Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41314

Thread: Kotik, Kotik, Kotik!

Default Re: Kotik, Kotik, Kotik!

More good progress. But I can't help noticing that your shop floor is spotless. C'mon! I will never be able to post a picture of my build after seeing that. The fact that mine is dirt is my excuse.
    Steve B
    Sjogin IIIa
    PAYTON 13' Pea Pod

RIVUS 16' Melonseed

"If a man must be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." E. B. White

Wow! She's looking great! I love those cabin sides and front. The bronze port lights will be lovely. Do you have a picture of the patterns? Did Iain draw patterns or are they your design? Perhaps they are shown in your Eun na Mara thread?

Sorry for so many questions! Very exciting stage of the build.

Mike
    "near it, a small whale-boat, painted red and blue, the delight of the king's old age."

Thanks, Steve. My wife has the use of two of the smaller rooms in the building (one of them for sewing), so we don't want dust and shavings all through the place. The floor is smooth concrete with good air-space under it, so it stays dry and takes little effort to keep reasonably tidy.
    Here, I am posting a picture of your build for you. It looks much more authentic! I like that big slick too.

Thanks, Mike. Yes, the bronze rings will be good. They will be cast at Giltech Precision Castings, Dunedin, the same people who cast the ballast. They are very friendly and helpful. Aluminium bronze is stronger than silicon bronze, but a more yellow colour. I will clean them up with a flap disc on my angle grinder and let them go green. The same with the chainplates. Here are a couple of pics of my Eun na Mara hardware, with the deadlight patterns on the right, in November 2006. Those rings were cast by a different foundry. I glued the patterns up at home and cleaned them up on a big lathe at a local high-school evening metalwork class, where I also made the stainless steel bits, with some help, I may say. The other ring is from the Classic Marine (UK) website, just for comparison. I made the "spigots" of mine the same depth as the thickness of the plywood, with plywood rings glued and screwed to the inside.

Iain's plan had a fullsize cross-section of the deadlight assembly, so I probably took the various diameters off that.
    My Eun na Mara thread/blog/whatever is here: http://www.geoss.com.au/eun_mara/ . You'll get the front page. Scroll down to the links. Thanks to Richard Almond of Canberra, Australia.

My next move will be the rub-rails, upper and lower, while I can still use my long clamps across the side decks. On my EM and ST I put the lower ones on before the decks were on, using my plywood planking clamps, suitably modified.

Cheers, and Merry Christmas!
    Ian
    Last edited by IanMilne; 12-21-2018 at 03:50 PM.
    “Old Joke: ‘A bench fitter works to the nearest thousandth of an inch. A loco fitter (steam) works to the nearest inch. A shipwright works to the nearest ship’.”
    Alan Byde, Canoe Design and Construction, Pelham Books, 1978

“...old maxim, 'A fair line supersedes any given measurement'.”
    Allan H. Vaitses, Lofting, International Marine, 1980

Ian your pace and build quality is astonishing! Looks like your boats bottom will hit the water next year...
    i wish you health and joy for the coming year.
    merry christmas
    cheers
    Sönke

Two lovely updates, Ian, thank you. Worth the wait, as it alway is.

Cheers,
    Alex.
    Last edited by Alex1N; 12-14-2018 at 06:55 PM.
    You can never have too many clamps

Thanks, Sonke and Alex. I am fortunate to be retired and still in good health. I am hoping to be able to launch the boat by the end of February. Thanks for the good wishes. To you likewise.

Ian
    Last edited by IanMilne; 12-14-2018 at 02:43 PM.
    “Old Joke: ‘A bench fitter works to the nearest thousandth of an inch. A loco fitter (steam) works to the nearest inch. A shipwright works to the nearest ship’.”

Haha. Very good. Here's another,

and another.

I'm a man of many vices, but I'm trying to come to grips with them.

Oh dear...

Thanks for the comment.

Cheers, Ian

Edit: (The message that brought on this flurry of punning, based on the 4th photo in #455, seems to have been deleted, but it was perfectly alright, really. As somebody once said, "A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men." Ian
    Last edited by IanMilne; 12-21-2018 at 02:54 PM.

