Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345 LastLast

Thread: Plywood Snipe build

Default Re: Plywood Snipe build

Very nice. Yea I’ve been thinking a lot about my chain plates and whether it’s the best to utilize the type that don’t strap horizontally to the framing/blocking. I’m going to epoxy some additional blocking under the deck, but still concerned. Great work on priming the entire boat the way you did. I’m always impressed in how pragmatic you are on your build. Makes for a higher quality end product with fewer surprises along the way. Yesterday as I was dry fitting trim work inside of the mast hole that the hole I cut appeared wrong. First I thought the centerboard vertical post was off center but after some measuring I confirmed the mast hole was skewed a few degrees off of the midship centerline. Spend the rest of yesterday fixing it. How did the cypress work out for you? I used it for the chine and shear clamps but in the end I found it to be too soft, it would not take screws very well. Maybe the stock I got was not very good. I read somewhere that cypress can be very good or very bad depending on where in the flitch it is cut. I switched to clear White pine for the decking. I’m nearly complete cutting and dry fitting the balance of the mahogany trim this weekend. She’s starting to look pretty imho

45CF1259-631A-4F8B-B7D9-4A0406C2BCB1.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Spiritofthestorm; 05-03-2020 at 02:33 PM.

Wow, that trim work is looking nice. Sorry to hear about having to adjust the mast hole. I'm hoping that stepping mine on the deck will work out all right. My uncle who used to race them in the 60's talked me into it (also made the deck framing simpler).

I haven't had too many issues with the cypress. I think you're right about its holding power for screws. That is the big reason why I used through bolts on the chain plates as I didn't want them to rip out of the cypres sheer clamp and blocking. That'd really ruin my day on the water.

I did notice that there is a huge difference in density and workability between dark heartwood, lighter heartwood, and sapwood. Luckily I think I was able to pick and choose some of the better stock. *fingers crossed* I'm very happy I went with the white oak bed logs for the daggerboard case and the plywood is Merranti A/B BS1088 so it should be plenty strong and hold up well.

Trying to decide if I want to start working on the daggerboard or rudder while I wait for more primer to be delivered. I've got a large sheet of 6061 T-6 aluminum leaning in a corner of the shop ready to go.

Maybe you can bring your new Snipe to Dallas for next years Southwestern Regatta. It’s usually held over Memorial Day weekend. It’s one of the longest running snipe regattas in the country hosted by Snipe fleet #1. Classic snipes are always raced. I’ll be there if you are!!! (It’s on my home lake a few minutes from my house).

I would love to attend! That's not too far of a haul from northern Mississippi. Maybe the measurer to come out and measure our boats at the same time. Maybe gizmojoe could bring his too. I don't know if mine will meet the current specs but it'd be interesting to find out and to get an official hull number.

Northeast Pa and the Mouth of the Myakka River

Looks great Spirit. Are you scarphing rubrails also? If so you are 24 hours ahead of me , Lol.20200505_114519 (1).jpg Cloudsurfer, your boat is looking good too. Not sure if i'll make it to Dallas. I did tow a sailboat to Fla (same size as Snipe) 1100 miles in 18 hours with a broken ankle, so anythings possible.

Started work on the daggerboard today. Debating what to use to cut it out. I know you can cut aluminum with wood working tools, I just don't know if I really want to use my circular saw on this 3/8 inch thick plate especially since it has a rather coarse blade on it. I think that would give me the cleanest cut though. I have a sawzall, jigsaw, and angle grinder, but I have a feeling I would end up with pretty jagged edges and have to do a lot of hand filing. Also trying to avoid going to the store unnecessarily. Thoughts?
    IMG_20200507_164238_735.jpg

