Thread: Video Greek traditional boats

Default Video Greek traditional boats

Here is a link to some footage showing some traditional new builds. There is also a depressing sequence showing how traditional fishing vessels are destroyed in a European Union program to decrease the number of the coastal fishing fleet.

http://www.kathimerini.gr/861686/gal...oyn-sth-steria

Default Re: Video Greek traditional boats

Why would they want to decrease the fleet while the Greek is not exactly in good economy and for many this is what they only knew to do?
    Those are beautiful boats, well taken care of, I think many can be converted for other use.

I think the similar approach in Turkey also. Goverment is collecting the fishing wessels greater tahn 10 meters. Due to lot of fishing wessels. Because of fishing out of control. There are many wessels but not enouh fish.. Of cours I do not know are they the same prosedure in Greek but in Turkey this is the situation.

İn Turkey , these wessels iron made and so ugly.. I support this in Turkey..

Its because of overfishing in coastal waters.

How to find and open vid ?

click on the link which should open a link to the Greek daily newspaper KATHIMERINI videos. A video window appears near the top of the page. Click on the arrow to begin the video.

Does not work for me. Pity because I am in Poros, sail a classic and the boat was filmed during the classic show last week.

See if you can open www.kathimerini.gr then go 2/3 down the home page and you will see a traditional boat like a trehantiri with Binteo "K" on the upper left side of the window. The video was (is) on today's e-newspaper. Click the arrow to start video.

Quote Originally Posted by dinoa View Post
    Its because of overfishing in coastal waters.

Basically the entire Mediterranean sea.

Overfishing is a huge ecological problem in the mediterranean sea. Other than in the Atlantic ocean where are basically the same rules and regulations and situation is improving since almost a decade, in the Mediterranean sea so many small fishing boats are underway, fishing with lots of different techniques, that this is unlikely to be controlled. Sailing in the Aegean sea is going from island to island, very nice, but you can also see the plethora of small fishing boats and sometimes you really wonder that such a small island has so many fishing boats. Hardly to imagine that there is any official controll about how much and what they fishing.

http://eu.oceana.org/en/press-center...are-overfished

Thank you for the vid. Those boats are lovely.

I think there's more fishing capacity within a couple miles of my bookshop than there is in the whole of Greece. A big part of the problem is that the Med just isn't producing as many fish as it once did.

Here's what's across the ship canal from me:

They mostly fish Alaska. That's a well-managed fishery, and the state hasn't screwed up all the spawning ground for the salmon.

The Med was never a great fishery. As it is an area of net evaporation that exceeds river and precipitation input, the elevated salinity causes subsidence with little nutrients rising to the photic zone. River estuaries and migrating fish are the exception.

Well, I suppose that's why the Mediterranean is so delightfully clear.

Quote Originally Posted by OldBawley View Post
    Does not work for me. Pity because I am in Poros, sail a classic and the boat was filmed during the classic show last week.
    First I want to say Ευχαριστο πολυ to dinoa for the post.

It wouldn't work for me either (may require JavaScript or Flash,
    neither of which I allow to run on my phone), so I did a little peek behind the curtain.
    Here are links to the video. You can play it online in your browser, or you can download several defs as described by the "label" tag.
    I downloaded the 360, it's a bit less than 50Mb, a little more than 6 minutes long.
    Well worth it.

label: "1080"

label: "720"

label: "432"

label: "360"

“What use is a house if you haven’t got a tolerable planet to put it on?”

~~~ Henry David Thoreau

Thanks have seen vid.
    Although I live ( Cruise ) in Greece since 5 years, the language stays a mystery. Speak 5 languages, even Turkish was ¾ understood but Greek.... ochi.

I know the bigger red kaikia well, have spend some time on it. Friend of mine is the captain and he considers me a “Wooden boat expert “
    Sailing back to Daskalio island I passed a small wooden jewel sailing to Poros classic days. The small boat ( about 16 feet ) was Junk rigged and sailed extremely well. Must be a newer design, fantastic sailor.

Each year I visited the Spetses Classic rally. Not as a participant, just mooring in the harbour between all those exquisite boats and enjoying the ambiance. This year I have to pass.
    Just look Spetses classic rally up on Youtube, a few vids there.
    Unfortunately half of the vid filled with yachtsmen loving to talk into a microphone and spilling champagne.

This low resolution ( bad ) vid gives an idea of life in Poros.

Last edited by OldBawley; 05-31-2016 at 09:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by johnw View Post
    I think there's more fishing capacity within a couple miles of my bookshop than there is in the whole of Greece...
    not even close...

Old Bawley,

Nice video. I can almost smell the wood, pitch and spirit.

Quote Originally Posted by dinoa View Post
    The Med was never a great fishery. As it is an area of net evaporation that exceeds river and precipitation input, the elevated salinity causes subsidence with little nutrients rising to the photic zone. River estuaries and migrating fish are the exception.

Yes indeed. The water in the med is as clear as gin...no life.

the migratory fish stocks...tuna..are very depleted.

the inshore fishery doesnt produce enough to support large fishing boats, only small inshore market fisherman.

Tuna they chase all over the world, so depletion is not only due to Med overfishing despite international tuna quotas. Other migratory species like anchovy, sardines, bonito, mackerel, blue fish etc are fished locally by purse seiners (gri gri). They are usually wooden boats towing a few dinghies. They also carry "robots" which are lamps on floats that are cast off to attract fish on moonless nights so the mother vessel can later circle them while setting the net. The largest of the dinghies holds the beginning of the net and joins the mother when the encirclement is complete.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1D2rJLxOby4

All Mediteranean fish stocks are on the edge of extinction because of overfishing.

https://medreact.org/2016/02/07/medi...-on-the-brink/

commercial fishing in the Med should be stopped.

Not reduced ....Stopped...

or the next generation of Europeans will be left with a desert

First there is big problem with fish population (a lot of fish become sexually mature erlier than usual in front of danger of disapear). EU found the solution of decrease the number of fishing boats. But the paranoia is that in the other hand gave money and the permition to build biger and new trawlers. Only trawlers. Very big boats that can go fishing with almost all the weathers fish most kinds of seabeds The worst kind of fishing (at least in Aegean) They gave money for the destruction of any fishing boat (not only the biger than 10 m)

In post 14 I mentioned a very fast sailing boat.
    I think this is the one. A real beauty

http://www.traditionalboatshow.gr/in...hrysopigi-2016

^ That is superb photography. Thanks, poly orea!