Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do you think building a wall will help reduce the drug violence in the US?

Default Re: Do you think building a wall will help reduce the drug violence in the US?

Yes. Why are these threads so myopic? With greater border security, drug smuggling will be more difficult. We have never had a secure southern border. Let's give it a try..

Default Re: Do you think building a wall will help reduce the drug violence in the US?

If you are serious about stopping drug violence in the US start by creating a caring and inclusive society where drug use is not required as a coping mechanism.

Quote Originally Posted by bluedog225 View Post
    Yes. Why are these threads so myopic? With greater border security, drug smuggling will be more difficult. We have never had a secure southern border. Let's give it a try..
    Specifically in reference to the drug smuggling, given the evidence posted on this thread and others, that most of it comes in concealed in legally entering vehicles, what do you propose?
    Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race. H. G. Wells

A prominent industrialist in Britain purchase a Victorian mansion and proceeded to build a big wall around a very large slice of land with guard towers so he could look out at the rural landsdscape. He employed ex Marines as 'gardeners' and built a road round the outside patrolled by armed guards.
    I visited the estate via a mutual acquaintance, met the man.
    He'd built himself a private prison

Be careful you don't wall yourselves in rather than wall others out. Such a structure can be misused.

Got zero problem with greater border security. What I have a problem with is a wall. It will not make a difference of any significance.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Greater border security.

And a lot comes in the old fashioned way. On mules. And they die in various horrible ways. And many are kids.

If you are interested in learning more about this, Maria Full of Grace will help.

As long as there's a market, there will be suppliers. The answer lies within the United States, not without.

Follow the money.

Greater border security.

And a lot comes in the old fashioned way. On mules. And they die in various horrible ways. And many are kids.
    You do realize that "mule" is a term for a person who transports drugs, right?

So - our big national problem is 20 mule team heroin?

A mule (if they're used) could carry what - 150 lbs? A hidden compartment in a tractor trailer coming through a regular border crossing could hold 1,000.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Based on the data, San Ysidro sits at the top of arrest records for drug trafficking. This makes sense, given it is the “busiest land port of entry in the Western Hemisphere.” This doesn’t mean the Mexico border sees the bulk of the drug trafficking arrests, though.

A high volume of trafficking has been found in other major cities including Atlanta, Detroit, and New York City. Based on public records, a large volume of seizures is related to drugs being trafficked not only through major airports, but also through U.S. mail and other carriers. In 2015, federal auditors seized nearly 35,000 lbs of marijuana from USPS parcels.

https://www.detox.net/uncover/drug-m...y-the-numbers/

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race. H. G. Wells

"So now they take drugs, literally, and they throw it, a hundred pounds of drugs. They throw it over the wall, they have catapults, but they throw it over the wall, and it lands and it hits somebody on the head."
    Donald Trump on Friday, September 22nd, 2017 in a rally
    Skip

---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --
    ...........fighting against the deliberate polarization of politics...

^ Doctor my brain hurts..

Quote Originally Posted by L.A Marche View Post
    If you are serious about stopping drug violence in the US start by creating a caring and inclusive society where drug use is not required as a coping mechanism.
    Because we don’t want to feel responsible for our behavior. Like Teump it’s always someone else’s fault. Darn those Mexicans.

Quote Originally Posted by SKIP KILPATRICK View Post
    "So now they take drugs, literally, and they throw it, a hundred pounds of drugs. They throw it over the wall, they have catapults, but they throw it over the wall, and it lands and it hits somebody on the head."
    American made trampolines to bounce the drugs back! Call ACME !

Quote Originally Posted by SKIP KILPATRICK View Post
    Trump confirms his wall will not stop drugs... you can't make this crap up!

Quote Originally Posted by isla View Post
    Based on the data, San Ysidro sits at the top of arrest records for drug trafficking. This makes sense, given it is the “busiest land port of entry in the Western Hemisphere.” This doesn’t mean the Mexico border sees the bulk of the drug trafficking arrests, though.

A high volume of trafficking has been found in other major cities including Atlanta, Detroit, and New York City. Based on public records, a large volume of seizures is related to drugs being trafficked not only through major airports, but also through U.S. mail and other carriers. In 2015, federal auditors seized nearly 35,000 lbs of marijuana from USPS parcels.

https://www.detox.net/uncover/drug-m...y-the-numbers/

Finally some data. Outlaw sedans and pickups!!

