Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 20 ft freighter canoe ( Tim's design)

Default 20 ft freighter canoe ( Tim's design)

Hello all. Several years ago I read and followed oysters build of this canoe. I actually talked to Tim on the phone once. I was looking for plans but Tim's web site isn't up any longer.
    I'm looking for the plans any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks Nelson.

Default Re: 20 ft freighter canoe ( Tim's design)

Found the thread. But yer right his site is gone. however, plans for canoes that large are not hard to find, I like Maine's Grand Lakers
    Denise, Bristol PA, Oday30, Anchor Yacht Club, On tidal Delaware River. my current project; http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...0-Ducker-Resto

There is a list of canoe plans at http://www.wcha.org/canoe-plans/ on the Wooden Canoe Heritage Association site which includes several 20 foot ones. Good luck,

Benson

I really appreciate the comments but I'm really liking Tims canoe.

"Tim" ??

I'll recommend starting a new thread with his full name, name of his company, name of the design, etc -- and say "looking for plans for xxxxx" in the title.
    "The enemies of reason have a certain blind look."
    Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.

It's Tim Marchetti and the website was cncroutinganddesign.com. He at least used to be a forum member here, but hasn't posted since Oct. 2015

The boat is his 20' freighter canoe - and it's a really neat boat.

Photobucket building album:

http://s877.photobucket.com/user/123...?sort=3&page=1

Such large canoes just don't look like canoes to me, looking @ ribless build that size also makes me wonder if the bottom is/would flex
    Denise, Bristol PA, Oday30, Anchor Yacht Club, On tidal Delaware River. my current project; http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...0-Ducker-Resto

53" beam, 43" at the transom

There is no rational, logical, or physical description of how free will could exist. It therefore makes no sense to praise or condemn anyone on the grounds they are a free willed self that made one choice but could have chosen something else. There is no evidence that such a situation is possible in our Universe. Demonstrate otherwise and I will be thrilled.

looking @ ribless build that size also makes me wonder if the bottom is/would flex
    That all depends on the scantlings. They're cored composite constructions, similar to a lot of regular fiberglass boats. On a paddling canoe like my 22' North Canoe I got away with 1/4" strips on the sides, 3/8" on the bottom and a pretty typical glass layup, but using ten ounce cloth. It will ripple slightly if you bounce up and down, but mostly along the sides. On a freight canoe like Tim's design, which is going to be motor powered at higher speed, both the strip thickness and layup will need to be beefed up. Strippers won't tolerate a lot of bottom bounce without breaking.

It's kind of funny that other than feeling heavy and sluggish when you're trying to get one moving under paddle power, once they're up to a decent speed they still handle pretty much like any other canoe if they're double-enders or V-sterns. That changes to some extent when they start putting the wider transoms on the freighter designs and they become essentially narrow-ish motorboats.

If I could figure out what I would actually do with one, I'd love to have one of the big wooden freighters from Nor-West in the 20'-22' range. Maybe for evening cocktail cruises around the lake, but I don't really have any freight to haul.

http://nor-west.ca/en/

Yup that's the one I want. Would be great for running limb lines for catfish here in Alabama off of the Tennessee River.

Yup.. pretty much like many in the same size range, did you check the plans list that Benson posted? TN river is big water.. sure you don't want something even larger? I mean if you are going to be leaning over for line work.... "jus wonnering!"

I've looked at the others. I want Tim's. I fish the back waters. Most guys myself included use small jon boats. Tim's will work great.

Been a tough month here for me but all is good. Oyster messaged me and we talked on the phone. Great guy. I only hope my freighter canoe turns out half as nice as the one he built. He helped me get in touch with Tim and I sent off the money for the plans today.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Bradshaw View Post

If I could figure out what I would actually do with one, I'd love to have one of the big wooden freighters from Nor-West in the 20'-22' range. Maybe for evening cocktail cruises around the lake, but I don't really have any freight to haul.
    schooner rigged?
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

More likely Honda-rigged.

Oh, yes. That's the type of powerboat for me. We have this little mellow river, and it would be great to putt putt up it with the dog and all the (now way too big for us to paddle them upstream) kids and junk, eat a bunch of food and bird watch until the owls start swooping, and then paddle back down to the takeout...

Oh, I do most fishing at night, so I'm rigged for activities sans sunlight.

My wife loves the bowseat, brothers, and she can MAN it!

I like canoes. All kinds. My wife and I have wasted near 20 years together in them. Life well spent!

Peace,
    Robert

http://www.duckworksbbs.com/plans/storer/qce/index.htm looks like an easier way to get a square stern canoe. Had a plastic old town square stern and it was a brilliant boat except for the weight. 130 lbs iirc.
    Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post
    Oh, yes. That's the type of powerboat for me. We have this little mellow river, and it would be great to putt putt up it with the dog and all the (now way too big for us to paddle them upstream) kids and junk, eat a bunch of food and bird watch until the owls start swooping, and then paddle back down to the takeout...

