Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23413 ... LastLast

Thread: Shooting Brakes

Default Re: Shooting Brakes

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    Do you have this new one,Lew , the levorg. I haven't seen it yet . I don't like cvt by reputation but I quite like the way they drive. Well.... in the only two modern cars I have driven anyway.
    Levorg? Is that French for a collective of part machine, part carbon based entities that traverse space in a cube impenetrable to all except Patrick Stewart?

Below is an example of a particularly appealing Vorg:

(To my knowledge we don't get them here...levorgs that is. I have read that newer CVTs are much better, but I don't find the idea attractive.
    One of the most enduring qualities of an old wooden boat is the smell it imparts to your clothing.

7 of 9.

Yes weird name for the subie. Strange firm in a lot of ways. They go wacky on styling every few years too.
    I read it has an 8 speed linear tronic. ..so whether that's at or cVT. ?
    I suspect it will be at with 200 kw.

Ye gods! I checked Wiki and the Levorg is listed as sharing platforms with the Legacy and the Impreza....so, it really is a Legacy with and Impreza nose bolted on? Not natural, just not natural...

Ok, shooting brakes. To me, they're supposed to be modded gentlemen's conveyances, so, Astons etc. Not to be confused with Estate Wagons like the Mondeo or the Legacy.
    We don't know how lucky we are....

Would it be worth importing a wagon from a range where the sedan is readily availablein the US.

For instance the Honda Accord (elegant) or Civic (quirky).
    Someday, I'm going to settle down and be a grumpy old man.

Good thought Mr Stazzer-newt....reminded me to check something. Why is it that the Vauxhall VXR gets better mileage in the UK than it does in Australia? Curious.

Anyway, we don't get the Insignia wagon downunder yet, just the sedan. even though 'we' make the motors.

Quote Originally Posted by seanz View Post
    Why is it that the Vauxhall VXR gets better mileage in the UK than it does in Australia? Curious.
    Different pollution cointrol requirements? Different prescribed test cycle? Do other vehicles come out exactly the same?

Mike

Odd, ços the wagon version is elegant where the sedan doesm't quite make it to uninspired.

Quote Originally Posted by miketaylor View Post
    Different pollution cointrol requirements? Different prescribed test cycle? Do other vehicles come out exactly the same?

Mike
    Checked another one....Vauxhall GTS. And the figure is almost spot-on. The OZ version of the VRX uses 2mpg more. Making it less 'economical' than the V6 Commodore
    by a lot and putting it into the same territory as the V8 (which isn't the GTS) Commodore.
    I think Marketing have been playing silly-buggers with the figures.
    Expect the Insignia to get a lot less thirsty when it replaces the Commodore.

Quote Originally Posted by ARW123 View Post
    Really? Volvo have stated their aim that by 2020 nobody will be killed or seriously injured in a Volvo.

Seem odd people would prefer a German pen!s extension over safety...
    Can't get in an accident if the car is always at the dealer...

Really? Volvo have stated their aim that by 2020 nobody will be killed or seriously injured in a Volvo.

Seem odd people would prefer a German pen!s extension over safety...
    Feel free to live your life in a bubble

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that" instead of being there saying "I wish I'd done that"

Quote Originally Posted by P.I. Stazzer-Newt View Post
    Would it be worth importing a wagon from a range where the sedan is readily availablein the US.

For instance the Honda Accord (elegant) or Civic (quirky).
    If I understand you, it would be difficult and expensive to accomplish. I believe the Accord wagon's last year here was 2014.
    One of the most enduring qualities of an old wooden boat is the smell it imparts to your clothing.

Based on the models mentioned here if they sell it in Australia or NZ, it's unavailable here. Take Vegemite for instance.

Owned three exclusively over last 17 years, never had an issue not attributed to normal wear and tear for cars that exceeded >250,000 miles (and that "normal" wear and tear was much less than other makes).
    Of course, you're perfectly right, you know.

