Page 26 of 38 FirstFirst ... 1625262736 ... LastLast

Thread: Restoration of BC Salmon Troller "Petrel"

Default Re: Restoration of BC Salmon Troller "Petrel"

Congratulation on making it out! Man, she really has potential. I love the swoop up and break towards the higher Bulwark on the fore deck. Never noticed that before.

Pretty little boat, will be really comfortable at sea.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Must have been nice to get out, well done. I agree with your wife's choice of a second boat!

Thanks everyone. It was great to get Petrel out of the slip. She's come a long way in the last couple of years from a near-derelict waiting to be scrapped. But taking her out for just that brief tour also pointed out how far I still have to go. I made a detailed list last night. It’s really long. Paint, hull work, aft deck rebuild, interior build out, systems…. Many, many thousands of hours of work ahead.

As for other boats, my scheme for the Bartender didn't pan out. I was thinking I could talk a friend who lives on several acres into partnering with me. I buy it, he stores it. But no luck. I think he doesn't want to enable my bad habits, which is not an unreasonable concern! So I just have to find a way to spend more time on Petrel. Sooner I get the work done, sooner I get to go cruising.
    - Chris

https://fvpetrel.wordpress.com

Life is short. Go boating now!

Quote Originally Posted by cstevens View Post
    Well, I like having it for sure. It's very handy for maneuvering and docking. But it's at an awkward height for general use. If I stand on the aft deck the wheel is at an ok height - a bit low but not too bad - but the pilothouse blocks visibility to port. If I step up on the side deck I can see over the pilothouse but then the wheel is too low. Alternately I can duck down and look through the pilothouse windows, but that's not very comfortable. I think a stool of the proper height might help though.
    I wanted to ask this as well. Based on your posture, in the photos, the helm looks a bit low. I am considering something similar for Dixie Rose. One idea I had was to move the rear sliding door to the port side, frame in the existing apeture and mout the auxillary helm higher up on the aft bulkhead of the wheelhouse, leaving the engine controls on the top of the trunk cabin.

Quote Originally Posted by Psuggmog View Post
    I wanted to ask this as well. Based on your posture, in the photos, the helm looks a bit low. I am considering something similar for Dixie Rose. One idea I had was to move the rear sliding door to the port side, frame in the existing apeture and mout the auxillary helm higher up on the aft bulkhead of the wheelhouse, leaving the engine controls on the top of the trunk cabin.
    The wheel is a little low, but that's not the main problem. My awkward posture in the photos is not so I can reach the wheel, it's so I can see through or over the pilothouse. When I'm standing on the deck the top of the house is right at eye level and blocks visibility to port. In more open water it might not be that much of a problem - it's easy enough to step up and look over the house or duck to look through the windows every so often - but in the Ship Canal I needed to make sure I wasn't going to run over or into kayaks, SUPs, rowers, runabouts, sailboats, yachts, commercial traffic and everything else that runs through here.

However I did do a test with a makeshift stool yesterday and if I'm sitting so I can look through the pilothouse door (or the window in the door eventually) I can see out through the forward windows just fine. The wheel is a very good height for that setup as well, so I think a proper wooden stool is in Petrel's future. As for placing the wheel higher up on the bulkhead. Maybe. I thought about that as well, but depending on the dimensions of Dixie Rose you might have the same problem. You would still need visibility over or through the pilothouse. Which could be resolved with a step I suppose but then you have to stand to pilot from there, or you would need a very tall stool for sitting.
    - Chris

1/10

It has been a year since I started this thread so to mark the occasion here is a little photo essay of progress on Petrel since I found her in November of 2014.

