Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 8910 ... LastLast

Thread: A Whiily Tern in Oz

Default Re: A Whiily Tern in Oz

Jim, I'm adding 190 pound of buoyancy to each side of my JIM 18 footer plus the quite large fore and aft sealed volumes.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Default Re: A Whilly Tern in Oz

Thanks Jim,
    Your build sounds interesting. I also have a background in schools (former career) and can empathise with the disappointment of not getting the next project approved.
    The Whilly Tern also has an offset centreboard, which made for some interesting planning before and cuting took place.
    On the matter of buoyancy,Iain Oughtred mentions bags as an alternative to tanks. I would have one or the other (or combination of both as Peter has done with Jim): I went for tanks to free up space under the seats (where bags could go) for leg room in the main area of the boat.
    Good luck with the retro-fit.
    PeterW

Lake Norman,North Carolina and Cedarville, Michigan

Thanks Peter. Keep posting, you have been an inspiration!
    -Jim

Jim - happy to keep posting here: such a great resource of inspiration, dreams and the super-important practical stuff. How about some pics of your when you get underway?

Put the first bit of paint on the interior today. This was in the bow tank to make it a bit easier to see things once the lids are on. The interior will have the top 2 strakes clear (except in the fore and aft tanks) with the rest of the strakes a light cream finish. Floorboards and trim will be clear finished (varnish & Deks Olje). Primer is International.

Here's a before and after look. Interesting that the camera picked up an unfair beam that had escaped me.

PeterW

Looks great. I like those knees.
    Travis.

Thanks Travis....I think I pinched a bit of the idea from your build ......

More work on the floorboards today and the first topcoat in the for'ard tank. The colour is International Snow White with a few dribbles of Sandstone (same brand).
    The floorboards have been dry fitted and will probably finish with a 1/4" gap and turn buttons to hold them down. Still working on the spacing with the 2 centreline boards. I will need a 3rd floorboard each side due to using narrower boards than plans call for.

PeterW

Looking great Peter!

Rick

Thanks Rick. It's getting to the stage where there are some bits where there seems to be more to show for the work. Here's a before and after shot of the inside painting. The red tape is masking the areas where the bulkhead trim (cleats) woll go as well as the 3 bench knees per side. The 2 upper planks will be clear finished.

PeterW

Peter:

Congrats on your lovely build. Application of the paint makes for dramatic visual change. And just a note in case it has not yet crossed your mind, when you set up for the floorboard turnbuttons, if possible recess them so that the tops are flush with the upper surface of the floorboards (I just finished going back to do this on our ST floorboards). This helps keep from kicking them and provides, of course a smoother surface should you care to stretch out on them. But you probably already have that in mind.

Looking forward to more images as you can.

Thanks Craig.
    My quilter wife and her mates say fabric "sings" when placed in the right combinations. I reckon this is pretty much the same with paint/varnish and wood combinations .
    I have been mulling over the turnbutton issue and am still in 2 minds. It would be great to have a pic or 2 of your new versions to help my thinking. My plans call for a 3/8" (10mm) gap between planks. Is this what you have?
    PeterW

will do, Peter. We are going to be out on the water with her today, so i'll take some pics and post them this evening.

Craig

[IMG] [/IMG]
    Peter: When I replaced the initial 5/8" thick DF floorboards because they were too flexible, I had some 1" thick stock on hand. I used the initial floorboards as patterns for layout and to accurately locate the "towers" which held the turn buttons. I then added a 3/8" cap to the top of each of the "towers" to bring the turn buttons to the top of the floorboards. however, after sailing with them underfoot, we concluded that recessing them would be safer and more comfortable. After removing the turn buttons, I used a suitable sized hole saw, marked on its outside for the correct depth, and set the centering bit in the screw holes. Once each of the areas had been scored down to the needed depth, I took the floorboards to the bench and free-handed a router to remove the waste inboard of the scoring cuts. I also went back and chiseled off those additions I had glued to the "towers". What you see in the above pictures is the result of a "long-way-around" process. HTH your planning,
    Craig
    Last edited by MAGIC's Craig; 03-23-2017 at 03:49 PM. Reason: punctuation

Craig - many thanks for the pics: very helpful.

I'm not sure if I will be able to do the buttons the way you have done yours. I am using 1/2" (12mm) floorboards. They are recycled blackbutt (local hardwood here) and plenty stiff.
    I am thinking I will need to try and place the buttons out of the way of toes .....easier said than done??

A bit of experimentation will be in order first with some offcuts to see what works.

A bit of a "light-bulb" moment occurred while doing the washing up this morning: the simplest fix would possibly be to add another piece under the floorboards where the buttons will be located and then have the recess for the button the full thickness of the upper board.
    Last edited by PeterWidders; 03-23-2017 at 06:38 PM. Reason: New plan.
    PeterW

More fit-out work today with the side bench knees dry fitted and the aft tank hatch lid and trim piece also tried. The next job will be to get the tops of the side bench knees levelled up. 2 boards arriving soon for the side benches.

2 views of the side bench knees.

