Page 1 of 14 1211 ... LastLast

Thread: Shooting Brakes

Default Shooting Brakes

I really, really wish there was a better selection of station wagons these days. My wife's VW Sportwagon is caught up in the VW TDI mess and looks like we're going to give it back to them. That's fine but the only other available true station wagons in this country seem to be made by VW.

Let's discuss options for purchase as well as the mess that Ferdinand Piech left behind. The good news for us is that the EPA driven settlement is so punitive it looks like we will have had the use of the car for three years for free. The bad news is that we liked the car.
    One of the most enduring qualities of an old wooden boat is the smell it imparts to your clothing.

Default Re: Shooting Brakes

What do you think of the Volvo wagons? The MINI Clubman?

I love the Audi AllRoad but it is too bloody expensive for me these days. And it's the same parent company. I too am awaiting formal contact from VW on my TDi Sportwagen before I decide what to do.
    Gerard>
    Everett, WA

Next election, vote against EVERY Republican, for EVERY office, at EVERY level. Be patriotic, save the country.

The chief virtue of the station wagon / estate car / shooting brake over the saloon/sedan version is the ability to haul gear/luggage - and its vice was the extra length.

In Europe that slot is moving towards a very different class of vehicle - the small van/car.

Renault have the Kangoo, Fiat the Doblo and Qubo, Citroen the Berlingo and Nemo, Mercedes the Vaneo, GM the Combo Ford their Transit connect derived Tourneo yada yada..........

These things are taller than traditional station wagons, shorter, and considerably more voluminous.

If you just need to move people then get a car - is you also need three bales of hay and a saddle - or a drum kit - see above.

Here's the Jeremy Clarkson review of one such - but it could have been written about any of them.
    http://www.driving.co.uk/car-reviews...ltispace-2012/
    Last edited by P.I. Stazzer-Newt; 07-01-2016 at 02:36 AM.
    Someday, I'm going to settle down and be a grumpy old man.

I've been very impressed with the luggage carrying capacity of the Peugeot 307.... a full size door for a start with the rear seats neatly folded .
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

There's two real choices.

BMW M5 Touring

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that" instead of being there saying "I wish I'd done that"

Audi RS6 Avant

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that" instead of being there saying "I wish I'd done that"

Quote Originally Posted by Gerarddm View Post
    What do you think of the Volvo wagons?
    F*** Volvo.
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

These look awfully nice. Spendy, though.

I really wish Mazda would bring the 6 wagon to the US.

Dave
    Sooty Tern Build Thread: Another Tern in the Works!
    Sooty Tern Blog: http://xflow7.wordpress.com

Thought this was a gun thread.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

I am into my twelfth year of ownership of Ford Mondeo estates. The one I have now is about to hit three years and 100,000 miles at about the same moment. It's the so called "sport" model with a 2.2 litre engine and low profile tyres, etc. It corners much better than one has a right to expect. If Ford were to make a 6 cylinder 3 litre with AWD I would be very keen to have one. The luggage capacity is fairly vast.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

Quote Originally Posted by Gerarddm View Post
    What do you think of the Volvo wagons? The MINI Clubman?

I love the Audi AllRoad but it is too bloody expensive for me these days. And it's the same parent company. I too am awaiting formal contact from VW on my TDi Sportwagen before I decide what to do.
    Not the Mini. We just don't think it gets the job done. I have this thing about Volvos, and it's not positive, but it is a consideration. If we were thinking Audi we'd just do the Sportwagon in gas. Less money, same platform. And we have now about exhausted the options. There's Subaru, I guess.
    One of the most enduring qualities of an old wooden boat is the smell it imparts to your clothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Lew Barrett View Post
    There's Subaru, I guess.
    embrace your inner lesbian, you know that you want to. . .

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Craig-Bennett View Post
    I am into my twelfth year of ownership of Ford Mondeo estates. The one I have now is about to hit three years and 100,000 miles at about the same moment. It's the so called "sport" model with a 2.2 litre engine and low profile tyres, etc. It corners much better than one has a right to expect. If Ford were to make a 6 cylinder 3 litre with AWD I would be very keen to have one. The luggage capacity is fairly vast.
    The problem is they don't bring those here, or anything similar for that matter. They've decided, probably rightly, that Americans want big SUVs, high boys with pretenses. We don't, we just want a wagon because day to day, it's easier to park and nicer to drive a car.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    How about embracing an actual Lesbian? I have no problem embracing the right Lesbian. Add Subaru to the list. Although, I've never been a fan and it ties us to their CV trans and all wheel drive. All wheel drive could be a plus, not sure about the CV. Lindy of course wants it all. Sporty, fun to drive, good looking, high fuel economy and 7000 pound towing capacity. First Nashville, now this!

