Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst ... 234 ... LastLast

Thread: Bobby's most excellent adventure.

Default Re: Bobby's most excellent adventure.

Arrived in Tortola yesterday Afternoon, spent the pm, sorting out primary systems and airing of the boat. Today in road town doing the registration. Running up systems and making a work list . Bugger, but it is hot, and expensive, blew 30+ kts last night but we are loving it. Just sorted out WiFi, will post a couple of pics later.

I can relate to the value of a chain counter, but its not very high "gotta-get" list. I have about 32 ft of chain, so my rope is marked at intervals equal to the chain length with a bit of rag sewn into the lay of the rope, black for intermediate, and red for each ~~hundred ft to 300 ft.

I added a chain counter a few years ago, but we still have coded chain. The easy way to get it for me was to put a wireless windlass controller in, its really convenient for singlehanding and actually has saved our bacon a couple of times.
    I had a raft up drift down on me when I was on anchor watch during the day with the family ashore.
    Man it happens fast when it happens . I ran up to get the snubber off and had the windlass operating as I was running back down the deck, and then operated it ( brutally) both while motoring ahead and then a slammed reverse to pull the anchor out from underneath them.

The component that fails on the anchor counter is the little magnetic pellet that you bed into the gypsy. Magnets and salt water are not friends. To make the magnet last longer I carefully cover the imbedded magnet with sikaflex.
    Not perfect, but the magnet lasts twice as long ..

oh and pick up a spare maget for your counter.

Wednesday, 48 hrs on board. Every locker emptied, cleaned, restocked after throwing stuff away, 2 leaking hatches fixed, main engines and generator serviced and proved, one alternator replaced, hose on boiler burst and flooded port engine room, fixed. Solars and wind gen going great, all systems proved. Puffer switches on windlass replaced with micros, fridges and freezers topped up, toilets serviced, all strainers and filters cleaned, plus other stuff I cannot remember. Leave the dock tommorow and put a. Sail or two up.....

Bilge pumps checked. Shower sumps checked. Transmissions working, fire extinguishers within range, radios.

I'm sure you've exercised the heads.

Fun meter at full deflection?

I'm green with envy.
    Hey its funny , I was thinking last night that 3 of of 'the kids', boat kids that grew up around us on three of our cruising friends boats are in Palma now . One is older and actually running or 2 IC on a new superyacht, 2 others just landed there this season.

post up pics please then scot can make this a sticky…
    and I'm green with envy too… i have been working hard to get sailing all my life so its really good to read of other people getting out on the water.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernadette View Post
    post up pics please then scot can make this a sticky…
    and I'm green with envy too… i have been working hard to get sailing all my life so its really good to read of other people getting out on the water.
    +1.

Pics coming once all the floor boards are down and the Sun is shining, it has been raining since we got here. We are also moored in a wind compression area, 20 kits in the channel 25- 30 on board.

Quote Originally Posted by varadero View Post
    Wednesday, 48 hrs on board. Every locker emptied, cleaned, restocked after throwing stuff away, 2 leaking hatches fixed, main engines and generator serviced and proved, one alternator replaced, hose on boiler burst and flooded port engine room, fixed. Solars and wind gen going great, all systems proved. Puffer switches on windlass replaced with micros, fridges and freezers topped up, toilets serviced, all strainers and filters cleaned, plus other stuff I cannot remember. Leave the dock tommorow and put a. Sail or two up.....
    Sounds busy, and productive. Now you get to start fixing things in remote locations, without access to the correct tools, parts or expertise. Oh, cruising.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Sounds busy, and productive. Now you get to start fixing things in remote locations, without access to the correct tools, parts or expertise. Oh, cruising.
    Cruising, AKA lots of maintainable in remote locations.

Haha, you want to see the pile of stuff on the dock.
    Quote Originally Posted by B_B View Post
    DAMHIK - make sure all 'spares' that came with the boat are actually FOR the boat...at least 12 of the 20 odd filters that came with our boat were for 'another' boat. The 'spare' drain plug for dingy was the wrong size. A half dozen fan belts that came with the boat were for a 'different' boat...the 'spare' transmission fluid was the wrong type, the 'extra' coolant was a type specifically not recommended...

Some boat owners keep all their incorrect purchases aboard - lessons learned!

