Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567 ... LastLast

Thread: A Whiily Tern in Oz

Default Re: A Whilly Tern in Oz

It still looks pretty good to me too. International Toplac - Donegal Green. It just seemed to stand out from all of the other options. I think it will look great on Jim also.
    PeterW

Default Re: A Whiily Tern in Oz

Thanks Peter, I'll have to see if I can find an International stockist close by otherwise I'll have to look for a Haymes or Taubmans colour that is close.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Looks super-nice! Beautiful wood, too.

Carry on!

Mike
    "near it, a small whale-boat, painted red and blue, the delight of the king's old age."

Aft breasthook cleaned up and final layer of ply glued on to the centreboard. Next will be to work out how to finish the aprons and stems.

PeterW

Made a start on cleaning up the bow stem. I had thought I may incorporate the top of the apron in the finished version but it just did not look any good; so the flush version here (before final finishing) is what it will be. Also made a start on the seat cleats for the main thwart. These are made of Celery Top Pine.

PeterW

You've obviously had a few years practice at carpenteering Peter, I agree you're a show -off.

My thoughts exactly. Another Sibley!!

Rick

Ah Gents ....if only you knew. I am a disciple of the "John West" school of Wood Butchery : the pieces I mess up become my glue spreaders and paint stirring sticks- have plenty of those!
    PeterW

When you install a wood fired heater to reduce the mountain of offcuts and 'prototypes' rotting in the backyard, then you can claim membership of our genuine 'John West' school of wood butchery.

I suspect the difference between an ordinary woodworker and a decent woodworker is that the ordinary one installs the prototypes. Of course a great woodworker doesn't have prototypes. Sadly, there are some of those around ....

Rick

PS If anyone actually needs any paint stirring sticks, send a truck over and I'll let you have some.

Lovely work on the breasthooks Peter - they'll look stunning finished. I may have missed it but what are you planning on using for your timber finish?
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Thanks Larks. Finish will be a coat of epoxy then a good few coats of Feast Watson single pack polyurethane. Floorboads (and maybe some other bits) will get Deks Olje #1.
    PeterW

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    My thoughts exactly. Another Sibley!!

Rick
    I'll deal with you later ! I've seen your work too!
    Grateful Dead

Ok Gents ...here's my application for advanced standing (Senior Apprentice) in the "John West" School of Wood Butchery.
    This is the blunt end of a 16ft Proa my son drew up and we built and had some great sails in: sailed like a witch with the ama out of the water.

PeterW

The top 2 planks received a resin coat today. They will be clear finished while the lower 2 will be painted with a slight tint of cream.

PeterW

Getting closer every day Peter! And looking good too.

Graeme

Thanks Graeme.
    I am tossing around ideas for finishing the inside of the centrecase. How did you finish the case on your Arctic Tern?
    IO's book shows a version with a lower rubbing strip each side of the slot. On the WT the slot is offset to port, so I am thinking of glassing the inside of the case with possibly another layer on the lower parts of the slot each side. Thoughts?
    PeterW

Peter
    My AT was not built by me but I also have an Acorn 12 which I did build.

With its centreboard case I used the "mirror dinghy" system of making the case deeper than needed, cut the slot in the keelson/keel to suit and glued the case in with thickened epoxy. The inside of the case was coated with fibreglass cloth and epoxy resin before it was assembled. After the case was glued in, it was trimmed off with the japanese backsaw, level with the bottom of the keel. There are no rubbing strips inside the case. If I were building again I would probably use the same method but also follow Oughtred's advice as set out in sections 6-82 and 6-83 of his Boatbuilding Manual and add the external rubbing strips along the bottom of the keel. Hope this helps.

Graeme

Thanks Graeme - useful info.
    Work has begun on the centrecase construction and the shaping of the centreboard. This is new territory apart from a couple of kayak skegs operating on the same principle as this type of centreboard. The faces of the ply centrecase have been given a resin coat on both sides and I am tossing up on how to finish the inside (glass cloth favourite at the moment) and the lower bearing surface (extra cloth strip or hardwood strips ??).

I would be grateful for suggestions/advice from those who have been through this already. ....any sort of boat using this type of case.

Dry fit of the port side of the case.

Cut to length - looking forward

Shaping the board: max thickness 30% back from front and square trailing edge.

PeterW

Peter

I thought I should mention why the Mirrors built the centrecase projecting through the bottom. In the early days on the cases were just cut to shape on the inside of the hull (remember there is no separate keel on a Mirror, just a taped joint). It was found that the twisting forces on the centrecase exerted by the centreboard eventually cracked the joint between the case and the boat bottom causing leaks in the first instance and eventually catastrophic failure in the longer term.

When the centrecases were fitted through the hull this problem was overcome. Of course using epoxy resins rather than the older polyester resins has helped as has better and stronger fillers.

Of course in other boats when the centrecase is fitted through a keelson and/or keel or alongside a keel the likelihood of the problem is much reduced.

Your joinery work should give you no cause for concern. Glassing the inside of the case and also glassing the board will reduce wear to an absolute minimum. I have known some (fanatical) builders to add graphite powder to the final coat of resin on the board for a super slippery and hard-wearing finish.

Graeme

'A bit of backtracking today when I realised that I had cut one side of the centrecase too short. Easiest fix was to just make a new one....and read the plans more carefully! Also managed to cut the slot for the centreboard and get some of the reinforcing pieces cut.

