Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: The new project a wooden yachts, Lion 800

Default The new project a wooden yachts, Lion 800

New Lion 800 Lion logois a continuation of the series of composite yacht developed by Unik Yachts.
    The main idea of the series yachts Lion is maximum manufacturability of designs and the ability to self built yachts supplied pre cut CNC machined parts.
    Yacht meets all current safety requirements and provides a high level of comfort on board, with a very modest budget.
    The yacht features a double insulated double aft cabin, foreship cabin, great salon, galley with gas stove, sink and toilet.
    The yacht is designed in two variants with lifting keel and draught 0.3/1.1 m and with permanent ballast keel with a draught of 1.7 m.

http://unikyachts.com/en/lion-series-2/lion-800/

Default Re: The new project a wooden yachts, Lion 800

Last edited by Unik; 06-09-2016 at 12:51 AM.

What kind of plywood are you cutting these kits from?

The kit includes 30 sheets of plywood with a thickness of 10 mm, 30 sheets of plywood with a thickness of 8 mm, and 4 sheets of plywood 6 mm. thick Sheets of plywood coniferous 1220х2440 water resistant. We are ready to provide the documentation and nesting for cutting of sheets to the interested manufacturers.

location details on the sheets in the kit Lion 800
    Last edited by Unik; 06-13-2016 at 02:28 AM.

May I ask why the freeboard is so high? Obviously it will increase interior volume for a boat of a certain overall length, but why not go for a longer, lower boat that would have the same volume but sail faster?

When designing Lion 800 we tried to get the maximum level of comfort on board, so the boat has a high freeboard, another goal was to reduce the cost of the boat.

We are working on a sequel to the series Lion, the next boat will be released in a larger size.

http://unikyachts.com/en/lion-series-2/

Sure, you tried to get maximum comfort - but wouldn't a longer boat with lower freeboard have more comfort in a seaway and the same amount of space?

And is an 8m boat with very high freeboard actually cheaper than a 9m boat with lower freeboard, the same rig size, and the same amount of interior space?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris249 View Post
    Sure, you tried to get maximum comfort - but wouldn't a longer boat with lower freeboard have more comfort in a seaway and the same amount of space?

And is an 8m boat with very high freeboard actually cheaper than a 9m boat with lower freeboard, the same rig size, and the same amount of interior space?
    It may be the case (or may not be) that it was designed to fit in an 8m berth. There is some standard size and beam charges in a lot of marinas, where going over a certain size can vastly increase the cost of even an overnight visit, let alone a long term berth. Sure longer boats are faster and more comfortable (generally), but cost of ownership can be different for everyone depending on use and location. Nothing unusual about the design this side of the puddle.

Puzzle joints eh?

Comfort in a boat in rough seas to a greater extent depends on the position of the center of gravity than the height of the bead.

Boat larger will be larger sails, masts, and a greater number of deck equipment, big on parking costs.
    We are working on a modification of the Lion 800 a ballast keel with a constant which is a bit longer

Details are joined in puzzle, it provides a strong and simple connection

As for speed, it depends on the length of the waterline, in this case Lion800 has a length of 8 meters at the waterline which corresponds to the length at the waterline of most 9-meter boat.

I certainly like the concept of a larger kit boat. I hope you have lots of success. I which someone would do this with a more traditional design. Good luck with your business!!!

Quote Originally Posted by peb View Post
    I certainly like the concept of a larger kit boat. I hope you have lots of success. I which someone would do this with a more traditional design. Good luck with your business!!!
    Traditional like what, out of curiosity?

Quote Originally Posted by skaraborgcraft View Post
    Traditional like what, out of curiosity?
    Maybe traditional is not quite the right word. A larger version of the Grey Seal is what I currently have in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Unik View Post

Boat larger will be larger sails, masts, and a greater number of deck equipment, big on parking costs.
    As noted earlier, I was wondering about extending the length while leaving the rig the same size.

I can understand the mooring costs issue.
    Last edited by Chris249; 06-15-2016 at 04:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by skaraborgcraft View Post
    It may be the case (or may not be) that it was designed to fit in an 8m berth. There is some standard size and beam charges in a lot of marinas, where going over a certain size can vastly increase the cost of even an overnight visit, let alone a long term berth. Sure longer boats are faster and more comfortable (generally), but cost of ownership can be different for everyone depending on use and location. Nothing unusual about the design this side of the puddle.
    Yes, I was wondering whether it was that sort of issue.

It also seems that this sort of stuff is related to the way we value and think about the true size of a boat, which is of course so variable depending on custom and culture. It's like the way some Europeans used to measure their boats by sail area, while the Brits used to measure them by Thames tonnage or LWL. These days there's a tendency to squeeze everything into the minimum possible LOA, which may not be the ideal way to design a boat. Why squeeze a quart into a pint pot?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris249 View Post
    Why squeeze a quart into a pint pot?
    Becuase that is what the market wants. Look at the powerboat market, mostly short and wide and not very efficient, but low dockage fees. Tads Yellow Ceder is a classic example of a great boat that ticks lots of boxes but has not found many owners.
    Some marinas, at least here in Sweden charge by the Sq metre, which is quite handy if your boat is 12m long but only 2m in beam, like many skerry cruisers, but that is not the norm, when any overhangs like dinghy davits, bowsprits and windvanes are all added into length and push the price up.
    Agree, not the best way to design a boat, but in 95% of cases we are talking about an expensive toy that might get used for 3 weeks of the year......the rest of the time its in a dock costing money.

