Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 1011

Thread: A Whiily Tern in Oz

Default Re: A Whilly Tern in Oz

Rudder painting and tiller shaping have both made progress over the last few days. I have attempted a 'short-cut' to get the required bend into the tiller. This involved the clamps and blocks in the pic below with copious amounts of hot water applied to the towels wrapped around the tiller. I am a bit doubtful that this will do the job, although the tiller did become somewhat more limber during the process. Jig will be left overnight and then I will find out if I need to break out the proper steaming set-up.

Also installed a trim piece on the aft face of the bow tank. 'A bit of overkill on the temporary fastenings here.

PeterW

Peter, what do you classify as "copius amounts of hot water" ?
    Assuming you use 'boiling' water direct from the kettle, what time interval did you allow between drenchings ?
    Over what total period of time did you apply the water torture ?
    Do you tighten up on the G clamps with each boiling water application ?
    I am currently trying to correct a small bend over a short length of a musical instrument.
    Cheers from Martin B.
    Mandurah, Western Australia
    mcbunny09@gmail.com

Hi Martin,

The water was applied 5 x over a 5 hr period. I emptied the boiling water straight from the (full) kettle onto the towels so that they had a good soaking. After each soaking I tightened the clamps until I reached the limit of the bend I had allowed for.
    I probably could have put more bend into the tiller (with the clamps) as I was a bit conservative with how I set the blocks up. I think there will certainly be some springback when I remove the clamps: just need to see how much.

Are you able to gently heat your wood with a gentle flame? Scorching the wood is always an issue with this approach.

Good luck.
    PeterW

So, plans A, B and C were brought to bear on the steaming of the tiller and the final result is just under 2" of bend. It was good to get to this amount without having to resort to the bigger steam rig.

A couple of holes for the rudder uphaul/downhaul lines. The front side of both will be eased to provide a smoother lead for the 3/16" line.

Last edited by PeterWidders; 06-19-2017 at 05:05 AM.
    PeterW

Default Re: A Whiily Tern in Oz

Feels good when gerry-building comes off. Well done on the tiller Peter

All terrific as usual! I like the colour scheme! What colour will the sheer plank be?

Rick

Thanks Gents. Last go with the serious steaming rig was 25 + years ago so it was good not to have to fire it up again.
    Rick,
    The sheer plank will be finished clear: resin coat followed by 5 + coats of single pack poly. The inside of the top 2 planks will be finished in the same way with the lower 2 painted light cream. These will mostly be covered by the floorboards (oiled).
    PeterW

The 2 front knees on the for'ard tank have been installed. The timber is huon pine, recycled from an old windowsill from an unknown house in Hobart. I modified an idea I found in an issue of Epoxyworks and used 2 dowels in the base of each knee. The Epoxyworks article used through-dowels: I wanted to avoid drilling through the top surface of the knees' lower arms. The holes for the 1/4" dowels were drilled in the base of the knees first and then I used dowel centres to mark the position on the tank top. The dowels go through the 1/4" ply and then into the cleat for the aft edge of the tank. The dowels are not really structural as I had to keep them short to be able to manoeuvre the knees into position.

Dowel centres in position.

Dowels glued into knee and holes drilled in top of tank.

Knee installed.

PeterW

Looks nice Peter. I also like how the tiller and rudder came out. Very classy.
    Travis.

Thanks Travis - tiller was a bit of a drawn out effort but worth it.
    More work in the last few days on the bow tank. I picked up a really good piece of celery top pine at our local wood show on the weekend and a piece of that has gone onto the top aft edge of the tank. 'Bit of fun with the fit but it turned out nicely.
    Glue-up of the strip:

Clamps off and 1 coat of varnish:

I have also managed to adopt another boat project: our son Greg is 2/3 of the way through the build of his second 'woodie': this one is a 12ft Selway-Fisher 'Thames Skiff'. He is racing time to get it done in time for our local Balmain Regatta at the end of October. 'Should be another nice project.
    PeterW

Made some good progress with the Thames Skiff and a smaller amount with the Whilly Tern.
    The Thames Skiff has been given a few undercaots after some spot fairing. The most recent undercoats have been slightly tinted with topcoat. I have also started on the installation of the 7/8 x 7/8 inch bilge runners which can be seen in their rough state in the pic below.

The topcoat on the inside planking (lower 2 planks only) has been almost completed. The two top planks will be left clear finished as in the pic below.

PeterW

A bit more on each boat today. The skiff was given its first topcoat (partial) today. The colour similarity to the Whilly Tern is a complete accident: the marine topcoat for the skiff was less than 1/2 the price I paid for the Whilly Tern topcoat - 1 of green and 1 of blue....too good to pass up.

The tiller on the Whilly Tern has been fitted with the 2 through-bolts which will attach the tiller to the rudder head. The tiller will be removeable to make it easier to transport. There will be 2 x 1/4" ID tubes in the rudder head to make attachement easier. The bolts are a little over length at the moment - a quick trim and re-thread will see them right.

