Page 20 of 58 FirstFirst ... 1019202130 ... LastLast

Thread: Restoration of the BC Salmon Troller "Petrel"

Default Re: Restoration of BC Salmon Troller "Petrel"

More paint today...

...and bleeding the new hydraulic lines.

- Chris

https://fvpetrel.wordpress.com

Life is short. Go boating now!

Your steering station is looking good. Is it all bled and working as it should?

I've been using Pettit EZ prime for the spot priming as I'm sanding the topsides. Probably no better than Rustoleum but I like that it dries quickly enough that I can work in between these incessant rain showers. I quit when the light show in the sky started tho.

Your steering station is looking good. Is it all bled and working as it should?
    Thanks. I got one side bled before I had to head out this afternoon. Hoping to get the rest done tomorrow but it's really a two person job so I'll have to see who I can find to help in the morning.

I'm amazed that you are even trying to get paint on Snoose right now. I remember having Savona hauled out one spring with similar weather. She sat. And sat. And sat. Finally I just decided to get one coat on whenever I could and put her back in. The next window was at 6:00 am on a weekday morning so I called in every boating favor I could and rounded up a group of people willing to paint at that absurd hour. We got it done but it was a near thing.
    - Chris

looking good Chris !!

I'm not really painting yet Chris, just spot priming as I sand. And even that was done during that short few hours in the 70's the other day. The next few days look relatively dry, maybe by the time I'm ready for the finish paint the humidity and dew point will have dropped a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by ron ll View Post
    I'm not really painting yet Chris, just spot priming as I sand. And even that was done during that short few hours in the 70's the other day. The next few days look relatively dry, maybe by the time I'm ready for the finish paint the humidity and dew point will have dropped a bit.
    Makes sense. I hope you are taking advantage of this perfect morning to make progress! I finished bleeding the steering lines this morning. Not perfect but it works fine for now. I really need to make a rudder stop though, as right now the rudder arm is just stopped by the cylinder - not ideal. Another project for the list. Got another coat of paint on the cabin side as well but not much to see with either of those projects at this point so no photos. But after finishing up on Petrel I took a trip to look at a couple of boats at Lockhaven Marina:

A neat little tug named Isswat:

And White Spruce, an ex-BC Forestry Service boat that is currently for sale:

Nice way to spend a morning.
    - Chris

Good looking boats.
    -Jim

Sucker for a pretty face.
    1934 27' Blanchard Cuiser ~ Amazon, Ex. Emalu
    19'6" Caledonia Yawl ~ Sparrow

Getting into trouble one board at a time.

Turns out that Isswat has a very nice tumblr blog with photos of restoration and upkeep. Worth a perusal. Some great work done and way better photographs than I have ever accomplished for Petrel...

http://isswat.tumblr.com/
    - Chris

First coat of paint on the cabin top this morning.

I hope it dries a bit darker than it looks in the photo. It's pretty close to the cabin side color right now and I want more contrast than that. It's Rustoleum "Sand Beige", which I'm hoping will come out a bit more sand and not quite so beige. We'll see.

Then I took a trip up to Bellingham to pick up an old woodworking bench that I found on craigslist.

I've finally gotten the basement at the house cleaned up enough that I can set up a decent workshop. This bench isn't the perfect thing, but it's functional, sturdy and was a lot less expensive than the $3,500 Roubo style bench that I was lusting after a while back. But the real clincher was that the seller also had a child's size workbench as well.

It's no toy - it weighs more than the full size bench. So now Dash has a place to work on projects as well. It's a bit big for a four-year-old but I expect he will grow into it.
    - Chris

What a great pair of finds.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

A great find

-Dave

Thanks Nick and Dave - yes, I'm pretty happy with both benches but particularly with the one for Dash. I'm looking forward to many hours of father-son projects with it! Somewhere I have an old Lightning pond sailboat that a friend gave me. It needs a little work but Dash loves pond sailing already, having done it once last year, so I think we will spend a couple of weekends cleaning that up and take it down to the model boat pond at the Center for Wooden Boats.
    - Chris

Excellent find! My son is Dash's age as well and can't do much with a hammer or screwdriver right now but he enjoys hanging out in the shop, as does my 2 year old daughter. Both have their own earmuffs and love to make sawdust piles. Worth every moment, even if it slows me down!

