Page 25 of 38 FirstFirst ... 1524252635 ... LastLast

Thread: Restoration of BC Salmon Troller "Petrel"

Default Re: Restoration of BC Salmon Troller "Petrel"

Quote Originally Posted by Psuggmog View Post
    I have the shaper cutters to make doors and window sashes. I plan to make raised panel door(s) for Dixie Rose. The two wheel house side doors, which were added when the wheelhouse was extended and widened, have major rot. I haven't decided whether to make them out of Honduras or cvg old grown fir. I have both. With raised panel design, smaller pieces of wood suffice. The rear slider on the added aft cabin is cvg fir, i don't know if it is the original from the wheelhouse prior to conversion.
    That's my goal down the road as well. Ideally cvg fir to match what little brightwork Petrel will have when done. Or perhaps I'll get lucky and will find something suitable. But right now I'm just trying to decide whether it's easier to patch up the door I have or make something temporary from plywood. I need to keep the window so it's a bit more work than just cutting plywood to the right size so I'm leaning towards keeping the original one. Dig out the rot and fill with epoxy and then replace the bottom edge, which is a separate piece and also rotten.

As for the bulwarks, I'll "fix" them temporarily with penetrating epoxy and filler for now. Not ideal but it will do until I tackle the full aft deck project. I'm doing a lot of "patch it up for now" projects though. More than I like, but unless I want to give up on using Petrel this summer entirely I need to just keep going and do it right later. (And Pat, no need to tell me that I'll have to do all this work over again soon. I know, and I nag at myself about it quite enough without outside assistance!)
    - Chris

https://fvpetrel.wordpress.com

Life is short. Go boating now!

...or I could buy something like this as a way to get on the water now, and take the time to get Petrel done right the first time.

Hmmmmm. 16' classic cuddy cabin. Make and year unspecified but likely Dorsett/Skagit/Bell Bouy - one of the early PNW fiberglass shops in any case. Just showed up on CL in Olympia. I've never been a fan of runabouts like the one Yeadon posted but a little cruiser like this could be fun. Bartenders in good condition are well outside of my price range and I think we all agree that another project isn't a good idea but this one looks ok as-is and is relatively cheap. Tempting.
    - Chris

Quote Originally Posted by cstevens View Post
    That's a thought Denise although it's a pretty specific size so it could be tough to match. But I've been in contact with a guy who has a bunch of old boat parts and he thinks he has a door that will work. Problem is he's up on Vancouver Island so it's a trek for me to go up and see what he has. I'll work it out on way or another though.
    Post the dimensions of your door, Chris. I have some odd-sized wooden panel doors I rescued from a burn pile. Ya never know what might fit....
    -- Tim Taylor

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit . . . Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

...or I could buy something like this as a way to get on the water now, and take the time to get Petrel done right the first time.

Hmmmmm. 16' classic cuddy cabin. Make and year unspecified but likely Dorsett/Skagit/Bell Bouy - one of the early PNW fiberglass shops in any case. Just showed up on CL in Olympia. I've never been a fan of runabouts like the one Yeadon posted but a little cruiser like this could be fun. Bartenders in good condition are well outside of my price range and I think we all agree that another project isn't a good idea but this one looks ok as-is and is relatively cheap. Tempting.
    Those are pretty cool. Very useful around Puget Sound. So, crabbing season has open right now. Are you ready?
    Quote Originally Posted by James McMullen View Post
    Yeadon is right, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Yeadon View Post
    Those are pretty cool. Very useful around Puget Sound. So, crabbing season has open right now. Are you ready?

Marty Loken has a similar boat...you can see it on my Fishtown movie on Vimeo.

Quick fix for the door: cut some ply strips of the right thickness to bring the sides up to the same level as the raised panels. Nail or screw them to the door. Cut a 1/2 inch ply piece to the door dimensions, cut the window opening out, screw or nail to the door. Make sure to do this on the face that is not contacting the frame, so it can be closed.
    This method asumes that you build a new door or paint the original one after proper repairs, since you would have to fill and hide the holes. But it's quick to do and will last until the ply rots.

Quote Originally Posted by pcford View Post
    Marty Loken has a similar boat...you can see it on my Fishtown movie on Vimeo.
    Didn't Marty also have a boat similar to Petrel a couple of years back?

Quote Originally Posted by Yeadon View Post
    The crab seem to have turned out the lights and left Puget Sound. The fact that the West Point sewage treatment plant dumped 180 million gallons of sewage into the Sound may have influenced their decision about where to raise their kids.

Quote Originally Posted by ron ll View Post
    Didn't Marty also have a boat similar to Petrel a couple of years back?
    He did. And spent a lot of money on it and then sold it for pennies according to what he told me. A cautionary tale the way he said it. I can't find Pat's video of Marty's Dorsett but I'm sure it was perfect as his boats all seem to be.

