Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 56

Thread: A Whiily Tern in Oz

Default Re: A Whilly Tern in Oz

Especially when it is 37C +. Small batches of glue and make sure the sweat doesn't drip into the mix.
    PeterW

More work on the fore and aft tanks. I have added approx 3/4" (20mm) crown to the inner edges of the tanks (on centreline) so that the tops of the tanks would not look concave when done.
    My next question is whether I build hatches on the top of the tanks or on the vertical faces. There are pros and cons for each and at the moment I am leaning slightly toward hatches on the vertical faces.

I would be grateful for advice from those who have experience of this and what led to the choice made.

Here are the 2 options I am considering:

Thanks in advance for the suggestions/comments.
    PeterW

Picked up some douglas fir today for the spars. Pieces are clears with very nice grain patterns and will be enough for the mast, boom and yard (lug rig). Floorboard to be picked up tomorrow hopefully.
    Other work has slowed a bit while I chase around for some rudder gudgeons and pintles. The gudgeons are a bit hard to come by as they need to be a 'u' shape (like the pintles) to fit the aft stem. Classic Marine (UK) has a flush fitting gudgeon that may do the job. Mast will be 2 staves per side and hollow, while the boom and yard will be solid.

PeterW

Default Re: A Whiily Tern in Oz

Making the spars will be fun Peter !
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Have you tried Wooden Boat Fittings from Canberra?

http://www.woodenboatfittings.com.au/

Rick

Yes ...have an email in to them at the moment.
    Looking forward to the spar making....sharpen up the planes and find the spar gauge!
    PeterW

Made a sample for the mast so that I could test out the amount of hollow and the lamination plan. The mast has a max thickness of 2 3/4" on a 14ft length (lug rig). The sample came out with a wall thickness of about 27% which is a bit conservative but I will probably go with something like that on the real thing. Boom and yard will be hollow as well: 'bit fussy but yard will be lighter for it and I could not get the size of Doug Fir to do the boom in a solid piece.

Need better orientation of grain on a couple of pieces here.

PeterW

That mast section looks very good Peter.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Thanks Peter. It was the result of a fair amount of doodling, rubbing out and 'false starts' before I even got to the sample piece.
    The heat today meant it was not great in the shed but I made a start on the first 2 floorboards on the port side. The first one was the most fiddly and needed 2 patterns (card and then MDF) before cutting the blackbutt boards.
    The plans called for 5 3/4" floorboards. I could only get 4 3/4" so the trade-off may be a third floorboard is needed on each side.

PeterW

Made a start on the rudder: this will be a pivoting board made of 2 layers of 1/2" ply with 1/2" cheek pieces and 1" filler piece. Hopefully picking up some hardware this weekend. Plans were drawn full size on a piece of corflute board.

PeterW

More work on the rudder. I am hoping to pick up some hardware on Saturday.

PeterW

Hi Peter. Looking great!

I noticed your floorboard spacing is quite wide, which is the way Iain has drawn it. I made mine quite a bit smaller, maybe 1/4" or 6mm.
    If you choose to do that, it might help make your extra floorboard wider and more like the others.

[IMG]halyard cleat by Michael Owen, on Flickr[/IMG]
    "near it, a small whale-boat, painted red and blue, the delight of the king's old age."

Thanks Mike- that's worth a look. I just have 10mm packers in at the moment to get the spacing...nothing attached, so time for a bit of a fiddle around. What width are your floorboards?

Another issue I have been pondering is the placement of the mainsheet system. My plans are a bit different to yours in the treatment of the aft end or the (pivoting) centreboard. I would be grateful for a pic of how you attached your mainsheet system at the hull side of things.
    Thanks for the suggestion on the floorboards.
    PeterW

Picked up the first of the bronze fittings. These are for the rudder and the bow ring. The rest are on back-order. 'A mix of fittings from UK- Davey and the Classic Marine offshoot.

PeterW