- Chris

2/10

- Chris

3/10

Last edited by cstevens; 07-18-2017 at 09:44 AM.
    - Chris

4/10

- Chris

5/10

- Chris

6/10

- Chris

7/10

- Chris

8/10

- Chris

9/10

- Chris

10/10

And that's where we are today. Dare I post the list of all the things still left to be done?
    - Chris

For the moment I recommend just basking in the joy of accomplishment. You can detail out the list tomorrow.
    -Jim

Sucker for a pretty face.
    1934 27' Blanchard Cuiser ~ Amazon, Ex. Emalu
    19'6" Caledonia Yawl ~ Sparrow

Getting into trouble one board at a time.

I'll bet!

And here's what you asked for:

Took Petrel for a little cruise around Salmon Bay and got a few photos of her out on the water.

I don't see a problem with that helm station, it is just the right size for a child and you have one of those. Sure, he is a bit small at the moment, but trust me they grow quick.

Those video's are not long enough.

Enjoyed this accomplishments list in pictures very much - must go to see Petrel in Olympia !!

Regarding your outside station; I find that in open water on Snoose I'll often have her on autopilot and then I perch myself outside on top of the aft cabin where I can still see thru the pilot house, and also be able to quickly jump to the wheel if necessary. The Zodiac is usually on top of the pilot house and provides a nice backrest. These conditions are happy accidents, not really planned. I guess my point is that you will also find places to sit as you use the boat. Also these deep boats track pretty well so you don't really need your hands actually on the wheel every second, as long as you are close enough to reach it quickly. More important to be in a position to see logs and traffic. I think your outside helm is great and you will find a way to use it with a stool or something.

BTW, I forget which direction your prop turns. If you back to starboard, your helm will be great for docking.

Quote Originally Posted by emjaya View Post
    I don't see a problem with that helm station, it is just the right size for a child and you have one of those. Sure, he is a bit small at the moment, but trust me they grow quick.
    Yes, that was definitely a factor in the placement of the wheel

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogsnight View Post
    Enjoyed this accomplishments list in pictures very much - must go to see Petrel in Olympia !!
    Thanks Wojo. Unfortunately after seeing Ron's note about currents at the narrows and realizing that it's likely a two-day trip to get there I'm pretty sure I won't be able to do it this year. If I could get down there in one day sure, but as it is I would need at least 5-6 days for the full trip and I don't think I can free up that much time. But I may try to just drive down for a day, in which case it would be great to meet up.

Quote Originally Posted by ron ll View Post
    Regarding your outside station; I find that in open water on Snoose I'll often have her on autopilot and then I perch myself outside on top of the aft cabin where I can still see thru the pilot house, and also be able to quickly jump to the wheel if necessary. The Zodiac is usually on top of the pilot house and provides a nice backrest. These conditions are happy accidents, not really planned. I guess my point is that you will also find places to sit as you use the boat. Also these deep boats track pretty well so you don't really need your hands actually on the wheel every second, as long as you are close enough to reach it quickly. More important to be in a position to see logs and traffic. I think your outside helm is great and you will find a way to use it with a stool or something.

BTW, I forget which direction your prop turns. If you back to starboard, your helm will be great for docking.
    All good points - thanks Ron. That's pretty much the way I was envisioning things as well.
    Last edited by cstevens; 07-19-2017 at 11:56 PM.
    - Chris

Ok, moving on. I'm not going to share my master to-do list. Way too long and scary. But here's the plan for the next few months:

Summer/Fall: Cabin and Foredeck

• Finish trunk cabin and pilothouse exterior paint
    • Repair, refinish and reinstall pilothouse door
    • Repair, refinish and reinstall pilothouse windows
    • Replace handrails on trunk cabin and pilothouse tops
    • Reef, recaulk and refinish foredeck

Winter/Spring: Haulout and Systems

• Install floors fwd of the engine
    • Sister frames ditto
    • Replace rotten engine crossmember
    • Replace ~3-5 planks above the w/l on the port side amidships
    • Replace/sister ~4-5 frames ditto
    • Wood and paint bottom
    • Recaulk as needed
    • Rebuild aft deck to original height
    • Derust and paint engine and gear
    • Relocate coolant expansion tank and re-route coolant hoses
    • Full engine service
    • Fabricate and install new dry stack
    • Replace fuel tanks
    • Replace pilothouse fwd. bulkhead
    • Rebuild pilothouse sole and engine hatches
    • Soundproof engine compartment

