Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 91819

Thread: Kotik, Kotik, Kotik!

Default Re: Kotik, Kotik, Kotik!

A friend has alerted me to Ewan Kennedy's blog on the launching of his Kotik, on Facebook. (I don't do Facebook.) Here's the link. Congratulations, Ewan!

https://scottishboating.blogspot.com/2019/06/mariota-is-afloat.html?fbclid=IwAR3Y5h10BG5xE-naB6_pTN_E2fnI0jQRd8FPM7FjZl92vzdowJPegszKqMs

Ian
    “Old Joke: ‘A bench fitter works to the nearest thousandth of an inch. A loco fitter (steam) works to the nearest inch. A shipwright works to the nearest ship’.”
    Alan Byde, Canoe Design and Construction, Pelham Books, 1978

“...old maxim, 'A fair line supersedes any given measurement'.”
    Allan H. Vaitses, Lofting, International Marine, 1980

The spars are looking terrific, Ian. I made my previous spars using a box for the mast and solid yard and boom - I was looking forward to trying the birdsmouth method for the Sooty until I read of your trials and tribulations. It hasn't put me off, but has given me pause for thought and a few warnings!

And congratulations to Ewan from me too. She looks lovely. My wife will be in that neck of the woods (well almost) soon visiting her aunt, half her luck!

Cheers,
    Alex.
    You can never have too many clamps

Thanks, Alex. I'm glad you're not put off birdsmouth. Just put the proper taper on the staves before you assemble them and you will be just fine. Just taper the width, not the thickness. Your Wood Duck is Quality Woodwork.
    Happy Travels to your wife. That's an interesting part of the world.
    Cheers,
    Ian
    “Old Joke: ‘A bench fitter works to the nearest thousandth of an inch. A loco fitter (steam) works to the nearest inch. A shipwright works to the nearest ship’.”

Hello Ian, thank you for your reassurance! I will follow your advice. Thank you also re the Oz Racer - my 'box with a stick' certainly pleased Mr Storer, although I do know where all the faults are (as every builder does!) . I wish I were going to be in Bonnie Scotland with her - especially with the cold snap that we're having here at the moment, brrr! I am going to have to find a sensible way of heating the sheds here and at Wentworth Falls!

I'm looking forward to your next instalment, as always .

Cheers,
    Alex.

I have not been idle, just having the usual interruptions. Here's another double dose.

This is how Kotik looks now, since I epoxy-coated the upperworks. I did the inside framing of the cabin house too, and all the removable parts. They are on the bench, out of view. Lots of sandpapering coming up. At least the inside of the roof was pre-coated before I put it on, so I don't have to sand that again.

I cut holes in the bottom with a hole saw for the transducers for a speed log and depth sounder. Better not go sailing today!
    (As I suspected, only one photo will go through Flickr in one session. The rest of these will be posted direct.)
    P7020008.jpg

Port side. This will be the speed log, with an impeller wheel. It is too tall to fit under the cabin sole so I have put it clear of the entrance to the forward cabin and will make a small box over it.
    P7020009.jpg

Starboard side. This will be the depth sounder.
    P7020010.jpg

I also made holes in the main bulkhead for the read-out instrument (an advanSea Multi S400), on the same side as the battery, and a compass on the other side, and made a mount for the Garmin 78sc GPS. They will both work off the main battery, but the wiring isn't done yet.
    P7020011.jpg

The GPS is high enough to sail with two washboards in.
    P7020014.jpg

I will have a couple of shock cords across the lower part of the bulkhead to hold the appropriate paper chart when on the coast.

Cheers,
    Ian

Good work Ian. How are the spare going? I imagine you’re varnishing or is it too cold?

Here's that pile of parts.

