Thread: myboatplans.com/"Martin Reid" ripping off many blogs, me, Lillistone, Sjogin, etc.

Default myboatplans.com/"Martin Reid" ripping off many blogs, me, Lillistone, Sjogin, etc.

518 boats aka Martin Reid is scraping content from my blog and many other blogs that we enjoy reading.

It has come to my attention that some spammy looking site based at myboatplans.com is running multiple blogs, ripping off content from my blog, 1001 Boats, Ross Lillistone's blog, and many others in an attempt to get unsuspecting people to buy what appears to be a package of 518 Boat Plans. I am not clicking on the link for obvious reasons.

It's not one or two blogposts. They have grabbed almost my entire blog, something I have worked on for 7 yeaEs

If you really want to see, go to these blogspot addresses

downloadboatplansfiles
    americanboatplans
    diyboatplans
    boatplans4you
    zoneboat
    Myboatfreeplans

This product- 518 Boat Plans or some variation of it has been hocked before, see: http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...plans-worth-it

The blog posts, if you notice the date, are recent, within the past few weeks. The scammer is still at large and doing his/her work.

He can run a scammy website for all I care, but to run multiple blogs, using my content, other people's content, is not acceptable. I'm especially furious for the designers like Lillistone who use their blogs as vehicles to his legitimate product. I write for fun, Ross writes for a living.

I could use some technical advice if anyone has any on how to put the brakes on this. Also, check for your blog to see if you're being scraped at well. There is some advice on how to deal with this, but how to deal with it when it's hosted on google's own blog platform? They are not the easiest to get in contact with. I've attempted to notify google through "someone is copying my content" and it just keeps looping me back and back.

Frustrating. There's no "report this blog" option on his blogs either.

Ideas?
    Last edited by callsign222; 05-25-2016 at 01:31 PM.

Default Re: myboatplans.com/"Martin Reid" ripping off many blogs, me, Lillistone, Sjogin, etc

This one popped up recently, is it part of the same scam or a different one? http://getfreeboat.blogspot.com/

Default Re: myboatplans.com/"Martin Reid" ripping off many blogs, me, Lillistone, Sjogin, etc

Yes, same... Add it to the list!

I can shed a little light, having been scraped and hotlinked and so forth over the years. I'm sorry it's happening to you. In one of my cases it was actually a "reputable" boatbuilder who probably didn't understand the full import of what they were doing.

First, if you're running your site on blogger or wordpress.com or one of the other "free" options, it's harder to protect yourself because Blogger/Wordpress/etc have their own ways of protecting content, and some of them are nominally on the other side because they sell advertising. Google/Blogger did respond to a casual request promptly.

If you are on your own hosting there are more things you can do to make a scraper's life harder without doing a DMCA takedown. It might be a good time to migrate to your own hosting so you can take some control over how images are served and which bots and spiders can slurp your stuff. Shared hosting is not that expensive, and the control is well worth it, IMO.

Next look up who the perps are hosted on, collect evidence that they are stealing content by copying URL's and screenshots for both your original and the thief's copy, then submit a DMCA takedown request to their host. Webhosts hate those; they hate losing a paying customer, hate being put in an enforcement position when they just want to peddle bandwidth and hard drive space. But they will take the plundered content down if they are cornered with a valid request. You won't get civility.

My last perp was running an account on my own host! That went down well... :^)

Before you send the takedown request, prepare your own site for an immediate retaliatory attack once it goes through. If the perp is stealing your stuff to sell, they will have no compunction about hiring some scripters to try to take your site down. With proper preparation this is a minor annoyance for a few days. If you're using self-hosted Wordpress I can help, not experienced with hardening other types of sites, but look up htaccess config and consult your webhost if you have a managed account, let them know what you are about to do and ask for help. Fending off that attack will help them as well, esp if you're on shared hosting where the attack could take down many accounts.

seedy,

My blog is Google/Blogger and all the blogs the scraper is using are Google/Blogger... How did you even make a casual request to Google? I keep getting redirected when in their assistance area for Blogger.

Just a thought, but even if marked nofollow it's doing you no favors to post live links to a spammers' site.
    Do you SOF?

Agreed

This is the boating equivalent of Ted's Woodworking, a very similar pirate site offering 16,000 plus woodworking plans. That site gets shut down and then pops up in another form. It has been impossible to stomp out.

One issue is that the free sites don't offer content protection of any kind. None of those are perfect but they're locks for honest people. Meanwhile gov't going after "violators" if the complainants are large enough. Low market value means impunity.

Quote Originally Posted by callsign222 View Post
    518 boats aka Martin Reid is scraping content from my blog and many other blogs that we enjoy reading.

It has come to my attention that some spammy looking site based at myboatplans.com is running multiple blogs

Ideas?
    This is an old thread. but an interesting development.

A friend paid his money and found a set of my plans in the members area with all the copyright notices at the bottom of the pages removed. Same for a Jeff Spira document.

We were doing a bit of detective work. And found that the perpetrator may have died.

"when I tried to contact him discovered he passed away last month"

With the clear proof of my plans being passed off as his own materials I have put in a complaint with his domain registration and his hosting. Under laws enacted since we became aware of him anyone who knowingly facilitates the theft of IP is responsible too. Both his hosting and domain registrant are legitimate so are likely to follow through with what they see as appropriate action. So whether he is dead or not we hope for a fatal blow to his website.

MIK
    Last edited by Boatmik; 05-01-2022 at 02:42 AM.