Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A Whiily Tern in Oz

Default Re: A Whilly Tern in Oz

More work today after a layday yesterday. Started fairing the stems and keelson with a variety of tools including a medium shoulder plane, Bailey #5, drawknife and a couple of spokeshaves with battens to assist. The medium shoulder plane was useful to estaiblish the bevel at each mould.

A batten between each mould helped when planing the bevel between moulds.
    PeterW

Default Re: A Whiily Tern in Oz

Hi Peter, I'm going to be presumptuous and offer a bit of unasked for advice . I worked out a couple of useful techniques on my JIM yawl build . Something useful around post 365.

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...noe-yawl/page8

Peter
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Tom Hill's Ultralight Boatbuilding has an excellent chapter on planking which proved very helpful to me when building. It complements Oughtred's Clinker Boatbuilding which seems to be the bible for building his boat designs.

Graeme

Hi Peter,
    Thanks for the link. Always happy to learn from those who have been there before.

'Tried to send you a pm about strip planking but your inbox is full.
    Cheers
    PeterW

I'll empty it now.
    Grateful Dead

More work on the pattern for the first of the garboard planks. I decided to double-up and make a lattice frame and then transfer that to another sheet of MDF (1/8"/3mm) to make sure there were no 'accidents' with the 1/4"/6mm gaboon ply. The lattice frame was a pretty good fit for a first-go so I might give the double step a miss with the next planks.

Here's a pic of the ladder frame showing the midships area.

This one is of the full pattern taken from the stern.

PeterW

Hey nice build .

I almost build the Whilly boat before I settled on the Ness instead .

Hi Tom,
    'Good to hear from you. Do you have some pics of your boat? I am still mulling over fit-out & paint/finish decisions, so the more the merrier.
    PeterW

Quote Originally Posted by PeterWidders View Post
    Hi Tom,
    'Good to hear from you. Do you have some pics of your boat? I am still mulling over fit-out & paint/finish decisions, so the more the merrier.
    Thanks for the prompt and my subsequent trip down memory lane. The year was 93 ,10 sheets of Gaboon 9mm ply was around 80$ ,Stem Hog Skeg where Silver Ash ,floorboards Huon also some Australian Red Cedar with Quandong oars and Spruce Spar.
    [IMG]javascript:void(0)[/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Thanks Tom. That is a really nice job. Super gloss on the finish! I am also going with fore and aft tanks but maybe a slightly different layout for paint/varnish. Vive la difference! Hollow spruce spar and same sail as yours.
    PeterW

The paint was two pack sprayed in a sealed unit in a body shop. All the planks and scarfs where laid out on the building frames using light ply templates ,and then transferred to the ply while the chine lines where eyeballed for fairness before scarfing.Any problems I encountered Had to be solved on my own,since I received no help from Ian Outright and it was only the early days of the Internet.

The boat sailed well even without the CB .If I where to build another one I would probably eliminate the CB , Increase the skeg depth and also increase the sheer height of the last plank.

Quote Originally Posted by auscruisertom View Post
    The paint was two pack sprayed in a sealed unit in a body shop. All the planks and scarfs where laid out on the building frames using light ply templates ,and then transferred to the ply while the chine lines where eyeballed for fairness before scarfing.Any problems I encountered Had to be solved on my own,since I received no help from Ian Outright and it was only the early days of the Internet.

The boat sailed well even without the CB .If I where to build another one I would probably eliminate the CB , Increase the skeg depth and also increase the sheer height of the last plank.
    Tom, I am interested on your idea to increase the height of the sheer plank.....what was behind this??

More work today: started on the floors for #3 and #6. these will be made from celery top pine.

PeterW

Good progress today with the first plank (stbd garboard) glued on. Doing this single handed with a 14ft plank with an amount of floppiness rewuired a temorary jig above the moulds so that the glue could be applied and then the plank could be lowered without the glue ending up everywhere. The operation also tested the collection of clamps.

Jig to hold the plank above the moulds:

Plank glued and clamped.

PeterW

I recommend ......

Grateful Dead

Peter, if it helps what I did was a dry run with the plank exactly in position and then clamped some stops against "upper edge" on the moulds, then mark lengthways position with some bits of tape. Take plank off, butter it up on the bench, then lift plank and hold it on edge locate against stops and ensure tapes line up, lower into position. I was able to do 22' foot planks on my own like this.