You can never have too many vices!
    Last edited by Alex1N; 12-15-2018 at 06:02 PM.

Right.

I'd better do another posting before I get too far ahead of myself.

I got the rub-rails on OK, over a couple of days, with a borrowed steamer and a helping hand at times, and the "Building a Wee Seal (very slowly)" thread. They are made from some more of those kwila (merbau) decking planks 19 x 90mm, two at 3.9m (13') and two at 3.6m (12'). I could have used all 3.6m planks but the two longer ones enabled me to stagger the scarfs in the middle.

Here I am tapering the ends of the upper rails from 40 to 30mm. I have already fitted the ends to the stems, cut the scarf in the aft rails in my scarfing jig, and predrilled the counter-bores and screw holes (in that order) at 10" (250mm) centres. (Not sure why the tape measure's there.)

I did the aft rails first, so that I could fit the scarfs in the forward rails to the scarfs already cut in the aft ones when they were in place. Here's one in the steamer. The steamer is about 10ft (3m) of galvanised pipe with a right-angled bend into a tank at the bottom, 2 ft long by 6" diameter (600 x 150 mm) , with an electric jug element in each end of it. You can use both elements to get it steaming, then switch one off while the wood steams. It works very well. This photo must have been taken when I had just put the rail in. It looked more dramatic later on.

The forward rails bent around without steaming. I put in the first two screws nearest the stem, and then drilled the rest of the screw holes into the gunwale. Clamp it any way you can!

I suspended each rail from the overhead while I was getting the first few screws in. Here the rail also happens to be resting on the bench.
    The upper rails are 40mm wide, tapered to 30mm at the ends, and the lower rails are 30mm all the way.

Here are the views from the port quarter,

and the starboard bow. I will put separate toe-rails on later, covering the joint between the rub-rail and the deck.

I will leave the rails dry-fitted for now, until I get my new chainplates in January. The ones I had cast before were designed for rigging screws but I have decided to use lanyards instead. When I have installed the chainplates, I will be able to notch the rails over them. In the meantime I am working on the tabernacle and the forward hatch frame, and will glue them on with the cabin front and sides in the same session.

All the best for Christmas and the New Year.

Ian

You have a very good eye, sir. carry on!

Mike
    "near it, a small whale-boat, painted red and blue, the delight of the king's old age."

Thank you, Mr Owen.

A quick update.
    I didn't glue all those bits on in one session after all. I installed the fore-hatch frame while the deck was still clear, the cabin front and sides in another session, and the rub-rails around the after part of the boat in another, over the last few days. I should have glued the rails before the cabin sides, so I could have clamped the midship ends of the rails better. Never mind. I have made the parts for the tabernacle (out of oak) but am leaving it off until after I have put the cabin roof on, so that I can swing those big pieces of plywood around more easily. My thicknesser died the other day, in smoke and blue flames, so I can't start cutting roof laminations or all the trimming pieces until I can get a new one. I have also replaced the stainless-steel centreboard pivot bolt with an aluminium-bronze one, made the same way as the keel bolts, to be more compatible with the copper-based antifouling.
    Happy New Year!
    Ian

Sounding good - except for the spectacular exit of the thicknesser : (. Bother. I recently acquired a Carbatec benchtop thicknesser, as you know - it seems to be a solid (read, heavy) piece of kit, although I haven’t run it yet. I don’t have shares in Carbatec, by the way.

My wife-to-be and I spent New Year’s Eve at Lake Te Anau in 1980/81 (then back to Queenstown for New Year’s Night). A lovely, very calm, clear evening with barely a ruffle on the lake. Which latter I managed to disturb by skipping the nice round flat stones on the water’s edge.

Happy New Year to you, too.

