Page 1 of 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: How Does Your Garden Grow?

Default How Does Your Garden Grow?

On July 12, the potatoes looked happy.

July 13, it froze and they looked pretty damn sad

The Wolf Goddess thought it would freeze, but I checked the NWS spot forecast and they called a low of 40F. Alas! So I didn't roll out the row covers.

Digging weeds, I turned up a wee red spud.

There are still green leaves close to the ground, so I put on the row covers and will leave them a week or ten days, to see if the plants recover.

This was the first year in twenty with no June frosts, so my guard was down.

Default Re: How Does Your Garden Grow?

No frosts here even in winter but a lousy garden this year . I didn't feel up to the prep this year with chemo and radiation but I got a pile of greens in anyway.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Our place is too wet and cold to be bothering with a garden in winter. At least until the Chinese guys have bought all our farms and export all our food direct to China. Then we will work something out. Heavy frosts here in the Adelaide Hills the last couple of nights.

Winter is our best gardening season up this way.... Summer is either too hot or MUCH too wet.
    Grateful Dead

Here at just under 8000 ft./2400 meters, we average only 45-50 frost free days per year (not necessarily in a row). So I don't even try to grow tomatoes outdoors or any slow-maturing tender vegs, like winter squash.

Radishes are good—

Likewise, hardy greens such as spinach and pac choi.

Carrots, beets, and scallions do well, as does leaf lettuce. Head lettuce is more vulnerable to hail. I've got the whole layout on soaker hoses, and the near fitting has a leak. The peas are rather scraggly, not sure why. The mice were horrible last year— chewed everything off at ground level. I've got traps set, but catch one only about every third night.

Here's the south side of that bed, with roquette, radishes, carrots, beets, red and bibb lettuce, and scrawny peas.

I plant a row of radishes close to one of carrots— the radishes get harvested by the time the carrots need the space.

The first two plantings of peas haven't done well, but the most recent (left row,below) sprouted nearly 100%.

Only bed not shown has summer squash and bush beans, under a row cover. I don't like covering things up, but the frost is a harsh mistress.

How about brassicas Chip, cabbage, brussel sprouts and broccoli?
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    How about brassicas Chip, cabbage, brussel sprouts and broccoli?
    Head cabbage gets lots of wee bugs: black beetles boring tunnels, etc. The savoyed Chinese/Napa cabbage grows well. I grew some a couple years back (along with daikon, carrots, hot peppers, etc.) and made a big batch of traditional kim chee but it was so hot and pungent that no one else would touch it. I don't like brussels sprouts. Cauliflower and broccoli do okay, but also get buggy toward maturity. Kohlrabi does well, but takes lots of space.

Pac choi (청경채 or 青菜) is a brassica that works well here. I thin out whole plants twice, then cut outside stalks as it gets crowded, harvesting the mature plants before it bolts.

Yes, I find Asian vegetables very productive and useful . As is broccoli, I like it and save seed from a good side cutting variety but find nets necessary to keep cabbage white butterflies from laying eggs on it..
    Grateful Dead

Yes, I find Asian vegetables very productive and useful . As is broccoli, I like it and save seed from a good side cutting variety but find nets necessary to keep cabbage white butterflies from laying eggs on it..
    You are more knowledgeable and sophisticated than I am.

A much easier climate is all Chip but I recommend Asian greens for your greenhouse.
    Grateful Dead

A much easier climate is all Chip but I recommend Asian greens for your greenhouse.
    I've grown pac choi, kyona mizuni, stir-fry mixes, and some other varieties, in containers.

I've got 60ft of spuds that are doing well. Marmots mowed all my salad kind of stuff and all the peas. This morning I started hand pollinating the little bit of corn that I have. Don't usually grow it but the nursery where I get my plants had some starts so I put some in. They're just fun to grow anyway. Have a good garlic crop that needs to be harvested. Maybe this evening. Would have been better a week or so ago but it rained hard and I had to leave for a week on a river trip. Beans are doing OK but I lost some while I was gone. Going to put in some things for the fall but I'm pretty discouraged by the marmots. Will have to fortify my defenses for next year.

Beautiful garden Chip.

The highs have been between 105 and 115 for a month now. The basil loves it, the thyme and rosemary tolerate it, nothing else survives.