Rumars, that's a good tip on the door however it's a slider so it can't get any thicker than it is now. And it's flat in any case - no raised panel to content with. Here's a better photo of it, from last year:

The rot is pretty localized though, so I think I can just get away with filling it for now. Although I'm seriously thinking of getting Petrel into a yard where I can go after some of the big problems (floors, frames, various rotten bits like the deck and bulwarks) rather than continuing to chip away at the cosmetic things and bodging over the rotten bits with epoxy. I had planned to do that before now but pushed it off with the thought that we could get out on the water a bit this Summer and then tackle the big projects in the Fall/Winter. But it bothers me to be stuffing epoxy into places that I should really be replacing with new wood. It keeps me up at night and makes me moody and snappish. (I'm not kidding - ask my wife). Not sure what I'm going to do yet but I'm doing a lot of mulling on it.
    - Chris

I tought you had a more complicated door. For that one just take it out, cut of the rotten bottom part and scarf new wood or plywood in. For a temporary door (that might prove to be permanent) cut a piece of ply to size. The window you mount as follows: cut the opening 1/2-1 inch smaller than the glass, put a bead of polysulfide goop down, glass over it, and some steel Z-brackets or a rabeted batten (bought not selfmade) to hold it place. For the permanent version glass edges with epoxy and fiberglass tape. When you decide it's time for a nicer door buy some doorskin to your liking and veneer over it.

I vote you buy something small that only needs a cleaning and an outboard to get on the water and move Petrel as close to home as you can, backyard would be perfect. That way any time you can not sleep you can walk out to the boat and either do something or think about how to do it, or take pictures and post them.

I vote you buy something small that only needs a cleaning and an outboard to get on the water and move Petrel as close to home as you can, backyard would be perfect. That way any time you can not sleep you can walk out to the boat and either do something or think about how to do it, or take pictures and post them.
    Something like a 19' Bartender you mean?

This one is in the Portland, Oregon area - about three hours by car. But coincidentally I'm going to be down there next week. I'm thinking about it. It's affordable and seems ready to go from the craigslist ad.

Can't put Petrel in the back yard since I don't have one but I could put her back at South Park Marina where I refinished the hull in 2015. It's not really convenient - a 30 minute drive - but it's cheap (relatively) and I like working there. Great coffee, pizza, and Mexican food within walking distance too.
    - Chris

Whatever you like as long as it's not a project. I liked that 16' classic cuddy cabin.

I know how it is not having a backyard. Maybe you could find some barn or shop or other enclosed industrial property closer to home that you could rent? Fixing it propperly is going to take a while and the closer it is the better. Something with a roof so you can work during the winter.

Whatever you like as long as it's not a project.
    Have you been talking to my wife? I think she said the same thing to me just now. Good advice. I think I'll take it!

I agree about closer=better but not at central Seattle prices. I'll look around but I think there is no chance of getting anything affordable near home. And there is one advantage to having the boat a bit further away. Once I'm down there I tend to stay longer and get more done. No heading home for lunch or meeting up with the family for a morning break that turns into an afternoon break and then I've gotten nothing done at all. When I was working on Petrel in 2015 I put in some long days and got a lot accomplished in a relatively short time.
    - Chris

I have a 1957 Bellboy 16 Express and a 1958 21 foot Dorsett Farrallon. One is larger and one smaller, but both are a similar form factor the the one pictured here. Fiberglass, yes but with wooden " bones". Both of mine had rot in the entombed wood, requiring removal of the glass to get at the wood to do wooden boat repair, than re-entomb with unpleasant resins. I much prefer working on Dixie Rose. Take you whitehall out when you need boat-in-the-water time would be my advice.
    Last edited by Psuggmog; 07-15-2017 at 02:47 AM.

If you buy a boat on a trailer in Portland, one word; wheel bearings. (Okay two words). But I know you know that.

Quote Originally Posted by Psuggmog View Post
    I have a 1957 Bellbuoy 16 Express and a 1958 21 foot Dorsett Farrallon. One is larger and one smaller, but both are a similar form factor the the one pictured here. Fiberglass, yes but with wooden " bones". Both of mine had rot in the entombed wood, requiring removal of the glass to get at the wood to do wooden boat repair, than re-entomb with unpleasant resins. I much prefer working on Dixie Rose. Take you whitehall out when you need boat-in-the-water time would be my advice.
    Yes, I did some research and saw that the stringers are wood in those boats. So I would expect rotten wood encapsulated in fiberglass. That would be worse than what I'm dealing with on Petrel so no thanks! And yes, the Whitehall is a great way to get on the water. But I really want something that will take us to Poulsbo for an afternoon or Port Townsend for a weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by ron ll View Post
    If you buy a boat on a trailer in Portland, one word; wheel bearings. (Okay two words). But I know you know that.
    Good reminder. I did think that the trailer on that Bartender looked somewhat undersized as well. If I do end up with the boat I might skip the trailer and borrow something larger to bring it back with.