Chris, we design our boats based on customer requirements, the design of lion 800 Our task was to create a boat of 8 meters long with the highest possible level of comfort on board, the room height should be at least 1.8m
    The boat should be designed for the construction of the plywood.
    The boat must be equipped with a lifting keel for navigation in shallow water.

All conditions have been met, the result is like me and the customer.
    We are working on a modification of the Lion 800 permanent ballast keel which has a length of 8.7 m.

Therefore, the height of the board is not for me dogma, we are able to design offshore racing boat with a small height of the bead and small wind resistance when moving in close-hauled.

The main objective of which is put in front of you, from this result depends.

http://unikyachts.com/en/lion-series-2/

Another small addition, maybe we have a different understanding of the concept of cheap boats. When I talk about the cost of the yacht Lion 800 I mean 37 000 USD as standard. This finished boat is ready to sail. This is a very good price for an 8 metre boat with this level of comfort on board.

Last edited by Unik; 06-16-2016 at 07:33 AM.

Another small addition, maybe we have a different understanding of the concept of cheap boats. When I talk about the cost of the yacht Lion 800 I mean 37 000 USD as standard. This finished boat is ready to sail. This is a very good price for an 8 metre boat with this level of comfort on board.

For that price, you have a winner, if you can prove robustness. Honestly, sail 3 of them across large open oceans, and then do examinations on the structural components etc. Ply is amazing stuff, but still limited. These seem like they might be slightly under Lloyd's standards Fiberglass is also amazing, but the proof is always in the pudding as they like to say

Please do not take my challenge as criticism of your collective engineering prowess, but rather, the age old proof paradigm.
    I wish you do this, you'll be a very rich company if you show documented old style proof that can only come from miles under the keel.

Thanks for the suggestions

I design ships and yachts for over 20 years after graduating from the shipbuilding University.
    My family works in shipbuilding since the 17th century, because in Nikolaev the main occupation is the construction of ships. )))
    I honor the shipbuilding tradition, and are very serious about security issues in the design of yachts.
    Work on a series of yachts Lion is an attempt to offer people an inexpensive and high-quality modern yacht.
    Now we designed two boats of the line Lion's yacht Lion600 and Lion800 length of 6 and 8 meters, in the near future we want to continue working in this direction and offer 9 meters yacht and an 8 metre catamaran.
    Last edited by Unik; 06-23-2016 at 03:11 AM.

I love your city - great history

Many people on this forum would also like to see sailboats like this one being built
    Your design is thoroughly modern, I like it, and the concept of the Lion

Please share & document any long voyages which have already taken place, (if possible).

The project Lion 800 already started building yachts, all the steps we document and if it will be of interest I will post information here.

Construction began on the 800 Lion, kit set, of the progress of the construction will be put in the forum a full report on the construction of the website UNIK YACHTS

http://unikyachts.com/en/lion-800-construction/

Very interesting yacht! I will follow this thread with interest.

My late Father In Law was Ukranian. His name was Nikolai, and he was known here as Mike. He was an ingenious, crafty man, and made his living as a carpenter and joiner.
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

Thank you, in Ukraine a lot of talented people.

Thank you, in Ukraine a lot of talented people.
    He told me that many times!
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

Assembly of the frames and gluing joints puzzle.

As promised, we continue to publish the details of construction, today completed the assembly and bonding of the transverse frames.

More details here

Those puzzel joints definately save a lot of time, thats quick progress for framework. Do you have a "local" brand of epoxy or is it imported resin?

In Ukraine is made by epoxy resin but you can use the import. The main thing is good quality of epoxy.

Continue to describe the course of construction of Lion 800, assembling the frames, setting the frame for the mounting of internal rigging.

Continue to describe the course of construction of Lion 800, assembling the frames, setting the frame for the mounting of internal rigging.
    I have been interested in sailboat designs with bigger interiors on a shorter water line. If I were to build a boat in my 50's, I would want to be able to stay overnight comfortably in it without spending a high marina fee based on length. It is why the Buehler 28' Njord design is an advantageous improvement on his Hagar. However, the Lion 800 looks like it would be an ultralight and capable of some good performance. Unlike some of the comments above, I think several modern sports boats have higher freeboard than I would have designed and trend farther away from Uffa Fox's flat speed sailing toward the qualities of the racing scow at a high angle of heel where the increased freeboard is put to good use. I bet the Lion 800 in good tune will perform well.
    "Never get out of the boat." Apocalypse (Then)