Thanks, Alex. My thicknesser was a fairly cheap one when I bought it in 2004, so I suppose it has done quite well. I took it apart to determine the cause of death and found that the armature shaft of the motor had a cheap and nasty aluminium fan on it, from which the blades had been breaking. They were the bits of metal being spat out. Then one of them had twisted and jammed the whole thing. There were only four blades left, out of ten or twelve. The rest of the machine seemed pretty strong and solid, so it's a bit of a pity to have to throw it out. Oh well, it'll go in the scrap metal bin anyway.
    I can imagine the scene at Lake Te Anau. I, and we, have spent quite a lot of time on Lakes Te Anau amd Manapouri over the years, by kayak, sailing dory and trailer-sailer, on the edge of Fiordland. Always good, always different.
    Cheers,
    Ian

Hello Ian,

Ouch! >shudder!<. What a horrible end. Still, 14 years was a pretty good innings - I had an expensive Metabo angle grinder last less than half of that.

I loved the Te Anau/Fiordland area* - we even went on one of the cruises on Milford sound out to Mitre Peak, though I would rather have done it by sailing boat! And visited the glow-worm caves and the turf-roofed hut. Lovely, lovely trip. The night of the 2nd was spent at a place in Westland, with a helicopter coming in at night in the pouring rain with a dead stag dangling from its skids. Very dramatic.

I would have loved to have done some sailing while I was in NZ that trip.

Cheers,
    Alex.

* Pretty well all of the South Island that we saw (plus Wellington), in fact!

Yes, I know those places quite well, Alex. Glad you enjoyed them.

We had to go away for the first week of January, for a family occasion. It was good, but not conducive to boatbuilding. Since then I've been making a bit of progress. I usually prefer to work on one thing at a time, but this week I've had three things on the go - the galley, the cockpit coamings and the rudder.

Here's a photo of the galley, with the doors open. I am gluing some strange tapered pieces around the door openings to support the doors when they are shut. They will close flush with that narrow piece in the middle. I could have made the whole thing in one line, parallel with the centreline, but that would have been too easy! The arrangement of the shelves is still evolving.

Here's a random shot of the coamings, on stand-by until I get back to them. You can see where they need a bit of trimming, before they will sit down properly.

And here comes the rudder. I made a wallpaper pattern of it from the lofting, ages ago, and drew around it onto the plywood months ago. I am making it from two layers of 18mm 13-ply. I tried to follow Ewan Kennedy's suggestion of increasing the area of the blade, but could only gain a liitle bit as the two layers were drawn quite close together. (Well, I could have drawn it all again, I suppose.... )

This is a trial fitting with the wooden patterns of the rudder fittings in place, usng one layer of the rudder. In the cardboard box is a 3.87 litre (1 US gallon) tin of Sikkens Cetol Marine, Natural Teak, for the exterior brightwork, including masts and spars. (I might need more than that.)

The big rudder glue-up.

Cleaning up the edges, with a variety of implements.

Today I fitted the cast aluminium-bronze rudder fittings to the hull and the rudder. I will have to get some more gear to drill the holes in them.

Tomorrow is another day...

Ian

Looking great, Ian! Is that four or five thicknesses of 9 mm ply for the rudder? Lovely shape to it.

Cheers,
    Alex.

Thanks, Alex. The rudder is two layers of 18mm plywood, plus the cheeks made of the same stuff. Iain says 22 or 25 mm hardwood for the cheeks, but I reckon the 18mm plywood will do just as well. I might put some narrower strips of kwila or something down the outsides, just for show.
    Cheers,
    Ian

We have a rudder! It took most of yesterday to drill all the holes in the fittings and today to hang it, but it is indisputably a rudder!

I did a couple of other odd jobs along the way. This shows where I poured some slightly thickened epoxy down into the lower corner of the motor well, so that water won't sit in there. It looks OK.

Here I am checking to see that the plug for the cockpit drain won't hit the motor. It looks OK too. I'll make the plug tomorrow.

Now for the exciting part - drilling the rudder fittings. These are the ones I had cast for me in 2017, out of aluminium-bronze.

I had to use various clamping arrangements.

Here they are, ready to install.

And here they are, installed. They are bonded with epoxy containing glue powder and high-density filler, as well as the machine-screws.

The plans have a Norwegian tiller, but the tiller will have a lot of rise and fall with this amount of rake in the stern post.

Ian
    Last edited by IanMilne; 01-17-2019 at 01:37 PM.

Very nice Ian. Those castings look great! Proper job, carry on.

Thanks, Ian. I'm pleased with it too.
    Ian