Oh, I do most fishing at night, so I'm rigged for activities sans sunlight.

My wife loves the bowseat, brothers, and she can MAN it!

I like canoes. All kinds. My wife and I have wasted near 20 years together in them. Life well spent!

Peace,
    Robert

That is slick. I like his boats. I think his Beth canoe is the prettiest square boat ever. I've seen a few other of his designs, but that one is new to me.
    That's like what I build by eye. I got one frame knee pattern I keep using. We mostly make little pointy ended canoe type boats, but also punty types and skiff types. Like we got a factory. Me. Over the years. For friends, and a couple, let's face it, patrons.

We just built a dumb simple punt to do the same run. She's gonna live stashed in the boonies, though.

If I was to do a freighter, though, I'd get really choosy about the sequoia I used for the hull, not for looks, but quality and dryness and blah blah, take a lot of care with a quality, heavier layup of glass, then I'd paint it, because I'm a savage. This may happen one day. A nice y stern job. We did the trolling motor thing for a while with a borrowed one. It would be fine for my application, I think. I don't know, though, if a battery or two wouldn't be worse to deal with than a little gas motor. I've never owned a gas motor for a boat.

I quit strip canoes a few years ago when I became irritated, even after switching brands, despite, I assure you, adequate precautions. Little drips, even promptly vinegarred, and motes of dust just a smudge too green add up, I guess, eh?
    I did just get this new type of epoxy which isn't like poison oak to me, yet, and I got a big old roll of 60" glass right over yonder. I also happen to live in the heart of sequoia country, though I really like sugar pine better for a strip boat. Just me.

My hands are full of boat dumbness right now, anyway.

Peace,
    Robert

This IS pretty neat. I mean, it's not an umiaq loaded with moose meat.....but it's still cool. What size Honda do we suppose that is and how fast might she cruise?

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Bradshaw View Post
    It's Tim Marchetti and the website was cncroutinganddesign.com. He at least used to be a forum member here, but hasn't posted since Oct. 2015

The boat is his 20' freighter canoe - and it's a really neat boat.

Photobucket building album:

http://s877.photobucket.com/user/123...?sort=3&page=1

9.9 hp according to the designer - http://forums.bateau2.com/viewtopic....24538&start=10

Hi Folks
    Thanks for the kind words about my design. I've been away for awhile. I sold my CNC business, and my house and have been building our new house. My new email is tmarchett26@gmail.com. I no longer have the capacity to print plans, but I will sell electronic plans that can be printed full scale on a large format printer or send files for someone to cut with a cnc router.
    Cheers
    Tim Marchetti
    CNC Routing & Design
    www.cncroutinganddesign.com

Glad to see you are still around, Tim. I've been wondering what happened to you, and I'm happy you still have the files for that freighter of yours. It's a good design, and I'd like to see some more built.
    Cricket

Quote Originally Posted by jim_cricket View Post
    It's a good design, and I'd like to see some more built.
    Cricket
    Here is another one. I bought the pattern for a 20' freighter canoe from Tim about two years ago and started construction May 2015. I'd say I'm 90% complete. I need to do a final sanding and epoxy coat, then varnish. The seats are finished but need to be installed. Then lighting, bilge pumps, and the bracket for the six gallon fuel tank. After that, it's a 45 mile trip to LA Wildlife & Fisheries for a Homebuilt Vessel inspection and to give them $93. Then I'll get out on the river and see how it handles and see how much weight it can safely carry. I'm building this canoe to use and one of the first trips will be the Mississippi River. About 1600 miles of it anyway. For that trip I will be adding a 50 gal fuel tank in the center along with a cage for gear on top of the tank. I have also built another seat for the boat and this one has a dashboard mounted underneath that contains two batteries for all the electronics, a battery switch, a switch panel for lights and bilge pumps, and a marine radio. The chart plotter will be mounted on top. The schedule is to put in at St. Paul Minnesota on June 30th of this year and try to make it to Head of Passes and take out at Venice Louisiana. I'll camp most of the way with the exception of Memphis where a hot shower and BBQ is planned.
    I tried but had difficulty adding a picture here. I'll work on that. Hopefully you can go to Photobucket and search for LostCaddo and see pic's of the build so far.
    I just uploaded them today, if there is a problem with my folder settings or something, let me know, I'd appreciate any guidance.

Looking Good! It's great to see one getting built. I have have sent out plans and even cnc molds to folks that haven't built them. Please post pics of the finished boat and maybe some fro your trip
    Tim Marchetti
    CNC Routing & Design
    www.cncroutinganddesign.com

Although it's not complete, I launched the Lost Caddo this weekend. It handles great. No surprises and nothing scary.
    With only one in the canoe, it stays pretty high in the bow. Enough that you have to look around, not over, the front of the boat.
    With two of us, it's much better. I'll be adding some weight as I finish the seats and dash board, and second fuel tank so it will likely change
    the ride somewhat. I'm using a Yamaha F25 for power. 175lbs. It's more than what this boat needs but it's what I have and the canoe
    holds it well. After an hour of trying it on the lake, I just sat in it until dark. Thinking of all the sanding, and epoxying, and more sanding.
    And thinking that it was all worth it.[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]

Lost Caddo,
    Looks great!
    That is a real voyager!

