/
    Looks like you could buy that, rename her Petrel and get out on the water with the wife and kids next weekend....Don't tell me you're not just a little bit tempted....

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Looks like you could buy that, rename her Petrel and get out on the water with the wife and kids next weekend....Don't tell me you're not just a little bit tempted....
    Funny, but I'm really not tempted for a bunch of reasons. Loyalty to the boat I have for one thing, but equally that I want a boat that I can turn into a family cruiser. I aim to respect the aesthetics and purpose of Petrel with any changes that I make (no huge aft cabin for example) but Petrel has been modified enough already that I don't feel bad about gutting and rebuilding the interior, adding a head, installing berths in the fish hold, etc. I would feel immensely guilty about doing any of those things to Molle B. There aren't that many unmolested boats out there any more.

Jim that's perfect! The very thing for the quick and dirty fix. And pretty much what I spent half of Sunday scraping up. I think I'll stick to my plan of doing it right though

I hear you, Chris. Nothing wrong with wanting to do it right the first time. The only argument I have for going quick and dirty here is because you already have a long list of pulled apart stuff, without branching out into a deck project too. I'd bet a dollar that the deck beam under that mast step is gone too. Mine were we're the cockpit deck had gone bad. So if you pull the whole deck section you'll probably feel compelled to replace the deck beams before putting the new deck down and so on.

Where as, if you just pull the bad planks, cut out any rot you find underneath and sister in a chunk of deck beam. You could have it buttoned up again in no time. Leaving you the use of the boat.

But heck, I'll enjoy following along either way.
    -Jim

And I'll admit it, I'm tempted by Molle B. It's a good thing that I'm currently a little over nine hundred miles away.
    -Jim

I'm tempted by Molle B, i can't even figure out how far I am, only thing is she wouldn't make a very good yacht

Quote Originally Posted by jsjpd1 View Post
    I hear you, Chris. Nothing wrong with wanting to do it right the first time. The only argument I have for going quick and dirty here is because you already have a long list of pulled apart stuff, without branching out into a deck project too. I'd bet a dollar that the deck beam under that mast step is gone too. Mine were we're the cockpit deck had gone bad. So if you pull the whole deck section you'll probably feel compelled to replace the deck beams before putting the new deck down and so on.

Where as, if you just pull the bad planks, cut out any rot you find underneath and sister in a chunk of deck beam. You could have it buttoned up again in no time. Leaving you the use of the boat.

But heck, I'll enjoy following along either way.
    Yeah. It's the "and so on" bit that does worry me a little. And you're right. Originally I was not planning to tackle the aft deck project until next year, other than making this section water tight, since I have so many other things in progress. But I'll pull the rotten planks at least, since that has to be done in any case, and then assess the situation further.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewpatrol View Post
    I'm tempted by Molle B, i can't even figure out how far I am, only thing is she wouldn't make a very good yacht
    8,129 miles or 13,082.36 km Andrew, according to Google. Not too long ago one would have had to work that out with dividers on a globe or something. Pretty amazing world we live in! But no, Molle B is a pretty girl for sure but she is never going to be a yacht.

The last couple of weeks have been a bit of a bust as far as getting work done on Petrel. Round three of strep took me out of commission again. Yes, I have been down with it three times in the space of a month! Or possibly it was just that the various antibiotics weren't effective so it kept coming back. Either way, I'm hoping that the last round was it for a very long while. Time to get back to work. Today I made some more progress on the outside helm:

First I ran the lines through the bulkhead using the Moeller fittings:

And then made up the hard lines from the helm pump to the bulkhead fittings:

The lines are just test-fit for now. I still need to run the lines on the other side of the bulkhead and then I'll bench-bleed the helm pump before final hookup and bleeding the entire system. And I may get a coat of paint on the helm pump as well.

Next I tackled the rotten deck planks and beam under the mast step:

Not as bad as it could be but not as good as I'd like either. I'm mulling options for repairing and sealing the deck here but I'm still leaning towards just replacing it completely. So far the rot appears to be confined to the section of deck beam and bulkhead right under the mast step. I think I can just scarf in a new section for the deck beam and then lay plywood down. There are a couple of other areas that I'll have to deal with, in particular one frame on the port side which I removed completely due to rot. I'll have to repair that as well but I don't think that will be too difficult. All in all I think it's a manageable project but per Jim's point a few posts ago I'm going to wait to deal with it until I have a few of the current projects done.