Probably over-optimistic to think I can get all of this done in the next year, but it's a goal at least. I'm still considering whether I should pull the engine when I haul out. On the one hand if I do that I am adding a bunch of work to the haulout period, which is already going to be a major effort. On the other hand there are a few things I'd like to do that can only be done with the motor out, like fastening the crossmembers under the engine to the frames and keel, and replacing the engine beds which are badly rusted. Opinions?
    - Chris

... So I just called South Park Marina, where I did all of the work on Petrel back in 2015, to make arrangements to haul out in October. They told me they are no longer hauling wooden boats at all. That's a scary turn of events - if you can't haul a wood boat at South Park how long will it be before we can't haul out anywhere!? Not sure what I'm going to do now. I can't afford the lay day rates for storage in any of the yards on the Ship Canal (for example Canal Boat Yard is $1.75/ft per day or around $1800/month. Ouch!). Even Port Townsend would be over $700/month for dry storage. Time to get creative I suppose, but it's a bit of a blow to my plans for sure. I was thinking I would do as much of the work as possible myself, which would mean an extended stay on land. But maybe I just need to have it done professionally at some place like Seaview. Shorter stay and no lay day charge while they are doing the work. That means $$$$ though, which wasn't part of the plan. Hmmm. I'd love to take Petrel up to B.C. and have James Roberts do it. Daydreaming.
    - Chris

... So I just called South Park Marina, where I did all of the work on Petrel back in 2015, to make arrangements to haul out in October. They told me they are no longer hauling wooden boats at all. That's a scary turn of events - if you can't haul a wood boat at South Park how long will it be before we can't haul out anywhere!? Not sure what I'm going to do now. I can't afford the lay day rates for storage in any of the yards on the Ship Canal (for example Canal Boat Yard is $1.75/ft per day or around $1800/month. Ouch!). Even Port Townsend would be over $700/month for dry storage. Time to get creative I suppose, but it's a bit of a blow to my plans for sure. I was thinking I would do as much of the work as possible myself, which would mean an extended stay on land. But maybe I just need to have it done professionally at some place like Seaview. Shorter stay and no lay day charge while they are doing the work. That means $$$$ though, which wasn't part of the plan. Hmmm. I'd love to take Petrel up to B.C. and have James Roberts do it. Daydreaming.
    i thought that South Park was the last bastion of the "good ole days" of low cost boat yards in the Seattle area. With the high costs you mention, i would suggest looking into the cost of having a trailer built, it might be the equivalent of only a few months haulout/storage fees. A major consideration for me deciding to buy Dixie Rose was her location and the included trailer. I feel very fortunate to have a walking/no fee commute to work on my largest boat. If you can weld, building a trailer might be cost effective, even if you have to buy the welder. When my boat was at Marine Services yard in Anacortes,this spring, the yard fee was just over $200/ month. I didn't have to pay for haulout fees, since DR was on a trailer already. You could check with Associated to see what transport fees might be, or maybe Pretrel could make the trip under her own power. I consider being a volunteer deckhand if you go this route.
    Last edited by Psuggmog; 07-21-2017 at 01:36 AM.

