Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2111213 LastLast

Thread: A Whiily Tern in Oz

Default Re: A Whilly Tern in Oz

The beam under the mast partner was glued on today. Both pieces are Tasmanian Myrtle. The beam can just be seen peeking out under the mast partner in the 2nd photo.

PeterW

Normal shed operations are almost back underway with the Thames Skiff 'splashed' and back to its own shed. One hold-up has been a commission from my wife for a new sewing desk for 2 machines. That is also just about done so thoughts have turned to the spars. The mast, boom and yard will be hollow Douglas Fir: some overkill with the hollow approach but it is a more interesting way to build (IMHO) and makes best use of available sizes. Layup will be straight pieces, tapered and shaped after glue-up, rather than bird's mouth construction.

PeterW

Mast building is progressing well with the 2 outer staves cut on the bandsaw with a plethora of props and braces to support the timber. 12:1 scarphs have been cut and glued up ready for the inner pieces to be attached. Mast building with clear Douglas Fir and a sharp plane would have to be one of the most pleasant tasks tof the project to date.

Final glue-up.

PeterW

The spars are coming along nicely although with the same slow and steady progress that is the nature of this build. Most of the work on the spars, apart from the initial cutting of the Douglas Fir on the bandsaw, is being done with hand tools: slower than power but less racket than with a power plane or a router. And the shavings are sublime.

PeterW

Default Re: A Whiily Tern in Oz

How many pics in that last post Peter, I only could see two even after signing in? There were two of those small squares like more pics were coming, is that right?
    I feel cheated

Only 2 here too.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Just the two. I had a brain fade and cut and pasted the code in the wrong place (using dropbox) and then remembered how it all worked. I'll see if I can toss a few more up tomorrow.
    Thanks for looking in.
    PeterW

Thanks Peter.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

'A few more pics from today's progress. Making sure the mast was lying straight on the bench needed a string line on the side as well as the top of the first half.

The butt end has been given a tapered plug on the first stave. Other blocking will be put in where the mast goes through the partner at deck level and then, most likely, where the boom sits against the mast. The top will have also have a plug : slightly longer for this one to allow room for a slot to be cut to run the main halyard. 'Leaning towards no sheave for this - just some sort of reinforcing for the wear section.

The hollowing has mostly been completed with a small round sole plane. The inner staves were given a bevel before installation which saved timber as I was able to just flip the 2nd inner stave and thereby get 2 from 1 piece. The wooden plane is used almost flat initially to trim the enges to the marked wall thickness (to finish approx 25%) and is then gradually raised to vertical to complete the hollow. Final finish is with sandpaper around a metal tube.

PeterW

The 2 halves of the mast were glued together today with a good variety of clamps dusted off. The first pic shows the lower end of the mast with the short pieces of blocking in place for the mast-partner stress point, and the longer blocking at the heel. A sealing flood coat of International's Everdure was applied to the hollowed sections before joining the 2 halves together.

The 2nd pic is the final glue-up and clamp-up completed.

Thoughts are turning to the trailer set-up I will need with a trip south planned for March 2018 to take in a couple of boat festivals.
    PeterW

Clamps off today and into the shaping with a start made on both ends. One of the pure pleasures of a project like this is the sound and feel of a sharp plane slicing through nice timber. This may have to be interrupted with recourse to the power plane to speed things up a bit.

Top of mast shown here.

PeterW

Is that taper all in the last 12/18” Peter? Or just trick photo

At the top (2nd pic) the taper has only just been started and the pic does show one side has more shaved off than the other. The taper is quite gradual at the upper end while at the base (1st pic - different angle) , the taper is more pronounced with the base at 45mm (1 3/4") and then getting to 70mm (2 3/4") just 360mm (14") from the base. This is to ensure good strength at the mast partner.
    PeterW

Take 2: I have mixed up the pics and the 2nd pic in #396 is the base of the mast where it does taper pretty quickly in the last 14" (360mm).
    PeterW

Aha, as long as the mast ends up right way up ;-)

I'll cut the slot for the halyard sheave in a day or so ....that'll sort it!
    PeterW

A slowdown of sorts while a bit of house painting and curtain rod installation took place. The mast is almost done with a slot cut for the tufnol sheave and grooves cut below the sheave on each side of the mast. Boom will go together in the next few days. The sheave is located on a bronze rod with tube supports in the mast outer walls.

PeterW

Nice douglas you got for your mast, Peter: Is it imported or from Australian forests? Frank

Thanks Frank - it is such nice wood to plane with a sharp No 6 Bailey.....as well as the small wooden plane I am using for the hollowing side . The wood is imported.. some people over here say it's not available in Oz but there are at least 2 local suppliers I am aware of who carry it; and probably a good few more as well.
    PeterW

Nice job on the mast Peter. Did you get the buff cordage from an Aus supplier?

