Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 23

Thread: Workboats Of The Chesapeake Bay

Default Re: Workboats Of The Chesapeake Bay

"It is also interesting to see that the Chesapeake was a good decade behind in adopting gasoline engines to the fishery which you can see in the census data."

I can't explain what happened on the western side of the bay. However the Eastern Shore was about 50 years behind the rest of the nation developmentally. Construction of the bay bridge had a dramatic effect on the Eastern Shore population. It wouldn't surprise me if back in 1900 that technology would be delayed.

This paper pulls together many of the questions and comments found in this thread. It makes for interesting reading.

The Migration of the Sharpie:

Environmental, Economic, and Archaeological Aspects

By: Lauren A. Rotsted
    February, 2015

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...WDzuUEOuI5-SWw

Interesting paper but there are flaws that the advisor should have caught. Thanks for finding it.

No reference at all to Hall's Shipbuilding which is difficult to believe.

Mystic has two examples of oystering dugouts which were missed and speak strongly to the flatbottom cross planked construction importance. Also some examples of what were called sharpie skiffs in RI skiff whose sides are vertical enough to be able to take cross plank nails as opposed to flat irons which mostly needed a chine as a nailer.

Kunhardt and Clapham were early Forest and Stream writers and proponents of pleasure boating. The idea of the V bottom may hve originated there; and it is interesting to think of this as a vector for the V bottom or deadrise hull concept to get into the Chesapeake. Certainly the boats that the writer cites are pleasure craft not work boats.

The log buiit boat have nothing to do with sharpies ( the canoes predate them and do have a similar LB ratio) brograns and bugeyes are totally different animals. Built different , different LB ratio. They do share the triangular sail shapes.

The North Carolina sharpies have a clear vector from New Haven and retained their flat bottom. See Chapelle's Migration. I think the Great Lakes boats do as well but I don't know that story.

The whole steam thing should have dropped as totally irrelevant. For boats ( not vessels,,,, another thing the advisor should have caught) steam engines were rarely used, almost only in naval and pleasure launches as they were expensive and took up too much room. The boat fishery (undocumented 5 tons and under and inshore sail) did not convert to power until gasoline.

Missed completely and much more important is the importance of the internal combustion engine.

Some sources like Sucher are not to be relied on for history, as he does not provide data. And Chapelle needs to be read carefully. For any non primary sources one always needs to ask how do they know that?
    Ben Fuller
    Ran Tan, Liten Kuhling, Tipsy, Tippy, Josef W., Merry Mouth, Imp, Macavity, Look Far, Flash and a quiver of other 'yaks.
    "Bound fast is boatless man."

My son is putting a roof on for a friend of his that is a waterman on the ocean side of Virginia's Eastern Shore. He has this 40' round stern deadrise sitting in his yard and I knew I had to post pictures of it. It was built in 1950 in Deltaville. What was most significant to me is that I owned one exactly like it in 1981 that was the same year and also built in Deltaville. For those of you not familiar with the Bay boats, the round stern made it more sea kindly in a following sea while pulling crab pots. This worked but the men wanted to go faster and carry more weight and fish more pots. The beam grew to about 15' and a box stern, as they call it, was needed to make them plane good.

man if she could talk ...

It's been my impression that those Chesapeake Bay boats just won't sink. Saw this one in Rock Hall a while back.

IMG_20161021_124612933.jpg
    -Dave

Good looking boats, even when they have been unattended.

Quote Originally Posted by Woxbox View Post
    It's been my impression that those Chesapeake Bay boats just won't sink. Saw this one in Rock Hall a while back.

That one has seen better days!

Another variant is the deadrise charter fishing boat. They usually featured a canopy over the cockpit to provide the sports some shade and the cabin was lengthened up front to accomodate a couple of bunks. The example shown here was launched in '43 and worked the charter trade for six or seven years before her captain got a desk job and kept the boat for his own fishing and cruising. I'm told the style used to be common, but it clearly went out of favor when fiberglass came along. In the 19 years we've owned her, I've seen about a half-dozen other examples around the northern Chesapeake.

Lady Anne Jamaica Point.JPG

Very pretty. What does she have for power?

The present engine is a Crusader - basically a marinized GM 350. When we got the boat she had a Chrysler V8 which, on a good day, thought it was a V6. An earlier owner told me the original was a Plymouth straight-eight.

Obviously someone is keeping this pumped out. Reminds me of a boat owned by a guy nick named Hard Crab 27 years ago when I lived there.
    Last edited by navydog; 07-11-2018 at 08:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chenier View Post
    The present engine is a Crusader - basically a marinized GM 350. When we got the boat she had a Chrysler V8 which, on a good day, thought it was a V6. An earlier owner told me the original was a Plymouth straight-eight.
    Very nice, ...and simple. That probably moves her pretty well.

Quote Originally Posted by Chenier View Post
    Another variant is the deadrise charter fishing boat. They usually featured a canopy over the cockpit to provide the sports some shade and the cabin was lengthened up front to accomodate a couple of bunks. The example shown here was launched in '43 and worked the charter trade for six or seven years before her captain got a desk job and kept the boat for his own fishing and cruising. I'm told the style used to be common, but it clearly went out of favor when fiberglass came along. In the 19 years we've owned her, I've seen about a half-dozen other examples around the northern Chesapeake.

Lady Anne Jamaica Point.JPG
    What a beauty! I have not seen one like this.

chenier, that sure is a nice looking boat. do you have anymore pics of her-interior etc.?

jim

Here's a pic of the cockpit. Sorry about the flag - the wind kept twisting it up.

IMG_4612.jpg

Other pics I have of the interior are embedded in the periodic surveys but I haven't extracted them yet.

Here's a photo of the boat in her original colors as the Candace Jane. The owner before us decided all that redwood on the cabin sides was too much upkeep.

Candace Jane 1988 Side.jpg

Downingtown Pa (S/V Andantino down in Rock Hall, Md)

Love the buyboats... there are two at my dock in Rock Hall.

One of my goals in life is to build a smith island crab life just like the one in the Chesapeake bay Maritime Museum.
    There is a joy in madness, that only mad men know. -Nieztsche

I was sailing through Knapps Narrows a few weeks ago. wish I took pictures of the remains of two buyboats on the south side of the narrows.

That boat actually has sunk several times. I have informed my wife that if someone finds the title, I'm gonna pull it around to the boat ramp at high tide and traile it home to my shop to rebuild...

Now that's crazy talk. Build a new boat, if you fix that you would build a new boat plus dispose of an old one.

Surprisingly there are quite a large number of buy boats still afloat, maybe more of them then the party boat type Chenier has. Although I did see one on the Middle River last week.

Quote Originally Posted by navydog View Post
    Now that's crazy talk. Build a new boat, if you fix that you would build a new boat plus dispose of an old one.
    I agree with him as others have said "run don't walk away from this one"

Here's a Chesapeake sharpie that was last run under power. I strongly suspect it started life under sail. Chapelle addresses your question, as I recall, stating that indeed sharpies were in wide use up and down the Chesapeake before the evolution of boats more specific to the bay and commercial needs.

Here is that same sharpie with the masts up.

cbbm053.JPG

Where was this last picture taken?

2011 mid Atlantic small craft festival at CBMM. Not by me, I found it online.

Here another from here: http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...aritime-museum

download.jpg
    Last edited by Stōs; 09-02-2018 at 12:08 PM.

I found this buy boat on the Middle River today.
    Attached Images Attached Images