Back to work on the boat. Paint is done for now:

This patch, in addition to finishing the outside helm, is a test for the deck and cabin paint colors. I'm pretty happy with how it looks so now I just need to finish installing the Morse controls and then I can move on to stripping and painting the rest of the pilothouse and trunk cabin.
    - Chris

Looks like a good choice of colours.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeadon View Post
    Probably the greatest thread in the history of the WoodenBoat Forum.
    Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Gibbs View Post
    Probably the greatest post in the history of the WoodenBoat Forum.
    -~: Roughshod Riding Rabble Rousing Rebel :~-
    Peer of The Most Ancient and Noble Order of the Lauging Polar Bear

More helm progress today. Stripped the Morse control unit for polishing and general fettling...

...and got it installed.

With that done the outside helm is about finished. A few details and final adjustment left to do, and I still need to install the fuel fill deck fitting, but that will have to wait until after the Mother's Day weekend. Lots of plans over the next couple of days.

Then I got a treat in the mail:

Plans for a 36' troller very much like Petrel, from Robert Allan Ltd. The construction details are basically identical to Petrel but with some interesting and useful information - like specs for floors on every other frame, something that Petrel does not have but which I am planning to add. I expect the plans will be very handy when I get back to working on the hull.
    - Chris

Wow! All very cool stuff. Your helm station is looking really good, including the colors. How did you come by the plans? It looks just like Petrel. Do you know that Allan designed her?

Thanks Ron. I don't know who designed Petrel but Robert Allan offers "heritage plans" intended for model builders in exchange for a donation to Vancouver Maritime Museum. Their 36' troller/gillnetter looked pretty similar to Petrel so I figured the plans would be informative. If anyone else is interested they have a few historic B.C. workboats on their site here: http://ral.ca/info-for-modellers/.
    - Chris

Cool score on the plans! And no details progress.
    -Jim

Thanks Jim but...

And no details progress.
    ? If you mean no boat work this weekend then yes - no chance of that. Dash and I are going shopping for a present for Mom tomorrow. And it's my mother's birthday tomorrow as well, and then brunch on Sunday followed by whatever my wife wants to do (TBD but probably having to do with plants). And then she has tickets to see U2 on Sunday night while I watch the kid. So I don't expect I'll see Petrel again for a while!
    - Chris

No, I mean auto correct sucks! That was nice progress too. Couldn't you tell?
    -Jim

Quote Originally Posted by jsjpd1 View Post
    No, I mean auto correct sucks! That was nice progress too. Couldn't you tell?
    Ha! Ok, that makes more sense now.
    - Chris

I'm scarcely an expert. One summer, 1970, when I was going to university I worked for BC Packers at their Skeena Sunnyside Cannery. It was just a warehouse, BC Packers had bought out Nelson Bro the year before and were using the big Port Edward cannery down the river. A lot of the gillnetters were rigged for trolling. On the way north, they would fish. One boat was already well ahead when he came on the fishing grounds. He was good, the boat looked more like a big fiberglass yacht There were a few double enders with Chrysler Crowns but they were company boats, fished by native crew. Yours could have been one of those, and crossed the line after a buy back.

I'm scarcely an expert. One summer, 1970, when I was going to university I worked for BC Packers at their Skeena Sunnyside Cannery. It was just a warehouse, BC Packers had bought out Nelson Bro the year before and were using the big Port Edward cannery down the river. A lot of the gillnetters were rigged for trolling. On the way north, they would fish. One boat was already well ahead when he came on the fishing grounds. He was good, the boat looked more like a big fiberglass yacht There were a few double enders with Chrysler Crowns but they were company boats, fished by native crew. Yours could have been one of those, and crossed the line after a buy back.
    Yes, what I have heard is that she was a combination boat, rigged for trolling and gillnetting, and that she was retired in a buy back. But all of that is anecdotal. I don't have any real history on her.
    - Chris

My hobby is repairing old woodworking machinery and hand tools. Sometimes , I even use them. I find learning where and when the tool was made,make's it pretty interesting. I hope you find your history.