PeterW

Very nice Peter, are you planning attachment points should you decide to fit buoyancy bags? I'm fitting 180 kg of lift in JIM, 90 kg each side .They should make it easier to get her up on her bottom WHEN I flip her.
    Grateful Dead

Coming together well Peter.

Thanks Gents. I'm not planning on bags. Reckon the 2 tanks will do the job. Plus I need somewhere to fold my legs into/under...what's the saying .....? I'm on the vertically gifted side of things.
    PeterW

I have large volumes fore and aft but the centre of that buoyancy is high and perhaps not as much help as I had thought, the buoyancy needs to be where you need it, my thoughts anyway.
    Grateful Dead

Have taken up Craig's idea of the flush floorboard buttons with a sample made today. The hole in the sample is 1 3/8". I will need to make this a bit bigger ...maybe 2" or 2 1/2". The 1 3/8" forstner bit was the largest one I have at the moment. I am planning to have one button hold down 2 boards to reduce the number I will need. Floorboard spacing on the sample is 3/8".
    Also glued in the mast step.

Just visible here is the drain hole in the mast step.

PeterW

First coat of Deks Olje #1 on the floorboards has lifted their appearance. I am still mulling over how to install the turnbuttons to retain the floorboards. At the moment the dummy-run has the centre-of-floorboard version in front. The 3rd floorboard will be fastened with screws as they will probably be less likely to need removal to clean out debris etc: time will tell.

PeterW

The procrastination is over with the starboard side floorboards readied for the installation of turnbuttons. The final choice was to use a 1 3/8" (35mm) forstner bit in the centre of the board. Each floorboard will have 3 turnbuttons with the outer 3rd board being screwed to the floors.

Final pic is of a roughed-out button - made from the same stock as the floorboards.

PeterW

Peter

In my experience you will need to remove all the floorboards from time to time: leaves, sand and tiny stones seem to be attracted to these places!

If you use turn buttons made from offcuts of half round brass keel protective stripping you may not need to worry about recessing them into the bottom boards, particularly if you locate the turnbuttons under the thwarts.

I'm mighty envious of that blackbutt. It looks superb with the Deks Olje on it.

Graeme

I'm watching with interest Peter. My sole board fitting got put on hold and frankly I've nearly decided to use ply instead, largely because it's so much easier to fit and lighter.
    Grateful Dead

Are you OK up there with all the water?
    PeterW

I live 200m up in the hills so I'm fine, down by the river is frankly a disaster. Murwillumbah is my nearest town.
    Grateful Dead

Good to hear Peter. Too much loss of life and damage over a very large area of the east coast.

Graeme - I have not made a final call on the 3rd floorboards as yet. The plans call for 2 per side but the blackbutt is a bit narrower than plans specify. I am waiting until I get the timber for the side benches (here Sat) to see what I need in the space under the inner edges of the side benches and the outer edge of floorboards #2. And yes ...the Deks Olje #1 has really "popped" the floorboards.
    PeterW

I know it may require some changes here and there Peter, but what about if you notch those seat supports so the third plank locates under them and put some turn buttons in between planks.
    Just throwing it out there..

Thanks Andrew....I am sorta thinking along those lines : will wait and see how the side benches shape up (visually and space-wise) and then look to get some more flooring material. Screws or turnbuttons will be in the mix.
    PeterW

Work on the 2 parts of the rudder this afternoon. The upper housing has a tube at the lower aft edge where the rudder blade downhaul runs. This needed a bit of careful lining up on the drill press to ensure things were good in 2 planes. The blade has a small hole in the trailing edge for the rudder uphaul line. The rope shown is a bit garish for this ship. I will probably go with a 3 strand rope from Langman Ropes: plans call for 3/16" (5mm) but I think it only comes in 4mm or 6mm. The rudder downhaul terminates in an athwartships hole in the top of the blade while the uphaul will get an eyesplice onto the blade.

PeterW

Started on the side bench seat for the port side. The timber is Hoop Pine. 2 patterns were made: this is the 2nd one.

Laying the pattern onto the first board for marking out.

Rough cut and first fit.
    PeterW

More work on the side benches and the knees supporting the benches. Both side benches have been given a sealer varnish coat while the 3 post side knees have been glued to the hull.

PeterW

Made a start on the base for the floorboard turnbuttons. The bases will be hidden below the floorboards in normal usage. I am still tossing up on screw vs bolt for the fastening for the turnbuttons.

PeterW

Very nice work Peter !
    Grateful Dead

Thanks Peter. Have you made any more progress on your floorboards for Jim? The Kathleen Gee project looks like a very worthwhile distraction.

'Made some more blocks for the turnbutton assemblies. Each of the 12 needed (so far - there may be more with a 3rd floorboard planned for each side) is different in size and bottom bevel needs. So a tracking system is needed to ensure (hopefully) I can keep track of what has been made and what is next on the list.

PeterW

9 of 12 blocks made to date and given a sealer coat. One end of each block will be attached to a floor with each base also glued to the hull planking. I needed to leave one end of each block clear but wasn't smart enough to put an 'x' on the correct face and then came to grief a couple of times when the attention span failed. Lower pieces are celery top pine while each top strip is blackbutt (same as floorboards).

PeterW