Quote Originally Posted by birlinn View Post
    Trump confirms his wall will not stop drugs... you can't make this crap up!

Our crap starts at the top.

realDonaldTrump
    Just left a meeting with Chuck and Nancy, a total waste of time. I asked what is going to happen in 30 days if I quickly open things up, are you going to approve Border Security which includes a Wall or Steel Barrier? Nancy said, NO. I said bye-bye, nothing else works!

Quote Originally Posted by LeeG View Post
    Finally some data. Outlaw sedans and pickups!!
    They missed out drones. If they are not being used now they soon will be, it's only a matter of time. Currently the top 'hobby' drones have a range of around 5Km and can carry around 2Kg payloads. Heavy duty professional drones can carry up to 18Kg.

Humpty Trumpty wanted a wall
    Humpty Trumpty's due for a fall

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

The profits from drug smuggling only go up as a result of money spent combatting them.
    Moronic

Wouldn't it be simpler and more effective to decriminalize the drugs in question, thereby removing the profits of the smuggling trade?
    This doesn't seem to be happening here, in states where marijuana was made legal. Numerous reports indicate that the illegal drug trade continues to thrive. Also, legalization has allowed the cartels to muscle-in and open ( via front companies) legal marijuana farms at which they grow product for illegal sale.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/colora...rket-1.4647198

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...states-n875666

https://www.newsweek.com/2018/01/19/...na-775665.html

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan McCosh View Post
    How did morphine come into the U.S. when 80% was grown in Afghanistan, occupied by U.S. troops? When they make a meth bust at the border with Canada, it usually is a semi truck or two. They have to cross a river a half-mile wide. No fence or wall. Funny how the stuff seems to get through. Might also note that Australia is the number one source of opiate production. How about a wall in the Pacific?
    Australia's opium industry is very tightly regulated for the production of medical opium. I don't believe there is any evidence that it finds its way into the illicit drug stream.

Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Australia's opium industry is very tightly regulated for the production of medical opium. I don't believe there is any evidence that it finds its way into the illicit drug stream.

Don't really know how this two-year-old post got here, but it would appear that it was supposed to say Afghanistan, not Australia. Afghanistan was the major grower of opium poppies for decades--don't know about today.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan McCosh View Post
    Don't really know how this two-year-old post got here, but it would appear that it was supposed to say Afghanistan, not Australia. Afghanistan was the major grower of opium poppies for decades--don't know about today.
    So why would a wall across the Pacific Ocean help with opium grown in Afghanistan? Australia is a big producer, but not for the illegal trade.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    So why would a wall across the Pacific Ocean help with opium grown in Afghanistan? Australia is a big producer, but not for the illegal trade.

Don't remember what the original post was based on. But might note that "illegal" drugs are a small fraction of the opioid problem--most deaths from overdoses stem from prescription drugs. The dollars from the illicit drug trade are something different, since heroin and cocaine don't have much of a medical significance. I don't even remember making the post three years ago, but maybe Australia is the major source of opioids shipped to the U.S. The recent speech referred to the deaths from overdoses as a reason for building a wall on the Mexican border, but didn't note that most of the deaths are from prescription drugs.

Quote Originally Posted by genglandoh View Post
    This story is from 2015.
    According to what I've read, the bulk of illegal drugs from Mexico (and everywhere else) is smuggled through ports of entry, not hauled across the desert or the Rio Grande. So a wall wouldn't affect it.

Best,
    Chris
    "Where we would wish to reform we must not reproach." -Thomas Paine

Posts #23 & #30 explain in accurate detail why a wall will not reduce drugs, and therefore, drug violence in this country. Any wonder the OPer has disappeared?
    __________________________________________________ ________________________

Read up on how fentanyl is coming into this country from China, either directly through the U.S. mail or via Canada.

As one of tens of thousands of parents who lost a child from a fentanyl overdose, you can hopefully imagine the anger and frustration I feel hearing Trump declare that spending $25 billion (or even $5.7 billion) on a wall will help stop the flow of drugs and have any effect on the opioid crisis.

St. Paul, MN Mississippi River Milepost 840.2

Brian, I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. And yes it is frustrating to hear lies about such an important and sensitive topic.