X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • IanMilne
    • Mar 2015

Kotik, Kotik, Kotik!

Hello Everybody,

It was great to see some of you at the Port Townsend Wooden Boat Festival last September. We hope to come again, but not this year.

Having sold my Eun na Mara Islesburgh (the red one) in 2014, and built a Sooty Tern, I was feeling an urge to build a “Kotik”, inspired by the photo Stromborg put on the “Oughtred Kotik” thread of 2011. Andrewpatrol has it on his “Oughtred - Grey Seal” thread* too. Bert put some more on “Gartside double-ended cutter #106”, page 5, later. There is some interest in Kotik on this forum but not much real information, so I will try to keep you informed of my progress. The building method is standard Oughtred. My favourite threads are “Oughtred - Grey Seal”, “Building a Wee Seal (very slowly)” and “The Cape Henry 21 building thread”. Thanks, all of you. I must like building boats, or something.

Kotik is a Wee Seal Mk II, stretched from 18’6” to 21’ 7” long, and 7’3”wide. The word “kotik” is Russian for seal pup, or “wee seal”, as it was a Russian, Mikhael Markov, who instigated it. It is basically a lighter version of the Grey Seal. A brief description is on the Classic Marine (UK) website. I bought the plans last year, which are for the Wee Seal Mk II with three extra sheets for the lines plan, construction plan and sloop sail plan of the Kotik. Later I received the Kotik yawl sail plan, the alternative 3-berth interior, and off-sets for the planking laps on the moulds and stems. The yawl has a jib-headed mizzen sheeted to the rudder, and a Norwegian tiller. You have to loft the hull, as it has a new lines drawing which does not fit the Wee Seal moulds, and the stems have more rake.

There is a standard 2-berth (double or twin) interior, with space for either a navigation station or an enclosed “head”, opposite the galley, just inside the companionway. I am planning to build the 3-berth version, which has quarter berths and a separate forward cabin with a third berth and space for a toilet (e.g., Porta Potti). The forward cabin can also be used as a double, in which case the toilet could be put in the main cabin just below the companion hatch, which is where we had it in our Eun na Mara, with a plywood lid as a step in from the cockpit, and a bottle of hand sanitiser. (Taking a trowel for a walk was the usual way to go.)

You can see my Eun na Mara Islesburgh (the red one) and Sooty Tern Trondra, on www.alistego.com, www.geoss.co.au/Eun_Mara and the thread here “Southern Sooty Tern”. There have been some unforeseen delays in starting the Kotik, but I’m onto it now.

On 29th April 2016 I got my Sooty Tern building frame down from the rafters and converted it to a lofting table with three sheets of 16mm construction plywood, as specified for the moulds. I covered them with three sheets of 3mm MDF which I have used as the lofting surface. I did not paint them first, as I thought my lines would show up well enough, but the rubbed out lines still show up pretty well too. You do have to change a lot of them as you go along.
    The four-foot width of the boards was sufficient to loft the hull without the keel, forepeak and rudder-head, so I added bits on later to include those. I drew the body plan on a fourth sheet, (scrive board, pronounced “screeve board”, as all the books say) lined up with the middle one of the three, so the nails I used to mark the off-sets marked both sheets at the same time. Later I filled in the body plan on the lower sheet as well.

After I had lofted and faired the lines, I drew the bulkheads, bunk tops, centre case, cockpit sole and seats, and floors onto the lofting to see how they all fitted. You can put as many parts as you like into the lofting. You just have to decide when to stop. As others have said, it really does help you to think about what you have to do, before you build it.

Yesterday I removed the 3mm drawing boards from the table-top, cut the scrive board in half, cut out the three biggest mould halves from it and drew around them onto the 16mm plywood, to make the complete moulds. I had to be careful to get the two halves centred and lined up correctly, to match the off-sets. I will be able to get some of the smaller moulds out of the middles of them.

Watch this space for photos. I have to brush up my technique for posting them.

Cheers,
    Ian

*Edit 30/10/19: The "Oughtred - Grey Seal" thread is now "Re: "Margaret" Grey Seal by Iain Oughtred" by Andrew Donald.
    Last edited by IanMilne; 10-30-2019, 03:30 AM.
    Old Joke: ‘A bench fitter works to the nearest thousandth of an inch. A loco fitter (steam) works to the nearest inch. A shipwright works to the nearest ship’.”
    Alan Byde, Canoe Design and Construction, Pelham Books, 1978

“...old maxim, 'A fair line supersedes any given measurement'.”
    Allan H. Vaitses, Lofting, International Marine, 1980
  • andrewpatrol
    • Sep 2010

Re: Kotik, Kotik, Kotik!

good onya Ian, looking fwd to this. Any engine at all? It sounds like there arent any frames? Ian actually said to me once that he thought GS could be built without them too. Dunno about that cos theres not a lot of internal structure. I reckon the hull has moved already just sitting there. actually i reckon if again id put temporary braces across hull.

Good luck

A

Comment

• skaraborgcraft
      Banned
      • Jan 2010

Will definately be watching this. I bought Kotik plans some years ago after a good long time considering a trailer sailer, and then drew up plans for a lighter boat based on a Danish beach pram; of which some parts have been fabricated and awaiting setting up molds.
      Nice spot in the world, have family in Omaru. Cheers , Ian.