All this is hypothetical in any case. I've been very committed to the goal of keeping Petrel operable as much as possible while doing the work. But I'm coming around to the idea that it will be better to give up on that (for a while at least) in order to complete some of the larger projects. I foresee some family conversations about it in any case.
    - Chris

I'd stick with plan A of getting operational in a rugged way, and ignore the cosmetic rot.
    If it has to come out anyway later, it doesn't matter if it gets worse in the meantime.
    Concentrate on getting some local on water time this summer if you can.
    My feelings are that taking boats out of the water is much easier than getting them back in again.
    A week quickly turns into a month and you know full well where that leads.

Quote Originally Posted by Slacko View Post
    I'd stick with plan A of getting operational in a rugged way, and ignore the cosmetic rot.
    If it has to come out anyway later, it doesn't matter if it gets worse in the meantime.
    Concentrate on getting some local on water time this summer if you can.
    My feelings are that taking boats out of the water is much easier than getting them back in again.
    A week quickly turns into a month and you know full well where that leads.
    Yes. That's been my thought as well. But I have standards, low as they may be. And right now I'm finding it hard to live up to my own expectations for the work on Petrel and still have a chance of getting out on her this year. So I am alternately frustrated by the amount of time it's taking to get to that point and by the compromises I'm making to get it done as quickly as possible. I don't win either way.

Plus even if I get everything on my near-term list done, at best we'd be able to putt putt around the lake a bit. She won't have any accommodations. That's fun and a worthwhile milestone but I'd like to be able to do more. My wife is onboard with the idea of getting a fast boat for day trips or the occasional overnight so that's a possibility. Anyway, I'm going to sleep on it. I will see how things look in the morning.
    - Chris

Thinking on it is always a sound plan. You should also take Petrel on a little jaunt around the lake tomorrow or Saturday irregardless of the state of the paint. It'll help.

ETA- I sure wish I had that option right now.
    Last edited by jsjpd1; 07-14-2017 at 01:09 AM.
    -Jim

Sucker for a pretty face.
    1934 27' Blanchard Cuiser ~ Amazon, Ex. Emalu
    19'6" Caledonia Yawl ~ Sparrow

Getting into trouble one board at a time.

Thanks Chris, I have just ordered both Gubby books.

Quote Originally Posted by jsjpd1 View Post
    Thinking on it is always a sound plan. You should also take Petrel on a little jaunt around the lake tomorrow or Saturday irregardless of the state of the paint. It'll help.

ETA- I sure wish I had that option right now.
    Jim, now that's the best advice I've had in a long while. It's a plan. And it's good to have a reminder that not everyone can do the same. Although you still have Sparrow, as we know from the great photos of your family enjoying a day on the water, so I don't feel too bad for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Aquinian View Post
    Thanks Chris, I have just ordered both Gubby books.
    Great! I'm sure you will enjoy them.
    - Chris

Well.. I meant to take Jim's advice. I really did. I even made a resolution to stop worrying about the cosmetic stuff and just get out on the water any way possible. But I guess the fast boat thing hasn't let go of me yet. I woke up in the middle of the night thinking about it - and in particular this boat that's for sale in Bellingham:

An original, Calkins-built 26' Bartender. I don't have a place to put it, and I sure don't want to pay for moorage on two boats, but as I was mulling over it at 4:00 am this morning I had an idea. Perhaps it's more of a scheme. Details to come if it all falls into place. I don't know if it's possible yet but on the chance that I might be able to make it work I drove up to Bellingham this morning to have a look at the boat. It's nice. Needs bottom paint maybe but otherwise it's pretty much ready to go. The price is right too. If I can come up with a place to store it and if all the other stars align I may do it.

Not that getting another boat would mean doing less work on Petrel. I'm still completely committed to restoring her. This afternoon I went down and just sat in the pilothouse and thought about what I would work on if I stopped trying to get her ready to be used in some fashion, and could take the time to do it right. Finish the cabin paint project that is in progress now of course. But then haul out and deal with the hull. Add floors, replace a few frames and some planks. Recaulk the garboards. Tear up the temporary aft deck and rebuild it correctly. That would all be very satisfying.

After day dreaming on Petrel for a while I drove over the Fishermen's Terminal to look at some real working boats. One of my favorites, Fram, was moored on the West Wall so I took some photos.

That's how I would like Petrel to look some day. Not even remotely yacht-like, but well-maintained and ready to go. It's a goal anyway.
    - Chris

Way understated Chris! Petrel is beauty! now get back to what matters! fixing the major problems and getting underway!