Thanks Andrew. Rope came from Classic Boat Suppiles up here at Terrey Hills- they do a lot of mail order as well. Picked up some braided (in last pic) as well as some 3 strand for a variety of uses. The braided is particularly nice to handle.

On another matter : are you going to the Geelong Festival in March 2018? A good mate is keynote speaker there and we are going to tag along with the Whilly Tern to firstly the Paynesville Rally in early March and then the Geelong event the next weekend.
    PeterW

I will have to check out Classic boat supplies,. Thanks

Dunno about Geelong cos we’re going away in March, not sure about exact dates. Would be good to go though. I’ll do some homework.

More progress on the boom after a broken bandsaw blade was replaced. Having the sail well ahead of time meant I was able to get the lashings and eyelets in the boom ends in the right place and then ease out the eyelets on both sides for the 4mm line.

Temporary lashing here to check the rough cut of the eyelet holes.

PeterW

Lake Norman,North Carolina and Cedarville, Michigan

I'm watching your rigging details with interest. I hope you continue to document it all for us to learn from.

Thanks, Peter, for sharing your work in such detail. This is a very rewarding thread. Iím wondering, though, if Iím missing out on some of the details that you mean to be including. In my browser view of your most recent post, there are two small, faintly outlined white rectangles where Iím imagining photos may be intended. One is between the two paragraphs of text, and the other is just above your signature.

Is is anyone else seeing this? Thanks!

05D834D1-AE8D-417B-BD9C-EEE307DC222D.jpg

Oh, cool. I got to include a screenshot. Didnít know if that would work on my iPad.

Thanks JT and Chris - the feedback is appreciated. The small squares are caused by me doing something wrong when coding the next pic: usually deleting one too many items in the 'string' before inserting the required code. I am using Dropbox, which works very well when the brain is fully engaged.
    PeterW

A couple of helpers gave me a hand to flip the boat for the final fit-out. It is nice to see the inside again after time spent upside down. The lift gave the tow-ring and lower rudder gudgeon a good test.

Still a bit to do with installation of the thwarts, tank lids, centreboard and completion of the spars. The final details always seem to take longer than you think. Set for a spalsh in January, 2018.
    PeterW

The mast and boom have both received a sealer coat of clear epoxy. This has made the colour really 'pop'. 6 or so coats of varnish will complete the finish. A serious clean-up is on the cards to get rid of a bit of the dust created by the sanding of the spars.

PeterW

Veeeery nice!!

Rick

Looks fantastic Peter.

Thanks Gents - appreciate the comments. One of the nice bits with this part of the project is the nice figure being revelealed in the Douglas Fir spars - particularly where the diameter changes. The first pics is not that sharp but shows one small area.

The sheave box at the top of the mast has been given a coat of graphite-thicked epoxy to help reduce wear. The heel of the mast has been given the same treatment.

PeterW

Hi Peter,

I was thinking to myself this morning that I would copy you and coat my mast heel in graphite-epoxy. Then I thought about all the paint marks on my mast heel, (from inside the boat when trailering, etc.) and I realized that you have just made a giant pencil!

I might re-think this one. Of course you could keep it covered when the rig is struck. I used ladder-mitts for a while, but they were more trouble than they were worth.

Can't wait to see her sail!

Mike
    "near it, a small whale-boat, painted red and blue, the delight of the king's old age."

Thanks Mike....and good point - I hadn't thought about that.

I will also give the mast step a coat of the same stuff and then they can happily scribble away.

I will have to look at some sort of system to secure the spars when trailering. The sail and boom/yard will probably get their own bag (tied down) with the mast to sit in some removeable chocks (??) or on closed cell foam pads.

How do you store your spars when travelling ? Pic?
    PeterW

Peter:
    In case this helps your planning - even though our WEE BONNIE is a Sooty Tern - the mainmast rides in some crutches inserted in the respective mast partners, which also forms a ridge pole when we put on the cover for longer tows . IMG_1491.jpg
    New stern cleat and aft rail chocks.jpg

Ellbee arrives in Los Osos.jpg

The mainsail, yard and boom are furled together and bagged in a long tube cover. The mizzen mast, boom and mizzen sail are rolled up and slipped into another sleeve cover. The oars, and these two bundles are lashed down on the starboard side, spanning between the two buoyancy compartments. It all seems to ride pretty securely that way, especially with the full cover snugged down. (when we transport for a short distance, the cover is left off.) We have subsequently refinished the boat and modified the trailer to have a walk-on platform which makes launching and retrieving must easier at out local ramp.

Your boat is looking great and I look forward to seeing the sailing pictures.

Thanks Craig. That is very useful. The trailer looks very similar to the one I have on order.
    Can I ask what length oars you have?
    Nice boat too!
    PeterW