PeterW

2 boats in the shed makes for an interesting juggling act.
    The Thames skiff was turned yesterday and a plan made for the interior fit-out. First order of business is a set of knees: bow, 2 x in the stern and 2x for the main thwart. We are not sure if the stainless outriggers to be fitted will need more internal reinforcement.
    This pic shows the dry fit of the first stern knee. The grain run could have been a bit better here but it should do the job. The piece of douglas fir has a bit of history: it was from a mantlepiece from my Grandparents' 1920-build house. Should be well seasoned.

The rudder head of the Whilly Tern has been fitted with 2 1/4"ID stainless tubes to take the bronze bolts through the tiller.

The back of the centrecase has also been dry fitted with a padeye for the mainsheet block. This is 1 of 2 blocks gifted to the project by Forumite Graeme (admiral1465) - Many thanks Graeme.

PeterW

'A bit of "boat drift" here with just the Thames Skiff getting most of the work time. The breasthook and first of the main thwart knees have been glued in and the gun'l is getting glued to length.
    I will need to come up with a solution for the glue for'ard of the breasthook.

PeterW

Most recent acquisition for the Whilly Tern is the sail. The local sailmaker was having a winter special that was hard to pass up. We are using the lugsail which has a SA of 83sq ft. 1 set of reef points and a red pennant completed the ensemble.

PeterW

More work on boat boats with the rudder gudgeons attached to the Whilly Tern and some more work on the stern quarter knees and undercaoting of the floor with the Thames skiff.

There was just enough length on the 4" x 1/4" bronze bolts to attach the gudgeons through the celery top pine stem. Sikaflex on the faces, bolt heads and threads will seal the holes.

The Thames Skiff is getting closer to an inside paint job.

PeterW

A bit more work on both projects with the Thames Skiff getting the first topcoat on the interior.

The rear tank of the Whilly Tern has had the lid closed in now that the lower gudgeons are attached to the stem with through bolts.

The Whilly Tern has also been gifted a pair of bronze oarlocks by a mate from his collection. Backing pads of Tassie Myrtle have been dry fitted.

PeterW

[QUOTE=PeterWidders;5263815]Hi Martin,

The water was applied 5 x over a 5 hr period. I emptied the boiling water straight from the (full) kettle onto the towels so that they had a good soaking. After each soaking I tightened the clamps until I reached the limit of the bend I had allowed for.
    I probably could have put more bend into the tiller (with the clamps) as I was a bit conservative with how I set the blocks up. I think there will certainly be some springback when I remove the clamps: just need to see how much.

Thanks for the details here, and looks like you got a great result! I am thinking of making my tiller out of laminated mahogany and white oak, as seen in "Building the Skiff Cabin Boy". I think it makes a classy touch, but without building a steam box for just one part, had wondered about the hot water/towel method. Good to know it's a workable solution. Great build, I've enjoyed tagging along!

Ken

Thanks Ken. 'Good to have you along for the ride.

Plan C with the bending of the tiller also worked quite well. This was to use a heat gun (gently) on the area of bend and slowly tighten the clamp. A plus with this last step was it could be done on the workbench with the tiller upside down with blocks at each end. Using the towels and water meant it had to be outside and the set-up was not quite as effective.

What are you building ? Pics ?
    PeterW

Quote Originally Posted by PeterWidders View Post
    Thanks Ken. 'Good to have you along for the ride.

Plan C with the bending of the tiller also worked quite well. This was to use a heat gun (gently) on the area of bend and slowly tighten the clamp. A plus with this last step was it could be done on the workbench with the tiller upside down with blocks at each end. Using the towels and water meant it had to be outside and the set-up was not quite as effective.

What are you building ? Pics ?
    I just bought plans for the Tammie Norrie. Been dreaming of building a boat for 30+ years, and finally feel the time might be right. My plan is to buy the kit around the first of the year, studying plans and possible making the tiller and strong-back before that, if the holidays don't prevent it. Till then I am living vicariously through other's builds. Your boat looks lovely, great workmanship! Nothing like working with beautiful wood, and enjoying what comes out the other side, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by KenStocker View Post
    Nothing like working with beautiful wood, and enjoying what comes out the other side, huh?
    Absolutely !! I am going at a fairly sedate pace with this build: a big part of the reason is that there are now 2 boats in the shed; but also that it is just so nice to have time to get the small details right and not rush it together.

The Tammie Norrie is a nice boat - good choice. Pics please when you get to it.
    PeterW

Some more progress on the rowlock pads on both boats. The pads for the Thames Skiff needed a 2-step drilling process for the rowlock. The first part of the hole was cut with a 3/4" forstner bit and then then 2nd part was cut with a 5/8" bit. The 3/4" hole was needed for the rowlock holder when the outrigger was extended as in the 2nd pic here. When the outrigger is folded into the boat, the rowlock can be used at the gunwhale side.' Hope that makes sense.

The rowlocks for the Whilly Tern have been given a polish and will be installed soon.

PeterW