Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst ... 234 ... LastLast

Thread: A Whiily Tern in Oz

Default Re: A Whilly Tern in Oz

The template issue for me was a case of trying to avoid any trimming after applying the resin. I am expecting the pay-off to be in applying the resin and then walking away. I also wanted to avoid any issue with the glass catching on the smallest sliver of wood when laying the glass in position. The 6oz cloth will not be as 'touchy' as the 4oz I used on the kayak, but I think making the template was worth the time.
    Thanks for the kind words Timo.
    PeterW

More work on the stem templates and pieces. These will be in celery top pine. I should be able to get away with just one join with the recycled pieces I have on hand. The join will be glued with 2 dowels in the same timber to support the joint.

Template in 1/8"(3mm) MDF. Still a bit of work to do on the final fit.

This piece of celery top was once a window sill in a house in Hobart, Tasmania. Very nice colour just off the saw.

PeterW

Default Re: A Whiily Tern in Oz

That's nice bit of timber Peter !
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Another nice step today with the glassing of the garboard planks. This was the alternative to using 9mm ply for the garboards. I went with 6mm ply for all planking and will also glass the inside of the garboard planks. Main spreader of resin was a 4 inch plastic "squeege" made from an ice cream container. A brush also helped in some areas.

Cloth was laid on dry to make positioning easier.

Wet-out completed and just a few heavy spots to attend to.

PeterW

Plastic Gyproc spatulas work really well too.

Last edited by PeterSibley; 08-16-2016 at 03:32 AM.
    Grateful Dead

well done Peter, are you doing any of the other planks?

Thanks Andrew - just glass on the garboards. Maybe a resin coat before paint/varnish.
    PeterW

More progress today on the aft stem. A bit slow but between the compass plane, belt sander and a couple of spokeshaves the gaps are getting smaller. There is planty of meat left on the outer face so once the inside fits are good, the stem will be glued on and given final shaping.

Shaping the sides of the stem piece.

The compass plane needed frequent adjustment of the sole along the inner face.

Getting closer with the fitting: time consuming but worthwhile.

PeterW

A lovely job peter ! Very neat .
    Grateful Dead

2 days away from the shed helping the brothers antifoul and prep their 32 ft Ross 930 for the racing season starting on 3 Sept...looking forward to it. Both stems were glued on today and a start was made on the rubbing strakes.

Bow stem - 2 views

Stern:

PeterW

Great build! Hard to go passed Oughtred's delectable curves.

Graeme

Thanks Graeme - I was quite surprised how the addition of the stem pieces really made the shape "pop".
    Today's work included the rough cut for the centreboard slot, cleaning up the stems and keel and making a start on the bilge runners.

Slot rough cut:

Bilge runner: these will probably get a layer of glass cloth and a brass strip on top. This is layer 1 of 3.

PeterW

One bilge runner is almost done save for a bit of final easing of edges to get a better wrap for the 4oz glass cloth. This will be cut on a 45 degree angle to the weave to get the best 'drape' for the cloth.

A view from the other end with some filleting added. Bump near half-way along needs a bit of attention.

PeterW

Looks really good Peter! Turn-over's not too far off.

I built my Whilly Boat without flotation tanks, but now I wish I had put them in. I test-capsized her for the first time yesterday. With two big fenders lashed under the main thwart, I was able to climb back in and start to bail. Boat was very unstable, and gunwales kept going under. I did eventually get enough water out to be able to row, but it would have been impossible in any kind of a sea.

Maybe I'll build those tanks in someday!

cheers,

Mike

[IMG]IMG_0506 by Michael Owen, on Flickr[/IMG]
    "near it, a small whale-boat, painted red and blue, the delight of the king's old age."

An alternative to adding buoyancy tanks might be to do something like what I've done, which is to cut up foam from a thick sheet into as close a shape to the space under the thwarts. I glued layers to build up the shape. I tried keep the beveled ends to maximize the volume of the foam. Then I wrapped the whole thing in cloth fabric for protection. Velcro to keep the covers closed and velcro straps to secure the blocks to the thwarts.