I'm planning more work on the steering system tomorrow, plus paint prep for the pilothouse and trunk cabin. While I'm still planning to haul out and address the various hull issues soon my current focus is on the projects that I need to complete so I can take the tent down. Deck and cabin paint, outside steering station, etc.

I'm glad to see you using flare, rather than compression fittings. I worked on my boat also today. Unfortunately, the yard is only open 10-4 on saturdays and closed sundays. Tomorrow I start the boom truck repairs.

The last couple of weeks have been a bit of a bust as far as getting work done on Petrel. Round three of strep took me out of commission again. Yes, I have been down with it three times in the space of a month! Or possibly it was just that the various antibiotics weren't effective so it kept coming back. Either way, I'm hoping that the last round was it for a very long while. Time to get back to work. Today I made some more progress on the outside helm:

First I ran the lines through the bulkhead using the Moeller fittings:

And then made up the hard lines from the helm pump to the bulkhead fittings:

The lines are just test-fit for now. I still need to run the lines on the other side of the bulkhead and then I'll bench-bleed the helm pump before final hookup and bleeding the entire system. And I may get a coat of paint on the helm pump as well.

Next I tackled the rotten deck planks and beam under the mast step:

Not as bad as it could be but not as good as I'd like either. I'm mulling options for repairing and sealing the deck here but I'm still leaning towards just replacing it completely. So far the rot appears to be confined to the section of deck beam and bulkhead right under the mast step. I think I can just scarf in a new section for the deck beam and then lay plywood down. There are a couple of other areas that I'll have to deal with, in particular one frame on the port side which I removed completely due to rot. I'll have to repair that as well but I don't think that will be too difficult. All in all I think it's a manageable project but per Jim's point a few posts ago I'm going to wait to deal with it until I have a few of the current projects done.

I'm planning more work on the steering system tomorrow, plus paint prep for the pilothouse and trunk cabin. While I'm still planning to haul out and address the various hull issues soon my current focus is on the projects that I need to complete so I can take the tent down. Deck and cabin paint, outside steering station, etc.
    This all looks so familiar! Glad to see you are still making progress. It's been an unforgiving winter here, I finally booked a boathouse upriver for the month of May so I can redo the forward half of the decks on the Carlyle. If I take everything off the wheelhouse roof and remove the mast I can nose the front half of the boat in with 6" or headroom to spare! There was simply no way to build a shelter to withstand the 100mph winds we get here. There are no boathouses here on the coast, I have to go about 12 miles inland where the wind doesn't howl quite so hard.

It sounds like salmon season is going to be a bust up and down the west coast this year, so there may be a lot of decent old salmon trollers for sale for reasonable prices. Almost all are diesel powered, and will range from 28-42 feet. I think the gas engine probably hurts the Molle B. I'm in the middle of a project to move the gas tank for my pony motor from the engine room to outside on the aft deck. So far the simple move of a 4 gallon tank has cost over $250...

Keep up the good work on Petrel - after we get moved up that way this summer I 'd love to see her in person.

-C.
    M/V Carlyle III
    50' 1930 Menchions Shipyard

Keep up the good work on Petrel - after we get moved up that way this summer I 'd love to see her in person.
    Likewise Chris. I'm looking forward to a tour of Carlyle III. It sounds like the weather down there has just been miserable. A move up here definitely seems like a good idea. Did you see my post about liveaboard marinas on Puget Sound? Let me know if you want any information on possible locations - I'm happy to help.

I'm glad to see you using flare, rather than compression fittings. I worked on my boat also today. Unfortunately, the yard is only open 10-4 on saturdays and closed sundays. Tomorrow I start the boom truck repairs.
    Thanks Psuggmog. Looking at the latest pictures you posted of the trailer light install it seems like you must be really close to being able to bring Dixie Rose home. Moving day some time this week perhaps? And I want to see this boom truck! Got any photos?

