Page 1 of 13 1211 ... LastLast

Thread: A Whiily Tern in Oz

Default A Whilly Tern in Oz

'Long time lurker, occasional responder and first-time poster with a build project. I am building an Oughtred Whilly Tern in Sydney, Australia. This will be build #11 ranging from an R/C model to a 34ft (10m) yacht. I thought it was time to do a different construction type as all others had been either strip plank/cold-moulded/stitch and glue. So glued lapstrake is a new endeavour. Plans arrived last week and while waiting for delivery I built the strongback with one end left unfinished to ensure I could get the length of the stongback right for the double ender. Build will be in 1/4" (6mm) Gaboon Ply with Celery Top Pine stems/aprons/skeg/keelson/gunwales and seats / floorboards of King Billy Pine.

Most recent build was a 19ft Expedition Single from Guillemot Kayaks.

Peter Widders
    Last edited by PeterWidders; 06-20-2017 at 10:37 PM.
    PeterW

Default Re: A Whiily Tern in Oz

Hi Peter. Looking forward to this. Your photos aren't showing though.

Take a look at Thorne's "how to" photos thread

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...hlight=Thornes

Short version... you need to host them somewhere (other than Facebook), such as Photobucket, Flikr or Smugmug... and then link them here.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that" instead of being there saying "I wish I'd done that"

Hello Peter, she'll be a good boat! I've nearly finished a Selway Fisher JIM glued lap and have enjoyed the process.

My next build will be strip with cold moulded overlays so I'll probably have questions for you !!

I live up near the Qld border.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Thanks Peter and Ian,
    I had Thorne's instructions in front of me ...and had assistance from No 1 son ...but we have fallen at the final hurdle. Thanks for the update link ...will try again.
    Peter
    PeterW

Long time lurker, occasional responder and first-time poster with a build project. I am building an Oughtred Whilly Tern in Sydney, Australia. This will be build #11 ranging from an R/C model to a 34ft (10m) yacht. I thought it was time to do a different construction type as all others had been either strip plank/cold-moulded/stitch and glue. So glued lapstrake is a new endeavour. Plans arrived last week and while waiting for delivery I built the strongback with one end left unfinished to ensure I could get the length of the stongback right for the double ender. Build will be in 1/4" (6mm) Gaboon Ply with Celery Top Pine stems/aprons/skeg/keelson/gunwales and seats / floorboards of King Billy Pine.

Most recent build was a 19ft Expedition Single from Guillemot Kayaks.
    PeterW

No images in your post 6 Peter. #5 shows a really lovely kayak and a book I also own a copy of.
    Grateful Dead

Thanks Peter...working on it ...need another ale!!
    PeterW

Peter

Good luck with the build. I am not too far from you in Canberra. I have an Arctic Tern. Oughtred's boats are gems and his plans are exquisite.

Graeme

Best of luck with your build, and do take lots of pictures. You'll find that you may end up posting them here to show how things were done, or answer questions from other new builders.
    "The enemies of reason have a certain blind look."
    Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.

A test of one of the photos Peter's posted on Flickr -

Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.

Default Re: A Whilly Tern in Oz

Working on the strongback and the first lamination for the bow apron (inner stem).
    Still having trouble loading pics despite Thorne's best efforts (sent a pm but Inbox full).

I am starting to think it may be a computer issue as I have followed the procedure scrupulously and still no joy.
    Anyone had this issue ??
    Peter
    PeterW

Would be unusual for it to be a computer issue if you have the photos hosted already at Flickr and you are copy and pasting the link from there to the add images button here on the forum.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
    My First Boat Build:
    http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...acgregor-Canoe
    Iain Oughtred - Macgregor Canoe - 15 foot

Thanks Graeme. Do you hsve a pic or 2 of your Arctic Tern to show? We are tossing around finish 'schemes' and it would be good to see a few others.
    PeterW

Hello Brian ! Good to see you posting !
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by PeterWidders View Post
    Thanks Graeme. Do you hsve a pic or 2 of your Arctic Tern to show? We are tossing around finish 'schemes' and it would be good to see a few others.
    Peter
    I do have some pictures of the boat showing the colour scheme but have yet to work out how to share them on this site. I will let you know as soon as I figure it out!

Graeme

Graeme .... this is the definitive "How to post pictures" thread. http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...hlight=Thornes
    Grateful Dead

Thanks for the advice Peter. I am working on it now. Trying to use Dropbox.

Arctic Tern "Freya" at Goolwa in 2015

Graeme

No image Graeme, just a blue box.
    Grateful Dead

I emptied out my Inbox, but really, nearly 99.9% of the folks here can post images in threads, and they're using many different types of computers, tablets, smartphones, browsers, etc.

Please use Flickr. You can also use Facebook with images set to Public, but the link will break after a few months or so. Google, Dropbox, and several others are fairly difficult to create functioning image links to -- as you've discovered.

I'll guess you're using a PC -- just a guess but I've been working IT for decades. Try a different browser == if you use IE, try Chrome. If you use Chrome, try Firefox. Turn off any ad blockers or other non-standard browser plugins / extensions.

If you follow the instructions EXACTLY they will work. Skip a step and they won't. Trrrruuuuussssttt me !
    Last edited by Thorne; 07-05-2016 at 01:30 AM.