Waiting until October for cooler temps and a fall planting but the days get short very quickly by then.
    "Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast." - Alice

Pulled garlic yesterday evening. Ophios (hardnecks). Some will go back in the ground later in October for next year.

As I am often reminded in gardening, what's visible above ground does not always reflect the quality of what lays below.
    Deep thought from a bulb-head.

Garlic is a great garden crop. I used to grow it and braid the tops, to sell. But lately, I've not been able to locate garlic for sale in spring, just in fall. Our temps are so low, it winter-kills in the ground. So p'raps I'll buy some this fall and store it with the spuds or plant it in a soil bed in the greenhouse, then transplant it in early spring.

Just took the row cover off the red Norland potatoes. Four plants are dead. The rest have green leaves, so I'll weed the bed and then cover them again.

Also uncovered the summer squash (down the middle) and beans (edges) which look good. I'll weed the bed and then put the cover on.

It's been hot and some of the beets are bolting, dammit. The roots are still skinny. Guess I can chop the tops for boiling greens.

Still have half a bed unplanted. Can't wait too long, or it will get hit by frost.

Beautiful!!! I'm hoping to do the garden again next year. Depends if the kitchen is done or not.
    "Please be more specific or we'll choose to order a cheaper bilge-rat to replace you."

~seanz

Quote Originally Posted by McMike View Post
    Beautiful!!! I'm hoping to do the garden again next year. Depends if the kitchen is done or not.
    I think of the garden as an extension of the kitchen. Just thinned the red lettuce and rocquette (arugula) so we'll have a good salad tonight.

I've had pretty good results with mulching my garlic over the winter. Just have to remember to pull it back in the spring. I was a little late on that this year (was in NZ when it popped up) and lost a few that withered under the mulch after spring rains. Territorial Seed Co. has a pretty good offering of cold hardy varieties.

I laid down a thick, loose mulch and covered that with plastic. It still froze. Some of the onions I leave in the ground survive, so I'm not sure why garlic doesn't.

Anyhow, I dug out the spuds under the plants that looked dead: no green leaves showing.

These are Dark Red Norland potatoes, which aren't exactly dark red.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip-skiff View Post
    Head cabbage gets lots of wee bugs: black beetles boring tunnels, etc. The savoyed Chinese/Napa cabbage grows well. I grew some a couple years back (along with daikon, carrots, hot peppers, etc.) and made a big batch of traditional kim chee but it was so hot and pungent that no one else would touch it. I don't like brussels sprouts. Cauliflower and broccoli do okay, but also get buggy toward maturity. Kohlrabi does well, but takes lots of space.

Pac choi (청경채 or 青菜) is a brassica that works well here. I thin out whole plants twice, then cut outside stalks as it gets crowded, harvesting the mature plants before it bolts.
    Have you tried self watering containers outdoors? The reason I use them is because it gets them away from soil pests and whatnot. They can also be raised higher yet on benches, where they are easy to inspect for those critters that are hard to find otherwise.

These cabbage are about 20" above ground level and isolated by their plastic totes. Notice there is no critter damage, which is saying a lot for Florida. I was initially put off to gardening here, for witnessing the copious amounts of seven dust some would put on their in-ground gardens. I have not had to use anything since getting my plantings up and out in the open.

That's a gorgeous cabbage.

Given our summer frosts, I suspect that plants in self-watering containers outdoors would be vulnerable to damage by freezing, and hard to cover. Also, too heavy to carry inside.

Here winter lettuce, spinach and silver beet. Beetroots ready to pull. Savoy cauliflower and a few spuds still in the ground. Carrots were a disappointment but I got them in late. Citrus going gangbusters, navel and blood oranges, lemons like bunches of grapes, Mandarins, limes, tangello's, and some small native limes. A few late season apples too. Mulberries are on the move already. Pruning the last of the berries, a bit late.

The bed of summer squash and bush beans I started under a row cover are looking good.

I love the squash blossoms. I know you can eat them, but I'd rather just look at them and wait for the squash to come.

It's been hot, for this place, and spinach is bolting like mad. This is a variety called Red Kitten that I'll try in the greenhouse in winter. It bolts too fast outdoors. This bunch will get chopped, for use as a boiled green.

