Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 34

Thread: How Does Your Garden Grow?

Default Re: How Does Your Garden Grow?

Might as well revive this for another year. It's early spring here, at 8000 ft. in the Medicine Bow Range, Wyoming.

The garden, fenced against deer, is on colluvial slopewash from a steep mountain front, very rocky and not very fertile. Since I put in raised beds, I pick one and screen the soil.

That's the rock from about four shovelfuls. I've been picking out the larger ones each time I plant, so what's left is small (and sharp).

Finished the bed and hauled the rock out to the rough. The near bed has stuff that survived the winter: scallions, lettuce, pac choi, spinach. I've been harvesting it and weeding a bit. Nice to have greens this early.
    If you welcome devils to your house, then you must feed them Afghan proverb.

I love this thread.
    "Please be more specific or we'll choose to order a cheaper bilge-rat to replace you."

~seanz

Quote Originally Posted by McMike View Post
    I love this thread.
    Same here!

Peas have germinated. Waiting for beans. Been very cold, windy, rainy for a week and may continue. The winter moths seem to have failed to appear so my white apple tree has been allowed to bloom. The crows will be happy come the end of June. Bought a couple Roma tomatoes for a planter. The soil in the garden harbors verticillium wilt so must wait three years to plant nightshades there. Garlic's looking good.
    A society predicated on the assumption that everyone in it should want to get rich is not well situated to become either ethical or imaginative.

Photographer of sailing and sailboats
    And other things, too.
    http://www.landsedgephoto.com

I'm itching to get mine going but it's been so dang wet I've been holding off. Would like to have potatoes and a few other things planted by now. All 247 of my fall-planted garlic survived a rather harsh winter (well down into -20's F.) and are looking good. We're down to the last few pounds of last years spuds, and the last few bulbs of garlic. They kept well. Should have a bit more garlic this year.

Have some 2nd year kale going to seed. I'll gather some of it and let some go. I enjoy arranging new planting around whatever's coming up from previous years. To a point.

Apple blossom looks good, pears not so much, although, one young pear that I planted is blossoming for the first time.

I had a problem with marmots in the garden last year and this year there seems to be more of them and they're bolder. Anyone have a Jack Russell that I can borrow?

Quote Originally Posted by J P View Post
    I had a problem with marmots in the garden last year and this year there seems to be more of them and they're bolder. Anyone have a Jack Russell that I can borrow?
    Marmots are a lot smarter and harder to discourage than most garden raiders. Around here, they are found only at high elevations (I live at about 8000 ft. and the marmots above 9500). Working in the mountains for many years, I had more stuff damaged or stolen by marmots than by bears. They love to chew on horse gear and can gnaw into a tent in just a few minutes. I've also seen them descend the rope to reach a hanging food cache.

Anyhow, a few years ago I extended the garden to grow more spuds, turning the ground and raking out rocks. But it's still rocky as hell.

So I'm going to screen out the rocks, as I just did for a raised bed. Probably half this year and half the next I'll see how my back holds up.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip-skiff View Post
    Marmots are a lot smarter and harder to discourage than most garden raiders.
    Yes, so it seems. Your words are not very encouraging.

This bunch lives in a large rock outcrop about 200ft back and 100ft up on the hill behind the garden (elev. 4000ft here). Initially, I think they come down for the clover as they mow all that before starting in on any vegies. So far my tactics have been fairly passive other than the occasional rock chucked. I need to move some wood piles that they use for cover and emboldens them. Also thinking about trying electric poultry netting but itd be a job keeping vegetation down around it. Maybe Ill plant them their own clover patch up in the rocks. That's about all I got for 'passive', after that ...

Quote Originally Posted by pipefitter View Post
    Have you tried self watering containers outdoors? The reason I use them is because it gets them away from soil pests and whatnot. They can also be raised higher yet on benches, where they are easy to inspect for those critters that are hard to find otherwise.
    I built a few, out of kitty-litter buckets, and tried them in the greenhouse. Outdoors, they're too vulnerable to frost (once the water freezes, they aren't self-watering.) Had mixed resultsthere are photos a couple pages back. I was hoping that cukes and beans wouldn't catch the mosaic virus that infests my greenhouse, but they did, alas.

Got a bed ready to plant, with a trellis for peas, and then did the dumb thing I do every year: I planted the seeds before laying the soaker hoses.

The pieces of plastic grid are to keep the birds from pecking out the peas as they sprout.

Then I started screening rock out of the potato patch. I've raked rocks out for three years, but a rake doesn't go very deep.

Here's the harvest of rock from the first strip.

Nine more strips, maybe ten, to go. Makes me wish I had sons. Anyhow, it's good that I got the first bed planted, because we woke up to this:

Snow peas. What are the birds, Bullock's Orioles maybe?
    Had a little of the white stuff on the ground here too yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by J P View Post
    Snow peas. What are the birds, Bullock's Orioles maybe?
    Right. There are three males and two females trying to get nectar from the hummingbird feeders.

This British bloke has quite a few good ideas .

'' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Sweet potatoes and an unwanted number of Paw Paw seedlings.
    My take is that if you poke someone with a sharp stick they'll get annoyed, if you smile and shake their hand they will be your friends.

