Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12312 ... LastLast

Thread: Shooting Brakes

Default Re: Shooting Brakes

Hows about classic/vintage

Or, as an investment
    Someday, I'm going to settle down and be a grumpy old man.

Quote Originally Posted by P.I. Stazzer-Newt View Post
    Hows about classic/vintage

Or, as an investment
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Put a coffin in the back - drive as slowly as you want and NOBODY will pass.
    Someday, I'm going to settle down and be a grumpy old man.

I think the best choice is a Mercedes GL, car like architecture with large wagon room. Or that awesome Benz above!

Quote Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
    I was looking at exactly that last week. Not a sleeper though, as he's got some pretty horrible body kit stuff on it. It's very, very quick. Owned by a workmate of a friend of mine.
    It appears Subarau themselves actually did sell it in Japan at one point:

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...test-road-test
    Sooty Tern Build Thread: Another Tern in the Works!
    Sooty Tern Blog: http://xflow7.wordpress.com

The smaller crossovers are just tall(ish) wagons. I love my Tiguan, and being gas, it has nothing to do with the emissions debacle. The BMW 3-series wagon is very highly reviewed, too. Some Asian options would be nice but they don't seem to be shipping anything other than sedans, small hatches, minivans, and fugly SUVs.

What are you doing about it?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    2007, about $40K

I have experience with 8 year old BMWs.
    One of the most enduring qualities of an old wooden boat is the smell it imparts to your clothing.

My first Ford Mondeo estate got to 255K miles when it was tailgated by a Lexus driven by a distraught lady racing to the hospital where her father had just been taken with a heart attack. The second one had too many bells and whistles and went at 120K miles. This one has just had an expensive replacement of the diesel particulate filter at 93 K, apart from that it just munches tyres discs and pads.

It is a much bigger car than the BMW wagon and the Mazda 6; indeed it has a certain tank like quality.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

The Mondeo is not available here. A new Ford wagon would be a trend setter as far as American vehicles are concerned.

I did do a quick Goog to see if BMW is still bringing wagons in as I thought they'd halted import. I might be wrong in that as the 3 wagon is listed in their current offerings (websote). But you know, listed below is the first listing I got on my search for "BMW Station Wagon."

Consider a Volvo V60
    www.volvocars.com/V60
    One of the most enduring qualities of an old wooden boat is the smell it imparts to your clothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Lew Barrett View Post
    Consider a Volvo V60
    www.volvocars.com/V60
    see post #7

I have a V 60, and it is a good car, my wife preferred our old V-70.

A good friend totaled his walked away from it and bought a brand new one he really likes it.

I think every Volvo I have had went over 300k, not sure what happened with Paul's, but he like chevy's!

A friend traded in his Land Cruiser for this Ford and loves it:

It's a blurry line these days between wagon, cross-over/SUV and hatchback.

I'm more of a van guy, but VW stopped making them
    Steve

Boats, like whiskey, are all good.
    R.D Culler

see post #7
    You think? I have a thing about Volvos. It falls in to the same category as the thing I have about fired green tomatoes.

My wife Lynda loves her 328d wagon. 0-60 in a bit over 7 seconds. Fantastic handling, AWD and lots of room. Oh and 45 mpg on the highway at 75-80 mph is nice too.

Last edited by Reynard38; 07-01-2016 at 01:16 PM.
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

Nice, Reynard.

I'm not up to date re VW. Can one not keep their TDI? MUST they be returned?
    "And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music." Nietzsche

consider a V-60
    I've been pricing out XC-60's right now. Good deals can be had on new 2015 models. My '06 XC-70 has got the miles piling up and I'd like to retire it to around town travel. It has easily been the best passenger vehicle I've ever owned.

Actually, ain't there some kinda rule that transplanted West Coast liberals living in Nashville must drive a Prius?!

2008 Audi A4

Quote Originally Posted by Nanoose View Post
    Nice, Reynard.

