X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Admiral1645
    • Jan 2016

Re: A Whiily Tern in Oz

Originally posted by PeterWidders
    Thanks Graeme. Do you hsve a pic or 2 of your Arctic Tern to show? We are tossing around finish 'schemes' and it would be good to see a few others.
    Petebr /> I do have some pictures of the boat showing the colour scheme but have yet to work out how to share them on this site. I will let you know as soon as I figure it out!

Graeme

Comment

• PeterSibley
      • Dec 2001

Graeme .... this is the definitive "How to post pictures" thread. http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...hlight=Thornes
      '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
      Grateful Dead

Comment

• Admiral1645
        • Jan 2016

Thanks for the advice Peter. I am working on it now. Trying to use Dropbox.

Comment

• Admiral1645
          • Jan 2016

Arctic Tern "Freya" at Goolwa in 2015

Graeme

Comment

• PeterSibley
            • Dec 2001

No image Graeme, just a blue box.
            Grateful Dead

Comment

• Thorne
              Like my hat?
              • Aug 2005

I emptied out my Inbox, but really, nearly 99.9% of the folks here can post images in threads, and they're using many different types of computers, tablets, smartphones, browsers, etc.

Please use Flickr. You can also use Facebook with images set to Public, but the link will break after a few months or so. Google, Dropbox, and several others are fairly difficult to create functioning image links to -- as you've discovered.

I'll guess you're using a PC -- just a guess but I've been working IT for decades. Try a different browser == if you use IE, try Chrome. If you use Chrome, try Firefox. Turn off any ad blockers or other non-standard browser plugins / extensions.

If you follow the instructions EXACTLY they will work. Skip a step and they won't. Trrrruuuuussssttt me !
              Last edited by Thorne; 07-05-2016, 12:30 AM.
              "The enemies of reason have a certain blind look."
              Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.

Comment

• PeterWidders
                • Aug 2002

Ok ..using Flickr....and Chrome on a PC. I would rate my IT skills as moderate + while the 2 others here who had a go are ahead of me. I did get it to work for the first 2 pics so not sure while I am still in the "extra-help" group.

When I copy the URL it does not end with.jpg.

I get the same result when I put .jpg on the end or not...??? Still only a small icon posts with either method. No trouble copying pic into a new field on my browser.

Perseverance!! Although I am following the instructions to the absolute letter!!
                PeterW

Comment

• Admiral1645
                  • Jan 2016

Gentlemen

I have loaded the photos in Flickr as per instructions and they can be viewed at https://flic.kr/s/aHskC89wKf

Thank you all for your patience. I know mine was sorely tried, but hopefully now I know.

Graeme

Comment

• PeterSibley
                    • Dec 2001

Thank you Graeme, she's a lovely boat and well crewed !
                    Grateful Dead

Comment

• ulav8r
                      • Apr 2012

https Didn,t work.
                      Last edited by ulav8r; 07-05-2016, 03:46 PM.

Comment

• PeterWidders
                        • Aug 2002

Nice job Graeme...thanks for Sharing.
                        PeterW

Comment

• Admiral1645
                          • Jan 2016

Originally posted by PeterWidders
                          Nice job Graeme...thanks for Sharing.
                          Petebr />
                          The second boat in one of the photos shows a newly launched Tirrik named Fedelma. The builder and owner, Paul Cleaver, has put some interesting videos on youtube of this boat including one of the build. They are definitely worth a view for seeing his arrangements and rigging details.

Graeme

Comment

• PeterSibley
                            • Dec 2001

Grateful Dead

Comment

• Martin B.
                              • Jun 2013

Admiral 1645, Peter Widders and others trying to use DROPBOX; there are a few wrinkles beyond Thorne's well written Image Posting Instructions when using Dropbox.

Note: the 'mobile' or iPad version of Dropbox does not appear to work the way set out below - which does appear to work on my desktop computer running Linux Mint operating system and Firefox web browser.

Assuming you have got your pics sized to about less than 600 pixels wide with whatever software you are using and getting your pics into your Dropbox:-

Open and log in to your Dropbox;

select 'Files'

select 'Folder'
                              find the pic you want to post to the Forum, hover over the pic's thumbnail, right click and chose 'Share'.

Wait for popup window, click on 'Create a Link' then 'Copy Link' [or just Copy Link if that is already showing in the popup window]. Note: in Linux Mint operating system and its DB version, another small popup says “Link copied to Clipboard”.

Go to your Woodenboat Forum draft Post; click on the square 'image' icon;
                              On the popup "Insert Image” window select 'From URL'; right click and 'paste' the URL of your pic from Clipboard, it should read something like this
                              e.g. https://www.dropbox.com/s/ppyilbd6rd...ame1s.jpg?dl=0

Replace the www with dl ( lower case 'L' for Leslie not number one - this will tell your Browser to present the file for download; the www at the beginning of the URL address will open only the preview page, not the actual image).

Change file end from dl=2 or 0 to dl=1 ( this will force your Browser to actually download the file/image.)

Deselect the box for "Retrieve remote file and reference locally", then click the 'OK" button at the bottom of the 'Insert Image" popup window.

WAIT PATIENTLY for pic to load !!

For a better geek explanation see Rich R's response of 30 July 2015 part way down on the following Dropbox Community Forum page
                              https://www.dropboxforum.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/203369709--Public-Folder-Putting-Photos-on-a-Forum-

Cheers from Martin B.
                              Mandurah, Western Australia
                              [email protected]

Comment

• Admiral1645
                                • Jan 2016

Martin

Thank you for the information. Who would have guessed that Dropbox could be so devious. Flickr appears quite a bit more user friendly.

Graeme

Comment

Working...