John Welsford

Made progress on the de-rocking. Dug trench #4 this morning, which is half the potato bed.

I'll let the soil dry out, so it screens more easily. I've taken a couple barrow-loads of rock from each trench. Screening fluffs up the soil so there'll be a mound until gravity compacts it. Next step is to dig in compost and such and rake it out. Then I'll lay the soaker hoses and plant the SOB. It'll be interesting to compare the yields of the east and west parts.

Things are sprouting in the bed I planted on May 17. D'Avignon radish, top and arugula/roquette bottom. We'll likely get some frosts in the next couple weeks, and these hardy buggers aren't bothered.

Peas just popped up and I took the black plastic grids off. They are likewise unfazed by snow and frost.

Screened the soil and hauled the last load of rock out, for this year. I'll do the other half of the bed next year.

Laid soaker hoses for the peas, carrots, and greens. I'll plant the north side of the bed, then get to work on the spuds.

Added compost and such and broadforked it it in, then raked it and laid the soaker hoses.

Incidentally, since I bought a broadfork I've not touched a motorized roto-tiller.

We planted the bed this morning with Yukon Gold and Dark Red Norland. I drank a modest dram and spilled some for the fairies. There are thunderclouds looming, so I'll wait and see if Huey the Weather God gives it a douse of good Wyoming rain. Or hail. (Probably not snow.)

My rotating composter cracked, after a couple repair jobs, so I emptied it and screened the compost. Bought a new one rear) that looks like a better design as far as strength: reinforced around the hub with steel sleeves. Today, I emptied the big rolling composter (green), which is a great design. No moving parts. I just heave stuff in it and when it gets too heavy to roll easily, the compost is done.

Screening the stuff is a chore, but the result is lovely: fine-grained organic bits, ready for use. That coarse screen was left by the previous owner and is very useful, separating rocks from soil in the spud patch, for instance. Anyhow, the fibrous residue goes back into the composter for another tumble.

I made an effort at composting and am actually ahead of the game, with plenty for both the garden and the remaining garden beds.

The spuds are sprouting nicely. It looks to me as if the ones on the left side of the bed, where I screened out the rocks, are doing a bit better so far.

Last night dropped to 36F/2C. The white thingie, rear, is a new, improved row cover that can be deployed in minutes.

The first and second plantings of peas, greens and such are looking good. I started thinning the radishes and the spinach, a variety called Red Kitten (bottom right), is almost ready to pluck for baby salad greens.

Had better luck this year starting summer squash in the greenhouse. Last year I had it too warm and wet, and the seeds rotted.

Set the plants out this morning and stretched a row cover, open at the ends for ventilation. The sun at this elevation is so intense that the plants wilt the first day or two, before they get rooted.

In the empty lookin bed above the squash are some scallions and lettuce that wintered over. I cultivated around them and set up a trellis for peas.

It's fascinating to watch your work Chip, your Summer is like our Winter..... except we have zero chance of frost, ever.
    Grateful Dead

Hey Chip, how far down have you buried the corrugated metal sheets? We're having trouble with Groundhogs and rabbits chewing threw the plastic fencing like what you have above the metal and I think we need to do something like what you've done.
    "Please be more specific or we'll choose to order a cheaper bilge-rat to replace you."

~seanz

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    It's fascinating to watch your work Chip, your Summer is like our Winter..... except we have zero chance of frost, ever.
    Not sure our summer is exactly like your winter. Right now, it's 84F/29C. Last night it was 36F/2C.

It's a wonder I can grow anything at all.

Quote Originally Posted by McMike View Post
    Hey Chip, how far down have you buried the corrugated metal sheets? We're having trouble with Groundhogs and rabbits chewing threw the plastic fencing like what you have above the metal and I think we need to do something like what you've done.
    They're down about 4-6 inches. I also added some wire netting to the gate and filled in every possible entry hole. No problems so far, and we have ground squirrels and rabbits. I was using those solar gopher repellers and decided that they attract the pocket gophers. Haven't used them this year— no gophers.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip-skiff View Post
    Not sure our summer is exactly like your winter. Right now, it's 84F/29C. Last night it was 36F/2C.

It's a wonder I can grow anything at all.
    It's 22 C here today, last night was 13 C. Very mild. Our Summer is harder ,hot ,humid with heavy rainfall.
    Grateful Dead

With a night temps in the 30s (F) I got the new row cover deployed over the potatoes. I found material that was wide enough to do a one-piece cover– the old one had three pieces and leaked air. It rolls up on a length of thin-wall PVC pipe.

I do like to watch things grow and it's a butt cramp to get on my knees and peer under the edge. Here's a view of the summer squash I just set out. The ends get raised for ventilation during the day.

Took a photo under the row cover. The potatoes look happy.

I just wish it was easier to look at them.

A week on, and things are growing fast under the row covers.

Once they start blossoming, I'll leave the covers off for a bit so pollination can take place.
    Last edited by Chip-skiff; 07-08-2017 at 01:36 PM.

Things grow really fast under row covers. Just uncovered the spuds, which had filled the space under the cover:

The summer squash, too, was getting a bit cramped under the dome:

The one with the silvery pattern is an Italian heirloom, Costata Romanesco, that does better here than most of the hybrids.

Just ate my first sugar snap pea this morning. A taste of summer—