The boat that was never sailed (or motored) never gets a chance to return the labor of love someone like you puts into her!
    Denise, Bristol PA, Oday30, Anchor Yacht Club, On tidal Delaware River. my current project; http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...0-Ducker-Resto

Quote Originally Posted by DeniseO30 View Post
    Way understated Chris! Petrel is beauty! now get back to what matters! fixing the major problems and getting underway!

The boat that was never sailed (or motored) never gets a chance to return the labor of love someone like you puts into her!
    All true Denise, and yes "get back to work" is rather to the point. But you might have to pardon my existential musings on boats for a little while longer. I suspect we all have different motivations, different ways of enjoying the water and boats here. Some people love the craftsmanship of perfect joinery and flawless varnish, and their workmanship shows that appreciation. Others enjoy sailing or rowing or paddling or other activities on the water and are happy to do it in whatever craft is most suitable for that purpose. Me? More than anything I want to wake up in some tiny cove just as the sun is starting to show over the trees, make a cup of coffee, and sit on the aft deck watching the day arrive. I haven't been able to do that in a very long time and, much as I like working on Petrel, I really miss being on the water. I don't have a therapist to talk to about it though, so you all get to hear me moan about it here instead
    - Chris

That bartender looks nice. Hope it works out how you like. Nothing wrong with a wandering eye when it comes to boats. I was looking forward to seeing a few pics of you happily motoring around the lake today though.
    -Jim

So you saw that thread about marriage enders then? Not really, having come this far it sounds like you have a stayer on that front. I do see a risk that the Bartender will turn out to do everything you ever hoped Petrel would eventually do, but without all the heartache, expense, uncertainty and hard work in the meantime.

That bartender looks nice. Hope it works out how you like. Nothing wrong with a wandering eye when it comes to boats. I was looking forward to seeing a few pics of you happily motoring around the lake today though.
    Stay tuned...

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    So you saw that thread about marriage enders then? Not really, having come this far it sounds like you have a stayer on that front. I do see a risk that the Bartender will turn out to do everything you ever hoped Petrel would eventually do, but without all the heartache, expense, uncertainty and hard work in the meantime.
    I hadn't read it until now but I see that the Paul-and-Kat show is in fine form. No, I'm not likely to cause marital discord by suggesting that we buy another boat. Actually when I started talking about it she suggested that we buy this:

Very much out of our price range, but she does have an eye for a pretty boat doesn't she? But after 17 years together and 11 married I think it's safe to say that the only way this one ends is when one of us is carried out in a box. Although I did drink the last of the lemonade last week before learning that she had been using it to sweeten her iced tea, so perhaps I should see how she feels about it now!

As for the Bartender replacing Petrel - that's something I've thought about too. For any number of reasons I don't want a boat that fills a similar niche (c.f. Yeadon's point about one of each type being acceptable). No point in having two boats that do the same thing. I don't think that is the case here though. The Bartender is marginal as a boat for a family. And for my wife in particular. She loves cruising but a certain level of comfort is required. I could probably convince her to spend a weekend aboard the Bartender but that's about it. And she wants to go to Princess Louisa Inlet, a trip which takes at least a week there-and-back even in a 20kt boat.

But the real reason I don't see the Bartender replacing Petrel is that while I like the Bartender design - it's handsome and seaworthy - and I like the idea of being able to get away for a weekend to places that we couldn't reach in a slow boat, it's not the boat I love. I've wanted an old workboat since I was a kid and now I finally have one. I can sit and look at Petrel for hours. I don't mind the expense or the hard work on her at all. But I'm realizing that it's going to be another year (or two) before she will be ready for family cruising and I don't want to wait that long.

My new motto: Life is short. Go boating now.
    Last edited by cstevens; 07-16-2017 at 08:21 AM.
    - Chris

My new motto: Life is short. Go boating now

I like that Chris !

Heck, if that's the boat your wife suggested have I got a deal for you!
    -Jim

Heck, if that's the boat your wife suggested have I got a deal for you!
    I'll bet!

And here's what you asked for:

Took Petrel for a little cruise around Salmon Bay and got a few photos of her out on the water.
    - Chris

Woo hoo!
    Denise, Bristol PA, Oday30, Anchor Yacht Club, On tidal Delaware River. my current project; http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...0-Ducker-Resto

A few more photos just because...

- Chris

Looks good. How do you like the new steering station?
    -Jim

Looks good. How do you like the new steering station?
    Well, I like having it for sure. It's very handy for maneuvering and docking. But it's at an awkward height for general use. If I stand on the aft deck the wheel is at an ok height - a bit low but not too bad - but the pilothouse blocks visibility to port. If I step up on the side deck I can see over the pilothouse but then the wheel is too low. Alternately I can duck down and look through the pilothouse windows, but that's not very comfortable. I think a stool of the proper height might help though.
    - Chris

Looking good there Chris!