Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When the Village Sang

Default When the Village Sang

Imagine what it must have been like in the Madagascan village where this song was recorded.

I have loved this song for years. Give it two and a half minutes of your time, please.

I mourn our losses and celebrate the greatness of which we are capable.

Sacred harp, Celtic pipes, African, Asian, Turkish, music of the Caucasus, it's all good.

Post yours.
    Last edited by Lew Barrett; 07-10-2016 at 06:13 PM.
    One of the most enduring qualities of an old wooden boat is the smell it imparts to your clothing.

Default Re: When the Village Sang

One of the most enduring qualities of an old wooden boat is the smell it imparts to your clothing.

northern Georgia, or Mississippi Delta USA

Toumani Diabate playing the kora

Glorious, Lew.

Calls to mind the Melanesian recordings used in The Thin Red Line soundtrack. (One of the few war movies I have ever cared to see multiple times)

Love that one, Lee, excellent! When the village sings, the world is unified. (Good movie too).

Pandit Ravi Shankar, accompanied by his daughter Anoushka Shankar,

It's as hard to find original Sacred Harp as it is to find good recordings of indigenous African music.

You'll recognize this as one of the Sacred Harp tunes used in "Cold Mountain." Same sort of deal as "The Thin Red Line."

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy W View Post
    Pandit Ravi Shankar, accompanied by his daughter Anoushka Shankar,
    Nice. Ravi has pretty daughters.

Quite easy to get lost while browsing music of this sort, it's ninety minutes later than it was when I started.

Going in, this was the only traditional African music I was aware of. Unless Ladysmith Black Mambazo still counts. Some say Paul Simon ruined them. . .

Yas...

G. Rowe (Bayman)

Something for Lew so his old legs don't grow stiff.

G. Rowe (Bayman)

An African tradition that Sharde is still keeping alive now in north Mississippi.

The Turner Family Picnic

The Rhos Colliery choir, Wales, 1957.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKyN1Pg4fYE

My mother's people — Latvia — are fond of getting together to sing...

15,000 to 30,000 strong.

You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. — P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

Default When the Village Sang

This 2nd number is Pūt, Vējiņi (Blow, winds, blow). Something of the unofficial Latvian anthem. The lyrics for which, I'm told, were written by the Russian poet Alexander Pushkin. I always wondered how his work got braided into Latvian folkways.
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. — P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

There are a lot of folk/fusion forms on youtube. They run the gamut from the rare and difficult to find original styles to heavily modernized versions reliant on P basses, Ludwig kits, samplers and modern production values. That's understandable but the village didn't have Korgs. As it slips entirely away, it's worthwhile to ponder what we have lost.

Sikuri seems to have bridged a gap, crossed over to the modern world, but it has paid the price. Pre-Columbian music is a rare thing and I'm pretty sure this isn't it. But I like it.

You guys are doing great! Don't quit!
    Last edited by Lew Barrett; 07-11-2016 at 11:22 AM.

Massed Zulu music and dance are beyond compare, a supremely developed musical culture as many western musicians have learned to their benefit.

Music goes and we follow where it takes us. Johnny Clegg, an immigrant son of England, was and remains an active participant in the changes in South Africa. The London born son of a Jewish mother worked through his music, and was adopted as a Zulu as a result of his empathy. I consider Clegg to be among the best of the modern interpreters of traditional Zulu/South African music..

I won't be posting much more interperative stuff but I thought he belongs here

Lee, I just bought the CD that contains the chants. I had to bite my lip as it coat almost $30, but I NEED it!

Quote Originally Posted by Old Dryfoot View Post
    Quite easy to get lost while browsing music of this sort, it's ninety minutes later than it was when I started.
    Richard, your link led naturally enough to the Baka Tour website, so I bought a download from them as well. I did that in the spirit of supporting their situation, but this tune caught my attention.

Where the hell is Duncan? I'd have thought he'd be all over this.

Thanks for your contribution, Nicholas. I'll get busy looking into my music from Europe and the Caucasus, some of which i similar to your posts. The Russian stuff tends to be surprisingly technical.

Now the following village-folk dance - the Kunbi dance - relate to both my parents, who hailed from Goa, the smallest state of the Indian Union, more precisely on India´s West Coast, south of mega-city Mumbai.

There were successive Arab invaders until 1498, when the Portuguese set foot, introduced their customs, culture and language, plus set up trading routes to the Far East ....with their reign ending in 1961.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2k3igyA03k

The Kunbi tribe is believed to be the oldest tribe of Goa. This tribal community is industrious and hard working, with the advent of the Portuguese rule in Goa these people originally Hindus, were converted to Christians. However their culture and rituals have a touch of Hinduism.

The Kunbi dance is a famous dance with the Kunbi women dancers dancing to the beats wearing brightly colored Kunbi saris. This saree was originally worn by Kunbi and Gawda tribe women who were basically paddy field workers. This community is basically closer to nature. This is the main reason the drape of this saree is simple, the length is just below the knee and gives freedom to the Kunbi workers to carry on with their daily chores and hard field works. Though the saree is not easily available in the market nowadays, these tribal women still adore this drape of saree and prefer wearing it the same way, but using other cotton sarees or even synthetic sarees.

Originally the Kunbi saree was dyed in red and black and woven in small and large checks. The dye was obtained from recipe of iron ore, rice kanji (starch) and vinegar. All this abundantly found in Goa. This saree was originally worn without the choli; however it was worn with a simple blouse having puffed sleeves. The traditional Kunbi women used to adorn herself with simple glass red and green bangles and with strands of black beads necklace.

Although this saree has got its traditional roots and is considered very ethnic, the weave on the saree is simple checkered look, differentiating it to be in the class of geometric designs from the textile designers point of view. The saree is almost extinct in the lights of modernization. As most of the members of the community are moving towards greener pastures, this garment has lost its glory. With the literacy rate being improved in the state of Goa, members of this community prefers to have white collared or government jobs rather than being agriculture producers.

- See more at: http://www.fibre2fashion.com/industr....O1Dq7R5r.dpuf

Water drumming.

Once more, the Baka of Cameroon.

And this, from the Banks Islands, Vanuatu.

Fun!

I guess Ima gonna be a jerk - several of the responses on the Pisotorious thread, never mind the other shooting threads in the bilge, had me quite annoyed; such self regarding racist bile. But I cannot engage stupid constructively, so held my tongue (ahem).

Anyways. Here's some of those 'dark Africa' folk, travelling 7,000 miles to put out a fire (Ft.McMurray) our lazy white entitled butts were too busy collecting welfare, tweeting, and posting instagram to fight.

An upscale version of village music from Goa, India, that appeals to certain audiences....... despite the fact that serious in-figthing is underway regarding tha attire worn by the ladies (Northern India´s shalwar and kameez)...... nevertheless here goes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Jes3AqvnMI

Kecak - Monkey Chant from Bali

I rather be an American than a Republican.

Just imagine the "village" stomping, dancing and clapping together at the pub, dancehall or wedding.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Mongolian throat singing.