Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234 LastLast

Thread: How Does Your Garden Grow?

Default Re: How Does Your Garden Grow?

Quote Originally Posted by Chip-skiff View Post
    Good-looking plants. I usually transplant tomatoes earlier, before they get rootbound in the wee cup.

A couple weeks into the frost here. Still getting nice spinach, lettuce, carrots, beets, pac choi, radishes. The 4th planting of peas is pooping out. I'm starting a new generation of tomatoes for the greenhouse. Also thinking about what to plant in the self-watering thingies. Carrots did okay, but I won't need carrots for a while. The cukes and beans got mosaic virus despite being planted in bagged nursery soil.

Wonder how garlic would do?
    Garlic does great in them, but in cooler parts of the year, you may have to hold back on filling the reservoir and let them sort of air out between fillings. I usually use the touch test. If the soil feels dry a couple inches down, I add water, or cycle it more than keeping it too moist.

Here's the haul from the container I actually did water. I tried three different approaches to the containers. This one I planted 4 slips and turned the vines in to self propagate once, no plastic mulch cover, altho that would have helped with the watering. These were heaving up well above the container and I was having to mound the soil up to keep the tubers covered from the sun. Still, no money, no nutrient. . . . just water.

I make my own potting mix from peat, aged and screened-pine tree bark, perlite, worm castings, dolomite (about a cup per cu ft.), greensand, bone meal and epsom salt. 'Finished' compost would be a good substitute for the worm castings.

Also, any time I have had disease or pest problems, it was from store bought starter plants. Ever since, I start everything from seed.
    Last edited by pipefitter; 09-25-2016 at 07:11 PM.

Tomato factory is on it's way. First time trying Fall season. Trying single stem this time as well. These are indeterminate. Brandywine, Black Giant, German Johnson and Mortgage Lifter. They were not all transplanted at the same time. Two one weekend, and two, two weeks after that. Already have flowers so we'll see if this is a bust or not.

The two larger plants have reached the fertilizer bands that are buried near the edges of the container. It helps to promote root growth sooner, or at least it seems to.

Nice looking tomatoes. I thought about the plastic mulch, but I like to see the soil. Gardening appeals to my neolithic side.

The fourth planting of peas never had a chance: two weeks of frosty nights, which kills the flowers. But the spinach, lettuce, pac choi, beets, and carrots are still doing fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip-skiff View Post
    Nice looking tomatoes. I thought about the plastic mulch, but I like to see the soil. Gardening appeals to my neolithic side.

The fourth planting of peas never had a chance: two weeks of frosty nights, which kills the flowers. But the spinach, lettuce, pac choi, beets, and carrots are still doing fine.
    If I lived in your climate, I probably wouldn't use the plastic. Here, it saves a lot of water. The other reason for it is so that the fertilizer bands (3 cups organic) and the dolomite (1-2 cups) and other amendments like epsom salt doesn't get washed out by the heavy rains we get here. I will not have to add any additional amendments to these throughout. Less nutrient runoff etc.

Pipes, I have 12 potted tomato seedlings to go into the ground but I'm likely to lose some to soil borne diseases , I think I'll try a couple in containers too.

A good quality potting mix, some pelletised chicken manure, dolomite and a gallon of old compost in a 6 gallon pot ? Is that about right ? Excuse my ignorance, I've always grown in the ground before.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    Pipes, I have 12 potted tomato seedlings to go into the ground but I'm likely to lose some to soil borne diseases , I think I'll try a couple in containers too.

A good quality potting mix, some pelletised chicken manure, dolomite and a gallon of old compost in a 6 gallon pot ? Is that about right ? Excuse my ignorance, I've always grown in the ground before.
    Yes, and check the ph of your potting mix beforehand. If it's slightly acidic to neutral, use garden gypsum for a calcium source instead of lime, if you can. Also, don't mix the fertilizer in with potting mix. Isolate it in trenches a few inches below the surface nearer the containers extremities. The dolomite you can mix in, but do so before you top off the container. I usually mix in the dolomite before the last two inches of potting mix are added. It also helps if you do this at least a couple weeks before planting to let the bio from the compost get established and the ph to stabilize a bit, although, not completely necessary.

The one other specialty ingredient I keep on hand for tomatoes is calcium nitrate. It takes calcium in it's mineral form awhile to become available as plant food. Tomatoes flower quickly. Soon as I see the first flowers, I dilute a tblsp of calcium nitrate to a gallon of water and add it to the reservoir and give them a shot of it topside around the stem. Calcium nitrate is immediately available source of calcium that will thwart blossom end rot. You can usually find it at a hydroponic supplier. It's one of the key components in most hydroponic fertilizers.