I just pulled the last radishes in this bed, so the carrots will have room to grow.

The sugar peas are starting to come on. I love peas and doubled up on them this year, with two trellises and four plantings.

The first planting sprouted about 50%. The second was miserable, about 15%. The third planting was close to 100%.

There are two trellised beds for peas, spinach, carrots, radishes, pac choi, and scallions, with half a bed planted at 10-14 day intervals. There's one raised bed for early potatoes, Dark Red Norland, and a big patch for Yukon Gold and Russets. They got badly frosted July 12, and are coming back somewhat.

I'll dig a few more Norland plants this weekend, as we're out of potatoes. The russets and Yukon Golds will get cellared under the basement stairs. They usually keep into May.

Late, late, late. Early peas and carrots did ok, but I did a second planting of beans, carrots, peas, and greens a few weeks ago in the hopes of a fall crop. I'm tired of having good weather into October and not taking advantage of it. I figure I've guaranteed a Labor Day frost this year.

By the way, German Butterball is a yellow potato that both yields better and tastes better than Yukon Gold. It also doesn't fall apart in soup, even after the soup has been frozen.

I might cover things tonight. There's a cold front arriving and the forecast is for 41F. When it frosted, July 12, they forecast 40.

Looked up the German Butterball spud. Apparently, besides edibility, they store well, too. I'll give 'em a go next year.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Chip-skiff; 08-11-2016 at 05:30 PM.

I'm jealous of your peas ! I love peas but while I can and have grown good crops here they usually get blown over and shredded in squalls ! If I grow telephone peas up trellises it's even worse. Really annoying .

Grateful Dead

I'm jealous of your peas ! I love peas but while I can and have grown good crops here they usually get blown over and shredded in squalls! If I grow telephone peas up trellises it's even worse. Really annoying.
    Telephone peas? Never heard the term before.

It's very windy here, but if you scroll up to the photo of the potato beds you'll see that the garden is fenced with strips of roofing and plastic deer fence above that, making a decent windbreak. There are also shrubs outside the fence, so there's not much wind damage. The hail can bugger things up, but large, hard stones are quite rare here. Just to the east, around Cheyenne, at the west edge of the Great Plains, they have horrendous hailstorms.

Tall Telephone or Alderman Peas.

Real monsters, and surprisingly sweet.

Yikes !! Those would kill! Any hail shreds a garden but those would kill the gardener !

Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Donn View Post
    Tall Telephone or Alderman Peas. Real monsters, and surprisingly sweet.
    I'll look those up, too.

Thanks.

They're a minimum 85 day plant...do you have that long?

Territorial, Fedco, Rareseeds all carry them. I got them from a neighbor, and they hit 9'. Real easy to shell, and I was averaging 8 per pod.

Black berries this year are yuge!

__________________________________________________ ________________________

Beets looking and tasting good. edible pod peas were great. Wax beans did a good first harvest but struggling with the heat.

Planted pole beans where the peas had been. They're happy.

Tomatoes suffering from this wilt. I never plant many, since it's cheaper to go to the farms and buy the two or three pecks I need for the winter's tomato sauce.

The garlic did OK but I think I'll use it for seed in the fall.
    A society predicated on the assumption that everyone in it should want to get rich is not well situated to become either ethical or imaginative.

Photographer of sailing and sailboats
    And other things, too.
    http://www.landsedgephoto.com

Quote Originally Posted by Chip-skiff View Post
    Telephone peas? Never heard the term before.

It's very windy here, but if you scroll up to the photo of the potato beds you'll see that the garden is fenced with strips of roofing and plastic deer fence above that, making a decent windbreak. There are also shrubs outside the fence, so there's not much wind damage. The hail can bugger things up, but large, hard stones are quite rare here. Just to the east, around Cheyenne, at the west edge of the Great Plains, they have horrendous hailstorms.

Your garden is so lush and beautiful. However, I am stunned by the size of these hail balls.

May I post this picture on Facebook via Instagram, with photo credit to you ( Chip-Skiff) of course???

Choose wisely -Treat kindly...

A secret to a good marriage is to have a quick mind and a slow mouth...

S/V ORCA 38' Herreshoff Ketch