More progress on the steering today:

Hard lines are done now except for a couple of short pieces to connect the new lines into the old ones leading to the cylinder. Conveniently there are already junctions in the existing lines that I can tie into. And the new lines are already set up with tee fittings (capped for now) so that I can connect the existing helm to the new system once the pilothouse work is done. Eventually I'll replace the old tubing all the way back to the rudder post but that's a project for later.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris-on-the-Boat View Post
    There was simply no way to build a shelter to withstand the 100mph winds we get here.
    How about a 24x40 designed for 160 mph?
    http://shamrockaquaponicfarm.com/wp-...e-Plan-Set.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by ulav8r View Post
    How about a 24x40 designed for 160 mph?
    http://shamrockaquaponicfarm.com/wp-...e-Plan-Set.pdf
    Nice looking bowshed design. Looks very strong. Not practical for a boat in the water though. Might be tough to find a place to pour the specified concrete footings for one thing! The simple PVC bow tent I have on Petrel has withstood gusts of ~40mph or so but I think anything much more that that would rip it right off. I've spent a couple of uneasy nights down on the boat during windy conditions. I think it would be very difficult to build a reasonable tent that would withstand the winds that Chris is getting on the coast. Maybe not impossible, but at a certain point I think you'd spend more time building and maintaining the shed than working on the boat.

Nice looking bowshed design. Looks very strong. Not practical for a boat in the water though. Might be tough to find a place to pour the specified concrete footings for one thing! The simple PVC bow tent I have on Petrel has withstood gusts of ~40mph or so but I think anything much more that that would rip it right off. I've spent a couple of uneasy nights down on the boat during windy conditions. I think it would be very difficult to build a reasonable tent that would withstand the winds that Chris is getting on the coast. Maybe not impossible, but at a certain point I think you'd spend more time building and maintaining the shed than working on the boat.
    It was Chris-on-the-Boat that mentioned he could not build a shed that would withstand 100 mph winds. If he has the room and the need, it can be done. I think that details from these plans could help with any shelter construction. The key points are bracing, proper covering material, and controlling\preventing movement of the cover.

Quote Originally Posted by ulav8r View Post
    It was Chris-on-the-Boat that mentioned he could not build a shed that would withstand 100 mph winds. If he has the room and the need, it can be done. I think that details from these plans could help with any shelter construction. The key points are bracing, proper covering material, and controlling\preventing movement of the cover.
    Agreed. Although Chris-on-the-boat's Carlyle III is in the water as well so the same challenges apply. I did think hard about building a proper wooden bow shed style tent for Petrel (in the water) but a couple of considerations stopped me:

1. Every bow has to be different due to beam and deck height differences. That makes the build much more complicated. Certainly more effort than I would want to do for a seasonal/temporary structure.

2. Engineering a way to attach the bows to the boat is also difficult without making permanent accommodations for them, like sockets in the bulwarks. Again, not something I would want to do for a temporary structure. You might be able to get away with just lashing them down but I still think the upper limit for wind speed would be 50-60 mph at best with that setup.

Bottom line, unless you are going to be under a tent for an extended stay or you are building something that would be re-used every winter I think the PVC bow structure I ended up with makes the most sense. I've tried other options but always end up coming back to this basic design. Inexpensive. Quick and easy to put up and take down again. And you could build it stronger than I did. But even so it's not going to withstand a winter on the North Pacific coast.

Started today with a bit of Spring cleaning on Petrel. The various tools, materials, debris and etc. from projects over the last few months have started to crowd Addie and me off of the boat.

A truckload of stuff later it's a bit better:

Then I patched the cabin top under the engine controls and filled a few holes and cracks in the bulkhead.

Once I finish the outside helm I'll be back to prepping and painting the pilothouse and trunk cabin so I can take the tent down. Which will put me right back where I started last July. This time I intend to finish that job before getting distracted with anything else! But I can't help thinking ahead to the projects that will make Petrel into a comfortable boat for cruising. That's a ways off but recently I have been enticed by an interesting aft cabin design that Psuggmog brought to my attention on Facebook. According to Tad Robert's son James it was used on Japanese cod boats, as shown on this one at the Campbell River Museum:

It seems like a much more elegant solution than the typical approach of putting a cabin over the fish hold, as Petrel had when I found her. Tempting...

