Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 1011

Thread: A Whiily Tern in Oz

Default Re: A Whilly Tern in Oz

Rudder painting and tiller shaping have both made progress over the last few days. I have attempted a 'short-cut' to get the required bend into the tiller. This involved the clamps and blocks in the pic below with copious amounts of hot water applied to the towels wrapped around the tiller. I am a bit doubtful that this will do the job, although the tiller did become somewhat more limber during the process. Jig will be left overnight and then I will find out if I need to break out the proper steaming set-up.

Also installed a trim piece on the aft face of the bow tank. 'A bit of overkill on the temporary fastenings here.

PeterW

Peter, what do you classify as "copius amounts of hot water" ?
    Assuming you use 'boiling' water direct from the kettle, what time interval did you allow between drenchings ?
    Over what total period of time did you apply the water torture ?
    Do you tighten up on the G clamps with each boiling water application ?
    I am currently trying to correct a small bend over a short length of a musical instrument.
    Cheers from Martin B.
    Mandurah, Western Australia
    mcbunny09@gmail.com

Hi Martin,

The water was applied 5 x over a 5 hr period. I emptied the boiling water straight from the (full) kettle onto the towels so that they had a good soaking. After each soaking I tightened the clamps until I reached the limit of the bend I had allowed for.
    I probably could have put more bend into the tiller (with the clamps) as I was a bit conservative with how I set the blocks up. I think there will certainly be some springback when I remove the clamps: just need to see how much.

Are you able to gently heat your wood with a gentle flame? Scorching the wood is always an issue with this approach.

Good luck.
    PeterW

So, plans A, B and C were brought to bear on the steaming of the tiller and the final result is just under 2" of bend. It was good to get to this amount without having to resort to the bigger steam rig.

A couple of holes for the rudder uphaul/downhaul lines. The front side of both will be eased to provide a smoother lead for the 3/16" line.

Last edited by PeterWidders; 06-19-2017 at 05:05 AM.
    PeterW

Default Re: A Whiily Tern in Oz

Feels good when gerry-building comes off. Well done on the tiller Peter

Default Re: A Whiily Tern in Oz

All terrific as usual! I like the colour scheme! What colour will the sheer plank be?

Rick

Thanks Gents. Last go with the serious steaming rig was 25 + years ago so it was good not to have to fire it up again.
    Rick,
    The sheer plank will be finished clear: resin coat followed by 5 + coats of single pack poly. The inside of the top 2 planks will be finished in the same way with the lower 2 painted light cream. These will mostly be covered by the floorboards (oiled).
    PeterW