Doesn't sound like they have a fix.

http://www.autoblog.com/2016/06/29/v...ettlement-faq/

Quote Originally Posted by P.I. Stazzer-Newt View Post
    The chief virtue of the station wagon / estate car / shooting brake over the saloon/sedan version is the ability to haul gear/luggage - and its vice was the extra length.

In Europe that slot is moving towards a very different class of vehicle - the small van/car.

Renault have the Kangoo, Fiat the Doblo and Qubo, Citroen the Berlingo and Nemo, Mercedes the Vaneo, GM the Combo Ford their Transit connect derived Tourneo yada yada..........

These things are taller than traditional station wagons, shorter, and considerably more voluminous.

If you just need to move people then get a car - is you also need three bales of hay and a saddle - or a drum kit - see above.

Same situation here, but a bit of extra length is a plus for me. I don't need a vehicle that can haul large loads, rather prefer something that operates lie a car 90% of the time but can take an 8 foot length of lumber and is comfortable yet fun to drive on road trips. If I was doing serious hauling I'd get a pickup. I'm in Tennessee where pickups are referred to as Cowboy Cadillacs. Very stylish here, but not for us to drive every day. Just need a smidgeon of extra practicality.

Actually, ain't there some kinda rule that transplanted West Coast liberals living in Nashville must drive a Prius?!

Not that I am aware of. If so we are outta here.

Oh yeah, plus 1 on post #7. My Volvo story might be appropriate as a separate BROTM thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Reynard38 View Post
    My wife Lynda loves her 328d wagon. 0-60 in a bit over 7 seconds. Fantastic handling, AWD and lots of room. Oh and 45 mpg on the highway at 75-80 mph is nice too.

Like it, would do a Euro delivery too. But we'd have to come to grips with the price. I would likely buy it in "gas" mode. I'm a little put off by small Diesels at the moment. See reply to Deb's post coming up.

Quote Originally Posted by oznabrag View Post
    Here ya go, Lew, I'll sell you one like this for short money:

The last, real, American station wagon.

It has the rear-facing seat in the back, and 'wind wings' back there, too.

A 3.1 L GM V-6 has a whole boatload of giddyup, and delivers ~27 MPG on the highway, even if you're in a hurry.

Just say the word, pal, and I can have her on your doorstep in about 13 hours.
    Love to see you, but leave the car and take the plane. I'll pick you up at the airport and we will have the time of our lives. I have everything you need here!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lesser View Post
    2008 Audi A4

A thought but prefer to buy new and keep a long time. Would consider a CPO vehicle though.

Quote Originally Posted by Nanoose View Post
    Nice, Reynard.

There is no fix. They are getting ready to take back the better part of 500,000 vehicles. They say they will have a fix, but their time is up. The EPA has adopted a hard nosed stance, and frankly, I think they earned it. It's a shame because absent the noxious emissions, the vehicle is perfect for us.

If I understand the settlement, VW must offer us high (retail) book and will then pay us a bit over $8000 in compensation. We can take that or wait for a fix, which they promise to have. But any fix will reduce economy and performance, and may even eat into cargo space. The fix being undefined at this time makes taking that route a gamble. If I understand the formula (as it bears on us) we'd have had the use of the vehicle for three years at a total cost to us of about nothing apart from fuel costs. I say take the money and run. We'll never get a better deal than that if we keep the thing and who knows what the outcome for these cars will be?

By the way, the VW gas powered wagon would be the same car with a 1.8 liter turbocharged gas engine and we could probably snag a new one for $21K plus T&L. It's a consideration as we like the car, just not the emissions or its future,
    Last edited by Lew Barrett; 07-01-2016 at 05:40 PM.

There is no fix. They are getting ready to take back the better part of 500,000 vehicles.
    A more pragmatic approach from a pollution standpoint would have been to fine the absolute living **** out of VW but allow the vehicles to remain in the 'fleet'. What additional amount of pollution will be imposed upon the environment by forcing VW to take a half million vehicles back? While the above is certainly not in the letter of the law, I'm sure VW would have been open to a negotiated settlement. . .