Cut it with the sawzall or jigsaw, then finish to the line and round and taper with the angle grinder fitted with a coarse sanding disk.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Thanks for the advice. I tried the jigsaw and sawzall first with brand new blades and they really didn't want to cut. It was super slow. I ended up using a 48 tooth carbide tipped circular saw for the straight cuts. It went through like a hot knife through butter. Left a nice clean cut too. For the semicircular cut I used my bandsaw for most of it and then a jig saw for the part I couldn't get to due to the limited throat of my bandsaw. The bandsaw worked great and was nearly as fast as the circular saw. Cutting the last 4 inches of the semicircle with the jigsaw was painfully slow. I think the blade speed was just too fast and the teeth gullets kept clogging up. Tried with and without cutting fluid on all machines and cutting fluid/oil is definitely the way to go for all of them. Still need to taper the fore and aft edges. Will probably use the flap disk on angle grinder as suggested. Going to work on that and the wooden handle tomorrow.
    IMG_20200508_135557_680.jpg
    Also used a router & homemade jig to cut the inspection ports in the forward bulkhead. Would've been easier to do this before they were installed but I hadn't decided on what I was going to do for covers. I received the deck plates / inspection ports I ended up ordering so that gave me the measurements for the holes. Will install them once the final coat of paint is done.
    IMG_20200507_164343.jpg

It's looking nice. To taper the aluminum plate, a belt sander will work also, and might give a more even finish than the angle grinder.
    -Dave

Well, after 2 days of sanding and buffing....
    IMG_20200510_202921_287.jpg
    Now to make the handle.

Not sure where you are on your chain plates, but, anyway . . .

If left to my own devices, I would have built a battleship instead of a real Lightning. Fortunately, before my new Lightning got off the lofting table, I bought a 1956 Lightning built by Skip Etchells. At first blush, it seemed that the frames and deck beams seemed way too small. But I eventually learned that, to build a competitive boat, you have to strike a fine balance between making it sturdy and making it light.

Anyway, about the chain plates . . . On the Nickels & Holman Lightnings, which were planked with 5/8" WR Cedar, the chain plates, which went almost down to the chine logs, were held in place by about 12 short wood screws. They were just screwed into the topside planks without any through-bolting or glue.

I know of some N & H Lightnings that are 60 years old and the chain plates are still holding.

If chainplates installed that way will hold on a Lightning, it would seem they would also hold on a Snipe.

If it were me, I would try to take a look at a wooden Snipe, and see how the chainplates were done, and copy it. The builders of wooden Snipes knew what they were doing.

Spiritofthestorm & gizmojoe, how is the trim work going? I think we all want to know who is winning your competition.

Here today's progress in my shop. Got the daggerboard handle mostly complete:
    IMG_3365b.jpg
    The aluminum (couldn't find 1/4" brass or bronze at the local stores due to the COVID) and brass pins will be cut off and finished flush once the epoxy cures
    IMG_3368b.jpg
    It's probably overkill but thought it would look nice. I think the handle is probably a bit beefy so I might end up shaping the center a bit. Maybe add a hand hold somehow. I do want to keep the bottom of the handle flat so it can seal off the daggerboard slot when down. Thoughts?

20200514_134841 (1).jpgThis is real time so I think Spirits pulling away. Maybe he's out sailing! Daggerboard looks great.

Got my rudder roughed out and finally finished the interior paint. Now to get the decks installed. How's everyone else doing? There are few things I hate more than painting so it was tough to stay motivated. Looking forward to more wood working!

Fghj.jpgimg_20200608_202933_127.jpg

Looking good Cloud! I'm pretty much done, just waiting on some sails. Did you make a mast and boom yet?

Joe

Sorry Iíve been working on another hobby (this is my son in the photo not me )
    2985EA40-7E7F-4482-8AE5-6322A1564DD0.jpg
    Last edited by Spiritofthestorm; 07-04-2020 at 09:03 PM.