Tom, I am interested on your idea to increase the height of the sheer plank.....what was behind this??

More work today: started on the floors for #3 and #6. these will be made from celery top pine.

While the lines of the Ness boat are aesthetically pleasing the low freeboard amidships had a habit of scooping large volumes of seawater in gusts if you weren't on the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by auscruisertom View Post
    While the lines of the Ness boat are aesthetically pleasing the low freeboard amidships had a habit of scooping large volumes of seawater in gusts if you weren't on the ball.

The reason I chose a design with side decks , sorry not a useful suggestion.
    Grateful Dead

Thanks Andrew and Peter,
    Actually fitting the first plank on the Whilly Tern was a bit of a doddle compared to an earlier build where I was dealing with 35ft + strips (3/4" x 1 5/8") on the build of our 34 footer. Again, some simple jigs to hold the planks above the glued plank made for a pretty smooth operation, even single handed.
    PeterW

Made a start on the bevels on the first of the garboard planks as well as the first gain at the stern of the same garboard. Thanks to Peter Sibley for the idea of the round dowel to get the bevels right.

PeterW

I stole it from WB , published some time in the last 20 years..... not my idea but a good one !
    Grateful Dead

Thanks Andrew and Peter,
    Actually fitting the first plank on the Whilly Tern was a bit of a doddle compared to an earlier build where I was dealing with 35ft + strips (3/4" x 1 5/8") on the build of our 34 footer. Again, some simple jigs to hold the planks above the glued plank made for a pretty smooth operation, even single handed.
    If you have any photos of that build I'd love to see them Peter.
    Grateful Dead

Peter .... Assume you mean of the planking process .....will have to dig out a few pre-digital camera snaps and post them Please let me know some specifics and I will dig them out. Here's one of the completed boat: Chuck Paine design...70 built in UK by Victoria Marine as the Victoria 34. I think we may be the only timber one afloat.

PeterW

Frankly Peter anything. I've never built a strip and veneer hull but the more I learn before I start the better. The design I have in mind is an Albert Strange "Yonne". 26 foot on deck, 4 foot draft.

Grateful Dead

That's a great little ship Peter. Can you send me a pm with your email and I will see what I can dig out.
    PeterW

Peter .... Assume you mean of the planking process .....will have to dig out a few pre-digital camera snaps and post them Please let me know some specifics and I will dig them out. Here's one of the completed boat: Chuck Paine design...70 built in UK by Victoria Marine as the Victoria 34. I think we may be the only timber one afloat.

Lovely lines, do you still own her?

Yes .....and coming up to 20ys since we launched her (Feb 1997). The sheerline did it for me very early in the selection process.
    PeterW

I've been looking at pictures of other Victoria 34s on Google, a lovely design .
    Grateful Dead

Curious do you have special plans are for the Whilly Tern Peter ?

Tom - I purchased the plans from NIS Boats in Sth Aust. My understanding is that Iain Oughtred modified the initial design in 2003. Some of my plans have a date of '92 while others have '03.
    Is this what you meant?
    Peter - Yes ...have to agree with you on the design ...not biased at all. We were fortunate to spend some time with Chuck Paine in Jan '89 when we ordered the plans. There was a bit of wrangling with Victoria Marine re selling us the plans, so Chuck updated the keel and rudder and called it a Paine/Widders 34. Also fortunate to get an intro to Morris Yachts where we were able to crawl all over a Brit-built Victoria 34 in the yard for storage. This was before Morris did their own version and called it the Morris 34.
    PeterW

Is your's a fin keel or a full keel Peter? I think I've seen a drawing of a full keel version.

Grateful Dead

Peter - ours is a moderate fin keel with a skeg hung rudder. The new keel Chuck Paine did was one of his early Paine bulb/wing keel. It was a development of the Scheel Keel. Draft is about 5ft. Helm balance is exceptional.
    Hopefully this pic shows it all.

PeterW

It does very nicely, a smaller Masina underwater , Rick's lovely boat.

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...for-the-Tasman
    Last edited by PeterSibley; 07-21-2016 at 02:11 AM.
    Grateful Dead

Plank 2 (port garboard) went on today and the next plank for the starboard side was cut and scarphed. The gains at each end of the stbd garboard have been a good learning experience. This was one reason for choosing the type of construction over previously completed strip plank or stitch and glue boats.

No 1 gain not quite done.

MDF pattern -trial fit.

PeterW