In my case, this was in addition to the built-in flotation tanks, as when I capsized a couple of years ago I discovered that they were insufficient to keep the top of the CB case above water level.

I thought of adding bulkheads at the thwarts, which would maximize the volume for sure, but I needed to leave a space for the downhaul, which passes under the front foam block. You can see it in one of the pics, the line terminates at a black nylon clamcleat. This is my setup for the road, with the cover pulled back for the pics obviously.

Thanks Mike and R&S,
    I am planning to build the bow and stern flotation tanks as per IO plans. I will also have side benches so there will be scope for more flotation under the side benches if required.
    Mike - your 'wet-test' sounds like an interesting experience.
    PeterW

A nice stage today: put a coat of clear resin on the remaining 3 planks each side. The garboard has been glassed while the other 3 each side will be finished with paint (#2 and #3) and varnish (#4). The stems have not been resin coated as yet due to work still to be done on final shape etc.

Bow shot

Stern view

Another view of the starboard side (bow).

PeterW

That was pretty quick Peter ! Well done .
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by PeterWidders View Post
    Thanks Mike and R&S,
    I am planning to build the bow and stern flotation tanks as per IO plans. I will also have side benches so there will be scope for more flotation under the side benches if required.
    Mike - your 'wet-test' sounds like an interesting experience.
    My AT has fore and aft tanks as per the plan and a capsize (not planned) proved that the boat was easy to right, the level of water in the hull was below the top of the centreboard case and we were able to bail the boat out and sail home in safety. The built-in tanks are a great safety feature.

Graeme

Thanks Graeme - I had suspected that this might be the case but good to have it confirmed by your "tank test".
    Made a start today on some primer on the lower planks.

PeterW

Thanks Graeme - I had suspected that this might be the case but good to have it confirmed by your "tank test".
    Made a start today on some primer on the lower planks.
    Hello, was checking you're progress and was noting THE buoyancy subject.
    I can confirm that tanks on IO's whilly terns definatly do work.
    So far I unintentionally capsized twice, and bailed my wat out of both situations.
    lessons: larger bailing bucket! secure everything!, hatches let in water! (even after rebedding)

Nice Color!
    looks a bit like THE sea foam green Caitlin used to wear.

greetings,

you're not mucking around Peter. Always seems a shame to cover up the beautiful grain of ply with paint doesnt it? At least your sheer planks will be bright. How will you finish stems?

Thanks Maarten and Andrew. Agree re the covering the ply with paint: will leave the top 2 planks inside clear with the other 2 lower ones painted and all fit-out (hopefully) varnished/oiled. I am working on a scheme for the stems- the bow is huon pine and the stern is celery top pine. Will most likely do a combination clear/painted with some sort of curve effect to match the curves of the boat. A bit of 'doodling' ahead of me to see what looks good.
    PeterW

Peter

Such an impressive build! Looking forward to each exciting instalment.

Just a comment about buoyancy chambers and openings in them: if you plan to stow "stuff" in them then you will need larger openings and these, in my experience, usually leak. However if you put the openings on the tank tops and on the centreline there is significantly less chance of the cover being immersed on capsize. Covers with neoprene sealing rings offer a bit more insurance.

It is nearly warm enough during the day here to take the cover off the boat!

Cheers

Graeme

Thanks Graeme.
    I have not finalised the plan for the buoyancy tanks apart from picking up a small plastic hatch during a boatshop sale recently. Good point about leaking hatches: I found the same with the kayak in Post 5. When the 2 panels were cut out of the deck they went a bit out of shape (flattened out) despite having glass each side. I needed to put them in a press for a while with some gentle heat persuasion to get them back to the right curvature. Both now get a small amount of water in despite good pressure on the sealing foam.
    Latest progress has been to glass one of the bilge runners with 6oz cloth. I had intended to use 4oz but remembered I gave the bag of offcuts to my son for his 12ft Selway Fisher build. The glass on the bilge runner is probably a bit of overkill but the first 3 layers are from a softer wood (king billy pine) with a harder capping on top (celery top pine). There will be a 1/2 inch brass strip on top of the finished runner.

