Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Argie 15 - Norwegian attemt

First I must say, this is fun! I think the Argie invite to personal customization. I have started to make parts for side benches. I have a question I might have to ask Dudley himself. Do you need the short side benches on the plans to give the hull enough strength, or is it mainly for flotation. I have seen photos of an Argie without this short side benches, and would like to build without it...

Roy, The messy workbench in the photo for you :-)

Sent fra min D6603 via Tapatalk
    Last edited by Fredostli; 08-13-2016 at 03:24 PM.

Default Re: Argie 15 - Norwegian attemt

I feel I should send another picture of my unswept workshop and misquote Crocodile Dundee - "that's not messy (pointing to your bench), this is messy (pointing to my bench)!!!". But I'll refrain.

Your build is really coming along well but I'm not sure I understand your question about short side benches as you seem to building long side benches anyway. Am I missing something?

Keep up the good work and keep sending pictures.

I am making side benches, yes, but not as a watertight compartment. The drawings shows this short 40 cm side-benches with plywood risers. I guess the stiffen the hull a bit in that section...

For extra boyancy I concider flotation bags when I feel I need it.

Messy as it is,, I love this place. Finally weekend and some shop-time. Have a good weekend you too😀

Looking really good Fred. At the rate you're going you'll be finished very soon. Have you given any thoughts to hull colour yet? I know that might seem to be a long way off but you'll be there before you know it.

The project Will stall 6 months when it gets to cold for epoxy. But I Will be on the water next summer. I think white or offwhite hull. I use fir on the shear, and Seat planking, but give it a Brown stain before warnish.

Looks very good! Any warping of the panels? Have you considered cream instead of white?

Have a good weekend with lots of building!

/Fredrik

A little warping lenghtways one some, but most of it dissapered while bending the panels. Cream hvite, off hvite, in that area yes.

I have some long thin spruce, and I consider making a mast of one. There Will be some knots, but it shoud be pretty strong. Maybe Split in half on my bandsaw-mill and hollow it out...?

I have not made the forward bulkhead yet. I am not really shure what to do there. The mast will be forward of the bulkhead so it must be mowed, but I would like to keep the boyancy as it is originally. Suggestions?

I have also decided to make a daggerboard, not a pivoting centerboard as many others. it takes less place, and I really dont need a centerboard in my waters.

Had a friend over to turn the hull today. Its so light I could have turned it alone, but my friend is always happy to visit the project and its ofcourse better to have some help. Hoping for epoxy temperatures tomorrow to fair it and tape it.

Quote Originally Posted by Fredostli View Post
    The project Will stall 6 months when it gets to cold for epoxy. But I Will be on the water next summer. I think white or offwhite hull. I use fir on the shear, and Seat planking, but give it a Brown stain before warnish.

I was able to continue working by tenting the work with plastic sheet and carefully setting up a heater to blow warm air through it.

I Will consider that,,, or continue with my western guitar project inside my little heated man-cave 😀

Ok then, lets learn it to fight the elements. Heating tent.

Tents can be usefull, but with the temps Freds workshop is likely to go down like mine, to 20 below freezing(or lower), the amount of condensation running of the plastic can be problematic. I found infra-red heat lamps ok on small areas, but have seen them set up over an entire boat that was sheathed in less than favourable conditions, but it can be done.
    Looking very good Fred. Is the mast stepped on the deck over a beam, with rigging?

It still on the pluss side here. When it goes below cero, I move into my heated shop and work on daggerboard and rudder etc.. The maststep will be on the bottom. I concider making a drained tube for the mast inside the forward bulkhead.

Did I say I am building with a standing lug-rig? designed by Todd Bradshaw

Last edited by Fredostli; 09-04-2016 at 01:09 PM.

I am a bit confused about how thick the runners on the bottom should be. The plans say 30 X 30 mm. but the daggerboard is just 19 mm thick, and I feel it should be the same thicness, especially on the keel runner. What did you other Argie-builders do?
    Last edited by Fredostli; 09-11-2016 at 02:46 AM.

