Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 152425

Thread: Kotik, Kotik, Kotik!

Default Re: Kotik, Kotik, Kotik!

Thanks for your good wishes, Grant. I am confident that it will be a full recovery but it will take all of this summer. Just one of the "storms of life", really. Heave to and ride it out!
    Cheers,
    Ian
    “Old Joke: ‘A bench fitter works to the nearest thousandth of an inch. A loco fitter (steam) works to the nearest inch. A shipwright works to the nearest ship’.”
    Alan Byde, Canoe Design and Construction, Pelham Books, 1978

“...old maxim, 'A fair line supersedes any given measurement'.”
    Allan H. Vaitses, Lofting, International Marine, 1980

Hi guys,

My second chemo treatment on 14th January was adjusted from the first one so I didn't have the bad reaction again. I'm just going along quietly, reading a few books (including Thad's again), and watching a bit more TV, including the America's Cup. We went to a talk at the yacht club last Saturday by a young
    American woman, Elana Connor, who has sailed her yacht to New Zealand by herself (and small dog) and is now doing a figure 8 course around NZ to raise money for her favourite charity, for underprivileged children. She said she had had a rough upbringing herself, but had given herself permission to find joy in her own way. It was very interesting.

Here are a couple of photos of Kotik in mothballs, under a 22ft caravan cover. Alison made a "sock" for the mast, and our son Andrew helped her put the cover on. It's good to have a helpful family.

P1010795.jpg

P1010798.jpg

Cheers,
    Ian

“Old Joke: ‘A bench fitter works to the nearest thousandth of an inch. A loco fitter (steam) works to the nearest inch. A shipwright works to the nearest ship’.”

Hey Ian

Good to see you doing considerably well on that route.
    Best wishes from the dark, stormy and rainy pastures at the Baltic Sea.
    Due to corvid there is no chance to go some place like your yacht club.
    That was surely a cool event.
    Well it is not too bad as I´m brooding about small details at the Henry and build small hardware for the rig from carbon.
    Cheers
    Max

Thanks, Max. Good to hear from you. I admire your skills and enjoy your cheerful postings.
    Cheers,
    Ian

Hi Ian,
    Coming to you via the cell phone and free wifi courtesy of the Top Ten Holiday park Waihi beach.
    Glad to hear the second treatment is going well, you will be out sailing before you know it.
    It’s good to have a supportive family, my 87 year old dad was diagnosed with prostate cancer last week so I will be spending more time with him and mum while sorting it out.
    On a lighter note ,the Mahurangi Regatta is shaping up to be a goodie. When you are sorted it would be worth your while to make the trek north and bring Kotik up for it as she would definitely make an impression.
    Cheers,
    Mike.
    Last edited by Mike1902; 01-20-2021 at 09:02 PM.

Thanks, Mike. Sorry to hear about your father.
    The thing about my not going sailing, is that there is some plumbing in my right arm which could get dislodged if I do certain things I'm told I shouldn't, like reaching up higher than my shoulder, or lifting heavy things with it, or doing repetitive actions with it, and it has to stay there until all my chemo treatments have been done. You never know what you might have to do when you go sailing, all of the above, probably, so best not to, even if I do feel like it. Anyway, this is the end of my first week after the second treatment, and it has been a lot better than the first time around, and I should have a couple of fairly good weeks now until the next (third) one. They'll give me a scan after the fourth one, on 25th February, to see how it's going. I'm confident of success. Anyway, enough of that.
    Thanks for the suggestion about bringing Kotik up to the Mahurangi Regatta. I'm sure she would be quite compatible with it. It would be a long haul, almost the length of the country, but worth a thought or two for next year. I see it's on Auckland Anniversary Weekend (end of January). Those big Logan classics are 'way out of my league, but must be a great sight to see, and great for you to sail on. I have watched some of the Off Center Harbor videos. Still, there's plenty of sailing I can look forward to down here in the south, too.
    Cheers,
    Ian