And this is the Jaws edition. The plans do not show wooden jaws, just commercial fittings, very nice ones at that. I started by drawing the jaws and making patterns on an old laminated poster.
    P7050016.jpg

Then I made a set out of half of my last old mahogany bed end,
    P7060019.jpg

but I split one on the router table, so I thought they might not be strong enough, so I made another set out of half of an old oak bed end. It was thicker too.
    P7090021.jpg

This shows drilling the wedges for the yard jaws.
    P7090023.jpg

And here they are, at last, dry fitted ready for gluing tomorrow. They have enough clearance for leathers when I get that far.
    The yard and main boom jaws have two 100mm screws and one 65mm screw in each side, and the mizzen boom has one 100mm and one 50mm screw on each side. I will make the reef combs and glue them on as well, round off the ends you can see here, then epoxy-coat these spars like the masts.
    P7090027.jpg

There are just a few small wooden parts to make now, then sanding, varnishing/Cetoling, and painting, wiring and rigging, to keep me entertained. We are aiming for the Southland Boat Show at Invercargill, August 9,10,11, so I have to keep moving.

I am using clear finish hardener 207 which has UV protection followed by Cetol Marine as I have mentioned. This is the same finish as the masts and spars for Ziska in the article by Pat Mahon in WB 268. For more on Ziska, see here https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/#in...HLmlvdKbHdtJWS
    and here https://www.proboat.com/2019/06/nwsw...Hn3A6Cf4FM0lVk

Thanks, Andrew. I think we crossed in the mail, so to speak. How's yours coming on?
    Ian

The spars are all made and epoxied so far. I considered not epoxy-coating them but did it anyway. They will be sanded smooth and finished with Cetol Marine, when the brightwork of the outside of the boat is ready to be done at the same time. The inside of the cabin top will be finished with Altex varnish in the next few days.
    Here are a few photos. You can see the progress by the dates on them. If you can't open the photos here, my Flickr a/c is at https://www.flickr.com/photos/131061767@N03/

Jaws glued on. Screws plugged.
    P7110003.jpg

I extended the reef combs to carry the sheet, the clew, two reefs, and the topping lifts which should also serve as lazy jacks.
    P7110002.jpg

Shaping the jaws. The fish tin is the same diameter as the mast.
    P7120007.jpg

Epoxied.
    P7140009.jpg

Some of the "bumps" could have been thumb cleats but I made them all the same. They will support kickers and various other things.
    P7140010.jpg

That's all for now. I expect to be spending the next couple of weeks sanding, varnishing, painting, making cleats and blocks, and installing instruments and deadlights.

Cheers,
    Ian

You are making good progress. It looks beautifull. Must be a real beauty when rigged…
    Cheers
    Sönke

Good stuff Ian, nearly there. Were you tempted to raise sails? At least your deadline isn’t so tight this time.

Thanks, Sonke. Good to hear from you. I'm looking forward to rigging her too.

Hi Andrew, I think it will be a couple of weeks yet before we can raise sails. We'll have to get her out of the shed to do that.

The Southland Boat Show is organised by the Southland Trailer Yacht Squadron, that we are members of. It's a static show in the stadium there. We could even be playing with the rigging during the show. We had EM Islesburgh in it in 2014. It snowed there that weekend.

Ian

Thanks for the kind messages about Mariota launching. I wrote a post about the story to date on my blog, here; https://scottishboating.blogspot.com...B_rB2Nevo1LD14

Since launching I've had to fix a couple of leaks around the centreboard case, my stupid fault, but fitting the case after the hull was right way up was a mistake, as I had less than a foot of space to work in. Also the mast has had to come down a couple of times to sort out some rigging issues, e.g. the Wickham Martin winding gear for the jib has a shackle pin that engaged with the forestay. After over a hundred years you would think they would have sorted that. I've been out a couple of times and pleased so far. She feels very stable and tracks endlessly when I leave the tiller. Glad I made the rudder a bit bigger than drawn, will see if it's enough.

Ian, your gaff jaws look fine and very like mine. Like you I didn't want a heavy piece of metal work up the mast.

best wishes

Ewan0434b576-5f65-41ce-a70a-3fdd8157497c.jpg
    Ewan G Kennedy

Hi Ewan,
    Sorry for the slow rely. Thanks for the photo and report. The layout of your Kotik is certainly a lot different from mine. She looks as if she's going well. It's interesting how people do different things with a design, as I have also seen with my Eun na Mara friends. (I saw somewhere on your blog that you have a Eun na Mara among your circle of friends too.)

I've done most of the sanding now, so I'll be varnishing in the next few days, but I've got another interruption today.