A chap shouldn't give up after just the one Volvo, he should try a two (or three) more, and average out the results.

Quote Originally Posted by Lew Barrett View Post
    If I understand you, it would be difficult and expensive to accomplish. I believe the Accord wagon's last year here was 2014.
    You're right, the accord has gone - but the civic touring is doing well in BTC racing.

BMW's 3 series is another option....

Hey Lew, you do know that it's harder to get a decent sound system in a wagon, don't you?
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that" instead of being there saying "I wish I'd done that"

Good thought Mr Stazzer-newt....reminded me to check something. Why is it that the Vauxhall VXR gets better mileage in the UK than it does in Australia? Curious.

Anyway, we don't get the Insignia wagon downunder yet, just the sedan. even though 'we' make the motors.
    We just drive harder here. And there's the esky and a slab in the boot of course.

No one has suggested the Mazda 6 sport wagon. 4 cyl but reasonable performance, good economy numbers, great handling etc etc based on NZ and Aussie reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    We just drive harder here. And there's the esky and a slab in the boot of course.
    Real Aussies don't drive with the esky in the boot.

Not that i condone that sort of thing...

My two Mazdas (a '67 1500 and an '87 929 coupé) have been my favourite cars. Based on that, probably a 626 would be a good car. But I have no direct knowledge.

However, I can tell you that my son has had two consecutive Subaru Foresters, and Jenn has had no less than five consecutive Subaru Liberties (Legacies), and both think their respective vehicles are great.

The largest vehicle is the Forester. The Liberty was originally just a sedan but now comes in a station-wagon format as well. There's also a dedicated station wagon, a little larger, known as the Outback. Then they recently released a new mini-Forester called the XV. And then of course there are the smaller cars, the Impreza and the WRX (the car of choice for those ram-raiding ATMs).

I reckon it'd be worthwhile checking out what Subarus are available to you there. Their performance is good, their comfort is very good, and their safety equipment is great. (I particularly like the stereo vision which is linked to the cruise control and automatically matches your speed to that of the vehicle in front.)

Here are the Aussie versions --

Forester --

XV --

Outback --

Liberty sedan --

Liberty station wagon --
    Mike
    Visit us to see how we help people complete classic boats authentically.

8 wheeled station wagon that shoots. Does that count?

Quote Originally Posted by Zane Lewis View Post
    No one has suggested the Mazda 6 sport wagon. 4 cyl but reasonable performance, good economy numbers, great handling etc etc based on NZ and Aussie reviews.
    Another one they don't bring here. Mazda would have to be a crossover or SUV, like the CX9. Or give it up and get a Mazda3 hatch.

I'm sure glad that I have no appreciation whatsoever for automibiles. I bought my wife a 2016 Kia Soul last week. She loves it and they're selling them for peanuts. Actually quite roomy, deep discount because the color was unpopular, and I got the dealer to throw in a roof rack. I bought myself a 2016 Nissan Frontier extended cab two days ago. They're selling them for just a handfull of peanuts more. Now I won't think about automobile transport for the next six years or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Wright View Post
    I'm sure glad that I have no appreciation whatsoever for automibiles. I bought my wife a 2016 Kia Soul last week. She loves it and they're selling them for peanuts. Actually quite roomy, deep discount because the color was unpopular, and I got the dealer to throw in a roof rack. I bought myself a 2016 Nissan Frontier extended cab two days ago. They're selling them for just a handfull of peanuts more. Now I won't think about automobile transport for the next six years or so.
    6 years from a Navara? Are you a logger?

6 years from a Navara? Are you a logger?
    I'm a bit dense. Do you mean that the truck will last much more than six years unless I abuse it like a logger, or something else?

I have no doubt that I could make it last for a very long time, but I don't know how much longer I will last. The snot nosed kids who design these things keep adding in numerous electronic chips of dubious reliability.