Congratulations, thanks for putting another great thread down here too.
    Yachting, the only sport where you get to be a mechanic, electrician, plumber and carpenter

So, yesterday we bit the bullet. Crossed the St Francis Frame passage and dropped the hook in Cooper island. Spent ages hours, heaven. Then of to Road harbour to sign docs for the registration and spent the night there. Shopped for food and now we are over in Peter Island. This place has changed in 30 years.....

It is now just over a week on board, the kids are into a good routine, the small problems are being resolved, and we have done a good couple of sails. She goes really well and easy, just shy of 10 kts yesterday on the way to North Sound on a fetch 24 kts apparent. The BVI is close to what I remember from 25 years ago, just twice the people and moorings all over the place. The food is very expensive, as is the beer, but the rum is cheep and good, only the mixers are costly. Rain squalls and wind keep you on your toes, especially at night with the hatches. Work now seems a million miles away. My new registration papers are now in town with the radio licence, I shall pick them up later this week, no problem.....

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hunter View Post
    Congratulations, thanks for putting another great thread down here too.
    +1.
    One of the most enduring qualities of an old wooden boat is the smell it imparts to your clothing.

It has been some time now since I posted, because, well, we have been having fun sailing, teaching the kids, snorkling, meeting people, and making Avanti our home. We had not left the BVI because we have been waiting for our box of personal possessions to arrive from Spain. This is not gonna happen in time, so have 're routed to Guadaloupe. We will leave this morning for St Maarten, about 20 hours upwind, forecast is 15 - 20 kits E. This will be the family's first overnights and there is a bit of excitement in the air. The boat is good and am looking forward to a new area, less bareboats, and some decent bread. Afterwards we may drop in on rum pirate.

Good luck. Do you know abut the "Bridge tax" to go into the lagoon from the Dutch side?

Not going into lagoon.

Quote Originally Posted by varadero View Post
    Not going into lagoon.

But maybe it is time to change your location in the upper right corner, perhaps Caribbean, or the 7 Seas, or better yet "World." Sounds like a wonderful life, fair winds to you and yours.
    "Unrepentant Reprobate"
    Lew Barrett

Pictures?
    Hands too small: Can't build his Wall!

Frayed Knot Arts: Fancywork and Rope Jewelry
    http://www.frayedknotarts.com.html[

Quote Originally Posted by Vince Brennan View Post
    Pictures?
    Working of my phone, and do not know how..

Cheers Gareth.

Bobby emailed me some pictures, I'm sure he'll be along to explain them.

Last edited by Hwyl; 06-27-2016 at 05:18 PM.

Some more Bobby pictures.

and yet a third set of Bobby pictures.

Excellent is the right word , thats for sure.

Dem pictures don't need no explainin.

well, da-um, but don't it look like fun's being had!

enjoy
    bobby

So we beat all the way to St. Maarten, 24 hrs against the current, one reef, spent a day eating and shopping, then beat down to Kitts and Nevis, spent a day being bar flies, missed rummy due to comms probs, but will pass by again, then really beat to Antigua , 2 reefs. Now starts the work and a bit of expense. I will pass some more photos via Gareth, tiff it is ok, but we shall be here a couple of weeks. P.s. Cats do go up wind.

Beauteous!

Kevin

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Ok , just a quick update. In Antigua we replaced our watermarker membranes, rebuilt our stack pack, recovered our cockpit cushions and made the living areas ours, celebrated our daughter's 12th birthday, free dove for bugs caught fish, took kamikaze bus rides, and caught up with some really good old friends. We got the call that our stuff was going to arrive in Guadeloupe a round the 26 July , so we headed south. In Desais we followed the river bed up through dense jungle, rock to rock for over 2 hours, just b e fore giving up and returning by river we found the promised path that lead to a road to return. Next day down to the Saintes we got our first fish trap, over the side, knife in mouth, not required, just unlooped it from the prop. Couple of days glorification cheese and food Abundant at a reasonable price, then up to Pointe Litre to get our stuff. More stocking up on stuff that is expensive elsewhere (wine, cheese, Tec.) Then this morning headed south to get to Dominica before bad weather forecast. Yeah right, two 45 kt squall later and while bearing away from the second at 12 kts to reduce sail, we catch another effing fish trap, Chinese fire drill followed, all sail down, knife lashed to boat hook, not going over board in that, belly down on scoop, waves washing over, finally cut us free. Any way, we are now anchored in Prince Rupert, bad weather coming tonite, then going into the south, so will head to Martinique on Monday. Good night.

When you say it like that it just sounds so...relaxing! LOL.

Sounds like finest-kind adventuring.