Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 61516

Thread: Kotik, Kotik, Kotik!

Default Re: Kotik, Kotik, Kotik!

Congratulations on the launch! I love the new paint scheme.
    -Jim

Sucker for a pretty face.
    1934 27' Blanchard Cuiser ~ Amazon, Ex. Emalu
    19'6" Caledonia Yawl ~ Sparrow

Getting into trouble one board at a time.

Congratulations! Ian. Cheers!!!

Wonderful! Great job.

Mike
    "near it, a small whale-boat, painted red and blue, the delight of the king's old age."

Thanks for your comments and encouragement, all of you.
    We're off to Lake Hood this morning, but I didn't manage to get the sliding hatch built so we won't be doing anything serious. After that I will be pleased to continue working at a more contemplative pace. There is still a lot to do.
    That's all for now.
    Cheers,
    Ian
    “Old Joke: ‘A bench fitter works to the nearest thousandth of an inch. A loco fitter (steam) works to the nearest inch. A shipwright works to the nearest ship’.”
    Alan Byde, Canoe Design and Construction, Pelham Books, 1978

“...old maxim, 'A fair line supersedes any given measurement'.”
    Allan H. Vaitses, Lofting, International Marine, 1980

Have fun!

Hi Ian

I hadn't logged on here for some time and got a real wake up call today! You've been incredibly busy and I can only express sincere admiration for what you've done and congratulations on a successful launch.

Re the name I was originally going to call mine Seamew, a name I still like, a Scots word for a seagull, but then on a visit to Eilean Mor MacCormick discovered the Celtic Cross planted there by Mariota the Queen of the Western Isles. Kotik is Russian, I think, for a kitten and was also the first name of one of the guys who shot Tsar Alexander II. For safety it's good to have an unusual name in case of distress calls etc.

Meanwhile I've been getting along here slowly in Argyll. The weather has been too cold to get any painting done and I'm hoping to get at least some of that under control before my Kotik emerges from my neighbour's garage. She's been incredibly understanding, especially since our original deal two years ago was that I would be her squatter for only about six months or so. I've been hoping that secretly she's quite happy to have contributed an essential component.

I've annexed some photos of my recent efforts, two of the cockpit now complete with seats and floor boards from recycled old growth pitch pine, plus the rudder and tiller, a joint effort between my friend Pat on the left, who provided the tiller as a gift to the boat, me on right. Sorry I don't know how to rotate us!

You'll see that where I had built a well for the outboard is now a wee locker for binoculars or maybe keeping a dram for cold days. One thing led to another here, when I realised that my two stroke outboard would be likely to suffocate this led to considering a four stroke, but they're big heavy brutes so that led to electric outboards and I've just collected one, but with a twelve inch prop, which was just too big for the well I'd made. Instead it will sit on the starboard quarter on a removable bracket. The entire unit weighs about 20kg, with half in the battery and thus easy for an elderly specimen to handle.

Steve Hall, the wonderful sail maker from Tollesbury is working on the sails with a delivery target of late April and I'm planning to launch around early to mid May, by which time we shouldn't have quite so much snow around.

Best wishes

Ewan
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ewan G Kennedy

I caught up with Ian and Kotik down at lake Hood this afternoon, after hitching a lift down the lake with Jamie (who I had never met before) in his JW Houdini. I had the tiller, but it wasn't so much a sail as a relaxed slow drift with just enough steerage, and a bit of a chat.
    Anyway, Kotik looks fabulous, with a very snug wee cabin with storage everywhere. I'll have to go back through this thread, as it will all make a bit more sense now.

Pete
    Don't underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers!

Just WOW and congratulations! I drift away from this thread for a bit and you're in water! She's beautiful, hope you get many years of enjoyment on her...before you start your next one. The snow is almost gone here in Maine and some say Spring should arrive someday so I might get back to my build.
    Steve B
    Sjogin IIIa
    PAYTON 13' Pea Pod

RIVUS 16' Melonseed

"If a man must be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." E. B. White

Thanks, guys.
    Glad you like the colour scheme, Jim. The blue is a bit lighter than we expected, but I'll give it another couple of coats yet, and see if that makes any difference. If if doesn't, it doesn't matter. (Thanks for posting those photos, Andrew, and thanks for the painting work.)
    Good to meet you, Pete. Thanks for coming along. Next time might be at Akaroa in November. We met Jamie and his Houdini too.
    Steve, yes, it was rather too much of a rush to get her to a stage where we could launch her in her home port so that we could then take her to Lake Hood the following weekend, with the Canterbury Classic Boats people. That's at Ashburton, 273 km (170 miles) north of here. The next time we expect to see those people is at Akaroa in November. They have other events during the season but we just go to those two.
    Fredrik, I'm looking forward to seeing some progress on your cutter this northern summer. I do have an advantage here in being able to work through most of our winter.
    Thad, yes, we did have some fun. Thanks for watching.
    Thanks for the comment, Mike.
    Ewan, thanks for the comment and progress report. That pitch pine looks good. We don't get that here. I see your cockpit is the non-self-draining option. I don't like two-stroke motors, so I have a 4-stroke but at 27kg I won't be lifting it out any more often than I have to. It runs well under its hatch with the ventilation holes. It seems like a nice idea to name your boat after a local historic person, but I like the name "Seamew" too and people there will know what that is. I was thinking of a Scottish name after a particular sailing ship, but without the Scottish accent it doesn't come across very well. "Kotik" is easier to say and understand. Kotik/Kotick has several derivations.
    Now I'm about to post some more photos.
    Cheers,
    Ian
    Last edited by IanMilne; 03-24-2019 at 06:18 PM.
    “Old Joke: ‘A bench fitter works to the nearest thousandth of an inch. A loco fitter (steam) works to the nearest inch. A shipwright works to the nearest ship’.”

Here are a few more launching photos, from 10th March, taken by several people.

Us with Kotik, sporting Alison's bunting.

The Blessing was given here, out of the wind.

Friend Arthur helping us start the motor for the first time.

The general scene, showing the public ramp, the Otago Yacht Club and the stadium. The tiller is just a temporary one.

After a quick spin on the harbour, we came back along to the yacht club pontoon.

At the pontoon. The big cutter had just returned from a race outside the Otago Harbour. We had hired part of the clubrooms for the occasion.

After that we took Kotik home again and put her back in the shed, where Andrew and I put some more paint on her over the next two days, before Andrew went home to Melbourne.

Cheers,
    Ian

And here are some Lake Hood photos.

On display. The other boat is Jamie's Houdini. (The deadlights ae just screwed in temporarily, with the peel-off plastic still on the "glass".)

Quite a good boat ramp.

Spidsgatter view (well, sort of).

Doubles.

Singles.

Caravan mode. It worked well, and will work better with a sliding hatch.

For more photos of the Lake Hood and Akaroa rallies, see http://www.cantyclassicboats.co.nz/photo-gallery.html

Now it's lunch time, and it's raining here. I'll do some more work this afternoon.

Cheers, Ian

Drat. I should have come down to Lake Hood.

Congratulations Ian. She looks great.

Mike

Those Ia(i)ns are good.

You need a boom for your tent Ian.

What lovely photos, Ian, drool drool. >sigh< Congratulations once again (but without the garish colours this time)!

By the way, I PMed Ewan with a rotated version of his photo for use in his most recent post above, but he hasn't replied. Is he about at the moment? Perhaps he thought that I was some weird stalker.

Cheers,
    Alex.
    You can never have too many clamps