Thread: MORC Boat

Default MORC Boat

I remember reading an article, many years ago, in Wooden Boat, about an MORC class boat. Might have been built by the designer, and I think it might have been in the San Francisco Bay area. I could not find the article in my collection. Does anyone remember? Is this the article: Morch, Erik, author: "Building the BRUCE," 20:87? Thank you.

Default Re: MORC Boat

Quote Originally Posted by Superfluous View Post
    I remember reading an article, many years ago, in Wooden Boat, about an MORC class boat. Might have been built by the designer, and I think it might have been in the San Francisco Bay area. I could not find the article in my collection. Does anyone remember? Is this the article: Morch, Erik, author: "Building the BRUCE," 20:87? Thank you.
    Nope, the Bruce described in that article was an International 14.

MORC class is the Midget Offshore Racing Class boats, I think they mostly worked under 25Ft and a few tonnes. Was a size-limited but open class to encourage small offshore keelboat racing to combat the larger class boat rules.

There was some thought that smaller boats were (probably rightly) unfairly handicapped, so they made a short-lived association and class rule for an open class.

You're looking for an article about a keelboat, something between 20-30ft, and an offshore racer. That might narrow the search.

Edit: Quick google tells me there's apparently still clubs racing under MORC rules at this size, and it's sub 34 feet, and it's the Midget Ocean Racing Club.

There's a cold-molded Gary-Mull designed 30 footer for sale in the Bay Area right now. It's probably able to race under MORC, which has been long-defunct hereabouts. I believe the boats name is Pretty Penny, but I could be wrong in that.

MORC was for <30-footers. The "Maxi-MORC" boats were 29.9 footers like the Andrews 30, Kirby 30, Capo 30/Olson 911S, Santana 3030, Lindenberg 30 (which Schock built a few as the Wavelength 30. They still make good ocean racing boats, IMHO.
    CLC Skerry = "Vingilothiel"

Quote Originally Posted by Alan H View Post
    There's a cold-molded Gary-Mull designed 30 footer for sale in the Bay Area right now. It's probably able to race under MORC, which has been long-defunct hereabouts. I believe the boats name is Pretty Penny, but I could be wrong in that.

MORC was for <30-footers. The "Maxi-MORC" boats were 29.9 footers like the Andrews 30, Kirby 30, Capo 30/Olson 911S, Santana 3030, Lindenberg 30 (which Schock built a few as the Wavelength 30. They still make good ocean racing boats, IMHO.
    Pretty Penny and my boat Lively Lady are superb 30.7 boats. PP has been nicely finished and kept by Bruce who also owns Shadow. It would be my hope to see such a MORC restored and wish they would let us compete under those rules. My boat kept up with the Farrillon Clippers this year int the master Mariners Regatta - taken a 1st in the Ocean Class over the much bigger sloops.

Pretty Penny

Lively Lady.

Self-Awareness Isn't a Magic Bullet, But It Is Step One.
    Politcal posts require a ugly boat photo with each comment. Hope i run out of photos before i run out of comments.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Hoppe View Post
    Pretty Penny and my boat Lively Lady are superb 30.7 boats. PP has been nicely finished and kept by Bruce who also owns Shadow. It would be my hope to see such a MORC restored and wish they would let us compete under those rules. My boat kept up with the Farrillon Clippers this year int the master Mariners Regatta - taken a 1st in the Ocean Class over the much bigger sloops.
    Couple of years ago there was a Mull 30 for sale up in Bodega Bay. Was that one of these two?

From the pictures and drawings I've seen, your boat looks like an eminently sensible and fast 30-footer. I bet she's a joy to sail shorthanded, too.

As an aside, there were a number of quarter-tonners in the 70's that were semi-owner built hereabouts, though I think that the tradition of ..."a bunch of guys get together, build a boat and race it" is likely stronger in the UK than it was here in the Bay Area.