Ok ..using Flickr....and Chrome on a PC. I would rate my IT skills as moderate + while the 2 others here who had a go are ahead of me. I did get it to work for the first 2 pics so not sure while I am still in the "extra-help" group.

When I copy the URL it does not end with.jpg.

I get the same result when I put .jpg on the end or not...??? Still only a small icon posts with either method. No trouble copying pic into a new field on my browser.

Perseverance!! Although I am following the instructions to the absolute letter!!
    PeterW

Gentlemen

I have loaded the photos in Flickr as per instructions and they can be viewed at https://flic.kr/s/aHskC89wKf

Thank you all for your patience. I know mine was sorely tried, but hopefully now I know.

Graeme

Thank you Graeme, she's a lovely boat and well crewed !
    Grateful Dead

https Didn,t work.
    Last edited by ulav8r; 07-05-2016 at 04:46 PM.

Nice job Graeme...thanks for Sharing.
    PeterW

Quote Originally Posted by PeterWidders View Post
    Nice job Graeme...thanks for Sharing.
    Peter

The second boat in one of the photos shows a newly launched Tirrik named Fedelma. The builder and owner, Paul Cleaver, has put some interesting videos on youtube of this boat including one of the build. They are definitely worth a view for seeing his arrangements and rigging details.

Graeme

Grateful Dead

Admiral 1645, Peter Widders and others trying to use DROPBOX; there are a few wrinkles beyond Thorne's well written Image Posting Instructions when using Dropbox.

Note: the 'mobile' or iPad version of Dropbox does not appear to work the way set out below - which does appear to work on my desktop computer running Linux Mint operating system and Firefox web browser.

Assuming you have got your pics sized to about less than 600 pixels wide with whatever software you are using and getting your pics into your Dropbox:-

Open and log in to your Dropbox;

select 'Files'

select 'Folder'
    find the pic you want to post to the Forum, hover over the pic's thumbnail, right click and chose 'Share'.

Wait for popup window, click on 'Create a Link' then 'Copy Link' [or just Copy Link if that is already showing in the popup window]. Note: in Linux Mint operating system and its DB version, another small popup says “Link copied to Clipboard”.

Go to your Woodenboat Forum draft Post; click on the square 'image' icon;
    On the popup "Insert Image” window select 'From URL'; right click and 'paste' the URL of your pic from Clipboard, it should read something like this
    e.g. https://www.dropbox.com/s/ppyilbd6rd...ame1s.jpg?dl=0

Replace the www with dl ( lower case 'L' for Leslie not number one - this will tell your Browser to present the file for download; the www at the beginning of the URL address will open only the preview page, not the actual image).

Change file end from dl=2 or 0 to dl=1 ( this will force your Browser to actually download the file/image.)

Deselect the box for "Retrieve remote file and reference locally", then click the 'OK" button at the bottom of the 'Insert Image" popup window.

WAIT PATIENTLY for pic to load !!

For a better geek explanation see Rich R's response of 30 July 2015 part way down on the following Dropbox Community Forum page
    https://www.dropboxforum.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/203369709--Public-Folder-Putting-Photos-on-a-Forum-

Cheers from Martin B.
    Mandurah, Western Australia
    mcbunny09@gmail.com

Martin

Thank you for the information. Who would have guessed that Dropbox could be so devious. Flickr appears quite a bit more user friendly.

Graeme

Thanks to all for the responses and assistance with posting pics as well as colour scheme ideas.. Special thanks to Thorne and Martin. As can be seen, I have been able to get Dropbox to 'play ball' so will stay with that platform.
    The build is proceeding well with 2 stem aprons laminated from King Billy Pine and trimmed and marked. Moulds are almost set and braced into position and the keelson has been made.

PeterW

Exciting progress! A man can't have too many clamps.

Graeme

Nice looking work. Thanks for posting! Where are you sourcing your timber from?

Hi Shaun - thanks for the feedback.
    Timbers are from a range of sources:
    King Billy and Celery Top Pine are from pieces I picked up from a fellow kayaker I met on the Lane Cove River earlier this year. He was a builder in Hobart and kept an amount of old stuff pulled out of houses in Hobart. Included are a window sill in Huon Pine and some nice pieces of clear King Billy and Celery Top - a real find. I also have some left over King Billy from the kayak Build; that came from Morrisons on the dock at Strahan, Tasmania when we were down there for the 2013 AWB Festival.
    I also sourced some very nice Celery Top Pine from Distinctive Timbers in Devonport, Tas for a new double bed I built.
    6mm Gaboon Ply is from Drive Marine Services - Beverly Hills.

I had meant to reply to your thread about the design of your boat. It looks very similar to the 29ft 'Tocade' sloop we owned for 14 years. It was an Illingworth and Primrose design built by Hald and Johannson at Dee Why, Sydney in the 60s. Reverse sheeer and full keel...very much like yours.
    PeterW

More work today on either end of the boat. The bow apron is shown below with a dry fit to the keelson. The apron has been fastened (screw) to the front end of the building frame and also has 2 braces each side, midway back to station 1. This will help minimise movement when planking starts.

The ply for the planking has also been collected: 6 sheets of 1/4" (6mm) with 2 sheets of 1/8" (3mm) MDF for plank patterns.
    PeterW