Quote Originally Posted by TomF View Post
    Thought this was a gun thread.
    Remember my vows, and trust me not to break them on my first day...second day if I'm discussing this with Donn. I wanted to be inclusive (hence overseas name for the style) and provocative at the same time, yet be able to take umbrage in the actual content.

Quote Originally Posted by xflow7 View Post
    These look awfully nice. Spendy, though

I really wish Mazda would bring the 6 wagon to the US.

Dave
    That would be more like it.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
    Audi RS6 Avant

Nice, not in the budget....and I'm not sure....do they bring those here? Another VW but I can deal with that if they are buying it for us.

They are an absolute weapon, Lew.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
    They are an absolute weapon, Lew.
    not a gun thread. . .

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    I've always thought one of the early-generation Foresters with an STI motor swap would be a seriously fun sleeper.
    Sooty Tern Build Thread: Another Tern in the Works!
    Sooty Tern Blog: http://xflow7.wordpress.com

Wants it all....

Make it right.

Stick or Autobox - whichever
    Someday, I'm going to settle down and be a grumpy old man.

I've always thought one of the early-generation Foresters with an STI motor swap would be a seriously fun sleeper.
    I was looking at exactly that last week. Not a sleeper though, as he's got some pretty horrible body kit stuff on it. It's very, very quick. Owned by a workmate of a friend of mine.

St. Paul, MN Mississippi River Milepost 840.2

I love my Audi. Alas, no RS6 Avant for sale in the U.S. And it's 78,000, so....

I loved the 1990s Subaru Forester styling. With or without accompanying lesbian. I think they messed it up by going more lipstick than butch styling, if you'll pardon the expression, but I know people who love theirs. (The car, not the lesbian.)

How about the Japanese lines, Lew?

The Mazda 3 hatchback is basically a small wagon. A lot of car for the money, but probably not an option if you're much over 6' tall...

Jeff C

What I miss on all these wagons is a proper set of roof racks, large and strong enough to securely carry a pair of sea kayaks or a sheet of plywood. I would also like to see strong and handy tie-down points at the front and rear.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Hazard View Post
    What I miss on all these wagons is a proper set of roof racks, large and strong enough to securely carry a pair of sea kayaks or a sheet of plywood. I would also like to see strong and handy tie-down points at the front and rear.
    Speaking of which... I hadn't thought about using these on cars. I bought some plastic / SS fittings designed to go on kayaks, for use as tie-down points on my motorbikes. Same things would work on cars.... maybe, if there's somewhere to bolt them on.

This isn't them... but close enough to illustrate

Quote Originally Posted by leikec View Post

The Mazda 3 hatchback is basically a small wagon. A lot of car for the money, but probably not an option if you're much over 6' tall...

Jeff C
    She's not...over 6 feet tall. My daughter has one in gray. They are good cars, and very reasonable especially the base model which has all you really need. It's a thought but it's not quite as commodious as the VW.

No projects.

That's called an Outback:

Last edited by George Jung; 07-01-2016 at 10:05 AM. Reason: Well, it was s'posed to be... guess that's a Forester
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

What I miss on all these wagons is all these wagons. Most manufacturers offer no option. A 3 (or 2) series BMW would be a thought at the high end of the budget, but they don't bring them here. Honda no longer brings in an Accord or Civic wagon. It's a dead format in this country, but for us, the perfect combination of utility and drive. It's stupid. Most people don't need the added baggage of an SUV and cars always drive better and deliver better economy.

Cris, an Avant would be ideal but they are a little more money. We could probably deal with that, but we can't buy what they don't import.

No projects.
    hire it done

5 series BMW wagon is s'posed to be nice...
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

Lindy of course wants it all. Sporty, fun to drive, good looking, high fuel economy and 7000 pound towing capacity. First Nashville, now this!
    $25 to $35K used
    600HP/700ft lbs of torque

2007, about $40K

a better color choice for nashville perhaps