PeterW

Sanding and spot filling over the last 2 days with more to come on the port side. Combination of hand sanding and ROS with 180 grit.

Starboard bilger runner has been given a coat of primer.

PeterW

Looking terrific Peter!

Rick

More painting today with the first u'coat on stbd side and the last primer on the port side. International Paints say that the last Prekote can be filled 50-50 with the topcoat: supposedly gives a satin finish and helps pick up imperfections before going to full gloss. Topcoat is International's Donegal Green.

Anyone tried the 50-50 technique ? I would expect the coverage (of white u'coat) with straight topcoat would be better with the full topcoat going over the 50-50 mix..

Thoughts?

2 views of the first undercoat.

PeterW

That's a bloomin' nice finish Peter !
    Grateful Dead

Impressive ,did you deviate from the plans Peter?

The only issue would be compatibility so if International say you can mix them then I'd say go for it. Topcoat is the hardest coat to achieve consistency with and I would think mixing some in with the undercoat will help that a lot. A lot of painters tint undercoat for that reason.

Rick

Thanks Gents.
    Peter - I find the quality of the finish is directly proportional to the distance photo is taken.
    Tom - no mods to plans : just going with what's drawn/listed.
    Rick - thanks for the comment. I think I will give it a go. If nothing else it will certainly help coverage of the 2nd topcoat.
    PeterW

Peter, I made the bilge runners on my build straight and parallel to the keel, rather than following the curve of the plank.
    Mine was the original Whilly boat not the Whilly Tern, though.
    Perhaps the plans have been updated in that area.

Lovely build by the way - the finish is particularly good !

I wonder which way works best? When multiple fins were first used on surfboards, they were aligned fore and aft, and it never really worked very well. Then someone set them up so that each outer fin 'pointed' to a point just short of the nose on the opposite side. This worked very well and has been used, pretty much always, ever since. This may have no relevance at all to these bilge runners, of course!

Rick

More painting today; mixed International Prekote and Gloss Donegal Green to a 50-50 mix and gave the starboard side a coat. Interesting colour: brushed out pretty well.
    The bilge runner issue has been an interesting one. Oughtred's book mentions curving them if they have to follow a plank line. The plans just specified size of runner and location between #3 and #5. I laminated them and then glassed for a bit of 'belt and braces'. I must admit to a fleeting thought about some of the bilge keels I have seen with asymmetric faces. Interesting about the surfboard fins Rick: not sure if we'll ever know on this application.

PeterW

That's a beaut colour Peter. Do you put a final coat of straight gloss now? How did you apply - roll and tip?

I like it too!

Rick

Just a brush finish ...hadn't thought about a roller first. Probably as I don't have any rollers of the right size ?? Might have a look at what I can use in the collection I have.
    Just a topcoat to go on now. Will take a bit of time with the fine sanding to get it right...hopefully.
    PeterW

Just a brush finish ...hadn't thought about a roller first. Probably as I don't have any rollers of the right size ?? Might have a look at what I can use in the collection I have.
    Just a topcoat to go on now. Will take a bit of time with the fine sanding to get it right...hopefully.
    +1 for roll and tip, you can lay the paint down quickly with the roller, then go over with the brush

Back to the shed today after a break. Work is continuing on 'research' for the application of the topcoat. The current preference is for approx 10% Penetrol added to the paint, hand sanding to 400 grit and then application of paint with a 2 1/2 inch pure bristle brush. I have had 1 trial with rolll and tip and have not dismissed this process: just need to have another go to improve my technique.

Test patches: LHS has approx 1% Penetrol +brush. Middle has approx 10% Penetrol +brush. Lower strip is 1% Penetrol with roll and tip (not the clearest pic)

Stern pic with 10% Penetrol and brush.

PeterW

1% seems very low Peter, I've heard recommendation for far higher proportions.