Another thought, check with Andy at Emerald Marine in Anacortes to see what he might charge for the work you need. He worked on Suva this spring. I met him while I was there working on my boat and was favorably impressed with his character and skills.

i thought that South Park was the last bastion of the "good ole days" of low cost boat yards in the Seattle area. With the high costs you mention, i would suggest looking into the cost of having a trailer built, it might be the equivalent of only a few months haulout/storage fees. A major consideration for me deciding to buy Dixie Rose was her location and the included trailer. I feel very fortunate to have a walking/no fee commute to work on my largest boat. If you can weld, building a trailer might be cost effective, even if you have to buy the welder. When my boat was at Marine Services yard in Anacortes,this spring, the yard fee was just over $200/ month. I didn't have to pay for haulout fees, since DR was on a trailer already. You could check with Associated to see what transport fees might be, or maybe Pretrel could make the trip under her own power. I consider being a volunteer deckhand if you go this route.
    It used to be. But they cut up so many abandoned, hopeless boats there - the great majority of them wooden - that I can't really blame them for changing their policy. It's a business after all. Still, it was completely unexpected and a bit of a shock.

My welding skills are primitive at best and haven't been used in a very long time but I have friends with better abilities so welding up a trailer isn't out of the question. Anacortes would be a bit of a journey if I want to do the work myself but I might be able to find reasonable storage closer in if Petrel is trailerable.

Another thought, check with Andy at Emerald Marine in Anacortes to see what he might charge for the work you need. He worked on Suva this spring. I met him while I was there working on my boat and was favorably impressed with his character and skills.
    I've never met Andy but I've spoken with him about work that he did on a boat I was looking at before I acquired Petrel, and he was very helpful. That's a possibility for sure. If I did move Petrel somewhere like Anacortes I would definitely take her there under her own power and would be very happy to have you along as deckhand

Anyway, this is my current dilemma. Have a professional shop do the hull work (faster but more expensive) or find a place to put Petrel and do it myself (much slower).
    - Chris

Chris,
    I seem to recall that you have access to the bottom where the floors and other big lumps are to be fitted. So I am thinking that you could prefabricate them afloat thereby reducing the time ashore.

Quote Originally Posted by Peerie Maa View Post
    Chris,
    I seem to recall that you have access to the bottom where the floors and other big lumps are to be fitted. So I am thinking that you could prefabricate them afloat thereby reducing the time ashore.
    Yes, that's been my plan. Chip out the concrete and make the floors with Petrel in the water then fasten them in during the haulout. That's only a small part of the overall project though. Petrel needs several frames sistered or replaced and a few planks replaced as well. Plus it would be easier to do the aft deck rebuild out of the water too, if only because most marinas here don't allow major work in the slip. I think I'm crossing that line where I am as it is but so far they have been accommodating.
    - Chris

Without cheap storage at hand the cost is likely to be in the same ballpark. So now the question becomes: "Do I want to repair the boat myself, or do I want to use the boat?" What's more important, working the wood or using the boat?

OTOH you could look for an industrial property to rent for cheap where you can restore the boat. It is likely it will be far away (think city outskirts) and the restauration will be longer than you think because you will tend to move her back to the water only when everything is perfect.
    How wide is Petrel? Can you trailer her easy or do you need the full paperwork for oversize load?

Yes, that's been my plan. Chip out the concrete and make the floors with Petrel in the water then fasten them in during the haulout. That's only a small part of the overall project though. Petrel needs several frames sistered or replaced and a few planks replaced as well. Plus it would be easier to do the aft deck rebuild out of the water too, if only because most marinas here don't allow major work in the slip. I think I'm crossing that line where I am as it is but so far they have been accommodating.
    If the deck is to have new beams they and the frame timbers can also be prepped in advance, and so on.

Quote Originally Posted by Rumars View Post
    Without cheap storage at hand the cost is likely to be in the same ballpark. So now the question becomes: "Do I want to repair the boat myself, or do I want to use the boat?" What's more important, working the wood or using the boat?