Celebration time, in a quiet way! The doctors decided that three chemo treatments would be enough, so the last one was on the 4th February. The District Nurse took the plumbing out of my arm, and I had my CT scan last Wednesday. I learned yesterday that there was no indication of any cancer! They still want to give me some radiation treatment to make sure of it, but that won't be until after Easter, so I am hoping to have enough energy by then to do the Easter Cruise with our local Trailer Yacht Squadron. I have been back in the workshop, sort of part-time, starting to make oars for the pram dinghy, but still get very tired, and often have a sleep in the afternoon, which I am told is the usual thing in this situation, so it's a matter of building up gradually. It has certainly been a different adventure this season. Thank you all for your kind remarks and good wishes.
    Cheers,
    Ian

Ian,

this is GREAT news--I'm very happy to hear it. My mom is (and my dad was) a cancer survivor, so I have some appreciation for what this might mean for you.

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

Very good! Keep at it, Ian. Thanks.

Thanks very much, Tom and Thad.
    There is the Worldwide Classic Boat Show to keep me entertained this week. Your boats look good. Kotik is in it too. I'm planning to build a Hvalsoe 13 next.
    Cheers,
    Ian

Great news Ian. You’re on your way to getting a telegram (email??) from the queen. Bring on the next build

Excellent news Ian. Nothing wrong with an afternoon nap either.
    Cheers,
    Mike.

Great to hear of your excellent news, Ian! Best wishes from us here in Blaxland .
    You can never have too many clamps

Thanks, Andrew and Mike.
    I'll be 77 in a couple of weeks so only 23 more years..... (That made me smile.)
    Yes, it's good to be able to take a nap if I need one.
    Cheers,
    Ian

Thanks, Alex. Good to hear from you!
    Ian

Wishing you good health and many more years doing what you love. This has been a great read throughout.

Thanks, Lexi. I have just read your Clinker Launch thread. It's very informative, and relevant to my next build. Glad you enjoyed mine, with all its vicissitudes!
    Cheers,
    Ian
    Last edited by IanMilne; 02-26-2021 at 03:13 PM. Reason: add a bit.

I´m happy and glad to hear the good news Ian!

Cheers Max

Ian, you're a force and an inspiration. Such good news re your health.

The Hv13 will be fun!

Jeff

Thank you, Max and Jeff. I'm happy too! Thanks to modern medical science! (And I found it early.)

Your HV 13 thread will be helpful, Jeff, and Rich Jones's too. I'll start a thread on mine when I have finished the Feather Pram.

Cheers
    Ian

Great news on the all-clear, Ian!

Everyone should have an HV boat of some kind. Looking forward to hearing about yours.
    Alex

“A man in an open shirt, sat gazing out to sea; A young man, a hale man, and I wished that I were he and that the things that I loved were as they used to be”
    - Geoffrey Holdsworth

http://www.alexzimmerman.ca

Thanks, Alex. I'm not bouncing off the walls yet, but working up to it!

Cheers,
    Ian

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

Such good news Ian - congratulations!
    It's all fun and games until Darth Vader comes.

Thanks, gypsie. (Sorry I forgot to reply.) I'm not up to 100% yet but at least I'm heading in the right direction.

I painted the yellow star on the top (truck) of the mainmast this week. (My cheap substitute for a cast bronze one!)

Cheers,
    Ian

Hi guys. I'm improving slowly but we didn't go sailing over Easter with the trailer-yacht squadron as we usually do. We can always be as busy as we want to be at home anyway.

Here's that yellow star on the truck of the main mast. It looks like I'd better rub out the pencil lines.
    P1020072.jpg

I also decided to repaint the deck, while the weather is still fairly warm. I had done it without primer, directly onto the fibreglass cloth to preserve the texture, as the Gougeon Bros indicate, but some of it was chipping and blistering, so perhaps I didn't scrub it well enough first. Here's a pic of the part of the deck and roof after I had scraped it as well as possible with a dry scraper. Today I did the foredeck with paint-stripper, and will do the rest tomorrow. In this picture you can also see the new main halliard, white with black fleck, wrapped around the mast just to keep it out of the way of the paint-stripper for now. It is long enough to take back to the cockpit via a couple of my spare tail-blocks lashed to the handrail. There will probably be too much friction to raise the sail and yard from the cockpit, but my good crew can tail the halliard as I haul the yard up, which will be quicker. We might be able to drop the sail from the cockpit though, which would be handy. All it needs now is a big cleat on the cabin bulkhead.
    P1020074.jpg

That's all for now.

