Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345 LastLast

Thread: Argie 15 - Norwegian attemt

Default Re: Argie 15 - Norwegian attemt

Lofoten is on my must go list. I might end up riding the bike up there, but a summer cruise up there would be icing on the cake. Lots of pictures of that trip please!

Yes there will be pictures, and I share my adventures with the Åttring here: http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...eration-Bod%F8

First coat of paint, but I did not like the color. Its more yellow than in the photo. some irregularities need some filler too. Still a list of small tasks before launching. I guess in three weeks or so...

Sent fra min SM-N950F via Tapatalk
    Last edited by Fredostli; 05-22-2018 at 01:28 AM.

Hey Fred. You're getting there. Looks nice.

Are you working on this at your house or at another location?

Hope you have a great summer. Health issues and an ill mother-in-law are keeping me from our boat for far too long this year.

Gary

Yes family first. I always use my boats less then I plan too. Family, weather and other projects.

I work on my boat in the barn where I live. the next weeks I am spending watching paint dry.. 😁 still no real summer heat here so paint dryes slowly....

I decided to glue a piece of wood to mount the main sheet block properly in the center when using a boom. Turned it it was a nice pattern in it too 😊

Bottom up for the last time before splashing. The hull will not have a perfect finish, but I dont need it to look like a new plastic boat. To do list: One more coat of paint outside and two inside, warnish on transom and sheer, rigging, mounting rudder and benches and we are pretty close 😁

Love it. Beautiful work.

You're getting there Fred. It looks good.

Enjoy your weekend - Gary

One more week before splashing, but I let the Argie out of the shed to work on the rig. The mast support is only temporary until I find the right angle.

Last edited by Fredostli; 06-09-2018 at 04:19 PM.

Well done. Looks great.

Looks great Fred! You can spend as much time getting a perfect finish as it does to build the hull, i cant say that im too fussed for my own boats, i quite like having a "human" factor obvious, rather than "mold". Looks like plenty of adjustment for mast rake there!

Looks good Fred. I finally made it to the boat in Bellingham for a couple of weeks of work before I can get back out here in July. Relocating the windlass for a better angle into the chain locker. Big job.

Looks like spring finally made it to Bodo. Enjoy.

Gary

Bellingham, was that the big plastic ocean sailer?

Average temperature the last weeks have been only 6-7 celsius here, but it slowly gets warmer, and the paint dries ok now :-)

Google maps tell me you have a long way to travel to do work on that boat...

Yes - a long two days drive with paradise at both ends. I stay a couple of months at a time.

Hope you have a great summer and all our plans are successful.

I think the sail looks ok, and I believe its got the right shape. Unstable weather today, and I am working on the reefing system, but the forecast looks good tomorrow, so the plan is to get it on water tomorrow 😁

Officially a new Argie 15 hit the water today. I am very satisfied. Specially thanks to Todd Bradshaw designing the rig! Very light wind today but we had a light breeze too, and it feels like a stable boat. My friend with the rudder.

Last edited by Fredostli; 08-24-2018 at 01:34 AM.

You have better scenery than me! Well donr Fred, enjoy the fruits of your labour, sure she will be a lot of fun.

Can't see your images Fred.

None of them? The last post was a videolink, I linked it again now...

Decided to go without a boom. Tested only in light winds, but i like it better. This boat is about simplicity...

My brother made this video. Includes drone perspective ��

Last edited by Fredostli; 08-02-2018 at 01:52 AM.

. Nice. Where was you sailing?

In Northen Norway in a fjord on the inside of Saltstraumen Maelstrom, 40 km from Bodø.

Beautiful Fred.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Davis View Post
    Beautiful Fred.
    You did a beautiful job. Finished mine two years ago but regretfully I have to sell her. On EBAY now hoping for a buyer that will enjoy her. Fully finished ( not quite as nice as yours I admit) but ready to go with new sail, oars and all.

Have fun with her.