OTOH you could look for an industrial property to rent for cheap where you can restore the boat. It is likely it will be far away (think city outskirts) and the restauration will be longer than you think because you will tend to move her back to the water only when everything is perfect.
    How wide is Petrel? Can you trailer her easy or do you need the full paperwork for oversize load?
    I expect you're right about the cost Rumars, and the "far away" part as well. And in the "work on it or use it equation" I definitely prefer the "use it" side of things. But I may have a place to put Petrel for free with a friend (the same person I was talking to about storing the Bartender), which would change things a bit. It's a 20-minute drive and a 30-minute ferry ride away, so at least an hour to get there, but we visit them regularly already, I would have access to power and a decent workshop there, Dash is friends with their daughters so he can go and play while I work on the boat, and there is even a large field where Addie, our dog, can run - something she doesn't get to do much here in Seattle. So if it all works out it might be the best solution all around. There are still some logistics to work out though, and it would certainly mean extending the out of water part of the project somewhat. My goal is still to have Petrel in the water and usable next year but then I said that last year...

Quote Originally Posted by Peerie Maa View Post
    If the deck is to have new beams they and the frame timbers can also be prepped in advance, and so on.
    Yes - you're right. No reason I can't prep deck beams and even do a lot of prep for frames and planks in advance. If I end up hauling somewhere expensive and I want to reduce time out of the water that's a good plan. Right now I'm leaning toward far away/longer project/free storage and DIY over a closer/quicker/expensive professional job. But like I said - some logistics to work out.

A trailer like Psuggmog suggested would certainly make things easier but then I have to offset the advantages of the trailer against the cost and time to build or find something suitable. I think I can get Petrel out to Vashon (the island) for around $1,500 using a commercial transport service. I doubt I can make or buy a trailer, get Petrel onto it and hauled to Vashon for less than twice that much. But still plenty of hurdles to cross before any of this happens. More details here as they become available. Stay tuned!
    - Chris

I

A trailer like Psuggmog suggested would certainly make things easier but then I have to offset the advantages of the trailer against the cost and time to build or find something suitable. I think I can get Petrel out to Vashon (the island) for around $1,500 using a commercial transport service. I doubt I can make or buy a trailer, get Petrel onto it and hauled to Vashon for less than twice that much. But still plenty of hurdles to cross before any of this happens. More details here as they become available. Stay tuned!
    You probably can't buy a trailer for the cost of a one way trip, but you might be able to get one for the price of a round trip haul. There was another double ender at the yard where I was last spring about the same size as Petrel. The owner found a suitable used trailer six weeks ago for $500. He bought it at an auction. No one esle bid on it. Maybe you could find an industrial trailer, use the axles etc and modify to fit Petrel for less than nrw fabrication. Oversize permits are cheap. Mine was $10 for one day or $20 for one month.

You probably can't buy a trailer for the cost of a one way trip, but you might be able to get one for the price of a round trip haul. There was another double ender at the yard where I was last spring about the same size as Petrel. The owner found a suitable used trailer six weeks ago for $500. He bought it at an auction. No one esle bid on it. Maybe you could find an industrial trailer, use the axles etc and modify to fit Petrel for less than nrw fabrication. Oversize permits are cheap. Mine was $10 for one day or $20 for one month.
    Ah - yes, good point. I had not factored in the return trip to the transportation costs. That does change things a bit. Ok, starting to scour craigslist for suitable trailers now.
    - Chris

Check out the upcoming Ritchie aution listing in Chehalis on July 26. There are several trailers, such as 10 ton flatbed equipment trailers which could be an excellent foundation to modify. They also have 50 and 60 ton lowboy trailers which would be overkill.

Check out the upcoming Ritchie aution listing in Chehalis on July 26. There are several trailers, such as 10 ton flatbed equipment trailers which could be an excellent foundation to modify. They also have 50 and 60 ton lowboy trailers which would be overkill.
    Unfortunately I have to be in Portland on Wednesday. Which means I'll be driving through Chehalis but with no time to stop for the auction. But this one looks like a decent starting place possibly?

https://bellingham.craigslist.org/fo...184196625.html

Might need another axle, but how does this compare to the dimensions of the trailer for Dixie Rose? And did you get a weight for Dixie Rose when you were towing her?
    - Chris