I find bottom runners are a trade off either way you do it, you may want to take the width down a little, but taking too much off the depth will decrease any benefit they have acting as stringers to stiffen the bottom. The bottom panel on my family skiff is a little bigger in area and from 12mm ply, i did not put any runners on it, and i think that is why it is helm sensitive and quick tacking. If you are thinking of beaching regular maybe a good idea, and if your bottom panel needs the extra stiffners.

I made my bottom thicker than the others and I dont plan beaching. So I Will narrow them to fit the width of the daggerboard. It is also possible to add extra material if needed i guess

As you know Fred, its all compromise, just dont make them too thin that they may snap if snagged on anything, that 30mm square section would be quite robust, i would think maybe put a taper so that the hull joint is a litter wider than the bottom edge/face, it does not need to be (taper) on both sides of the runner either .Then again, are you intending to use screws from inside down into the skeg or just glue from outside?

I glue them and will give them several layers of epoxy

My runners are the same width as the centre board at 19mm. I also added brass strip to the bottom of the runners and the keel as my launch area would wear the runners down very quickly without the extra protection.

I used 25 mm African mahogany runners. The runners strengthen the cockpit by making the floor panels more rigid. I glued the runners on with epoxy and did not initially do anything more than epoxy and paint them for protection. After hitting a submerged rock pile near the harbor entrance, striking a floating log, and suffering normal wear and tear in trailer launch and recovery, the runners have held up reasonably well. There has been some chipping in places and we broke a piece out of the skeg. I thought about fastening UHMW plastic strips to the keel runners, but in the end I decided to cut 9 mm x 25 mm rubbing strips from a white oak and fasten them with #6 s/s screws.
    Last edited by capefox; 09-11-2016 at 09:29 PM.

The weather got a bit warmer, so i did some more epoxywork. You see a lot of runs but it will be faired ofcourse. I dont like the idea of fairing of too much expensive epoxy, so I will also use a epoxy fairing compound to make a smooth surface. I hope to fair it and prime it before the winter gets here.

the blue part here is the compound I am testing.

Last edited by Fredostli; 09-14-2016 at 08:52 AM.

Looking good but don't get too enthusiastic. Let the epoxy cure fully before scraping, sanding and especially before painting. This forum has lots of horror stories about paint not drying properly because people were in too much of a rush to get their boat finished.

Thar is a good advice Roy 😉

How do you like the color? Well its Just epoxy filler.

I like the colour. Will the final coat be the same or similar?

My plan is to paint it cream white or similar. But it was fun imagine it being blue. One nice thing building your own is that you can change color as you want, so maybe blue later :-)

What did you use as filler Fred? I have used Biltema monourethane paint over the last 2 epoxy ply builds with no problems, and it seems to be holding up quite well.

I use Two part epoxy filler from Biltema. Its a sticky resilient mess to fair out, and needs a week before fairing, but it is easy to fair when hardened. I considered using epoxy with Silica but I find it hard to get the right consistency. Often i feel it is thick enough, and then it start to run... This epoxy filler is also cheaper to use than epoxy, and I have a some good layers of epoxy first. I also consider Biltema two-part polyurethane paint. We used that on our little plywood runabout, but they have a wery limited color scheme...

I will have to look into that epoxy filler. You might try a colour tint add to a white base, i agree colour choice is very limited. Who was the last manufacturer to build a production car in orange?.....why is the consumer stuffed with a choice of white, black or silver in a majority of cases?

Last chemical job before winter cold. Hull is primed. Small areas still needs some filler before paint. Next I Will flip it and do some dry fitting of internal parts.

Nice clean lines. Good job.

I wish you would change the title of this thread to "Argie 15 - Norwegian Triumph". It's clear you were entirely successful in building a beautiful example of the Argie 15.