• auscruisertom
    • Mar 2011

Re: A Whiily Tern in Oz

[IMG][/IMG]

Comment

• PeterWidders
      • Aug 2002

Re: A Whilly Tern in Oz

Thanks Tom. That is a really nice job. Super gloss on the finish! I am also going with fore and aft tanks but maybe a slightly different layout for paint/varnish. Vive la difference! Hollow spruce spar and same sail as yours.
      PeterW

Comment

• auscruisertom
        • Mar 2011

The paint was two pack sprayed in a sealed unit in a body shop. All the planks and scarfs where laid out on the building frames using light ply templates ,and then transferred to the ply while the chine lines where eyeballed for fairness before scarfing.Any problems I encountered Had to be solved on my own,since I received no help from Ian Outright and it was only the early days of the Internet.

The boat sailed well even without the CB .If I where to build another one I would probably eliminate the CB , Increase the skeg depth and also increase the sheer height of the last plank.

Comment

• PeterWidders
          • Aug 2002

Originally posted by auscruisertom
          The paint was two pack sprayed in a sealed unit in a body shop. All the planks and scarfs where laid out on the building frames using light ply templates ,and then transferred to the ply while the chine lines where eyeballed for fairness before scarfing.Any problems I encountered Had to be solved on my own,since I received no help from Ian Outright and it was only the early days of the Internet.

The boat sailed well even without the CB .If I where to build another one I would probably eliminate the CB , Increase the skeg depth and also increase the sheer height of the last plank.
          Tom, I am interested on your idea to increase the height of the sheer plank.....what was behind this??

More work today: started on the floors for #3 and #6. these will be made from celery top pine.

PeterW

Comment

• PeterWidders
            • Aug 2002

Good progress today with the first plank (stbd garboard) glued on. Doing this single handed with a 14ft plank with an amount of floppiness rewuired a temorary jig above the moulds so that the glue could be applied and then the plank could be lowered without the glue ending up everywhere. The operation also tested the collection of clamps.

Jig to hold the plank above the moulds:

Plank glued and clamped.

PeterW

Comment

• PeterSibley
              • Dec 2001

I recommend ......

'' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
              Grateful Dead

Comment

• andrewpatrol
                • Sep 2010

Peter, if it helps what I did was a dry run with the plank exactly in position and then clamped some stops against "upper edge" on the moulds, then mark lengthways position with some bits of tape. Take plank off, butter it up on the bench, then lift plank and hold it on edge locate against stops and ensure tapes line up, lower into position. I was able to do 22' foot planks on my own like this.

Comment

• auscruisertom
                  • Mar 2011

Originally posted by PeterWidders
                  Tom, I am interested on your idea to increase the height of the sheer plank.....what was behind this??

More work today: started on the floors for #3 and #6. these will be made from celery top pine.

While the lines of the Ness boat are aesthetically pleasing the low freeboard amidships had a habit of scooping large volumes of seawater in gusts if you weren't on the ball.

Comment

• PeterSibley
                    • Dec 2001

Originally posted by auscruisertom
                    While the lines of the Ness boat are aesthetically pleasing the low freeboard amidships had a habit of scooping large volumes of seawater in gusts if you weren't on the ball.

The reason I chose a design with side decks , sorry not a useful suggestion.
                    Grateful Dead

Comment

• PeterWidders
                      • Aug 2002

Thanks Andrew and Peter,
                      Actually fitting the first plank on the Whilly Tern was a bit of a doddle compared to an earlier build where I was dealing with 35ft + strips (3/4" x 1 5/8") on the build of our 34 footer. Again, some simple jigs to hold the planks above the glued plank made for a pretty smooth operation, even single handed.
                      PeterW

Comment

• PeterWidders
                        • Aug 2002

Made a start on the bevels on the first of the garboard planks as well as the first gain at the stern of the same garboard. Thanks to Peter Sibley for the idea of the round dowel to get the bevels right.

PeterW

Comment

• PeterSibley
                          • Dec 2001

I stole it from WB , published some time in the last 20 years..... not my idea but a good one !
                          Grateful Dead

Comment

• PeterSibley
                            • Dec 2001

Originally posted by PeterWidders
                            Thanks Andrew and Peter,
                            Actually fitting the first plank on the Whilly Tern was a bit of a doddle compared to an earlier build where I was dealing with 35ft + strips (3/4" x 1 5/8") on the build of our 34 footer. Again, some simple jigs to hold the planks above the glued plank made for a pretty smooth operation, even single handed.
                            If you have any photos of that build I'd love to see them Peter.
                            Grateful Dead

Comment

• PeterWidders
                              • Aug 2002

Peter .... Assume you mean of the planking process .....will have to dig out a few pre-digital camera snaps and post them Please let me know some specifics and I will dig them out. Here's one of the completed boat: Chuck Paine design...70 built in UK by Victoria Marine as the Victoria 34. I think we may be the only timber one afloat.

PeterW

Comment

• PeterSibley
                                • Dec 2001

Frankly Peter anything. I've never built a strip and veneer hull but the more I learn before I start the better. The design I have in mind is an Albert Strange "Yonne". 26 foot on deck, 4 foot draft.

Grateful Dead

Comment

Working...