Comment

• IanMilne
        • Mar 2015

Thanks, Andrew and Ian.
        I am enjoying your thread, Andrew. Good work! Kotik has bulkheads at most stations, and I will probably put in a laminated frame or two. It has an o/b motor in a well, the same as Eun Mara. Islesburgh had (has) a 6hp 4-stroke Tohatsu. Kotik will have the same, or Yamaha, whatever, but it will have to be a long-shaft this time. A 6hp o/b weighs 25 or 27 kg., which is plenty heavy enough for me.
        I got your question about the Kotik compared to Grey Seal. I have the WB mags 128, 129, & 130, about building GS Saturday Morning. Kotik is really a lighter version of GS. You can see the 3-berth Kotik layout on http://nisboats.com/oughtred/pics/la...wgs/Kotik1.jpg . Kotik has lead ballast of 790 lb (360 kg). (Wee Seal has 310 kg.) They also both have 60 lb (27 kg) of lead in the (wooden) centreboard. The c/b is offset so there is no slot in the lead ballast. Displacement at DWL is 1180 kg. The garboard is 12mm, the rest of the planking is 9mm. Otherwise I think they're pretty similar. My wife has a brother living in Melbourne.
        Ian, good to hear from you. I thought I might. Let's know if you are ever coming to visit your family. We sailed our EM from Dunedin to Oamaru and back a couple of times. It was 50 nautical miles each way.
        Cheers, Ian
        Old Joke: ‘A bench fitter works to the nearest thousandth of an inch. A loco fitter (steam) works to the nearest inch. A shipwright works to the nearest ship’.”

Comment

• IanMilne
          • Mar 2015

And now for some photos......

The building frame.
          1. Building Frame.jpg

The lofting table.
          2. Lofting Table.jpg

The lofting board.
          3. Lofting Board.jpg

The first line appears
          4. The First Line Appears.jpg

The profile
          5. The Profile Appears.jpg

Cheers,
          Ian
          Last edited by IanMilne; 05-08-2021, 12:49 PM. Reason: Reinstate photos.

Comment

• IanMilne
            • Mar 2015

And some more...

Tools of the Trade
            6. Tools of the Trade.jpg

Lots of lines.

7. Lots of Lines.jpg

Sorry, run out of time right now.... More to come.

Ian
            Last edited by IanMilne; 05-08-2021, 12:52 PM. Reason: Reinstate photos.

Comment

• stromborg
              • Sep 2010

Looking forward to following your progress. That is a very nice looking shop you have there, I like the natural lighting.
              Steve

If you would have a good boat, be a good guy when you build her - honest, careful, patient, strong.
              H.A. Calahan

Comment

• andrewpatrol
                • Sep 2010

bravo Ian, also another vote for your workshop. When does a shop become a shed? Has it got to do with hemesphere or building type.

Comment

• James McMullen
                  老板
                  • Apr 2007

Looks lovely, Ian. Perhaps I can drop by some time, once you've splashed her.

Comment

• James McMullen
                    老板
                    • Apr 2007

Seeing as you're already up to the lofting, that means just a couple months more, right?

Comment

• IanMilne
                      • Mar 2015

Thanks, Steve, Andrew and James. Yes, it's a good shed/workshop/shop, whichever dialect you speak. That's why we live here.
                      James, We hope you're enjoying Singapore. You're welcome to call in any time you're passing by. (You're only 5000 miles away now.) I'm aiming for two years. All I have to do now is build it.
                      Cheers, Ian
                      Last edited by IanMilne; 06-12-2016, 11:16 PM.

Comment

• IanMilne
                        • Mar 2015

And now for some more photos....

Rudder fittings. They were going to be the Shetland captive bolt system, but I didn't do them that way in the end.
                        8. Rudder Fittings.jpg

Pattern making. Those brown things are blocks of lead wrapped in parcel tape.
                        9. Pattern making.jpg

Wallpaper patterns.
                        10. Wallpaper Pattern.jpg

Body plan.
                        11. Body Plan.jpg

Completed lofting.
                        12. The Completed Lofting.jpg

Well, that's the lofting, as far as I need to go at present. I'll do some more work tomorrow.
                        Cheers,
                        Ian
                        Last edited by IanMilne; 05-08-2021, 01:07 PM.

Comment

• IanMilne
                          • Mar 2015

Time has been a bit catch-as-catch-can, but will start to improve now.
                          I got all the moulds except one out of the three sheets of 16mm plywood that were the drawing table. Number 7 is 12mm MDF left over from the Sooty Tern. (MDF stays straighter than plywood.)

The lofting table again.
                          13. The Lofting Table again.jpg

Scrive board for moulds 1 - 4.

Patterns for moulds 5 -9, cut from scrive board.

Drawing Moulds 1 & 2.
                          17. Drawing 1 & 2.jpg

Drawing mould 5.
                          14. Drawing Mould 5.jpg

Trimming halves of mould 3 to a matching pair.
                          18. Trimming Mould 3 in matching halves..jpg

I'll continue in the morning.
                          Cheers,
                          Ian
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by IanMilne; 05-08-2021, 01:17 PM. Reason: Reinstate photos.

Comment

• Dale H
                            • Aug 2001

Ian, congratulations on making a very good start. She looks like another great design from Iain. I'll be eagerly following along with everyone else here. As I was checking the forum I noticed the Grey Seal thread right next to this one. It'll be interesting to see these two boats coming together side by side.

Dale

Comment

• IanMilne
                              • Mar 2015

Thanks, Dale. I'm looking forward to it too. I'm hoping to be able to build it fairly efficiently now.

And now for some more photos.

Cutting out another mould.

19. Cutting out another Mould.jpg

Moulds 3 and 4.

20. Moulds 3 & 4.jpg

Moulds 6, 8, 9 and 7.

21. Moulds 6, 8, 9 & 7.jpg

Moulds 5, 2 & 1.

22. Moulds 5, 2 &1..jpg

That's all the photos for now. Now to set them up .....
                              Ian
                              Last edited by IanMilne; 05-08-2021, 01:22 PM. Reason: Reinstate photos.

Comment

Working...