Thanks! Some closeup photos might show several imperfections, but it was time to splash her... One good thing about building yourself, is that you can continue improving details and finish also after the first launching. I will give the boat some more paint and detail work next spring :-)

Beautiful! I hope you have a few more chances to get in the water before it gets too cold.

She looks like she moves right along even in light airs.

Congratulations on a top-notch build!

Mike
    "near it, a small whale-boat, painted red and blue, the delight of the king's old age."

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon1 View Post
    Beautiful! I hope you have a few more chances to get in the water before it gets too cold.
    I live near the ocean, so it never freezes. Could be sailing all year, but I admit, its not temting when its below zero and snowing etc... The short season we have here makes it almost a totally waste to have 4 boats + one under restoration, and one new build planned. In addition to that I have the boats in the coastal federation i also sail with. But i love this disease BTW I am looking forward to som ICE-boating n a nearby lake also

Hi Roy

Since I now have the Argie plans I am pondering aspects of the build and considering how to go about it if and when I do.

I've been wondering about how to do the sheers. I am confused about the terminology. What I mean is the trimmy bits of wood along the top edges. I read these can be called inwales & outwales, sheer strakes, capping etc.

Many ply boats seem to have a piece glued on the outside and a piece glued on the inside. In that event you can still still see the ply end grain.

I read Dudley's blog about his boat and the wood was only added to the outside in order to make sitting against it more comfy. That makes sense to me. But I want the end grain to be covered.

So, has anyone done something like gluing a strip to the outside with a capping strip that covers the ply end plus the outside strip? I need everything about the build to be simple otherwise I'll get bogged down.

Gus

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Morford View Post
    That is one nice looking boat you're building. My gunwales are cherry and I found they wouldn't conform to the hull shape and the sheer if I left them 3/4 inch. I stripped them in half and have two pieces laminated on the outside and another two laminated on the inside.

Quote Originally Posted by GusBeare View Post
    Hi Roy

Since I now have the Argie plans I am pondering aspects of the build and considering how to go about it if and when I do.

I've been wondering about how to do the sheers. I am confused about the terminology. What I mean is the trimmy bits of wood along the top edges. I read these can be called inwales & outwales, sheer strakes, capping etc.

Many ply boats seem to have a piece glued on the outside and a piece glued on the inside. In that event you can still still see the ply end grain.

I read Dudley's blog about his boat and the wood was only added to the outside in order to make sitting against it more comfy. That makes sense to me. But I want the end grain to be covered.

So, has anyone done something like gluing a strip to the outside with a capping strip that covers the ply end plus the outside strip? I need everything about the build to be simple otherwise I'll get bogged down.

Gus
    I ended up with using clear Fir and using my table saw I took a 1x4 and cut it into two pieces approx1 1/2" thick. One I placed on the inside and one on the outside. Epoxied both in place and had them meet at the bow. Stained and spar varnish looked great.

I made a capping strip on mine. The work on the sheers is no big issue building this boat, and can be done many ways. Most important is to make a solid sheer to stiffen the hull. If you paint the boat you just make shure to epyxy the edge of the plywood well, so it does not take water.

Last edited by Fredostli; 09-24-2018 at 05:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Dodgen View Post
    I ended up with using clear Fir and using my table saw I took a 1x4 and cut it into two pieces approx1 1/2" thick. One I placed on the inside and one on the outside. Epoxied both in place and had them meet at the bow. Stained and spar varnish looked great.
    Thanks Dennis. I think that's what the plans call for. Sounds the simplest method. However that still leaves the ply end grain exposed.

skerry.jpg

This Skerry for example has a strip on the outside only which leaves the ply end grain exposed. It may not matter with the expoxy coating etc but I'm not a great fan of the look and ply end grain is a vulnerability, especially
    on a top edge where is can get dinged.

I was wondering if I could do as you did but just on the outside like the skerry and then glue a strip along the top covering the end grain and the side strip. This could then be routed to a rounded over form.

The scuppered version has the same issue. I am amazed that someone would go to such trouble and still not hide the end grain.
    I guess it's a personal thing.
    skerry-scup.jpg

If you have a router,,, something like this?

sheer.png