I'm not gung-ho about organics vs chemical or anything. I reuse my mix and the organic nutrients don't leave much behind. It's more forgiving if there is some leftover, which makes it easier to set the boxes up on subsequent uses.

Still getting 'maters, though they are splitting from all the recent rain. No hard frost yet. Might could get another crop of lettuce and suchlike.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Thanks Pipes .
    Grateful Dead

When I was in Sitka, in SE Alaska, I visited a couple who had a greenhouse to keep the rain off (and it had a dehumidifier). Conditions there are like the west coast of NZ.

Here is proof that I've got a green thumb (and fingers to match).

After pruning tomatoes in the greenhouse.

Here are some late-season carrots and lettuce from the outdoor patch—

Bibb, red lolla, and spinach. The carrots are Deep Purple, Purple Haze, and Nelson.

That's awesome. Fresh carrots from the dirt cannot be beat. You cannot get that kind of carrot flavor anywhere else.

I have lettuce and spinach planted as well. Spinach is always a challenge to germinate here. The climate has to be just so. The lettuce I have is, oak leaf, outredgeous, and red sails. They are about 2" now.

So I planted a 10 foot row of pole beans here on Cape Cod on the second of August, after pulling up the snowpeas which had finally finished producing about a week earlier.

Today I collected 16 full length pole beans. Up to now I have managed to put away about a pound and a half of them in the freezer.

I am not much of a cook any more, so the beans in the freezer, along with about the same amount of wax beans there, may get me through the few times when I get inspired to make some kind of beef stew.

But it is the 24th of October. Hallow'een is a week away. And my pole beans are still out there flowering and setting fruit. Night temps are still not low enough for the heat to go on. The beets are still leafy and green and crisp.

It's 60˚ outside. And by and large, the maples have not yet started to seriously turn and the oaks are just beginning to think about it.
    A society predicated on the assumption that everyone in it should want to get rich is not well situated to become either ethical or imaginative.

Photographer of sailing and sailboats
    And other things, too.
    http://www.landsedgephoto.com

Quote Originally Posted by J P View Post
    This evening I picked this pound of dill seed.

There's about that much more still out there. I haven't planted any dill in years and just let some go to seed every season and work around wherever it comes up the next. Same with some other herbs and kale. Next year I'll probably have to manage the dill a little more.
    What in heaven's name can one possibly need a pound of dill seed for? Caraway I could understand, but dill?
    A society predicated on the assumption that everyone in it should want to get rich is not well situated to become either ethical or imaginative.

And other things, too.

This year I am trying my hand at single stem, indeterminate tomatoes. If left to their own, indeterminate tomato plants are a real job to maintain. This is not my usual season but after last year's mild winter, figured to see how far I could take them. If they are a bust, still ok. Gives me something to do outside and I get slightly better at it each time.

This weekend I decided I needed a proper trellis for my tomatoes that didn't stand out like the timber structures and cages do since this has to reside in my front yard. I took home 3 sticks of 1" sched 40 from work and cobbled this together. I may make a more, front yard furniture looking one in the future.

Just to show how this ancient (it's a 1978 Miller 330 A/BP) welding machine of mine still welds. Honestly, it's a joy to use compared to the square wave, or inverter machines. No arc wander, nada, and it's got a 100% duty cycle at wide open and it makes about 1/10th of the noise.

Still hadn't added the strings until after this photo but they have been added since. There's plastic clips that cramp on the string and locks around the main stem.

I added these tubes at the bottom of the legs so that rebar can be driven into the turf which should keep it from getting toppled in the wind.

It's all slip fit. 4 bolts hold it together and it can be taken apart and put away.

pipefitter: Skillful welds. Always appreciate seeing your good work and ideas. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by elf View Post
    What in heaven's name can one possibly need a pound of dill seed for? Caraway I could understand, but dill?
    A pound's probably more than I "need", but it was there and ready for easy pickin's. There are lots of ways to use it, including substituting it for caraway seed as their flavors are similar.

Been a really wet month here. I need to dig up my spuds and plant garlic. I'll keep some kale going as long as I can but that's about it for my garden work until spring.

We got a couple dustings of snow. I dug the first and second plantings of carrots: three varieties of orange and one (Purple Haze) with a purple outside and orange insides, and one (Deep Purple) that's exactly that. Sliced 'em, blanched 'em, drained 'em, and then froze them on baking sheets. Just got done vacuum-packing them.