My wife keeps a list of all the automobiles that we've owned - together we've owned 18. I owned 6 prior to marriage - the cheapest, a 1936 Ford truck cost me $15, The most expensive, a TR3 cost me $125. Can't remember the year of the TR3. For fun, the wife calculates an average purchase price on just the 18 we've owned in our marriage, it comes to $6,701 per vehicle. It includes 10 used vehicles and 8 brand new vehicles over 43 years. If we throw in the six I owned as bachelor the average purchase price would go down considerably. I'll have to calculate that sometime.

I'm a bit dense. Do you mean that the truck will last much more than six years unless I abuse it like a logger
    No, you're not dense, that's what I meant.

OK, here's what keeping easily accessible, good records gets you:

24 cars in my life, total of purchase prices equals $114,220

Average price per vehicle equals $4759

The brand new vehicles that we've bought over that lifetime include: an Opel Kadett, three Ford Ranger small pickup trucks, a Mazda GLC, a Dodge Neon (big mistake!), and now the Kia Soul, and Nissan Frontier small pickup.

The used vehicles are heavy on American Motors products: 3 Ramblers and a Gremlin. No one liked these vehicles so I could get them used cheap, and I ran them typically for three years. The cheapest, a pink Rambler American cost $35, the most expensive a Gremlin cost $650.

OK, here's what keeping easily accessible, good records gets you:
    seems a bit anal
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    seems a bit anal

anal - involving, relating to, or situated near the anus.

• (in Freudian psychoanalysis) relating to or denoting a stage of infantile psychosexual development supposedly preoccupied with the anus and defecation.

Quote Originally Posted by oznabrag View Post
    I, too have had 24 cars in my life.

Average price per vehicle equals $733.33.
    I like that! You're a good man.

I still have my dwell/tachometer and timing light. Haven't used then since 1986, I'd be happy to mail them to you, no charge.

Short for anal retentive = OCD

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    Short for anal retentive = OCD
    "Freud’s legacy has transcended science, with his ideas permeating deep into Western culture. Rarely does a day go by where we don’t find ourselves uttering a term drawn from his work: Mommy and daddy issues. Arrested development. Death wishes. Freudian slips. Phallic symbols. Anal retentiveness. Defense mechanisms. Cathartic release. And on and on and on.

As psychologist and Freud critic John Kihlstrom himself admits, “More than Einstein or Watson and Crick, more than Hitler or Lenin, Roosevelt or Kennedy, more than Picasso, Eliot, or Stravinsky, more than the Beatles or Bob Dylan, Freud's influence on modern culture has been profound and long-lasting.”

But his legacy is a shaky one. Freud has, for the most part, fallen completely out of favor in academia. Virtually no institution in any discipline would dare use him as a credible source. In 1996, Psychological Science reached the conclusion that “[T]here is literally nothing to be said, scientifically or therapeutically, to the advantage of the entire Freudian system or any of its component dogmas." As a research paradigm, it’s pretty much dead.

Many of Freud’s methodologies, techniques, and conclusions have been put into question. Moreover, his theories have even proved damaging — and even dangerous — to certain segments of the population. His perspectives on female sexuality and homosexuality are reviled, causing many feminists to refer to him by a different kind of ‘F’ word. Some even argue that his name should be spelled “Fraud” and not Freud."

#99: Those incongruous rear view mirrors on that APC remind me of the rear view mirrors mounted at the bow end of the fenders on the old Nissan Sunny. Absurd.
    Gerard>
    Everett, WA

RESIST. FIGHT THE POWER.

This thread is now officially drifted.

I thought at least half of the intent of the thread was to cover options for purchase. I focussed on how I had pursued that option, with the cost info. Cost info typically is painful and often little mentioned. I think the mention of "anal" caused the drift. Freud might say that the mention of "anal" confirms the pain, and often the guilt, associated with car purchase. Would he be correct? I don't know.