I got the book "Ice Bears and Kotick" by Peter Webb, from Amazon the other day. It's about the "sail and oar" circumnavigation of Spitsbergen in 1990, by a couple of young Englishmen in a 17ft Oselvar, named Kotick after the White Seal in Rudyard Kipling's story in The Jungle Book. I read somewhere ages ago, but I can't find it now, that Iain O named his design after that boat, but took the "c" out. Kipling probably just spelt it with a "c" because that would be the English spelling, as distinct from Norwegian or Russian.

Gotta go out now.
    Cheers,
    Ian

Time for a progress report.

I spent a week varnishing the interior of the house and Cetoling all the exterior brightwork, and another week painting. I used masking tape for the painting (the blue kind on an orange core - thanks, Alex) which worked pretty well, but some of the edges needed touching up a bit after taking the tape off. Here she is now, with a temporary version of a Norwegian tiller. The after deck will have a mizzen mast and a VHF radio aerial in the middle of it. I am a little disappointed with the way the Sikkens Cetol Marine, Natural Teak, has obscured the contrasting colours of the kauri and kwila bits of the trim, but I should have expected that! The roof and deck are "Arctic Grey", the same colour as the footwell. I have not changed the shade of the blue.

Another view:
    P8040002.jpg

Here's one of shaping the cleats. These are made out of ash, from a tree that was cut down two years ago. There are six mooring cleats (the one in the vice), two halliard cleats (the one on the corner of the bench), and two smaller ones that I had already. I need to make some more yet.
    P8040001.jpg

And the hatches:
    P8040005.jpg

Masts and spars:
    P8040003.jpg

I expect to be putting it all together tomorrow. I'll give you a photo with the masts up, in a day or two. We're taking her to Invercargill on Thursday, so she won't be completely rigged for the boatshow. It's an indoor boatshow, by the way, in the stadium. No water involved, except the rain.

Cheers,
    Ian

Wow, what a beauty!
    congratulations!

Thanks, Sonke. Glad you like her.
    Ian

Things are really coming together Ian, looks great. Have a good weekend at Invergargill.

P.S.Is that a light at top of mast? How did you let wire out/in?
    Last edited by Andrew Donald; 08-04-2019 at 04:40 PM.

Looks great.
    -Dave

Looking terrific, Ian!

I'm glad that the tape was reasonably successful. Was the area that you needed to fix along the tape edge, or across the tape?

All the very best for the Invercargill boat show!

Cheers,
    Alex.

I was going to do this last night but the computer decided to do a big update, just to confuse me.

Anyway, thanks Dave. Welcome aboard, as they say, and thanks for checking in.

Andrew, I have not put a light at the mast head. See posting #624. The mast-heads are painted white above the bands now. I will have a stern light and a steaming light with their own batteries, that can be clipped on when needed. You can get such things now. I had a mast-head light on EM Islesburgh. You can see it in someof the pics on https://www.geoss.com.au/eun_mara/ian_dunedin15.htm, courtesy of Richard Almond. The mast was hollow box-section with solid (fish-tailed) blocks in it built in halves with channels for the wire. The bottom end of the wire has a piece of white plastic tubing over it where it comes out through a hole in the back of the mast below the boom, and plugs into a deck fitting. On our first trip or two we shifted the mast forward for trailering, which required unplugging the wire, but later I left the mast in the tabernacle, so I didn't have to unplug it. Scroll down and you will find a photo of the mast-head with the light on top of another one of those old wooden light-switch backers. Feel free to look at all my EM photos on Richard's website.

Alex, The problem with the masking tape was just my inexpert use of it. I have generally done my painting of wooden window frames etc. by cutting in, not with tape. I was not careful enough to get the edge of the tape in exactly the right place. Mostly it was OK but along the inside of the toe-rails I ended up with a small gap between the paint and the rail, so I touched it up later with a small brush, which took more time. How many coats of paint do you put on with the same tape?

We had our warmest July on record but yesterday was our coldest day so far, at max. 6*C. Today will be better, and the forecast for the weekend is OK. Thanks for the good wishes.

I'll go and do some more work now.

Ian
    Last edited by IanMilne; 08-06-2019 at 02:15 AM. Reason: added URL

Hello Ian,

Interesting details about EM Islesburgh's mast's internals.