Lost Caddo update.
    I finished the build and put it in the Mississippi in St. Paul MN just below L&D1 (permanently closed). . Using the 25HP Yamaha 4-stroke and a 50 gal fuel tank, I went about 1400 miles, give or take, to Vicksburg MS. I ran out of days off work so I stopped there but will put in soon to run the rest of the way to the Gulf. I thought I could make the whole trip in 8 days but waiting to lock thru used up several hours at more than one L&D and also I ran in a lot of hard rain which cut visibility so I slowed down for that.
    I did between 20 and 25mph most of the way (GPS).
    I stopped for gas 4 times but the 1st time I only filled it up 1/3. Same for the 2nd. The last two fill ups were almost to the top (50gals). That's better than 10mpg.
    I did 300 miles one day.
    I camped out most nights but did get a hotel in Memphis. I also slept in the boat 1 night that I ran till dark and then could not find a suitable stopping point to camp. Marine bean bag worked pretty well.
    At the start, I was nervous of every wake I crossed. I would slow down at every one so the boat wouldn't slap down. I would cringe when I misjudged the wakes. Near the end of the trip, I was running pretty much wide open in a pouring rain and even catching air off of some of the wakes from the big tows on the river.
    This canoe amazed me.

This sounds like a great trip and would make a fun story for the Wooden Canoe journal if you want to write it up and provide some pictures. See http://www.wcha.org/about-wcha for the contact information.

Benson

Lost Cado,

You built your canoe and took it adventuring. My hat is off to you, great work!

I noticed your pictures are gone, prolly part of the great photo disappearance. I have had good experiences with shutterfly if you want to post more pictures.
    "Yeah, well, that's just, like your opinion man"
    -The Dude-

Does anyone have a current contact for Tim? The e-mail he posted doesn't work anymore, and he hasn't logged on here since this thread.

Alternately, this being a Designs and Plans forum: Anybody know of a decent 17'+ to 18'+ freighter design? There's some little 16's out there, and some big 20's, but I'm not finding much in between.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Arthur Trollingson View Post
    Does anyone have a current contact for Tim? The e-mail he posted doesn't work anymore, and he hasn't logged on here since this thread.

Alternately, this being a Designs and Plans forum: Anybody know of a decent 17'+ to 18'+ freighter design? There's some little 16's out there, and some big 20's, but I'm not finding much in between.
    http://www.gentrycustomboats.com/ What's new page says he is working on a 16' motor canoe. SOF is a cinch to make bigger.

Trollingson, by freighter do you want about 4'of beam, a transom? Selway-Fisher has double ended long and transomed shorter. I bet he would be happy to alter the one one you want to your desired length. This one states it can be stretched to 16' already. Not much of stretch to 17-18'

"Yeah, well, that's just, like your opinion man"
    -The Dude-

Quote Originally Posted by Matt young View Post
    Trollingson, by freighter do you want about 4'of beam, a transom? Selway-Fisher has double ended long and transomed shorter. I bet he would be happy to alter the one one you want to your desired length. This one states it can be stretched to 16' already. Not much of stretch to 17-18'
    Yes, wide beam, square transom, and flat aft is what I'm looking for. A tucked up stern in Grand Laker style might be OK.

I've messaged Mr. Fisher, and he would be happy to re-design the boat, for a reasonable price. As drawn, that boat stretched would be 17+' x 44 1/2 x 13 1/4 deep.

Tim's boat is 53" at mid, 43" wide at transom, and 20" deep.
    Production boats in this length range tend towards 50+" wide, and at least 17+" deep, with few exceptions going narrower.

I recall Tim saying he'd drawn a version of these boats with a narrower transom and slight rocker. I'd love to see both options. However if I can't get my hands on suitable plans, I will have Mr. Fisher draw me a boat. It would be pretty cool to build the first one.

Quote Originally Posted by sailnstink View Post
    http://www.gentrycustomboats.com/ What's new page says he is working on a 16' motor canoe. SOF is a cinch to make bigger.

IC f1.jpg
    15'9"x40"/4.8m x 1.01m Currently at 55lbs/25kg Low HP outboard or an electric trolling motor or Torqueedo.

Been busy with landscaping/car care/remodeling but hope to get her skinned this weekend.
    But, while traditional SOF is a cinch to make bigger, it would require a re-design (because of the frames) to make this one more than a foot longer. As is, she's just under the length limit for extra beaurocracy, at least in some places.

Dave