I'm pondering whether to pull the third planting or cover it with sawdust and shavings and a strip of tarp. Used to do that and dig them out of the frozen ground, perfect and sweet.

Still have lettuce, scallions, pac choi, and spinach. I'll freeze some and eat the rest fresh until we get a shut-down storm. It's been very mild for late October.

I ordered 25 bare root strawberries online. These are "Sweet Charlie." They have good disease resistance and live up to their name. In two days they were showing green. In 5 days, they have amounted to this.

I like growing these as much as eating them. They make a pretty plant. I can fit 6 of these in each earthbox. I use Holly-tone fertilizer and add red worms to the boxes. At the end of their run, when you clean the boxes out, you will find the worms still doing quite well and have even reproduced.

When these plants are done fruiting, they will set off (which is what these come from also) runners, each of which can produce 2 or more (I've gotten 4 before) plants. One year that I tried, I was successful in over-summering the propagated plants and they were the heaviest producers of all and without a dormancy stage. Half of which I lost at the last minute due to a drought I had taken for granted when I traveled up north for a week.

Nothing like vine ripened, heirloom tomatoes in the winter. My single stem trellis experiment has been doing pretty well. Brandywine, Black Giant, German Johnson and Mortgage lifter. I have to say, if I was restricted to growing only one tomato variety, the German Johnson would have to be it. It manages to cover about everything tomato except for perhaps, sauce. But this ol' boy is eating tomato sandwiches in December and I don't need any tomato sauce. Their just starting to turn.

Mrtg Lifter.

Black Giant.

German Johnson.

A little German Johnson tomato.

Quote Originally Posted by pipefitter View Post
    I have a lone raspberry bush. Have no idea if it will do anything this far south unless it happens to be some heat tolerant hybrid. I bought the plant on sale as it was looking pretty shoddy and revived it just for the heck of it.

I used to have some difficulties that I could not always reliably pin down to any sort of nutrient deficiency. Even finished compost at times was not the blanket cure for everything. So I started looking at soil ph a bit more seriously. Started out with those meters you stick in the soil and it would register erratically from one day to the next.

I got this tip from our local ag extension office on how to more reliably test ph with products that are available to the general public that do not have a laboratory in their homes. Who basically told me that those meters with the prongs you stick in the soil are pretty much junk. Basically, it's ph'ng the water that runs out of the container, or taking a soil sample and taking a solution from it, with the water that you actually irrigate with, and testing that instead.

As it turns out, my blueberry plants need a ph ranging from say 4.2-5.5. I knew that but, there was a lot more to it than just adding acidic soil amendments such as peat moss or pine bark. Coffee grounds didn't do it, nor did pine straw. Sulphur takes a long time to work, and there has to be a well established soil biology in which to process it into something the plants can actually use, which is hard to do starting out with a sterile mix, even if you do add compost to it initially. Add to that our municipal water, which ranges from 6.7-8.2 ph, only helps turn this ph goal into an unending battle.

I have both a ph meter, and the simple solution kit with the drops you add to a test sample of the water run off. I use both of them to sort of prove each other. The meter, I use to dial a more specific range. The drops I use to make sure there are no radical changes. The drops are just easier than having to re-calibrate the meter so often.

This is a test on a container soil that's been sitting open since last spring with nothing growing in it. The ph is ideal for what I want to grow but, it tells me that I should add gypsum as a calcium source instead of lime, and that I don't need a lot of it. Gypsum and Epsom salt instead of dolomite. Lime would make this near neutral soil alkaline.

So then I figure I will just call one of the blueberry farms just north of me and ask what they do. They add sulphuric acid to their water and spray the rows with it whie waiting for the mineral sulphur to work. He even went as far as to tell me that battery acid is, and would do the same thing. Well, I didn't really want to mess with battery acid more than what I would with car batteries, which is rare. So back to the extension office I go. And they instead prescribe, phosphoric acid, that you can buy in granular form rather cheaply, and add at most .5-1 tsp per 5 gallons with a pretty much indefinite shelf life. At any rate, the effects were noticeable in one week and the plants took off.
    Youngberries Pipes, no ripe fruit shown... it's been picked and eaten.

Grateful Dead

Nice pics.
    However I have seen as many as seven red deer at once in my 1/4 acre patch, so it's a bit pointless trying to grow anything edible.