I can't make out your photos very well, which do you think is the best ?
    Grateful Dead

Yep - the 1% bit the dust very early in the (still ongoing) test process. I am happy with the latest 10% addition of Penetrol. The last 2 pics are from my mobile : I will have the camera back on deck for the next pics. I'll see if I can get some close-ups to show the difference. 'Not hopeful on this one but will give it a go.
    PeterW

Happy memories.. Built my WT 10 yrs ago. The bilge runners followed the chine lines, with ally cap strips. I have the fore and aft tanks, but have yet to need them.. I also have the outboard well, but use a faired plug in the bottom, while at sea. If I did capsize, the open well would be a much lower level for water entry, while trying to bail. The centerboard case is effectively sealed, with the uphaul and downhaul coming out of small holes.
    If sailing alone, I would highly recommend carrying 40kg of ballast by the c/b case. I find her a bit lively in a chop and good breeze. Since I have the gunter sloop rig, mucking around with the halyards by the mast, can be a bit tippy. But keeps the spectators entertained...

I used 6mm for all the hull, no glass. No reason to worry about it. If I run up a slip or beach, it is the keel that takes the wear and I have a SS strip all along the bottom edge.
    For the outer stems I, used Iroko in three parts, with loose tenon joints, inners were laminated out of 6mm iroko strips.

Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/422412...60163826/page2 If you scroll down to near the bottom on page two and other pix on page three, I am in the frame at a local event last week. Bright finished with only my main up. Just left the dock, so PLEASE excuse the fenders.. We all ran up the estuary and had a good time in the evening with a meal and music.
    Last edited by Andrew2; 09-18-2016 at 11:33 AM.

Hi Andrew...nice to hear from you. 'And thanks for the link to the pictures: it looks like a great time was had by all.
    The issue of weight in bags etc seems to be mentioned by a few on the WBF. I am going for the single lugsail - still expect she will be a 'fun' boat to sail.

First coat of straight topcoat (with 10% Penetrol) happened on the starboard side today. I will most likely be doing 2 topcoats in all.

PeterW

Wow ! That is very smooth , nice Peter !

I'm still trying to pick colours for JIM.
    Grateful Dead

And I thought #135 was the final colour! British racing green, even nicer, well done Peter.

Thanks Peter and Andrew. There's still some room for improvement in my technique but it's getting there.

Peter - FWIW - for the colour selection process I collected approx 13 pics of IO double enders (mostly Whilly Terns but also 1 Tirrick and 1 Arctic Tern) and gave the "Design Committee" a look at options. This can be a fraught option, but in this instance the choice was unanimous. Final decision was a bit of a 'best-of' a couple of different boats. Final on ours will be Donegal Green on the 3 lower planks, with the sheer strake clear finished. Interior will see lower 2 planks finished with Toplac Snow White tinted slightly with sandstone and the top 2 planks finished clear. Fitout will be combination of varnish and Deks Olje #1.
    PeterW

Applied the penultimate topcoat (hopefully) to the starboard side this afternoon. This was attempt #2 at "roll-and-tip". I picked up some 4" rollers and could not believe the difference with this technique over brushing. Thanks for the tip fellas. Needless to say- I am a convert. The job took about 1/3 the time, was a lot more even in application and a breeze to brush out. I just need to get better at brushing out the joins ...maybe enlist a helper ...or roll in one length and then go back and tip off. It's a 15ft boat so that may be worth a try when I do the port side on the weekend.

Just one question for the sheer strake: how does "roll-and-tip" work with single pack poly varnish?

PeterW

Thanks Peter, that looks brilliant ! I'm still trying to pick colours !
    Grateful Dead

I'm not a very good painter but I've had success with 2 pack poly using two approaches. The first is roll and tip with good short nap mohair rollers and good badger (style) Corona brushes. Rather than trying to roll on a lot at a time, I maintain a wet edge. So just roll a smallish area then tip off. All to avoid going over any area that's started to dry. Joins disappear if a wet edge is maintained.

The other approach is easier. Just roll on with a really good high density, cigar-shaped foam roller. The only rollers I've found that work with poly are Corona ones. They're hard to get. I ended up ordering several boxes from the USA. But there is a supplier in Sydney. I just can't find out who it is and Corona won't answer their emails. I ordered mine from a retailer in USA who was great.

Rick