PeterW

Now that's annoying but at least it proves you aren't perfect ! The rest of us can relax a bit now !
    Grateful Dead

Phew that was close wasn't it mr S. Now we all can breath again.

Stuff ups are standard Peter W it's how you get out of them that sorts men from the boys. That c'case side will find a use no doubt.

Perfect ....??? Ha ....... tell him he's dreamin'. Aspirations of adequacy is where I'm at.
    Actually, I was thinking of the process of getting out of an "oops" moment such as this and reckon one of the most under-rated 'tools' in a boatshed is a stool or chair. Sometimes just a sit down and think for a while can be the best course of action. My favourite is an old wooden folding-step stool that did duty in my Grandparents' kitchen in the '20s and '30s ....totally unrestored (I did build a replica that my wife has in her quilting "shed"). It is rare that thinking time is wasted....can often save another mess up.
    PeterW

Quote Originally Posted by PeterWidders View Post
    Perfect ....??? Ha ....... tell him he's dreamin'. Aspirations of adequacy is where I'm at.
    Actually, I was thinking of the process of getting out of an "oops" moment such as this and reckon one of the most under-rated 'tools' in a boatshed is a stool or chair. Sometimes just a sit down and think for a while can be the best course of action. My favourite is an old wooden folding-step stool that did duty in my Grandparents' kitchen in the '20s and '30s ....totally unrestored (I did build a replica that my wife has in her quilting "shed"). It is rare that thinking time is wasted....can often save another mess up.
    Couldn't agree more. I have an old chair my now departed dog used to sleep on, and it gets used when there is a practical problem to nut out. I also find that thinking about a problem often continues while mundane tasks are being completed.

Good steady progress being maintained through the slow part of the build.

Cheers

Graeme

Hi Graeme,
    Just sent you a pm.
    Cheers
    PeterW

Made a start on patterns for the various knees needed: midships, side bench and bulkhead knees as well as patterns for the for'ard and aft bulkheads. 1/4" MDF is material of choice for the patterns. 'Still working out timber species for the various knees.

PeterW

LFH would agree, what he calls a "Moaning chair"
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Thanks Graeme - useful info.
    Work has begun on the centrecase construction and the shaping of the centreboard. This is new territory apart from a couple of kayak skegs operating on the same principle as this type of centreboard. The faces of the ply centrecase have been given a resin coat on both sides and I am tossing up on how to finish the inside (glass cloth favourite at the moment) and the lower bearing surface (extra cloth strip or hardwood strips ??).

I would be grateful for suggestions/advice from those who have been through this already. ....any sort of boat using this type of case.
    Just a thought re the lower bearing surface or even the full inside of the CB case - I like the idea of using StarBoard HDPE or acetal or something similar as it provides essentially a self lubricating type of bearing surface. The difficulty is bonding it to the centreboard case so needs to be fastened with screws and bonded with something like 3m5200.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

I'd use acetal or similar too. You could have the lower piece set into the hull. Use a piece of acetal with a centreboard foil shape cut out of it and install with just screws into the hull. It's sacrificial and easily replaced. The upper bearing plate could be similar but it would look nicer if you made it from wood. A greasy timber might be best.

Rick

Thanks for the advice re centrecase ...still mulling the options.
    Made a start on the midship knees and the for'ard bulkhead knees. The first are from a grown knee - best guess is Tea-Tree - that a mate gave me, while the second pair are from a piece of recycled Huon Pine.

Cleaning up the grown knee.

Finished pieces with a seal coat of Everdure.

PeterW

For the pivot on my c/board, I overbored the hole and cast some resin with graphite in it. For the inside of the case, again a thick coat of graphite filled resin.
    The knees I laminated out of 5mm iroko.
    Coming on nicely....
    A2

NB, I used some available 12 ply for the floorboards and found them very flexible, so doubled up the number of floors. I think Iain said something about this.
    Also, I embedded a bit of 8mm threaded rod across the breasthooks, as I doubted the end grain joint.
    Last edited by Andrew2; 11-09-2016 at 01:59 AM.

A bit of a hiatus while I sought some advice to fix an issue with the fit of the centreboard. All good now after a bit of a trim to the aft of the top edge so that the board would not rub on the underside of the main thwart/seat when raising & lowering. Full steam ahead now that's sorted and the shape of the case has been established. Next will be the shaping and glassing of the board.

Also made a start on the cleats for the mast partner.

A pleasant part of the recent break was a brief sail/row on Lake Burley Griffin (Canberra, ACT) with Forumite Graeme (admiral1645) on his Arctic Tern. The 'breeze' for the day peaked at 30kts so it was a brief visit to the lake.

PeterW

The Arctic Tern is very nice too!!

Rick

Here's the next question for the brains trust: Centreboard shaping (1 inch thick) is coming along nicely and I am tossing up on lead weight installation or not. I would be grateful for comments/suggestions/advice on pros and cons of weighting/not weighting the board on this size boat (15ft). I will be glassing the board as well as the insides of the centrecase. Graeme's Freya (#207) has a steel board and is 3 ft longer than the Whilly Tern.

Made a start on the first of the knees for the side benches. This is at #3 and is Tasmanian Myrtle. Still to be thinned down a little.

PeterW

I think I'd stick with the plan. Is it specified?

Rick