I built 3/4 of mile of 6 foot goat fence for a customer once. I think deer would find it as hard to climb as a goat would.
    Grateful Dead

It's that time of year...

Jeff C

Quote Originally Posted by leikec View Post
    It's that time of year...

Jeff C
    My season is coming to an end. I managed to live on beet greens, tomatoes, lettuce, carrots, and some herbs since Oct. I did not give it the care other than water just to see what it would all do on it's own, while studying the returns vs. time spent.

For now it's strawberries, soon to be followed by blueberries. We had not enough cool weather for the blueberries to go fully dormant this season. I'm ok with that. It will allow for the bushes to fill out with new growth this year as I move them to larger pots.

Have some pineapples coming on as well. Beet greens and such work great when I can't have time to prep meals. I can add them along with the carrots to the juicer when I get home late.

This was an average haul, every 2-3 days from 4 vines. Black Giant, German Johnson and Brandywine.

Here was the knockdown tomato trellis I built for single stem tomatoes and the self watering containers. I harvested a LOT of tomatoes this year from 4 vines. Much easier to manage as single stem and they used a lot less water. I mark this system as a win. Will use it from here on out.

Pretty amazing results. I usually prune the vine tomatoes to two stems and have to keep after it, or they'd fill the greenhouse completely.

The snow melted off the outdoor garden and there's some fall-planting lettuce, pac choi, carrots, scallions, and spinach that survived -40° (F and C) temps to start greening up.

I plucked some spinach, which was a bit tough, but then I guess it had to be.
    If you welcome devils to your house, then you must feed them Afghan proverb.

At least this years garlic is sticking up through the snow and the tomato seeds are about to get started, otherwise the New England weather still sucks.

Waiting to turn the garden, start the peas.

And other things, too.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    I built 3/4 of mile of 6 foot goat fence for a customer once. I think deer would find it as hard to climb as a goat would.
    Must be wimpy deer, only 6'? The only guarantee in these parts is 10'

White Tail Deer: Why they Jump – Or Don’t

An adult white tail deer can really jump. In fact, the average white tail can jump over an obstacle that is not 5, 7, or 8 feet high but 12 or more feet high– taller than virtually any barrier deer fence. In fact, to the astonishment of deer control experts, the U.S. Department of Agriculture rates white tail deer as being able to jump 15 feet high. But deer rarely jump this high and in fact rarely jump over relatively low deer fencing–for several reasons.

http://www.invisible-deer-fence.com/...r-behavior.htm

You folks are making me jealous. We are still a long ways from digging in the Earth.

How does my garden grow?
    Upwards, mostly.

Sorry!

It is a bit of a waste of time trying to grow much here, as the red deer invade my garden every night. Had a herd of seven in once. They have a fondness for fuchsias and almost anything else with leaves. However, they do not eat daffodils, so at least I have a good show of those at the moment.

Today while I was outside, I came across my battered feral, plan B tomato plants from the beginning of this season. I cut all the rest down last week, figuring I was done with tomatoes. This plant had been broken in a wind storm so it's been growing along the ground.

It's got some monsters on it. I have not done a thing to this plant other than let it kick in it's own survival skills. I have since propped it up at least, to get the fruit off of the ground.

These will probably the best tomatoes of them all, just for me not having had my hand in it.

I go outside every other night or so and eat about a dozen berries with the intention of just eating one or two, and we know how that works into a dozen. Still, the overflow gets the best of me and I catch them just in time before being overripe.

I use these in my fruit/veg smoothies and saves me from having to add ice.

End of summer here, the heat is gone mostly and cool nights. All our tomatoes are feral with a few donated seedlings tossed in. Years ago Donn talked of tossing a few good tomatoes into the bush and ever since they just grow willy nilly by themselves.
    Salad veges and herbs still, we have harvested most of the fruit, only apples still on trees. Last crop of beans might squeeze in with luck.
    Lemon trees are groaning again and the rest of the citrus looks good too, Limes, mandarins, 3 orange species, some hybrids for interest. Couple of months yet.

Similar here, the heat has finished and the WET has arrived , about 12'' of rain over the last week so the garden is a swamp, snake beans are still bearing but everything else has collapsed ! I'll be able to get our winter garden in soon. Lemons laden , persimmons bearing heavily and the fruit bats are gorging ! The guavas are laden.
    Grateful Dead

I got 15mm out of a storm cell that mostly missed us. But we have done well for rainy this summer, tanks are still 2/3 full.

Mine are overflowing and have been all week.
    Grateful Dead