I'm trying to remember how many coats I put over the tape. Probably only one if I was using it to mask off an epoxy glueing area - but paint? Scratches head... I'm not sure. I suspect multiple coats of Inter Brightside (Yellow). And I would have pulled the tape off slowly and flat against the surface to avoid ripping the paint (having been caught out once!).

I'll have a think - and a trawl through my Duck snaps - and let you know.

We have had an unusually warm dry winter here, too. Fire season will be upon us early. No rain in sight, either .

Cheers,
    Alex.
    Last edited by Alex1N; 08-05-2019 at 09:54 PM. Reason: Added stuff about the weather

I just put the URL into my last message.

Hi Alex, Yes, I pull the tape off straight away if I have used it to mask around a glued joint. Some of the tapes say they can be left on for so many days, which seems to imply that they can be left on for several coats. Some say cut through the paint around the edge with a knife before removing the tape, but that could damage the work. I think using tape is good in some places but not necessary if you are painting into internal corners.

My main task today was gluing and bolting six ash mooring cleats around the deck. I also cleaned up the deadlights and am about to go back out there and install them and the transducers. Alison washed the dust out of the boat yesterday and has been loading it with our boating gear today. We will have to get Kotik out tomorrow afternoon.

Cheers,
    Ian

I usually try cutting in with a brush before I try masking tape unless there’s such a difference in the surface that I’m avoiding, such as a seriously textured surface where it would be very difficult to clean a contrasting colour off. If I use tape it comes off straight away because I believe if the paint skins over then you have to rip the paint to get the tape off and that leads who knows where. Tape must be clean and new, also burnish edge along line.
    loads of good info on Richard Almonds site Ian especially if you’re building a EM. Had a look for an hour or so today.
    I saw your mast with the cable channel.

Thanks for that, Andrew. Yes, the painting you did for me in March all had good edges.
    Yes, the info about the several Eun Maras on Richard's site is good. There is more on www.alistego.com .
    Ian

I didn't have time to install the transducers last week, so I just taped up the holes for the weekend. We didn't get Kotik out of the workshop until Thursday morning either. So much for intentions.

We enjoyed our trip to Invercargill for the Southland Boat Show. It is organised by the Southland Trailer Yacht Squadron, which we have been members of for the last ten years or so. We had Islesburgh in it in 2014. We drove down on Thursday. Friday was the day for putting all the boats into the stadium and getting set up. We were the only wooden boat in the show. The show was open from 10am to 6pm on Saturday and 10am to 4pm on Sunday, so we had the rest of Friday and most of the weekend to play with the boat in a warm, dry place, with plenty of room on Friday to spread the sails out on the floor and lace them to the spars. We stood the mast up for the first time, and found that it was a bit more difficult to do than Islesburgh's, because there is more length of it aft of the cabin hatch. We got it up, but haven't quite arrived at a reliable system yet. The mizzen boom will probably be part of the process, used as a temporary strut.

We stopped briefly at the town of Gore on the way south. (That's a giant fibreglass trout above the blue sign.)

And here's the photo you've all been waiting for!
    I didn't put the battens in. The main halliard definitely needs a purchase on it. The halliards are tied anywhere handy. The cleats for them aren't on yet. Our well-worn stepladder is on the other side.

And another view:

Our display board, written on a discarded cardboard carton. We drafted it on Friday night and wrote it fairly quickly on Saturday morning. No prizes for neatness.

Some more display material:

Back home, at the "private jetty" (haha), for rigging, now that we know more or less what's needed.

We carried the spars inside the boat going south, but we had to leave the bottom washboard out, with the ends of the main boom and yard on the bridgedeck. To come back we lashed them on the side decks as you see here. We will find a way of carrying them on the trailer, under the boat.

(Alex, to do this posting I closed Flickr after each photo and opened it again for the next one, which was slow, but it worked. I will write to Flickr again. )

Cheers,
    Ian

Congratulations Ian And Allison, Kotik looks fantastic with the rig and those portllights. I’m glad you had a good weekend. And now to finish her with a list that must be pretty short by now. Yes i bet hauling that yard up must be a struggle with single purchase, Allison will have to have an extra serve of porridge haha

Thanks, Andrew. Yes, Alison does a fine job. We want to go for a sail as soon as Kotik is rigged. Then there is still the electrical work to complete and beaching legs to make. That's about all, I think....
    Ian