A more pragmatic approach from a pollution standpoint would have been to fine the absolute living **** out of VW but allow the vehicles to remain in the 'fleet'. What additional amount of pollution will be imposed upon the environment by forcing VW to take a half million vehicles back? While the above is certainly not in the letter of the law, I'm sure VW would have been open to a negotiated settlement. . .
    Exactly. Sending them all to the crusher..... It's obscene.
    Theres plenty of aftermarket roof racks for wagons around, I put Thule on mine and they're so quiet I stopped taking them off.
    Also most modern cars do have tie down points on the ends in the former of a tow eye. The eye screws in to a hidden thread behind a pop out in the bumper.
    Last edited by John B; 07-01-2016 at 05:34 PM.

Agreed. It's not at all clear that the solution is cleaner than the problem. Maybe fix what they could in software, pay compensation to owners, cease production ( a big hurt right there) and string Ferdinand Piech up by his gronicles.

It's nice to see three people in a row post in accord. John, you posted while I was writing my following comment. Speaking of Accord, Honda doesn't seem to have a wagon either. However, believe it or no, the Ridgeline has a lot of appeal to me. I'm not sure how Lindy would feel about it though.

It could be a Subaru though I would need to drive one again. I dislike CVTs..

Do you have this new one,Lew , the levorg. I haven't seen it yet . I don't like cvt by reputation but I quite like the way they drive. Well.... in the only two modern cars I have driven anyway.

You don't have them there I'm sure, but I have a thing called a Holden Adventra. Holden being GM. It's a big wagon, slightly raised suspension, all wheel drive and a big fat 5.7 litre V8 gas engine. In truth it's a bit heavy to drive and sucks lots of gas. But I think it could have done well in the US if had been marketed there. It's 8 or 10 years old now I think. Can't do a picture from my iPad. We have quite a range of smaller wagons on the market, all the stuff mentioned above plus Kia, Skoda and maybe a few others. Seems crazy to send half a million almost new cars to the crusher. How is that good for the environment?

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    Exactly. Sending them all to the crusher..... It's obscene.
    Theres plenty of aftermarket roof racks for wagons around, I put Thule on mine and they're so quiet I stopped taking them off.
    Also most modern cars do have tie down points on the ends in the former of a tow eye. The eye screws in to a hidden thread behind a pop out in the bumper.
    It's likely they will send them to the crusher, but it's possible they could sell them in a country with looser pollution laws.

Quote Originally Posted by johnw View Post
    It's likely they will send them to the crusher, but it's possible they could sell them in a country with looser pollution laws.
    No:
    Settling Defendants may not export or arrange for the export of 2.0 Liter Subject Vehicles, unless such vehicle has been modified in accordance with the applicable Approved Emissions Modification ...
    "I beseech you, in the bowels of Christ, think it possible that you may be mistaken." (stolen from TomF )

^ Good looking car that 328d.

The main knock on many choices is fuel mileage. Hard to accept something even the high twenties when my TDi regularly touches 40 MPG on the highway and mid 30s around town. Then again I don't drive as much any more, so that probably is overrated.

I think all in all I would probably like to leave diesel. The fuel is expensive and ( at least in my experience ), the TDi air conditioning is anemic as hell. My main criteria is going to be, can it tow my 15' wherry.

Seems crazy to send half a million almost new cars to the crusher. How is that good for the environment?
    They'd strip 'em for usable parts first, of which there would a LOT not engine related. In fact, come to think about it, strip out the diesel and emissions/exhaust, drop in the gas engine, resell.
    Gerard>
    Everett, WA

RESIST. FIGHT THE POWER.

A thought but prefer to buy new and keep a long time. Would consider a CPO vehicle though.
    2017 Audi A4 Allroad