BTW, your Record block plane, whether it's #09 1/2 or #0220 is much better plane than the Stanley #9 1/2 or#220 of it's time period. The Record has more bedding area. The 9 1/2s have adjustable throats, the 220s don't. The lever caps are too short on both brands, so they benefit from a Lee Valley heavier PM VII blade.

BTW, your Record block plane, whether it's #09 1/2 or #0220 is much better plane than the Stanley #9 1/2 or#220 of it's time period. The Record has more bedding area. The 9 1/2s have adjustable throats, the 220s don't. The lever caps are too short on both brands, so they benefit from a Lee Valley heavier PM VII blade.
    Good to know - thanks! I'm done with the woodworking for a little while though. Back to stripping paint.
    - Chris

First really nice day here in a very long time, so of course I spent most of the day under the tent on Petrel. Finished the last adjustments for the outside helm this morning then bedded and fastened the deck fill:

Now back to paint prep for the cabin, starting with stripping the pilothouse/cabintop join so I can fillet and tape to patch things up here.

In some spots the fiberglass is lifting at the edge so I removed the loose sections:

Fortunately the wood underneath is still in good condition. Then I spent some time sanding the aft bulkhead:

I did get out from under the cover at lunch and sat watching the boats for a while - just in time to see the lovely Orba go by:

Nice day to be on the water. Good incentive for me to get some paint on the cabin and take the tent off so I can get out there too!
    - Chris

Back of the cabin actually looks really good Chris.
    -Jim

"Good incentive for me to get some paint on the cabin and take the tent off so I can get out there too!"

The best part Chris, well done! / Jim

Good productive day Chris, must feel good. Tell me, at the helm station theres two small holes what are they for?

Back of the cabin actually looks really good Chris.
    Thanks Jim. The wood is in good shape but the nails fastening the staves at the bottom are gone so they will need to be refastened before paint. But overall not too bad.

The best part Chris, well done! / Jim
    Thanks! Getting close...

Good productive day Chris, must feel good. Tell me, at the helm station theres two small holes what are they for?
    Thanks Andrew. Yes, it's great to be making progress. The two holes are from the handrail. I removed the aft section of it as the support blocks were rotten. I need to replace the whole thing but one thing at a time...

Something a bit different today. We recently picked up a double paddle canoe of unknown provenance. It's a neat little boat but it's a bit rough and I had some questions about whether it would even float, much less carry me, my wife and son Dash. So today we loaded up and went to the Arboretum, a local wetlands area, to try it out.

It was all a bit of an experiment since I have no experience with paddling (oars only) but first time for everything. And it was an unqualified success. The boat didn't leak, floated fine and had plenty of room for all of us with enough freeboard for protected waters at least. It was a perfect way to get the family on the water. We saw turtles, geese, ducks, herons and rafts of lily pads. We saw a carpet of fluffy seeds blowing across the surface. We saw fish jumping in the sunlight and ducked under logs and low bridges to navigate down quiet channels.

All in all a perfect day!
    - Chris

very cool Chris !

Thanks Wojo. I forgot the best part though. Driving home my wife tells me that Dash has named the canoe "Appleby". I have no idea where that came from but there you go - it has a name now
    - Chris

Warning Chris... paddle sports are also addicting!
    Denise, Bristol PA, Oday30, Anchor Yacht Club, On tidal Delaware River. my current project; http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...0-Ducker-Resto

So I'm finding Denise! I'm already planning our next excursion. I'm thinking Sammamish River.

https://rootsrated.com/seattle-wa/fl...ammamish-river

But we have many, many great places to paddle around here even without getting out into open water. Sloughs and bays and rivers and lakes everywhere.
    - Chris