Nice progress Chris. An aft cabin is an interesting idea, I like it.
    -Jim

Once I finish the outside helm I'll be back to prepping and painting the pilothouse and trunk cabin so I can take the tent down. Which will put me right back where I started last July. This time I intend to finish that job before getting distracted with anything else! But I can't help thinking ahead to the projects that will make Petrel into a comfortable boat for cruising. That's a ways off but recently I have been enticed by an interesting aft cabin design that Psuggmog brought to my attention on Facebook. According to Tad Robert's son James it was used on Japanese cod boats, as shown on this one at the Campbell River Museum:

It seems like a much more elegant solution than the typical approach of putting a cabin over the fish hold, as Petrel had when I found her. Tempting...
    I think that the aft cabin would be more graceful visually if the roofline followed the shear line. Thanks for posting these photos. Dixie Rose is finally in the 'hood. I'm contemplating shelter ideas. And have a few doors to make similar to the one in the upper photo in this series.

Sanding and grinding today. Sanded the bulkhead filler...

...and the fiberglass patch on the cabintop.

A bit more work needed here and then it will be ready for paint. It would probably make more sense to paint this section when I do the rest of the cabin and deck but I'd like to be able to check off at least one project as "complete" before moving on to another one. So I'll get paint on the surfaces that need to be done before final installation of the helm components and then I'll move on to the rest of it.

Busy week at work so not much progress on Petrel but I did get a couple of things done:

More paint scraping on the pilothouse/cabin top in preparation for fillet and tape to improve the edge of the fiberglass where it meets the pilothouse side. More on that below as I think this area is going to turn into a whole new project, as things seem to do.

Fillet and tape on the section adjacent to the controls so I can keep moving forward with that project.

And a coat of paint on the bulkhead around the helm pump cutout. Actually, a couple of thinned coats and one full coat. I'll get a couple more full coats on over the next few days and then I'll finish the helm pump installation.

On the whole fillet-and-tape effort. My goal there is to prevent water from running under the fiberglass cabin top covering where it makes the turn up the side of the pilothouse since there are a few places where the old fiberglass is lifting up a bit. Forum member Rumars recommended cutting the glass back from the corner then adding a fillet and taping over that. While I think that's the best plan short of ripping it off and doing it all over, I decided to just grind off any areas that are not adhering, run a fillet over the existing sheathing and then tape over that. I expect that will last for a few years at least until I can do it right, and it will be a lot less work. But in scraping the paint off I've found at least one larger patch that is not adhering to the cabin top at all. So I'll have to tackle that as well. Fingers crossed that the problem area is limited in size and that the wood underneath is not rotten. What are the odds?

Looks good Chris. I kinda like the Peter Max psychedelic effect (I might be dating myself with the reference). Good to see that you can get paint on in this weather. Hit it between cloudbursts.

Thanks Curt. Fortunately I'm under a tent at the moment so the mercurial weather isn't too much of a deterrent. Despite my (brief and long ago) art history education I had to look up Peter Max. I had been thinking Rothko but you're closer to the mark. My counter-culture side is tempted to paint up Petrel as a psychedelic tribute, like this...

That would be a lot of fun. But my traditionalist streak is way too wide for that, so I'm going to stick with plain old workboat colors. Hatteras White cabin sides, sand beige decks and cabin tops, dark green trim - and maybe a bit of red here and there.

Good choice. Petrel is my favourite building/repair thread, thanks for having us along for the journey Chris. Your aim to work on the boat in manageable chunks and keep her usable throughout is a great inspiration. Apparently us mere mortals with too much things to do in the day already can restore a beautiful boat.

Quote Originally Posted by MoritzSchwarzer View Post
    Good choice. Petrel is my favourite building/repair thread, thanks for having us along for the journey Chris. Your aim to work on the boat in manageable chunks and keep her usable throughout is a great inspiration. Apparently us mere mortals with too much things to do in the day already can restore a beautiful boat.
    Thanks Moritz. About keeping it to manageable chunks... I'll confess that there's the plan and then there's reality. Some days I come closer to the plan than others. Right now I think that the tasks are increasing faster than I am able to finish them. So it's good to have the reminder that keeping Petrel usable is the ultimate goal. Time to focus on that for a while! Have to get the second helm done, get some paint on the cabin, patch up the deck and go boating. Everything else can wait its turn.