Finally had some time to make some more progress. I've got the decks, rudder, and rub rails installed. Not too much left to do on the hull. Just need to sand/blend in the rails, & apply finish to the decks. Some of the small tasks remaining are making a tiller, mast step, and splash guards for the fore-deck. I would love to see some pictures or sketches of y'all's wooden tiller, mast step, and splash guard designs for inspiration as I know they vary quite a bit from boat to boat. My sail kit also arrived but I'm planning on working on sewing that together when the bad winter weather hits any week now.
    PXL_20201017_185829820a.jpgPXL_20201017_185904154a.jpg

For what it is worth, here is a picture of my Lightning tiller. Made from ash . . . heard too many stories about tillers made from less strong wood that broke at the most inopportune times.

fullsizeoutput_23e.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

I like the truss style design. Looks super light and strong!

Do you have a plan for your mast? Are you going to build a wooden one or buy an aluminum. I'm getting ready to build a wooden one for my Snipe but I'm kind of lost as where to start.

I have two wooden snipe masts and booms. I could provide pictures and measurements. Just tell me what you are looking for. Both of my masts have slots for the sail. One of my booms is slotted and the other has a track.

Jim

I'm really just trying to figure out what construction method they used. Whether it's solid or some sort of hollow form and how the slot for the sale is made. I'm leaning towards using a bird's mouth spar construction but wasn't sure how I would incorporate the slot for the sail.

Good morning Cloudsurfer. Both my masts are solid--made from two glued up pieces:

IMG_5038.jpg

Jim
    Last edited by Dunphy Snipe; 01-14-2021 at 09:25 AM.

20210113_165214.jpgCloud, my mast has internal halyards. You can't tell in this pic but I can't see a seam where 2 pieces would be glued together.

Quote Originally Posted by gizmojoe View Post
    20210113_165214.jpgCloud, my mast has internal halyards. You can't tell in this pic but I can't see a seam where 2 pieces would be glued together.

Either they were very good joiners or they had a CNC wooodworm.... For the purpose of getting a new mast on the boat it might be as well to forget birdmouth construction as this is really only applicable for round spars and it would be a major project to incorporate a luff groove.You really ought to use a groove rather than a metal track as it will be considerably lighter.Regardless of whether racing is part of the plan it would be sensible to take a look at the class rules as a boat which conforms to them will be much easier to sell on than one which doesn't.

20210113_165827.jpgScreenshot_20210113-170933_Gallery.jpgCloud, here you can see where my bolt rope goes in at bottom of mast, construction appears the same as Dunphy Snipes. Other pic is top of mast where you can see a seam for the first 3 feet or so. Mast is painted but nowhere else can I see a seam. The seam runs port and starboard. I'm assuming it was2 pieces of 2x4 (or similar dimension) stock glued together. The hole for the boltrope is approx. 7/16 of an inch.

Hope this helps.

Thank you all! These pics are very helpful! A.J. LaPlant (not sure if he's on this forum) also found and sent me a copy of the wooden snipe mast plans that he said acquired back when he was going to build a replacement for a broken mast. The plans are drawn/signed by T.A Wells. The plans show a mast made from 2 blanks routed out and then glued together just like your pictures. I'm working on re-drawing the plans in CAD to check dimensions and update them for the 21st century. I'll post the file when I'm done.

Any suggestions on material? I've heard picking trough 2x12 spruce stock from the big box stores and cutting it down to quarter sawn blanks can work if you can find some with tight grain structure but all the lumber yards here are sold out of anything over 12'. I have a bunch of cypress left over from the framing that I'm considering using instead. I have enough walnut too which would look nice but I know would be WAY to heavy. Thoughts?

Look carefully.Spruce would be the number one choice but Douglas fir would work.If the boat mostly lives undercover you might be able to use a small piece of that walnut to make a tougher entry for the luff groove.If you look around there may be examples of that sort of thing-perhaps 5-6 inches would be typical.

Well, I finally got her in the water. I ended up sailing with just the jib because it was very windy and it was my first time out in this boat.
    IMG_20221105_222528_271.jpgIMG_20221105_223231_439.jpgIMG_20221106_103919_360.jpgIMG_20221106_105124_860.jpg

Very nice. She looks quite fine out there.
    -Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Woxbox View Post
    Very nice. She looks quite fine out there.
    thank you!

Looks great! Congratulations!

Thanks!