Cheers,
    Ian
    Last edited by IanMilne; 04-05-2021 at 03:58 AM.

Be careful not to rub out the star! That paint really did bubble . Looking forward to more on the removal/repainting.

Cheers,
    Alex.
    You can never have too many clamps

The mast-head was painted properly!

Ian

Hi Ian, I’m glad you’re feeling well enough to do some boat work. Even if it’s repairs. Pity about that paint. At least it shouldn’t be too hard to remove the rest, haha. How’s the cockpit , has that come up too?

Good to know that you are out and about and back into it Ian.
    Cheers,
    Mike.

Hi Andrew. The cockpit paint is fine, thanks. I'm using "Poly" paint stripper on the deck. It doesn't affect the epoxy. I'll probably finish the first time around today. I'm scraping it with scrapers, then I will put some more stripper on where still needed and scrub it with a wire brush. Then I will use primer and sprinkle sand over it before I do the top coat, or two. Then it will be a "proper job". However, looking at the Gougeon book again (5th edition, pp. 157-8 and 351), I consider that my decision to paint the deck without primer was entirely justified.

Thanks, Mike. I'm a bit slower than I was, and need more rest, but gradually improving.

Cheers,
    Ian

Here are a couple of photos showing Kotik's deck and roof after the first and second times around with the paint stripper. Each time around took me two days at about 6 hours per day. That was last week, on four dry days. The next day I gave it a good wet scrub and a hosing down. Since then the weather has been rainy, but the ten day forecast has "partly cloudy with northerlies", Tuesday to Friday, so I hope to get the painting done then. We have put the mast up now, out of the way.
    I made the new halliard cleat for the cabin bulkhead yesterday and will Cetol it with the rest of the Feather Pram parts.

P1020085.jpg

P1020086.jpg

We are having hospital appointments this week and I will be having radiation treatment, five days a week, from 4th to 24th May, so I suppose that will slow me down again for a while. Ho hum....

Cheers,
    Ian
    Last edited by IanMilne; 04-13-2021 at 05:05 PM. Reason: mast up.

Here’s hoping you’re up to getting some paint on Ian. Good luck for your health adventures, I hope it doesn’t knock you around too much.

Hi Ian. Your decks look to have the same disease as the decks on Emily Ruth. The difference though, is I used primer over the epoxy set dynel cloth. I'm sure that I washed the unpainted deck with water to remove the blush, but maybe I didn't wash enough. My paint didn't flake off on its own but wherever it got knocked by a shackle or whatever, it did. And when I revarnished the adjoining brighwork the masking tape I used lifted the paint right off the deck. After a couple of seasons of denial and "fixing" I stripped off the paint for a redo. One season later and all seems well and good. So persevere, your future will be easier for the effort.

One more thing... you mentioned applying sand to the deck paint for traction. Don't use sand! I made this mistake and the sand filled paint is impossible to scrape off or sand for repainting. Brand new sanding pads on my machine were reduced to soft things within seconds. There are other products available to give you traction.

All my best.... Jeff

Thanks Andrew and Jeff.

My appointments on the last three days were with the Radiologist, the "planning CT" scan, and the Haemotologist (she's the one who is directing my case). They are excellent people. It's all quite interesting really. Certainly a different adventure. One of the side-effects of the radiation will be that I will get more tired again for a while, but I can allow for that. The doctors are confident that that should be the end of it, but I will stay on their list for at least two years, for periodic check-ups to see how I am going. I should be able to get the painting done next week. Today's extended weather forecast gives me five days clear - Sunday to Thursday inclusive.

Thanks for telling me about your deck, Jeff, and the tip about not using sand. OK, I won't! I have just found on the Altex website that they have a tin of non-slip grit made for their paint that I am using, so that's the way to go.

Many thanks for your good wishes.

Cheers,
    Ian